Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madrid to appeal over Diarra and Huntelaar

• 26-12-2008 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Madrid to appeal over Diarra and Huntelaar

Friday, 26 December 2008 19:00

Real Madrid intend to appeal to UEFA to register both Lassana Diarra and Klaas Jan Huntelaar to play in the Champions League next year.
    The club released a statement today claiming that they have a 'different interpretation' of UEFA regulations that state only one player who has already played in Europe this season can be registered.

Dutch striker Huntelaar played in the Champions League with Ajax while Diarra represented Portsmouth in the UEFA Cup prior to both players agreeing deals which will see them move to Madrid on 1 January.

Madrid made the statement in response to an article in today's edition of Marca which claimed the club would be forced to choose which of the new signings to add to the Champions League squad.

Madrid's statement suggested the club will argue before UEFA that the rule should not apply to Diarra as he played in the UEFA Cup, not the Champions League.

The statement said: 'The club's lawyers were aware of the fact that one of the two aforementioned players couldn't be registered to play in the Champions League due to an interpretation of a UEFA regulation, but they nevertheless think there can be another interpretation of articles 17.17 and 17.18 of the said regulation as they believe it tries to avoid the compromising of the competition by a footballer participating with a new team when he had previously done so with another.

'It seems obvious to them that there is no risk of this happening since the player participated in two different competitions. The club will therefore make its argument known to UEFA.'

Madrid's statement also denied that the double signing represented a panic buy with injuries cutting into the squad as they have fallen 12 points behind Barcelona in the Primera Liga, leaving them in fifth place.
    Diarra and Huntelaar will provide cover for Mahamadou Diarra and Ruud van Nistelrooy, both of whom are out for the season with knee injuries.
    The statement continued: 'The signings of Huntelaar and Lassana Diarra, as well as other signings that could follow, came about due to necessities of the club - derived from numerous and serious injuries suffered by key players - that had to be addressed, but they could in no way fail to be part of a mid- to long-term plan.

'This is proven by the sums of money that were invested in the signings and by the fact that the new players' contracts last for more than four years.'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1226/realmadrid.html

17.17 For all matches from the start of the first knockout round, a club may register
    a maximum of three new eligible players for the remaining matches in the
    current competition. Such registration must be completed by
    1 February 2008 at the latest. This deadline cannot be extended.

17.18 One player from the above quota of three who has played UEFA club
    competition matches for another competing club in the current season may
    exceptionally be registered, provided that the player has not been fielded:
    − in the same competition for another club
    − for another club that is currently in the same competition.
    Furthermore, if the player’s new club is playing in the UEFA Cup, his former
    club must not have played in the UEFA Cup at any point in the current
    season.

Typical Real Madrid thinking that the there is one rule for them and another for everybody else. If UEFA actually rule in their favour it would be a joke. Some audacity to even challenge this in my opinion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

a player can play in the uefa and then in the champions league

and ajax didnt play in the champions league this year did they?

real are spot on, they should be able to play both (unless ive missed something and ajax were actually in the cl)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

The rule is that you're only allowed do that with 1 player per season, so no they aren't really spot on, unless you think the rules that other clubs have had to adhere to, should be changed for them. Which is what they think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Helix wrote: »
    a player can play in the uefa and then in the champions league

and ajax didnt play in the champions league this year did they?

real are spot on, they should be able to play both (unless ive missed something and ajax were actually in the cl)

Brother please read again before posting. I posted the UEFA regulations in question in the opening post so people could see them before posting. The rules clearly state one player can be registered. Now unless I am missing something Diarra plus Huntelaar equals two. They are trying to get their lawyers to bend the rules to suit themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

This would'nt even be listened to if it was a smaller club. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This would'nt even be listened to if it was a smaller club. It's ridiculous.

Whatever, they have a point - and if they argue their case successfully I'll say more power to them.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Whatever, they have a point - and if they argue their case successfully I'll say more power to them.

How do they have a point. Please expand on your comment so we know what it is you are saying exactly as I cannot see what they are trying to do being in anyway correct as it contradicts the UEFA regulations.

EDIT: Marca are saying that Real ****ed up and dont rate Real's chances of getting UEFA to bend the rules. They are saying the board of directors is calling for someones head over this fiasco with Mijatovic being singled out. Calderon was reportedly in shock when told they could only use one of the players they had signed. So Madrid made the signings without knowing the rules and now are trying to say that they were aware all along. All does not sound well and now they are looking to sign another player who will be eligible to play in the competition. How the **** could someone at the club not know this ? Some of the lads on here even knew this rule existed and we actually discussed it on here a few weeks ago ! This board of this club become more of a joke every week.

NOTW picking up on the story now.

PENNANT STILL IN MADRID SIGHTS
    Spaniards drop transfer window clanger

REAL DEAL - Jermaine Pennant
    By ANDY DUNN, 27/12/2008

REAL MADRID will step up their interest in Jermaine Pennant and Antonio Valencia after their massive transfer window clanger.

Madrid have targeted Portsmouth’s Lassana Diarra, Klass Jan Huntelaar from Ajax and a right-winger like Liverpool’s Pennant.

UEFA rules let a club sign three new players who have not played in the Champions League.

But Real did not realise only ONE of them is allowed to have appeared in the UEFA Cup.

Diarra, who played in the UEFA Cup for Pompey, now faces being left out as Huntelaar also played in the competition.

Real contacted Pennant, 25, but his wage demands KO’d a deal.

Coach Juande Ramos prefers Wigan’s Valencia, 23, or Boro’s inexperienced Adam Johnson, 21.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/111588/PENNANT-STILL-IN-MADRID-SIGHTS.html

Uefa dash Real pair's hopes

Uefa spokesman says rules can not be changed concerning Huntelaar and Diarra

Uefa spokesman William Gaillard has quashed Real Madrid's hopes of playing both Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Lassana Diarra in the knock-out stages of this season's Champions League.

Real recently signed striker Huntelaar and midfielder Diarra from Ajax and Portsmouth respectively.

Uefa rules state only one of the pair can play in the Champions League as both have already represented their former clubs in the Uefa Cup this season.

But the Spanish champions had hoped to convince Uefa to agree to a different interpretation of the rule so that both could take part.

But Uefa spokesman William Gaillard said on Onda Cero radio that Real must choose between the new signings.

Very sorry
    "I am very sorry, but the rules are what they are and they cannot be changed in the middle of a season," he said.

"That means that only one of the two players can play in the Champions League. They can include either Huntelaar or Diarra."

Real have been drawn against Liverpool in the first knockout round of the Champions League on 25th February and 10th March.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_4718873,00.html

Shot Down so it would seem. Good news for Liverpool then and football in general if it sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

real wont be in the champions league long enough for it to matter :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Adam Johnson to Real Madrid:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't even understand how Real signed these two players outside of the transfer window. Can someone enlighten me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I don't even understand how Real signed these two players outside of the transfer window. Can someone enlighten me?

You can agree to sign a player at any stage during the year as long as they don't play for you until the transfer window opens!

Signed, sealed, delivered now fuvk off !

UEFA decision on Real Madrid
    Thursday 8 January 2009

UEFA tonight confirmed that its Control and Disciplinary Body has reviewed the request of Real Madrid CF to be able to register two players who have already competed in UEFA competition this season as part of their A-list squad for the knockout rounds of the UEFA Champions League.

Regulations
    The European body confirms that this was rejected in accordance with article 17.18 in the competition regulations which states that only one player who has played UEFA club competition matches for another competing club in the current season may exceptionally be registered. Any appeal to this decision will be heard next week.

Real Madrid are know supposedly considering taking this to the CAS.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=512/newsid=791338.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It seems stupid to me that having played for a different club in a different competition rules you out for playing for your new club tbh...

The rules of course shouldn't be changed in the middle of the season but the rule should be changed alrite imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

keane2097 wrote: »
    It seems stupid to me that having played for a different club in a different competition rules you out for playing for your new club tbh...

The rules of course shouldn't be changed in the middle of the season but the rule should be changed alrite imo.

It was made so that players can't attempt to sabotage or change the outcome of their clubs results in Europe before Christmas so that it may in some way give any sort of advantage to the team they join in the transfer window... If that makes sense, it does in my head anyway.... :pac:

eg- Diarra purposely playing badly against A.C Milan UEFA Cup, A.C Milan being aided by his performance, going through to the next stages and then Diarra joining them in January.

eZe^ wrote: »
    It was made so that players can't attempt to sabotage or change the outcome of their clubs results in Europe before Christmas so that it may in some way give any sort of advantage to the team they join in the transfer window... If that makes sense, it does in my head anyway.... :pac:

eg- Diarra purposely playing badly against A.C Milan UEFA Cup, A.C Milan being aided by his performance, going through to the next stages and then Diarra joining them in January.

No the point I'm making is that there's no reason why having played for a club in the UEFA Cup should stop a player playing for a different team in the Champions League...

Sure it has always been standard procedure with the FA cup, league cup etc.

redout wrote: »
    Sure it has always been standard procedure with the FA cup, league cup etc.

So?

So?

So why are you surprised that Uefa apply the same regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Wait a minute, my example is wrong anyway... :pac:

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    So why are you surprised that Uefa apply the same regulations.

I just think it's a stupid rule...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That was a rule change it used to be once you played in one European competition you were cup tied now they changed it so teams can register one cup tied player

Advertisement