Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam

Options
  • 26-12-2008 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

do you need to be online while this is downloading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Yes because your downloading the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

do you need to be online while this is downloading?

is anyone else in fits after reading this? :pac:

is anyone else in fits after reading this? :pac:

Me.

I think he bought the games physical copy and wanted to activate via Steam, but when you do that it automatically starts downloading the game. Now I think he thought it was copying the files from the disk for installation later, but was actually downloading the full game from the games store.

Well that's my Jonathan Creek on it.

Me.

I think he bought the games physical copy and wanted to activate via Steam, but when you do that it automatically starts downloading the game. Now I think he thought it was copying the files from the disk for installation later, but was actually downloading the full game from the games store.

Well that's my Jonathan Creek on it.

nah, it was probably just steam installing the updates. anytime i've seen people giving out about Steam 'downloading the game' that's what it's turned out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Here lads, are ye able to give any info on this. Bought the game today, have installed and activated via Steam, but am trying to actually start up the game. ITs invariably saying 'Ready to play in...'. Does this always happen, or is it just the first time you go to play it? Cos I don't always have an internet connection on my laptop, so would be annoying if I had to do it each time.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Here lads, are ye able to give any info on this. Bought the game today, have installed and activated via Steam, but am trying to actually start up the game. ITs invariably saying 'Ready to play in...'. Does this always happen, or is it just the first time you go to play it? Cos I don't always have an internet connection on my laptop, so would be annoying if I had to do it each time.

it's just downloading the update. this rarely happens. I've been using steam for the past 6 years, once you get used to it it doesn't bother you in the slightest, in fact it's a boon because you don't have to worry about reactivating or losing discs etc.

it's just downloading the update. this rarely happens. I've been using steam for the past 6 years, once you get used to it it doesn't bother you in the slightest, in fact it's a boon because you don't have to worry about reactivating or losing discs etc.

Ok, thats cool then. But now, I'm on the next stage, its ready to play, but nothing happens, no matter how often I go to launch the game. Double click on icon, it says preparing to launch, and I paste code to copypad, and then 'Launch ame'. Then goes blank and nothing happens. Any idea on this.

EDIT: the status in the Steam thing is 100% ready, so obviously haven't done anything wrong.

Mushy wrote: »
    Ok, thats cool then. But now, I'm on the next stage, its ready to play, but nothing happens, no matter how often I go to launch the game. Double click on icon, it says preparing to launch, and I paste code to copypad, and then 'Launch ame'. Then goes blank and nothing happens. Any idea on this.

EDIT: the status in the Steam thing is 100% ready, so obviously haven't done anything wrong.

weird. never had that happen before. first port of call for any steam related errors is to reboot.

Have rebooted/restarted the computer, but nothing. When I go into the Games section of my Steam account, it shows as been available, and prepares to launch, but then nothing. Tis getting annoying already.

DVD FM09 runs without the disk. Just FYI :)

• Advertisement

Woohoo, got it working now, so all is fine in FM land!

DVD FM09 runs without the disk. Just FYI :)

aye i know... but if you wanted to reinstall or put it on another machine, lost the disk and you didn't have the use of Steam. there's where the disk might come in handy ;)

Steam is great though. any time you get a new machine, install Steam and log into your account, and set it to install the games. go watch the telly for an hour or two and they are all ready to play. it's great, your entire library of games installed in a couple of clicks.

aye i know... but if you wanted to reinstall or put it on another machine, lost the disk and you didn't have the use of Steam. there's where the disk might come in handy ;)

Steam is great though. any time you get a new machine, install Steam and log into your account, and set it to install the games. go watch the telly for an hour or two and they are all ready to play. it's great, your entire library of games installed in a couple of clicks.

Yeah it has it's advantages all right.

Advertisement