Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hibernian Driving School - opionions?

Options
  • 26-12-2008 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Just wondering if anyone has used the Hibernian driving school and obtained any of the benefits on offer? I am a brand new learner driver looking to get a driver instructor after the xmas break.

I won't be able to obtain the 6 months free accompanied driver insurance as I am hoping to buy my own car in the next few weeks.

Has anyone gotten 50% off their insurance having used the Hibernian school? Do you need to buy 10 lessons plus one free to obtain the discount?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

The Hibernian school was my first choice when I started lessons back in August....but they never returned my call so I never got to try them out. I have heard people say that the discounts add up to very little but that's not from personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

As far as I know they only do two hour lessons. Check that the instructor is RSA registered...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭jenny4385

hey,
    if your from dublin pm me i have an amazing instructor.... i was terrifed of driving but just applied for my test after 10 lessons..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Just back from a lesson with Hibernian in Athlone and I thought it was excellent. I've gone to lessons with another school in Athlone and Hibernian was much, much better.

Test in 2 weeks and feeling relatively confident and the lessons are getting rid of my bad habits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

I too was hoping to get opinions on the Hibernian Driving School, however I bit the bullet today and rang them, I have my first driving test booked for tomorrow!

So will let you know how I get on!

Hope they're good though as I've booked and paid for the 10 lessons up front *eeek*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

I'm just after finishing my 5th of 10 lessons with the Hibernian driving school. So far I'm quite impressed and would recommend them. Also the 6 months free accompanied driving insurance is a great offer IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Facelessman

I really appreciate everyones' responses!

So Van have you received a discount by getting to the stage where you are good enough to sit the test?

To be fair, Hibernian seem to give young drivers a chance especially with the ignition discount after getting your license and passing their test.

Blanco are you based in Dublin? There are lots of Hibernian schools in the across the city. I wonder if the standard is as high in all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Actually, I'm on Quinn but I was looking for some pre-test lessons, and rather than just pick random-<SNIP> driving-school (which I did before to my detriment) I went with the brand!

EDIT: TheVan - please read the charter

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

Blanco are you based in Dublin? There are lots of Hibernian schools in the across the city. I wonder if the standard is as high in all of them.

Yes I'm in Dublin. I have a friend doing lessons with Hibernian in another part of Dublin with a different instructor and he seems fully satisfied with the service too if that's any help. I'd imagine all of the Hibernian instructors would be of similar standard but of course I can't be sure!

Booked my first lesson with Hibernian for Friday night. Will post to let everyone know how it goes.......

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I had my lesson on Friday. It went pretty well. I do not think I have a complete impression of the instructor as he seemed to be more assessing my level rather than offering advice. I would need a second lesson to give a full endorsement.

I called Hibernian and got the full details on their discounts for young drivers:

There seems to be two options to reduce your premium before passing the test; reaching module 3 ability per your Hibernian Driving School instructor or passing the Provisional Ignition Test. The important distinction with attaining module 3 is that this means you have the ability to do the test but not necessarily pass it. You do not need to do a minimum number of lessons to attain module 3 as it is simply based on ability. The lady I spoke to said this was a better option than trying to pass the Provisional Ignition as this test is at the same standard as the actual driving test. If you attain module 3 or pass the Provisional Ignition, the 'young driver loading' of approx. 30% is removed from your premium pro-rated over the remaining period of your policy. One thing to note is if you do not pass the driving test withing a year of obtaining module 3, the loading will be put back on your policy.

The next step is to hopefully pass the test. This will give a further 23% reduction again pro-rated over the remaining life of the policy.

Next step is to sit the Ignition Test for full license drivers. The ignition is easier than the driving test I have been told. If you pass the ignition you will get a min 20% reduction again pro rated. The ignition reduction can be up to 40% pro-rated though if you obtain a merit grade. The ignition reduction lasts for 4 years so long as you drive a car with an engine not more than 1.6l

It seems you can reduce your premium hugely if you follow the right steps. Once you take out the next policy being a year older, having a full license and hopefully one year no claims bonus will also help.

I would like to hear from anyone who has gone through the steps above to see how the reductions worked out in practice..........

Advertisement