Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please tell me about telescopes!

Options
  • 26-12-2008 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

I have a big interest in astronomy, and I love looking at the stars and I keep up to date with what's going on up there. After wanting one for years, I'm seriously considering getting a proper telescope.

Can someone please tell me what I can expect to see with something in this range:

http://www.astronomy.ie/nexstarSE.html

I'd be grateful for any thoughts! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Firstly the one thing I was disappointed to find out a few years ago is that you will NEVER see those beautiful colour pics of galaxies that you see in the mags, through ANY scope with your naked eye.

Once you get past that, it is just amazing what you can see. You will see some amazing sites just make sure you manage your expectations initially. I would recommend that you go to irishastronomy.org for a range of Stickys on the "New Astronomer" angle.

I started with a decent pair of binoculars and found them handy and rewarding. You then fall in to the trap of constant upgrades....

Also buy a good book such as "turn left at orion"

Also shop around for your telescope/bino that you choose, there are plenty of previous comments on all this in past posts and on other sites.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

what's your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I'm not sure yet. Still thinking it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I have the 90eq which is a starter scope 3.5 inch lens for 200 quid and is a great little scope, my bf bought me the Nexstar 8 se for Christmas which is an 8 inch computerised scope and cost about 1,500, but is an absolute amazing scope!! But I am big into it, it depends on your level of interest, you don't need something enormous to enjoy the moon and the night sky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thargor wrote: »
    Thats class :D

+1 ;)

Advertisement