Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Sale

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Call me thick but I saw this on the front page and thought "Ha ha ha someone's selling Steam".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://store.steampowered.com/holidaysale/
    75% off Bioshock: €5

lol. Doom2, €1

Sale ends 2nd January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Portal for 3.74 is the deal of the year imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Picked up Crysis for €27 - think its €30 in the shops so not an amazing saving but its alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

Why are games bought via steam even more expensive than online retailers who post you the physical copy of the game. Surely steams delivery method is much cheaper so they could sell at a lower price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Thanks OP , i picked up Red Orchestra , Dark Star and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and T-42 Tank Commander for 16 euro :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Thank you !

321654 wrote: »
    Why are games bought via steam even more expensive than online retailers who post you the physical copy of the game. Surely steams delivery method is much cheaper so they could sell at a lower price

I agree completely!

Anyway, the local game shop was sold out of Crysis so I decided to go for it on Steam - 7 Gigs!! FFS! I should have had a little patience and checked another shop or two . . . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

321654 wrote: »

Im sure they could sell at a lower price but why would they?! Steam offers a quick and handy way of purchasing games. When did you ever buy a game online for cheaper and it arrived in an hour or 2? That alone is a good reason for selling at a higher price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

Cant get anywhere near their checkout screen at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Tried to get left 4 dead and CSS but on checkout page says "Your credit card information has been declined by your credit card company due to an incorrect address being entered."

No idea I've tried all combinations I can think of for the address. Bought on steam before and never had an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Tippex wrote: »
    Tried to get left 4 dead and CSS but on checkout page says "Your credit card information has been declined by your credit card company due to an incorrect address being entered."

No idea I've tried all combinations I can think of for the address. Bought on steam before and never had an issue.

Yep I had that problem even after making previous purchases. Check through your previous purchases and use exactly the address you used for those. Paypal works fine with them so that might be an option.

Steam had previously been adding vat onto purchases but at least you could buy in dollars which sometimes made them cheaper than buying in retail. Now with their poor euro prices I can't see myself buying anything else from them. I used to get quite a few games from them before they decided to gouge their european customers.

I agree that Steam should be selling these games a lot cheaper! The only thing Ill say in defence of this method of purchase is that Im sitting here with 2 games beside me - I'm missing the disc of one and the cd-key of the other so I can't play either! Not a problem I'd have if I'd bought them with Steam . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Beyond Good and Evil is also going for 3.74. A classic game seriously overlooked by the majority of gamers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Yeah but in a say 2-10 years you want to play them again, and the Steam Servers had gone offline your fecked.
    cianr wrote: »
    I agree that Steam should be selling these games a lot cheaper! The only thing Ill say in defence of this method of purchase is that Im sitting here with 2 games beside me - I'm missing the disc of one and the cd-key of the other so I can't play either! Not a problem I'd have if I'd bought them with Steam . . .

Edit:

Even after saying that I've just bought BioShock for ~5€ because I want to play it now and can't be arsed trekking around the packed shops in the cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Yeah but in a say 2-10 years you want to play them again, and the Steam Servers had gone offline your fecked.

Edit:

Even after saying that I've just bought BioShock for ~5€ because I want to play it now and can't be arsed trekking around the packed shops in the cold.

Of all the games companies to go, Steam will not be one of them. That'd be like claiming WoW will be gone in 2 years :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

BOFH_139 wrote: »

personally i cannot see this happening for a good long time. Even if Valve themselves were to go bust, I would hazard the Steam application and user-base would be auctioned off to the highest bidder, simply due to it's market penetration and lack of proper competition. It would stay alive in some guise or another methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

BuddhaJoe wrote: »
    Beyond Good and Evil is also going for 3.74. A classic game seriously overlooked by the majority of gamers.

Bought this + Team Fortress 2 + Audiosurf (which is excellent!!)
    all for €18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Thanks OP, getting Bioshock. Now to see what all the fuss was about!

Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Thanks OP, getting Bioshock. Now to see what all the fuss was about!

Adam

I bought that as well, it's cool.:cool:

• Advertisement

Did you get good speeds downloading it?? Seems up and down and all over the place and no where near as good as it could be going!!

Won't be playing it for a while!!

Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Did you get good speeds downloading it?? Seems up and down and all over the place and no where near as good as it could be going!!

Won't be playing it for a while!!

Adam

Maxxed out my connection, but seemed to disconnect a lot for some reason. I had it in the space of an afternoon.

I'm on 20meg ntl and getting about 170kb a sec at best so far! And dropping below 100 at times too. :(

Adam

Advertisement