Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pioneer movement

• 27-12-2008 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

First of all, great forum and I know ye do organize events and it's all light-hearted. Great stuff

Pioneer Movement
    http://pioneertotal.ie/pioneer/

Anyone a member? Do you find it worthwhile and maybe go to events? They seem to have a social calender going on and branches all over the country.

Not realy expecting a lot of replies to this thread. I've not seen it raised in this forum and it's often the first said by some people

"I don't drink"
    "What, you a pioneer?"

Just wondering folks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

First I've heard of it, probably because of the "total abstinence" requirement, and because it's a religious organisation. This forum appears to require neither religion nor teetotalism.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭CelticSpirit

MikeyMac,

I took that a few years ago. I don't go to any of the events or anything and I wouldn't be a religious person.

At the time I didn't drink so I thought it would be a good idea. Like I said I don't go to mass or anything but at the same time I guess it satisfies my spiritual soul :P and gives me an excuse not to drink :cool: even to myself.

They give you a badge to wear to say that you are a pioneer but I don't wear it.

Their office is(or was anyway) in Sherrard St where the SFX centre used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I would be interested in an organisation like this, except I'm an atheist and it seems far too religious. If I was making a religious statement out of not drinking I'd just convert to Islam.
    An alternative is IOGT- http://www.iogt.org/
    IOGT is non-denominational and not affiliated with any belief system. Alas, they have no Irish branch. :(
    I e-mailed the UK branch asking why there was no Irish branch last year, but I never got a reply...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭CelticSpirit

Yeah it is religious. I don't actually have anything to do with the organisation itself. Sometimes having taken the pledge gives me a reason both to myself and others why I don't drink.

I would prefer something along non-religious lines as I'm not a religious person. I definitely wouldn't be converting to Islam.

Advertisement