Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPhone in Italy

• 26-12-2008 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

HI,

Anyone any experience of purchasing an IPhone in Italy. I believe they come unlocked by default and they can be sold by several networks.

Any advice greatfully recieved as I don't understand Italian.

I will be in Italy next week for a couple of days.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'd be interested to know more about this too. I'm guessing the iPhone interface is in Italian. Any way to switch it to English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

it straight forward..
    buy, pur your sim in, hook up to itunes, and 2 min later you are away.

its not set to itilian..well mine wasnt..i assume this is because i activated it with my itunes a/c which is irish, not italian...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

I believe you can buy iPhones unlocked in Belgium as well. I am heading over there for a couple of days. Has anybody bought an iPhone 3G in Belgium?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

CyberDave wrote: »
    I believe you can buy iPhones unlocked in Belgium as well. I am heading over there for a couple of days. Has anybody bought an iPhone 3G in Belgium?

As far as I know in Belgium unlock BUT is country lock so it can only be use with providers in Belgium, if you were to get it you would not be able to use in Ireland unless u use a SIM adapter or jailbreak and when available unlock it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Hi.

I just purchased an iphone 3G in Belgium.

No contract, no SIMLOCK, no country restrictions.

Came home, stuck in my three.ie SIM card, fired up itunes, and 2 mins later I am up and running. All applications working perfectly.

EDIT: Let me add that one shop told me I could only use in with Belgian SIMS. I checked 2 other shops and they confirmed this was bullsh*t. I purchased it in a big electronics chain called "Saturn" and got a 2 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

I am back from Belgium and didn't even check out the iPhones over there because of the earlier advice posted. I wish people would make sure what they are saying is 100% correct before they post. Agh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭finbarrk

How much did the phone cost in Belgium?

I paid €525 for 8gig.

The 16gig was €625 (€615 in some places)

There are no "deals"... it is illegal for a network to subsidize the cost of a phone.

Terrible if you are in Belgium, fantastic if you are from outside Belgium!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

What kinda price is it in italy ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Why even bother getting an iphone in another country now? If its the same price? Get it in NI and unlock it with yellowsn0w.

Because I get my 2 year warranty?

Because I don't have to worry about how future iphone updates will affect my unlocking?

Ditto re: application compatibility?

Because I was in Belgium anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

3DataModem wrote: »
    Because I get my 2 year warranty?

Because I don't have to worry about how future iphone updates will affect my unlocking?

Ditto re: application compatibility?

Because I was in Belgium anyway?

I have the same warranty.

No future update will affect the unlock, it does not work that way, if I am wrong then simply do not get the update until Dev-Team crack it, which they will.

Aplication compatibility? I dont understand what you mean by that......

Ok you were in Belgium anyway......was it nice? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭finbarrk

3DataModem wrote: »
    I paid €525 for 8gig.

The 16gig was €625 (€615 in some places)

There are no "deals"... it is illegal for a network to subsidize the cost of a phone.

Terrible if you are in Belgium, fantastic if you are from outside Belgium!

God, I thought you were getting some sort of a bargain by buying it abroad.
    Thats a rob for any phone.

I have the same warranty.

Unlocking a carrier-locked iphone voids the warranty. Even if you do a system restore, apple can determine which iphone's were used on 'unauthorized' networks (especially if used to connect to apple services e.g. itunes / appstore etc). To me it is worth a few extra quid not to take this (small) risk.
    Ok you were in Belgium anyway......was it nice? :)

Yes it was :). Very cold at night, but a great new year's eve.

finbarrk wrote: »
    God, I thought you were getting some sort of a bargain by buying it abroad.

Hell no. iPhone is not a bargain anywhere! Just don't fancy being stuck with O2 for life (starting with a €45 per month contract for 18 months), when I have a similar deal with three.ie for a lot less than that and can move to any other network as I choose.
    Thats a rob for any phone.

You're probably right, but with the GPS, email, web-browser and full video ipod features, it's not a total bumming, just a gentle ripoff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Thanks for all the advice here. I got a 16B model for 569 euro in a TIM store in Italy.

They had the 8GB model for about 500 euro.

The shop assistant authorised the phone on itunes and checked my 3 sim worked in it before I left the shop.

Great with 3 as I can roam like I am at home on the 3 italy network.

Thanks for all the advice.

As regards the previous posters, not any cheaper than Ireland, but the fact that I can use any network without having to hack the phone is great. 3 are handy for me because I travel a lot in countrys that have the 3 network.

It is doing an update to 2.2 now :)

Advertisement