Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More cylinders - better? And if so, why?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

B11gt00e wrote: »
    The term 'double-six' used by daimler to describe their v12 engines to me seem to imply that their v12 is just 2 v6's working in tandem!?

V8 or V12 just describes the layout - it either is or it isn't. As far as Daimler is concerned, its just Daimler-speak for the Jaguar V12 - otherwise known as 'badge engineering'. It's a V12, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

kuro_man wrote: »
    f

I have a 4.3 V8 that easily does 30mph+ - the same as the 2.8L alternative.

Presuming you mean 30+ mpg? I would be amazed at any such feat assuming driving it at normal speeds etc. What is the car? I just dont believe that for an unmodified V8. A merc 430? Dont trust the elec mpg readout.....its hugely optimistic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

E92 wrote: »
    You need to drive a straight 6, if you're the type of person who understands what cylinders are and are open to persuasion about then benefits then all it takes is a quick drive of one and you'll find out straight away to pardon the pun:)! They are a teriffic engine configuration, and it's the smoothest engine this side of a V12 too.

Absolutely. From my experience a straight 6 is smoother than a V8 (and presumably a V12). The V configuration has an uneven beat at idle that travels. My dad had a Rover V8 that could be heard idling in the driveway by way of some sort of low frequency 'thrum' that travelled through walls. No other engine configuration had the same effect.

They're all great at 5,000 rpm though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

As was said earlier I was definitely under the impression that the I6 config is the only truly balanced engine simply because of its cylinder arrangement.

V6s and V8s are not as smooth and require lots of balancing to achieve smooth operation. V12s are only smooth in their traditional double I6 guise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    One word smoothness- 6 cylinder engines have overlapping power strokes so less vibrations are transmitted to the passengers. A V6 has a power stroke for every third of a revolution and with the cranks set at 60 degrees intervals the engine is smooth running and resonably balanced. Plus the larger a engine in general the less work it has to do so reliability can be a benefit as the engine doesnt have to work as hard as a 4 pot.

+1...

nothing like the old m20 engine, only compareable to the old e-type jag... or lexus soarer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Mr.David wrote: »
    Presuming you mean 30+ mpg? I would be amazed at any such feat assuming driving it at normal speeds etc. What is the car? I just dont believe that for an unmodified V8. A merc 430? Dont trust the elec mpg readout.....its hugely optimistic!

yes, I meant 30mpg!
    That was based on actual consumption over a cross-country drive, without being conserative on the trottle.

A merc 430? Very good guess - its a C 43 (the same engine)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

peasant wrote: »
    The biggest single cylinder motorbike to my knowledge was the Suzuki DR 800 (779 cc) (bit of a tractor) ...put four of those in a row and you'd have a 3.1 liter four cylinder. That size seems to be about the maximum do-able without ending up with an actual tractor.

The biggest production piston in the Motorcycle world was made by Honda for their 1800 V Twin, a 900cc Piston, which was truly and utterly ridiculous. My Duke 916 has 458cc Pistons, and that's rough as fook at the best of times.

Advertisement