Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Reliability Monitor

• 26-12-2008 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just got a new comp last week with Vista. Looking at the Reliability Monitor now it only lists one day! Its yesterday,and the only thing is logged is the installation of a game demo. It only has one days data, nothing for today-even though the comp has been on half the day and one or two programs crashed(hence why I loaded the monitor). Im sure I looked at it the day after getting the new comp and it had lots of things logged. Any ideas? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

in the upper right where it says index set it from date to view all and see if that helps.

Reformatted mine 3 days ago: day one had only 1 entry for a driver install. day 2 had all the updating and installing i had to do (few hundred entries there - christ)

Theres only 1 day because your computer was not set up before leaving the factory. when you first turned it on you had to go through the process of setting up the administrative account and computer-name: that was the activation. Day Zero starts there.

as time goes on the reliability index will go down. After 3-4 months the reliability index will fall to around 0.5 and 0.4, which is usually when I reformat using the recovery manager application and my backup partition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Thanks very much for the reply Overheal. I did check out the date selection as you had suggested but the only option there is Christmas Day! :D Maybe there's a sign there or something? ... But as I mentioned Ive had the comp since the first week of Dec and I know in the past there were entries . . . very strange!

an oddity.

I wouldnt be too concerned. You will probably end up running the RaP monitor about 3 times a year.

So today I turn it on and it doesnt even have yesterday's info! It says it may have detected data corruption and has reset. Its almost funny to think MS's Reliability Monitor is itself unreliable! :rolleyes:

I'm begining to wonder if its not just the first sign of a larger problem.

go ahead and go to Start and run the Command prompt ("CMD") In Administrative mode, then invoke "chkdsk /f"

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    I'm begining to wonder if its not just the first sign of a larger problem.

go ahead and go to Start and run the Command prompt ("CMD") In Administrative mode, then invoke "chkdsk /f"

Now Im worried! :eek:

Anyway I couldnt run it because I need "elevated privileges" - theres only one user on this comp(me) and its an admin account....strange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Good old UAC. Click start and in the search bar type "cmd" right click and run as Administrator.

Should work.

Id agree with Overheal, any form of corruption of Event logging or performance monitoring is normally the sign of a larger problem, it might be a case where Windows hasnt indexed the files correctly on the hard disk, a chkdsk normally fixes that.

Thanks to you both for your replies.

I've just finished a chkdsk that I ran from vista(thanks for the tip Cryos,tested that and it worked-Ill remember for next time). Anyway the chkdsk took ages but in the end just loaded up windows - I was expecting it to pause at the end with a report.

Anyway, thats done. Reliability&Perf thing still has nothing in it, just text to say it hasn't been running 24 hours or is corrupt. Following a Google, Ive gone into the folder and renamed the databases to .OLD hoping it will now re-index or whatever it has to do. And I checked the relevant entry in TaskSchd and its been running succesfully a number of times a day from day one . . . Strange!

Thanks for your replies!

Advertisement