Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a suppressor

Options
  • 26-12-2008 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Tomorrow I am going to <snip> to either buy a CA36K;

Or a G36c;

The thing is I want to get a suppressor for which ever one I buy. But i don't know what is a good suppressor or what will fit them or even if a suppressor is worth it.

Since I'm going tomorrow I need to know asap what you think I should do.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

as long as the silencer is a -14mm thread it will fit, airsoft silencers (well real world silencers as well really) are not like in the movies, they will change the report from the aeg change the tone as it where, its more cosmetic and down to personal preference

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭TheZenWithin

I was looking at a thread on a different forum and someone said that they noticed a big difference in the report so I am a bit confused. Will the reps know what they are talking about and wont sell me something saying that it will work when they only think it could work in theory. I'm gonna be dropping €400 in there tomorrow and I want to make the most of it.

depends on the aeg, if i fit a silencer to my g36 i get a big difference in it output, this is not really a silencing effect more a change in the tone to a more bass like tone

where as on my tm p90 and m14 fitting a silencer has far more of a silencing effect this is because most of the noise form a aeg is from the gearbox, the noise depends a lot on how well its shimmed and motor height for example,

you can always as the mia guys to try the silencer for you, but unfortunately you will get no guarantees on a forums as to the results you will get from fitting a silence, other people experience can give you a lard stick to go by, but no guarantee im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

I feel stupid but... report?

just the sound it makes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Puding wrote: »
    just the sound it makes

Lol fair enough.... The suppressor I have for my M4 doesn't make much of a difference tbh

Doomofman wrote: »
    I feel stupid but... report?

report is just referring to how many decibels it makes when firing.

Thanks puding. I'll do that then. I did think that the AEG had a good bit to do with it but I'm very new to airsoft but I learn fast. Now I have to go luck for my g17...I can't remember where I hid it form my siblings. :(

Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Oddly, I have both of those rifles here, along with about a dozen silencers.

Silencers in airsoft are a tricky thing. Most of them are just there for show. Many people use them simply to allow them to thread a longer inner barrel, others use them for looks. However, some aeg's do benefit from silencers, though they are few and far between. The most noticeable of these is the P90. Without a silencer it sounds like an average aeg. With any decent silencer, all the high end noise is lost and it gives a satisfying, bassy thump to each shot.
    However, this effect is rarely noticeable on most aegs so don't expect much. Unless you like the look of it, don't bother with it.

Silencers in airsoft come in two types, the common foam type and the less common baffled type. The foam type range from about 30 to 60 euro depending on how fancy it is. They rarely make any difference beyond taking some of the high end snap off the sound the piston makes as it strikes home. However, unless you're using a metal piston head on a particularly closed (internally) design reciever with a short barrel, the acoustics aren't going to be affected hugely by that foam at an audible level.
    Baffled ones work more efficiently, and are very close in design to the operation of a real silencer. However, they're rare and are usually only found for specific rifles. For example, the TM VSR G-Spec uses a baffled silencer. Fired without it, it has a noticeable crisp cracking noise like breaking a twig in a quiet wood. With it, it sounds like an angels fart; near silent and slightly apologetic.

With the "how it works" bit out of the way, the bones of what you should know about getting one for those two choices of rifle is this: It'll do shag all for you except make your rifle longer. There's no change in pitch or tone from either rifle using any of the silencers I've tried, from cheapy 20 euro Element ones to Gucci-as-all-hell Madbull Halo and Blackside ones.
    Ask to try it with the silencer on before you buy. If you like the look of it, that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

Laylax Carbon Fibre Mode-2 Silencer.

Best silencer on the market report wise :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

gemtech halo makes my m700 silent and allows longer tightbore barrel, 650mm :cool: but that has not gearbox, really depends on the gun. sounds good and makes a bit of a difference on my g&g mp5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭G3-Nut

by the way lads, i have a small silencer on my 416, its about 3 inches in lenght, it is insulated...the thing is you will only notice wether it works if the AEG is fired in youre direction...i noticed that with it on, lads dont seem to hear me firing and them...it kept happening at my last skirmish....it seems to take away that clack-clack-clack-clack noise rom an AEG being fired at you...so in my books i aint taking it off:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭moggser

G3-Nut wrote: »
    by the way lads, i have a small silencer on my 416, its about 3 inches in lenght, it is insulated...the thing is you will only notice wether it work if the AEG is fire in youre direction...i noticed that with it on, lads dont seem to hear me firing and them...it kept happening at my last skirmish....it seems to take away that clack-clack-clack-clack noise rom an AEG being fired at you...so in my books i aint taking it off:rolleyes:

but you do know the clack clack comes from the motor bora??
    it dulls it a bit bit not to much i have one one my g3 and mp5k

moggser wrote: »
    but you do know the clack clack comes from the motor bora??
    it dulls it a bit bit not to much i have one one my g3 and mp5k

yes, but i noticed that the clack clack was loudest when the AEG was pointed towards me...it only made a minute difference, but it seemed to help me get some sneaky double kills in lol

yes, but i noticed that the clack clack was loudest when the AEG was pointed towards me...it only made a minute difference, but it seemed to help me get some sneaky double kills in lol

thats only cause your sneaky in your sneaky-ness lol
    where you heading tomoor?

thats only cause your sneaky in your sneaky-ness lol
    where you heading tomoor?

lol i dont no why but that post made me proper LOL.....lol

cant make it out tomorow, i wanted to go HRTA but got caught up...if i dont make it out on the 29th for a couple of games il go next weekend for defonate, where you goin?

lol i dont no why but that post made me proper LOL.....lol

cant make it out tomorow, i wanted to go HRTA but got caught up...if i dont make it out on the 29th for a couple of games il go next weekend for defonate, where you goin?

****e tomor is only sunday i ment monday this x mass thing has ya thinking every day is gonna be sunday

must be the egg nog lol
    no idea if hrta is open il drop in there

****e tomor is only sunday i ment monday this x mass thing has ya thinking every day is gonna be sunday

must be the egg nog lol
    no idea if hrta is open il drop in there

lol i no i thought i was stuck in a time continue-um of mondays there during the week lol...

for the free day i want to try fingal and the warehouse for the first time each:D

lol i no i thought i was stuck in a time continue-um of mondays there during the week lol...

for the free day i want to try fingal and the warehouse for the first time each:D

havent been to either but might try them too
    ya never no

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

re; suppressors. i have a foam one on my aug. (now lets leave the aug bashing out of this thread) the result is a definite reduction in the high frequencies, and a reduction in attack. higher frequencies are more directional and travel further. the effect is not massive, and will not effect the sound of your gearbox. plastic bodied guns should have more success with a suppressor than metal bodied ones, all other things being equal i suppose.
    thats my twopenceworth anyway. hope it helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

re; suppressors. i have a foam one on my aug. (now lets leave the aug bashing out of this thread) the result is a definite reduction in the high frequencies, and a reduction in attack. higher frequencies are more directional and travel further. the effect is not massive, and will not effect the sound of your gearbox. plastic bodied guns should have more success with a suppressor than metal bodied ones, all other things being equal i suppose.
    thats my twopenceworth anyway. hope it helps.

Interesting, what make is yours? I've found most of the noise from mine comes straight from the gearbox as there is only a small bit of ABS covering it. From what I can tell very little sound excapses through the barrel(509mm might have something to do with that).

I'm consirdering changing my motor as it sounds like an injured cat.

sounds like an injured cat.

lmao

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Interesting, what make is yours? I've found most of the noise from mine comes straight from the gearbox as there is only a small bit of ABS covering it. From what I can tell very little sound excapses through the barrel(509mm might have something to do with that).

They arn't all the noisy, the JG at least,
    but its the fact that the gearbox is sitting along side your face that makes it seem louder., get someone to dry fire it at you from a few feet away and you'll see the difference. as for silencers, as some have already said they take out the snappy sound and you get more of a dull thud. its not silent but it goes a long way towards making your position less obvious whereas the snappy sound attracts attention like paris hilton with night vision.,

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sean.carolan100

Urgggg - check out the classic army sportsline m15 - plastic gear box and all - now that sounds like an injured cat !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Vtec and myself tried out some silencer options on my A3 shortly after I got it; the silencer definitely helped, and we discussed padding out the mechbox exterior with felt padding. That would make it incredibly quiet from any distance (and of course I'll never forget the Polish brothers at the Gathering, with their silent AUG Phantom kits).

I sort of like the sound, and having some recoil though, else it'll be a bb-firing vacuum cleaner with a trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Urgggg - check out the classic army sportsline m15 - plastic gear box and all - now that sounds like an injured cat !

The sportsline doesn't have a plastic gearbox:rolleyes:

It's still a piece of crap though :pac:

Advertisement