Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need advice on car damage . .

Options
  • 27-12-2008 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I was out yesterday and went up on a high curb . .blew my 2 right tyres and passenger seat air bag went off. Wing mirror broken too. It's a 07 Polo. im not oo worried about tyres but have benn told that the airbag will be pricey. Does anyone know how much this could end up costing me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

In the region of 1-2K...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Wingmirror: ~€300 (Indicator/housing/glass)
    Airbag Replacement: ~€700-€1000
    Two Tires: ~ €240

(Ball Park figures from VW Mechanic)

Add 3-4hrs labour @ €70 per hour and you're lucky to have change out of €1.5k

You're best off sourcing from scrappy/getting work done by a reputable independant mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭missbaker

ok . .was thinking it would be about that. wouolsd it be worht claiming through my insurance or not? I k now absolutely nothig about this kind of thing!! Never had an accident before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Ask your insurance co - they'll advise best (its what you pay them for)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

No doubt the repairs will cost you a good few $$ but the one piece of advise I will give you is to shop around. Even for the tyres as last time round I was buying tyres many stocked the same brand and it was just alarming the difference in prices being charged for exact same brand and size. Just a matter of picking up yellow pages and making some phone calls and giving em the tyre size which you will find on the sidewall of the tyre.

Also definately worth ringing some breakers yards re the mirror and airbag. Not sure myself but the airbag may be the same as that found in other VW models so you may be able to use the passenger airbag from a golf for example. As I say though I am unsure on that I and hopefully someone in the know may be better able to set you straight on that one as I don't want to be giving you incorrect advice on it either. Having said all that too though and if you find a breakers yard that has a suitable car chances are it was crashed badly if it is a recent model and so chances are the airbags are depolyed in it also but you may just be very lucky.

On the mirror I may be wrong but think it would be the type withe indicator on it and as far as I know it is only in the last year or two that the polos changed to this style so again you may be very lucky if you find one in a breakers yard and in the same colour. If you did get one in different colour though you may be able to pick up the casing from your VW dealer which I think may be interchangeable on these mirrors. I know you can on my car but again somebody more in the know might confirm this to you. Buying it this way may still work out a hell of a lot cheaper than buying the whole unit from VW as I would think the casing would be relatively cheap compared to the rest of the parts in the unit.

Definately on the labour shop around. I don't think that one needs any explanation and some of the prices mechanics charge for jobs is just extortion.

• Advertisement

Thanks for advic John . .very helpful!!! will hopefully get it tyres sorted in monday . .least i'll be back on the road .Although my boss has vey kindly paid for a rental for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

You might be lucky and be able to get the wing mirror in the same colour as your car, and the airbag at a breakers yard.Try Traynors up in Armagh maybe? Also check your wheel rims for damage when you buy the 2 new tyres,the tyre fitter will be able to advise you there.Any good mechanic/non main dealer garage should be able to fit the airbag and clear the airbag light on the dash with a diagnostic tool.

Ask your insurance co - they'll advise best (its what you pay them for)

I'd be a wee bit careful here. Firstly I am assuming you have comprehensive cover as if you don't they won't cover the damage. You don't want to be informing them if you are not making a claim as they will probably then have on your record that you had an accident even though a claim was not made. Also making a claim for less than a grand (which you may well be able to get the job done for) may not make sense as it would drive up your premium if you don't have a protected no claims bonus. Also if your excess is high you will be paying a fair whack for the repair yourself anyway in your next renewal premium. Also worth mentioning to you, I'm thinking and I may be wrong that the insurance will not cover tyres as they are a wear and tear item. A read of your policy document would tell you this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Broken wing mirror? Must have been some height that kerb you hit.

Hagar wrote: »
    Broken wing mirror? Must have been some height that kerb you hit.

It was an island in the middle of the road and had a sign post on it. There was an accident already there with a squad car parked put in the middle of the road. i was driving around the guard car when I took a glance over to see crashed car when i hit the curb. Mirror broke off sign on the island.
    And the guards didn't even come over to see of me or the passenger were ok!!! Talk about protecting the people!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Well, it was hardly their fault. Rubbernecking is a dangerous habit.

I'd be inclined to steer clear of the insurance route, unless you're on your first year or something. Traynor's up north are an excellent source of secondhand parts.

I'd be a wee bit careful here. Firstly I am assuming you have comprehensive cover as if you don't they won't cover the damage. You don't want to be informing them if you are not making a claim as they will probably then have on your record that you had an accident even though a claim was not made. Also making a claim for less than a grand (which you may well be able to get the job done for) may not make sense as it would drive up your premium if you don't have a protected no claims bonus. Also if your excess is high you will be paying a fair whack for the repair yourself anyway in your next renewal premium. Also worth mentioning to you, I'm thinking and I may be wrong that the insurance will not cover tyres as they are a wear and tear item. A read of your policy document would tell you this.

This is incorrect above. It makes no difference if you ring up your broker or insurer to ask what your options are.
    It only makes a difference if you make a claim. You pay good money for their cover and their expertise. Contrary to what the above suggests, insurance Co's are not going to bite but will advise you of your options.
    all this avoid the insurance co stuff is rubbish....like they are the CIA ..FFS.

Knowledge is power. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

If you're stuck for cash, don't bother refitting the airbag.

If your tyres burst after striking the kerb, chances are the wheel rims might be damaged. You might have to replace both wheels, which can be considerably more expensive, and that's discounting possible tructural damage to the wheel hubs and suspension. Check the rim of the wheel, if it's buckled, you're pretty much boing to need a new one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dartz wrote: »
    If you're stuck for cash, don't bother refitting the airbag.

Ah now! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

I'm serious. Passenger side ones aren't near as important as driver side ones. Seatbelt does most of the work anyways.

(I should probably stop digging, but y'know...)

This is incorrect above. It makes no difference if you ring up your broker or insurer to ask what your options are.
    It only makes a difference if you make a claim. You pay good money for their cover and their expertise. Contrary to what the above suggests, insurance Co's are not going to bite but will advise you of your options.
    all this avoid the insurance co stuff is rubbish....like they are the CIA ..FFS.

Knowledge is power. End of.

Would you be able to qualify this any further niceirishfella than just your word? Any time I rang an insurance company for a quotation, coming up to renewal time I was asked did I have any accidents, claims, pending claims or convictions. If what you are saying rings true all they would ask is do you have any claims, pending claims, or convictions? Also saying to ask insurance company for advice as it is what you pay them for does not make a whole lot of sense to me. I was under the illusion you pay your premium to cover risk. No doubt a certain amount goes into a fund to cover accidents of uninsured drivers and obviously people working for the insurance company need to be paid and there would be other costs. But regardless of what you are believed into thinking one of the functions of people working for insurance companies is to save them money and I think it is just foolish to assume they are on your side when making a claim or even an enquiry. I am not suggesting they are like the CIA or any such conspiracy theories though, just suggesting a little bit of commonsense should be exercised before putting in a claim.

In Missbakers case I think it may be foolish to make a claim at least on the face of it. To give a breakdown, assuming the accident repairs will cost under €1,000 (which may/ may not be the case) she may be paying a good deal towards the repairs herself anyway. If her voluntary excess is any way high plus as I already said she may well end up having to pay for tyres herself as they are wear and tear items (I know that they wouldn't be covered in my own policy with Quinn Direct). Making the claim may only be worth €500 while the premium may rise by €700 the following year and obviously you have to consider the years after that where the premiums will be higher than if she didn't put through a claim. I am not suggesting that she should not put in a claim full stop but just that such considerations are made before one is put through. Obviously a lot, aside from amount of the calim will depend on personal circumstances such as years ncb, protected/ unprotected ncb, ability to shop around elsewhere for insurance cover come renewal time etc.

Would you be able to qualify this any further niceirishfella than just your word? Any time I rang an insurance company for a quotation, coming up to renewal time I was asked did I have any accidents, claims, pending claims or convictions. If what you are saying rings true all they would ask is do you have any claims, pending claims, or convictions? Also saying to ask insurance company for advice as it is what you pay them for does not make a whole lot of sense to me. I was under the illusion you pay your premium to cover risk. No doubt a certain amount goes into a fund to cover accidents of uninsured drivers and obviously people working for the insurance company need to be paid and there would be other costs. But regardless of what you are believed into thinking one of the functions of people working for insurance companies is to save them money and I think it is just foolish to assume they are on your side when making a claim or even an enquiry. I am not suggesting they are like the CIA or any such conspiracy theories though, just suggesting a little bit of commonsense should be exercised before putting in a claim.

In Missbakers case I think it may be foolish to make a claim at least on the face of it. To give a breakdown, assuming the accident repairs will cost under €1,000 (which may/ may not be the case) she may be paying a good deal towards the repairs herself anyway. If her voluntary excess is any way high plus as I already said she may well end up having to pay for tyres herself as they are wear and tear items (I know that they wouldn't be covered in my own policy with Quinn Direct). Making the claim may only be worth €500 while the premium may rise by €700 the following year and obviously you have to consider the years after that where the premiums will be higher than if she didn't put through a claim. I am not suggesting that she should not put in a claim full stop but just that such considerations are made before one is put through. Obviously a lot, aside from amount of the calim will depend on personal circumstances such as years ncb, protected/ unprotected ncb, ability to shop around elsewhere for insurance cover come renewal time etc.

John, You are making an awful lot of assumptions on the OP's insurance cover and my background enabling me to make informed comment. I have extensive motor industry trade experience which incorporated vast insurance dealings due to the nature of my previous role in rental as well as being an accident damage assessor.
    Like many long time posters here,I know my potatoes and you seem to be one of these new posters here on Boards who does'nt like to be corrected. If you are wrong tho', you'll need to get used to it.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't be putting a claim in for this. Leaving aside the airbag isssue, the damage is absolutey minimal.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be putting a claim in for this. Leaving aside the airbag isssue, the damage is absolutey minimal.

+1, but getting the car sorted could be costly and having all her options in front of her is important to make an informed decision.

John, You are making an awful lot of assumptions on the OP's insurance cover and my background enabling me to make informed comment. I have extensive motor industry trade experience which incorporated vast insurance dealings due to the nature of my previous role in rental as well as being an accident damage assessor.
    Like many long time posters here,I know my potatoes and you seem to be one of these new posters here on Boards who doesn't like to be corrected. If you are wrong tho', you'll need to get used to it.:rolleyes:

Well I suppose niceirishfella we will both have to make certain assumptions on the OP's insurance cover and particulars based on the incomplete information we have on said case. I am just merely trying to point out to her the potential pitfalls of making a claim based on certain case scenarios. I don't think many will argue with the fact that it would be foolish to assume that people working for insurance companies will automatically hold their customers interests high up the pecking order. For all we know it could well be worth her while putting the claim in but there would be a strong possibility that the insurance company would advise otherwise despite your own experinence. With all due respect I will say that if you were an insurance accessor and you did have a tendancy to put the customer first fair play to you but that approach differs greatly from friends/ relations experiences. I just think a bit of independent/ impartial advice may be the best option in this regard for the OP.

Unlike many other posters who I notice are a bit eager I would be slow to commit myself/ decline to comment if I was unsure or at least state I was unsure. I will however be the first to hold my hands up and admit if I am incorrect.

• Advertisement

+1, but getting the car sorted could be costly and having all her options in front of her is important to make an informed decision.

Ah I agree, ye can never have enough info, but my rule of thumb is, and this is not necessarily true for anyone except myself because I can luckily sort my own issues out, that unless it is like the car out of the Fr. Ted raffle episode, forget about insurance!

100-200 Euro would sort out the wheels, the mirror, easily resolved which just leaves the airbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

€300 for a wing mirror? I got mine for €30 when my lovely neighbours kids decided they didnt like the look of the old one.
    OP Definetly shop around for the best prices, it might take a little longer but is worth it

€300 for a wing mirror? I got mine for €30 when my lovely neighburs kids decided they didnt like the look of the old one.
    OP Definetly shop around for the best prices, it might take a little longer but is worth it

The OP's mirror is colour coded, you must be driving a Citreon Saxo or something with non colour coded matt black mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Glass for my '03 Civic 3dr (manual, non-tinted, non-heated, just the glass) cost me €73 last Summer when some tosser came around a corner sideways at me.

The Mk6 polo wing mirror is colour coded, electric, has an indicator built in and is probably heated/sun dimming. You'd be surprised how much these trivial VAG parts cost. I'll dig up a VW parts catalogue tomorrow. I'm not too sure of the legality of fitting reclaimed airbags you'd want to check this out (get a few quotes).

I do know that you may have to go to a Main Dealer to get the airbag controller/crash data log cleared on the OBC.

Thanks for all advice guys!! Made a few calls today nd have decided not to claim through my insurane. Would NOT be worth it at all. Going to call and price tyres Mopnday mornig and get them sorted and the tracking too, which is probably off. At least I'll be back on road then. Will look into airbag and miror then. Am not going to just leave i unfixed as 1 poster suggeted!!
    Many thanks for all tips though . .much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

there might be wishbone damage also

Ok . .thought wishbones were only in poultry!! What is that? Tell me more please . .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

missbaker wrote: »
    Ok . .thought wishbones were only in poultry!! What is that? Tell me more please . .

It's that part under the springs that joins onto the hub (part where wheel in mounted onto).

front%20lower%20wishbone.jpg

Hal1 wrote: »
    It's that part under the springs that joins onto the hub (part where wheel in mounted onto).

front%20lower%20wishbone.jpg

That isn't a wishbone. That's a 3rd year secondary school junior cert engineering project. OP, get the car checked out by a mechanic before you put it back on the road. Wishbone damage is fairly unlikely, don't mind the drama queen/"health and safety" lords on here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Yea I know it wasn't the best pic but I posted it to give the OP a rough idea of where it is on a car. It's an expensive part btw. :)

Advertisement