Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up Autostar... But how do i find North?

Options
  • 26-12-2008 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi All. I just got my 1st telescope. It's a Meade and it comes with Autostar. But when setting it up you have to align it North to start with.. But I've no compass. Is there something on the scope that will show me north ? or anyway to find north ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 murphyme

Don't know much about Autostar but without a compass Polaris would be your best bet.

Also, if you do get a compass, remember to check how the metal in the scope will effect the compass when it's held close.

Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kalli

yah. definetly find polaris.
    sun goes down in the west. so when you know the general driection of where the sun goes down then stand in such a way that your left shoulder is pointing in this direction. head straight and you're looking in a nothish direction

there you will find "Ursa Mayor" ( "the big bear", "the frying pan" or whatever people call that constellation). most people know it. when you make a line between the two stars furthest away from the "handle" upwards then this will lead to polaris. this is direction north

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PolarisB.jpg

Kalli

Advertisement