Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

definitive SLR

• 27-12-2008 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭

I'm new to photography but have always been interested in taking it up as a hobby. The price of equipment has always been a stickler for myself because I don't see the point in learning off an inferior camera, I'd much rather learn off one that will stand the test of time and that I can learn from as I go along, and upgrade without having to upgrade the camera.

With todays exchange rate with the sterling I've decided to take the plunge and invest in a decent camera, but I am lost in what to buy. Is there a definitive SLR that is easily upgraded, will stand the test of time (not outdate, and no good in a year) but it usable by a beginner. Is there one in particular that stands out from the rest?

My big thing is that I wanna learn with this but don't want to find in a year I need to go spend more money buying a new one because of limitations set on me by the camera.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I looked back a few pages and couldn't find anything and searches produced too many due to the popularity of Photography on boards.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Q2002 wrote: »
    With todays exchange rate with the sterling I've decided to take the plunge and invest in a decent camera, but I am lost in what to buy. Is there a definitive SLR that is easily upgraded, will stand the test of time (not outdate, and no good in a year) but it usable by a beginner. Is there one in particular that stands out from the rest?

One that stands out? NO. Afraid not.

There are so many choices out there, and in about 12 months, there will be a new camera body released to replace the one you bought. That's the nature of the game.

Have a look through the boards photography FAQ at the top. It should have some help in guiding you.

The main two camera brands would be Canon and Nikon. Then there are other brands such as Olympus, Pentax, Sony, Fuji and many many more.

You are buying in to a brand, not just buying a camera. You also have to consider what lenses you want, what you want to photograph, what functions/features you might use.

More questions than answers for you, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You'll be investing in lenses rather than in a camera. A few good lenses will cost far more than a camera body, and assuming you go with one of the big systems you'll be easily able to replace the camera body and keep using your lenses as you learn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

In my limited experience, I think any entry level SLR (450D for instance) is perfect for the beginner, with the ability to take excellent shots.

Personally, I have a 400D, which is rather basic in the grand scheme of things. However, I love it. That's not to say I wouldn't love a 5D either, but that's me getting way ahead of myself.

Before I even think about upgrading my camera, I want to have a nice collection of lenses, that would include a wide angle, telephoto, fisheye etc. This will probably take me close to a year to afford what I want, as (good) lenses are not cheap by any means. But the better quality lens you have available to you, the more versatile your camera becomes.

Just check out flickr, you can search for photos by certain cameras, you'll find photos that came from a 450D (a 4/500 euro camera) that are absolutely stunning, and you'll find photos from a 5D mkII (a 2500 euro camera) that are really nothing special, of course this works both ways.

What kind of budget do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

PaulW has given you your answer I'm afraid, plain & simple.
    Most entry-level D-SLR's will stand the test of time, or at least until you want to upgrade/change.
    Is there a definitive SLR
    ....yes, they are called PRO cameras.
    But.......there's nothing stopping you buying a 2nd hand (or entry model) D-SLR for around €200 > €600. In a years time (or so, as it will take you this long to fully test out your skills I reckon) you could then sell your kit & upgrade to a pro (semi-pro) camera !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Stephen wrote: »
    You'll be investing in lenses rather than in a camera. A few good lenses will cost far more than a camera body, and assuming you go with one of the big systems you'll be easily able to replace the camera body and keep using your lenses as you learn.
    I've alway fancied a Nikon. Any recommendations as to what camera body to buy first?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Short answer - No

Long answer .... I think you really need to think about what you want to do in Photography & the sort of gear this requires. To get what you have described above then you will be looking at a Nikon D3X or Canon 5D II with a range of lenses & other accessories Then there is the PP equipment & software. This would be an investment of €6K to €10K (or more) The body would be ready for an update in 2 to 3 years.

The question you have posed is like going to a Motoring Forum & asking "I am about to learn to drive but I would eventually like to compete in Motor Racing. I want to buy a car in which I can learn but when I am good enough be competitive on the track" I am not having a go at you here, just trying to illustrate the scope of what you have asked.

My advice, if you are serious about getting into photography, would be to get an entry level DSLR or a recent used one where someone has upgraded. Probably best to look within the two main systems (Canon & Nikon) and then spend some time learning about the basics. Look into doing a Photography Course in your area. Get used to the fact that there will always be new toys to tempt you that you cannot afford. Every camera on the market has limitations & there is no such thing as the perfect one. You just have to find the system that is the best compromise for what YOU want to acheive.

There is a Camera Selector in one of the Stickies above which may help you choose.

Good luck & enjoy the journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I would reccomend nikon as fairly much all nikon lenses will fit on nikon bodies. Plus I use one and like it. However each to thier own.

Secondly (if you are attracted to the blackness of nikon :D) maybe try for a nikon d80.. the d90 has 'replaced' it but its still capable and may be within your budget as it will beg cheaper now that its 'obsolete'. Not literally obsolete mind but just in the eyes of technophiles. [avoid being a technophile - take pictures for fun :D] { Also FYI Hard core leica hoors will tell you that no other camera is worth useing except a leica and kodak tri-x film. Ignore those idiots and have fun}

Next if you are worried about obsolete just get an old 35mm film SLR they dont get out dated anymore!! Though you cannot get instant feedback like on digital but it will make you think more about what pictures you are taking.

Finally if you are getting in jessops you can usually get a lens aswell in a bundle.. like a 70-300. That with kit lens and a prime should have you sorted for 99.5% things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Q2002 wrote: »
    My big thing is that I wanna learn with this but don't want to find in a year I need to go spend more money buying a new one because of limitations set on me by the camera.

I wouldn't fret too much about this. Most likely, the camera you get will only be limited by your imagination, your passion and your ability. Some of the best photos ever produced were taken with little wooden boxes, a stop watch and a piece of cardboard to cover the lense.

Learn how to develop a style with an entry level model and don't fool yourself into thinking that after a year you will have out grown this camera and need a new one with more bells and whistles. Either way, most photographers use only a few of the camera features 90% of the time. The bells and whistles are simply there to amuse us when we've lost our inspiration.

The best thing you could do IMO, is to buy an entry level camera and a half decent lense. No matter who makes it. Oh... and a good book. The one I'd recommend is called Understanding Exposure. Get that book and treat it as your bible.

Dave OS

Advertisement