Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which type of router?

Options
  • 26-12-2008 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭

So I have wired Eircom Broadband for years but I want to make it wireless. I know I have to buy a router but I was wondering which do I need to buy, a wireless router or a wireless modem router?

Currently out of my wall comes a spllitter? and then from that one phone line goes to my phone and the other to the modem, then that's connected to my pc/laptop. I don't really know much about the subject as you can see but if you need to know anything else to answer my question just ask anyway.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Linksys are pretty good.

Stay away from Belkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Linksys are pretty good.

Stay away from Belkin.

But do I need a router or a modem router?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

A wireless router/modem or gateway as they are sometimes known are generally easier to set up and are not that much dearer than a wireless router.

A wireless router (or cable router as they are often referred to now) does not have a modem so needs to be used in conjunction with your wired modem.

The choice is yours but if you are not very into the technical side of things I would go for the wireless router/modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 slinger99

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Linksys are pretty good.

Stay away from Belkin.

I bought a belkin N1 (attracted to flashy graphics/lcd display, as usual!!!),box labeled as BT appropriate, only to discover it was not compatable with my line(after 20 mins on to my bt helpline)....will buy a wireless modem/router but am now very wary re set up etc....any make or model suggestions??.......:confused:.

slinger99 wrote: »
    I bought a belkin N1 (attracted to flashy graphics/lcd display, as usual!!!),box labeled as BT appropriate, only to discover it was not compatable with my line(after 20 mins on to my bt helpline)....will buy a wireless modem/router but am now very wary re set up etc....any make or model suggestions??.......:confused:.

Given that the belkin is a router only and needed to be used with a modem it is very difficult to understand why you should be told that it is not compatible with your line.

A router such as the belkin needs to be 'fed' an internet signal from either a dsl or cable or wireless modem and then distributes the signal.

• Advertisement

I did ,under direction from bt helpline, connect up modem to the N1 but to no avail!!!. The graphic on the N1 screen showed a perfect connection between the pc and the N1 but a faulty (flashing) line between the N1 and the DSL source...mabey just this N1 had a fault...Anyway I went back and the shop has taken it back....any brand/type replacement suggestions would be appreciated...especially as I have a new Samsung NC10 and a wifi printer that I would like to set up..Thanks a million.

I did ,under direction from bt helpline, connect up modem to the N1 but to no avail!!!. The graphic on the N1 screen showed a perfect connection between the pc and the N1 but a faulty (flashing) line between the N1 and the DSL source...mabey just this N1 had a fault...Anyway I went back and the shop has taken it back....any brand/type replacement suggestions would be appreciated...especially as I have a new Samsung NC10 and a wifi printer that I would like to set up..Thanks a million.

Do you still have the N1? Did the support people ask you to bridge either the N1 or the BT router? (I am assuming that what you have is a modem/router)

Hallo Dub 45, No, the N1 has gone back to the shop....am back on the market for, as you say, a "wireless modem router" which must be BT compatable...will not buy Belkin again...any suggestions re model / brand name , pitfalls etc would be gratefully accepted...would have a little technical knowledge....but,as can be seen by the Belkin N1 episode, not enough...am thinking of buying at a local computershop rather than a big store or online because I feel I would need to have a personal contact if I run into difficulty..:(

Hallo Dub 45, No, the N1 has gone back to the shop....am back on the market for, as you say, a "wireless modem router" which must be BT compatable...will not buy Belkin again...any suggestions re model / brand name , pitfalls etc would be gratefully accepted...would have a little technical knowledge....but,as can be seen by the Belkin N1 episode, not enough...am thinking of buying at a local computershop rather than a big store or online because I feel I would need to have a personal contact if I run into difficulty..:(

Therer is no such thing as BT compatible. The only requirment for it to work is that it can deal with adsl (BB over a telephone line!)

The standard recommendations would be models from Linksys, DLink or Netgear. This model has been around for a long time in various versions and should be pretty solid.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_adslrouter_dg834g.php

More importantly from your point of view it should be readily available.

You will need your bt sign on and password and the settings below:
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk has user reviews of lots of models which can be handy to check before you buy.

Thanks a million Dub45, I will forget about "bt compatable" and I will look at that site tomorrow..thanks also for the password and settings..time to buy again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

IF you use a modem/router you need one less device - I think this is your query. A modem essentially allows you to connect to your isp, the router allows you to share your internet connection among several pcs, and/or have a home network. Do you need this ?

So why have two devices when you can have i.e a modem router as this performs both fuctions and if you get a wireless modem router you also have the wireless option.

However f you're looking for a wireless option you need to consider what it is you want to do online and with your network. Are you downloading video music etc and sharing this across a network?

If you are planning this sort of use your standard 54Mbps router may not be good enough. You may need to a higher speed router such as 200mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    So I have wired Eircom Broadband for years but I want to make it wireless. I know I have to buy a router but I was wondering which do I need to buy, a wireless router or a wireless modem router?

Currently out of my wall comes a spllitter? and then from that one phone line goes to my phone and the other to the modem, then that's connected to my pc/laptop. I don't really know much about the subject as you can see but if you need to know anything else to answer my question just ask anyway.

Thanks

You could buy a wire-less router and connect it up to your current DSL modem with an ethernet cable...

Its probably easier to just get one of the eircom netopia wifi modems/routers... There's one for sale here for €20 (http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=86229&cat=8)

XJR wrote: »
    IF you use a modem/router you need one less device - I think this is your query. A modem essentially allows you to connect to your isp, the router allows you to share your internet connection among several pcs, and/or have a home network. Do you need this ?

So why have two devices when you can have i.e a modem router as this performs both fuctions and if you get a wireless modem router you also have the wireless option.

However f you're looking for a wireless option you need to consider what it is you want to do online and with your network. Are you downloading video music etc and sharing this across a network?

If you are planning this sort of use your standard 54Mbps router may not be good enough. You may need to a higher speed router such as 200mbps.

Thanks XJR, To be honest I dont really know what ill be using it for...I have a tendencet to "overbuy" on specs..what I am really hoping for is a hassle free set-up to connect laptop, netbook, tangent internet radio etc...so I will have to also consider the futureproofing aspect...You are right I will go with one device,,BT are trying to sell me a voyager 2110...have you ever heard of such a model...should I go G or G+ or N ? I want to be able to use my laptop in the attached garage (say 20m
    through 2 walls)......bit perplexed at moment:confused:

Thanks XJR, To be honest I dont really know what ill be using it for...I have a tendencet to "overbuy" on specs..what I am really hoping for is a hassle free set-up to connect laptop, netbook, tangent internet radio etc...so I will have to also consider the futureproofing aspect...You are right I will go with one device,,BT are trying to sell me a voyager 2110...have you ever heard of such a model...should I go G or G+ or N ? I want to be able to use my laptop in the attached garage (say 20m
    through 2 walls)......bit perplexed at moment:confused:

It is impossible to predict the performance of any wireless equipment in advance in any particular location despite what anyone may tell you be it 'g' or 'n'. The performance of 'n' equipment varies wildly according to reviews and unless all your equipment is 'n' it will drop to the 'g' standard anyways. I would not be too optimistic about 20m and two walls though!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

dub45 wrote: »
    The standard recommendations would be models from Linksys, DLink or Netgear. This model has been around for a long time in various versions and should be pretty solid.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_adslrouter_dg834g.php

More importantly from your point of view it should be readily available.

Sorry to hijack (and for a silly question) - but I presume that if I buy a 2nd hand one from the UK, I'll be OK using it with my eircom DSL connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Would this Belkin N1 be that much better than this Netgear 54Mbps one?
    Is the price difference justified? Will the Netgear one be good enough for online gaming with an Xbox 360 or should I go for the Belkin one?

Advertisement