Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me please

Options
  • 26-12-2008 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi there folks this is my first post on this site so sry if ive done anything wrong.
    My sister got her husband a gps 4 xmas "garmin vista eTrex HCx " and gave it to me to figure out. aragh. He does a lot of hill walking so he wants to have a detailed map. I dont know where to start as i know nothing about them does anyone know a site or even a thread on this site that gives a step by step instructions on what to do.
    I have DL maps of ireland off this site http://emerald-island.eu/wikka/GpsMap
    But have no idea how to put them on to the device.
    I have also got a few off demonoid. What format do they need to be?
    The one from emerald came in .img.
    Help me cause im lost, too much useless info off too many sites

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You probably need to install a copy of Mapource to the PC first. I've a feeling that version via that link will not allow you to install it though and at the moment I cannot remember where I got my initial copy of the software from. MapSource is the program that you'll want to use in order to generate the maps to then get transfered to the GPS.

Do the Emeral Isle map sets now come as an installer package, or do you just get a bunch of the .img files and maybe a readme or two? If it is still just the .img files then it is a bit more challenging to get the files manually installed to your PC and I'll be infront of the wrong PC for the next several days before I'd be able to be able to give you details on how I did it.

You can get automagical installers for some of the Open Street Map data now for certain pars of Europe, which whilst not totally complete around Ireland yet is getting there gradually, is free, and may even work for routing as well now. It would at least give you some kind of maps to be able to put on the unit for now until the Emerald Isle ones can be figured out:
    http://emexes.powweb.com/osm/

Advertisement