Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there different Xboxes ?

• 27-12-2008 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Xbox Live, Xbox 360 etc? I don't have one, but want to purchase an Xbox, just don't know anything about them other than what my mates to talk about.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Well, theres 3 types, the arcade (no hard drive), the premium (60gb hard drive) or the elite (120gb hard drive, and its black)

depends on what you're going to use it for really, most people go for the premium, basically because it has everything to get you started and you dont have to worry about getting a hard drive later on

xbox live is the online service microsoft provide, for multiplayer gaming etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Ok, so I could buy the premium (60gb hard drive) and subcribe to the Live access?, what about games, do I buy them or download them? :o

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

The Xbox 360 is the console. Xbox Live is the online service so you can use it no matter what Xbox 360 you get :)

So yes you can buy a premium and access Xbox Live.

As for games, you buy retail games from shops but you can also download arcade games and original Xbox games from the Xbox Live Marketplace from your console.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You buy them, shops like xtravision, gamestop, game, zavi (formerly hmv) you can also trade in your games for cash or other games and you can also buy second hand games. You can download demos from xbox live for free once you have a subscription and you can also download arcade games which cost you microsoft points.

Yup, theres a month free xbox live when you get it aswell

you have to buy games, but you can also download them from xbox live

• Advertisement

The Xbox 360 is the console. Xbox Live is the online service so you can use it no matter what Xbox 360 you get

not neccessarily, you have to have a hard drive to go on xbl

No you don't.

You need a Hard Drive for some games (Like Burnout Paradise) but for any other game which doesn't state that a Hard Drive is needed, the 512mb memory card you get with the Arcade will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Xbox Live! is the Xbox platform on the internet, it includes movie downloads for you to play on your xbox, Arcade games (think new and old retro games), old Xbox games, Multiplayer, xbox news etc etc - It's a vibrant gaming community :D

there's two types of subscription - the free one which is Silver membership. It allows you have a profile on Xbox Live! (where you can record your acheivements you unlock by playing games & completing tasks), you can browse the marketplace, purchase points (Xbox currency) which can be in turn used to download games & movies. I don't know if you can play any multiplayer games with a Silver membership. The Gold membership is €60 at the minute and lets you play online games with friends & others around the world

Now, on to the various Xbox 360 models:

Xbox 360 Arcade, which is the xbox 360 system but it doesn't have a hard drive so you couldn't download movies from Xbox live! Some games require memory for savegames and stuff so you'll have to provide for that (either by getting a hard drive separately or a memory card [much smaller than a hard drive]) or just do without. This is usually the cheapest xbox option and comes in white with a controller and a 256MB memory card. Video output is only SD (Standard Definition) - that is it's got a yellow RCA for video and Red+White RCA's for audio (standard SCART, like a DVD player)

Xbox 360 - An xbox 360 with a 60GB hard drive - certainly adequete for most people. Comes in white with a controller, headset & ethernet cable. The TV output for this one is Component/Composite (RGB cable to a HDTV or Yellow with Red+White Audio [scart] to a regular TV).

Xbox 360 Elite - A black xbox 360, comes with a 120GB hard drive and everything the normal xbox does (except in black :D). The TV output on the Xbox Elite also has a HDMI port so you can deliver video/audio to your HDTV over HDMI :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Comparison_of_features

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

No you dont. The 256MB that comes with the Arcade will work just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

The xbox website does state that you need a hard drive to download NXE.

Is that what you mean?

BUT with the arcade you dont get a snazzy ethernet cable ;)
    so unless you want to disconnect the cable from your computer and back again for Live then just get the premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

That's to download NXE (the new Xbox 'operating system') onto the xbox 360 as an update

You can download NXE on your PC, burn it to a CD and pop it in the xbox 360 to install it without a hard drive, I had to do this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Xbox.com recommends a hard drive but you only need 128mb of free storage to download it. The NXE will also be included on some future game discs.

http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/live/NXE/faq.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The Gold membership is €60 at the minute and lets you play online games with friends & others around the world

while €60 for a year is far from extortionate you really should hit ebay for your Gold XBL membership, you won't pay more than €35 for a 13 month subscription, if you're lucky the seller will even email you the code

Thanks to all, you've been very helpful, I now know exactly what I want. I'm going to go for the Xbox 360 Pro. GAME up north have if for €175ish with extra controller + 3 games. :)

http://www.game.co.uk/Xbox360/Hardware/HardwareBundle/~r339053/Xbox-360-60GB-Premium-Pack-Kung-Fu-Panda-LEGO-Indy-Lost-Extra-Wireless-Controller/

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Now, on to the various Xbox 360 models:

Xbox 360 - An xbox 360 with a 60GB hard drive - certainly adequete for most people. Comes in white with a controller, headset & ethernet cable. The TV output for this one is Component/Composite (RGB cable to a HDTV or Yellow with Red+White Audio [scart] to a regular TV).

Xbox 360 Elite - A black xbox 360, comes with a 120GB hard drive and everything the normal xbox does (except in black :D). The TV output on the Xbox Elite also has a HDMI port so you can deliver video/audio to your HDTV over HDMI :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Comparison_of_features

The Premium (60gb) also has an HDMI port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 littleemperor

looking to invest in my first xbox but have been getting a "getting rid of old stock vibe" over the christmas. anyone hear rumors of a new model or maybe a slimed down version like ps2 slim?
    read some articles about blu rays drives but that was back in march 07, nothing since.
    hate to buy now and have a new version come out next month :eek:

Nope no new models coming out soon. Blu-Ray won't be in the 360 and Microsoft haven't said anything about a slim model yet.

Most of the newer models now are the most recent revision "Jasper". You can't go wrong :)

Hey guys, I went upto Newry yesterday morning and got an Xbox Pro in GAME :D. I have a 30 day free trial for the Gold Live, should I have gotten a card with my box with points? Or is this points thing only for GAME/Zavvi card members? :o Sorry I'm all new to this :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

Hey guys, I went upto Newry yesterday morning and got an Xbox Pro in GAME :D. I have a 30 day free trial for the Gold Live, should I have gotten a card with my box with points? Or is this points thing only for GAME/Zavvi card members? :o Sorry I'm all new to this :s

Was up that way yesterday myself. How much are the consoles going for? My current one just died :mad:

CJackson wrote: »
    Was up that way yesterday myself. How much are the consoles going for? My current one just died :mad:

I got this bundle, it was the only Pro bundle they had left in stock, I see now on the site they have the others back in stock mad.gif...

It's nearly £ for € now, cheapest is £129.99 for the Arcade up-to £259.99 for the Elite, link.

How long did you have your Xbox for? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

should I have gotten a card with my box with points? Or is this points thing only for GAME/Zavvi card members? :o Sorry I'm all new to this :s

Are you asking if you should have received a card or should have bought one?

GAME have their own reward card system which has nothing to do with the Xbox, it lets you build up points with purchases and you can use this as money off subsequent purchases.

If you're talking about Microsoft points for Xbox Live, you will need to buy them to purchase downloadable content through the Xbox (arcade games etc).

Makaveli wrote: »
    Are you asking if you should have received a card or should have bought one?

GAME have their own reward card system which has nothing to do with the Xbox, it lets you build up points with purchases and you can use this as money off subsequent purchases.

If you're talking about Microsoft points for Xbox Live, you will need to buy them to purchase downloadable content through the Xbox (arcade games etc).
    When I was in the shop yesterday, the shop assistant asked the customer before me if they had a card. I forgot to say something when I got to the till, just wondering will I lose out in the points I could of got buying a new Xbox. Can I get a reward card here in my local GAME shop (Tallaght) and add the points to it I should have got from buying a new Xbox up North?

How do I buy Microsoft points for Xbox Live?, credit card?, can use paypal. I'd like to maybe buy SSFIITHDR for example, also can the points I have in my account (10 atm :o) be used to purchase items on Xbox Live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I'm not 100% sure but I think you might be able to get points added back to a card if you bring the receipt into the shop. You have to buy the cards, they're €5 or something like that.

I don't know if there is a seperate system for the UK and here, I'd guess there isn't and you should be ok getting a reward card down here and getting the points added. Easiest thing to do would be ask in the shop.

You can buy the points through the Xbox, on Ebay, in shops or from the likes of Amazon or Play. Ebay seems to be the cheapest route but you need to make sure you are buying points for Europe, afaik American points wont work.

The 10 points you have in your account I'm guessing is your gamerscore. These aren't worth anything (bar bragging rights to some). You get them when you unlock achievements within games. They have nothing to do with XBL points.

Makaveli wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure but I think you might be able to get points added back to a card if you bring the receipt into the shop. You have to buy the cards, they're €5 or something like that.

I don't know if there is a seperate system for the UK and here, I'd guess there isn't and you should be ok getting a reward card down here and getting the points added. Easiest thing to do would be ask in the shop.

You can buy the points through the Xbox, on Ebay, in shops or from the likes of Amazon or Play. Ebay seems to be the cheapest route but you need to make sure you are buying points for Europe, afaik American points wont work.

The 10 points you have in your account I'm guessing is your gamerscore. These aren't worth anything (bar bragging rights to some). You get them when you unlock achievements within games. They have nothing to do with XBL points.
    Ah thanks Makaveli :) very helpful info for a noob :)

Advertisement