Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robbie Williams

Options
  • 27-12-2008 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

An underrated, complex guy who is for my money the most charismatic pop star ever.

Discuss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

He seems like a likeable enough guy who got some excellent people around him and really got the most out of his limited talents and rode the wave for all it was worth. Fair play to him. Most charismatic though? Not by a long shot. See if Queen's set at Live Aid is on youtube :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

An over-rated simpleton who for my money is the biggest white elephant of pop.

Hammerr.

(Mind you I saw him playing a wet, wet, wet Glastonbury a few years back and he brought the sunshine with him and gave socks to a fine half hour performance. Best performance that year at the festival. It was a really bad year though.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Not the most talented singer but he worked with what he had and for that I do admire him. He entertains on stage, I'll give him that much. He has "it".

Seriously messed up in the head though, a few documentaries he did show despite all the fame and success he's a very sad, depressed, lonely person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Seeing him interviewed always made my head hurt. Does he have ADD?

What Doctor J said would basically sum up my opinion of his work. Except the Queen bit. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Affable wrote: »
    An underrated, complex fascinating guy who is for my money the most charismatic pop star ever.

Discuss.

and what are you basing this on?........
    I wont think he fits into any of those. Underrated? - Hardly, hasn't really put much quality out has he? Complex? - Hmmm in it for the money I'd say..
    Most charismatic pop star ever???? hardly - he puts on a good show in fairness, but best ever?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Doctor J wrote: »
    He seems like a likeable enough guy who got some excellent people around him and really got the most out of his limited talents and rode the wave for all it was worth. Fair play to him. Most charismatic though? Not by a long shot. See if Queen's set at Live Aid is on youtube :)

Theres very few that can entertain with his panache. He mixes it with takinfg the piss and self-deprecation which is cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

An underrated, complex guy who is for my money the most charismatic pop star ever.

Discuss.

You haven't seen a lot of live acts have you? Robbie is a charismatic live act, but he's a long way down the queue i'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

He wanted "fame" and all that goes with it and now hes got it he's miserable.
    Nothing but a self obsessed tool.

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Seriously messed up in the head though, a few documentaries he did show despite all the fame and success he's a very sad, depressed, lonely person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

"He's the fat dancer from Take That" Noel Gallagher:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Wouldn't usually be my type of music but I do enjoy listening to Robbie Williams. He has brought out some great albums and defintely has the "X factor" while performing live.

• Advertisement

Theres very few that can entertain with his panache. He mixes it with takinfg the piss and self-deprecation which is cool too.
    Yes, it's not like there's any competition he could be judged against though. We live in the blandest era of music yet, a time where sterile marketability is more important than things like actual talent and personality or any semblance of musicial skill. A sock puppet has more panache than the majority of the ****e which is over-produced and marketed to the masses these days. Compared to any current ****ehawk you'd care to mention he looks like a genius, but compared to the actual greats he just comes off as the second rate club singer he is with nothing of actual relevance to say.

Still, fair play to him, he's done well but he's really just right place and right time rather than being something amazing for the ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Discuss.
    Ok then, he's a cocky moron who left a boyband at the height of their fame, decided to go the solo route, which worked out for a while...now he sees his old group have reformed, are making a mint while he is hoping he gets the magic call back to stardom, which will never happen, so he calls up a Mr Gary Barlow looking to join up with em.

So who is the third wheel then? the one who thinks his return to the group will herald further amazing success? aul Robert Williams himself:pac:

He's better off chasing UFO's again tbh, doesnt command alot of respect anymore. As JerryHandbag put it quoting Noel Gallagher "He's the fat dancer from Take That"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Excellent live act with maybe 2 or 3 quality tunes written for him. I saw him twice in Dublin and he was great (even if I hadnt a clue what the songs were!). As for "underrated" and "most charismatic pop star ever" I would definately have to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Yes, it's not like there's any competition he could be judged against though. We live in the blandest era of music yet, a time where sterile marketability is more important than things like actual talent and personality or any semblance of musicial skill. A sock puppet has more panache than the majority of the ****e which is over-produced and marketed to the masses these days. Compared to any current ****ehawk you'd care to mention he looks like a genius, but compared to the actual greats he just comes off as the second rate club singer he is with nothing of actual relevance to say.

Still, fair play to him, he's done well but he's really just right place and right time rather than being something amazing for the ages.

He has plenty of talent and personality. He's cowritten the likes of Angels and Feel, which are classic songs.

He has plenty of talent and personality. He's cowritten the likes of Angels and Feel, which are classic songs.

Angels might go down as a classic, but Feel is forgotten already by a lot of people.

It's also no coincidence that Williams solo career went down the plughole once the Williams/Chambers partnership dissolved, which makes me question how much of the songs Williams actually takes credit for. As Intensive Care and Rudebox were flops and sank down the charts quicker than the Titanic ever could.

Besides, Angels was largely written by Ray Heffernan, who sold the rights to the song to Williams and it was polished up by Guy Chambers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Glib statements with no backing whatsoever. Probably one of the most irritating ways of trying to start a discussion, especially when it's the 2nd thread of it's kind by the OP in a month.

Discuss.

Besides, Angels was largely written by Ray Heffernan, who sold the rights to the song to Williams and it was polished up by Guy Chambers.

Someone was reading wikipedia...

I actually question the validity of that statement, as Williams made it whilst being interviewed on Irish radio. But we'll never really know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Ok then, he's a cocky moron who left a boyband at the height of their fame, decided to go the solo route, which worked out for a while...now he sees his old group have reformed, are making a mint while he is hoping he gets the magic call back to stardom, which will never happen, so he calls up a Mr Gary Barlow looking to join up with em.

Looks like Gary Barlow had the last laugh.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Someone was reading wikipedia...

I actually question the validity of that statement, as Williams made it whilst being interviewed on Irish radio. But we'll never really know.

There's plenty about it when you look, and it was hard to avoid when the story broke... not all of us need a wiki crutch ;)

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_/ai_n14486838
    http://news.scotsman.com/robbiewilliams/Heavensent-hit-that-gave-Robbie.2438090.jp

• Advertisement

There's plenty about it when you look, and it was hard to avoid when the story broke... not all of us need a wiki crutch ;)

Nah i saw the documentary as well, i went to wiki earlier to verify when the Williams/Chambers partnership ended.

7 and a half grand, bet he's wishing he would have held out for more. :)

Aye, talk about being shafted :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

It is questionable whether this has to do with Robbie writing the songs or not.

Intensive Care
    was a success, Rudebox was a flop admittedly but that doesn't mean Robbie's career went downhill.

The fact remains Close Encounters was still his most successful tour to date.

Anyways new album in 2012 and intimate shows coming up so that will determine whether or not Robbie's career has gone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Zombie thread!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement