Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clutch problem (I think)

• 26-12-2008 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭

I had my NSR parked up for a while and when I went to take it for a spin again when I pulled in the clutch lever and knocked her down into 1st the bike cut straight out, It seems the clutch is not engaging fully even with it fully pulled in. I've since changed the clutch cable thinking that the cable had probably stretched while I had the bike parked up but this has not made any difference, My knowledge of bikes is pretty limited so any suggestions or ideas anyone has would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I'd look at the sensor on the kick stand first. It could be stuck. This would mean that even if the kick stand is up, as soon as 1st is engaged it cuts out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Aye I checked for that, When I bring up the stand its knocking off the warning light, With the engine stopped and I drop it into first with the clutch in I still cannot freewheel the bike with the clutch lever fully pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

if youre clutch was working fine when you parked it up then its not going to "brake" just because it was parked up,let the bike warm up a bit and make sure that the new clutch cable is ajusted correctly,also as said above it could well be youre side stand switch,try cleaning the connections at the top of side stand if youre still getting no joy cut the two wires and connect them together this will by-pass the switch,what year is youre nsr as newer bikes also have clutch switches look for two wires going into youre clutch lever clamp and do the same as above to disconnect it and bypass switch,when youve found the problem you can by new switches

Just an update on this (Only gotten to try it out now) I've tried bypassing the clutch switch and still had the same problem. Since the bike is lurching forward a small bit once I try engage first its almost as though the plates are not fully disengaged. Don't spose anyone knows a mechanic that will do call out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The plates are stuck together, Put the bike in gear pull the lever and rock it back and forward, this can break them free sometimes.
    Failing that just lay the bike over undo the cover and free the plates.
    It is common on bike that have been idle for a while warm the engine up first it helps to break the plates free.

• Advertisement

That was exactly it, I really owe you one cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Asok wrote: »
    That was exactly it, I really owe you one cheers!

No Prob, glad to help a fellow biker out.:)

Advertisement