Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shiba Inu experiences?

Options
  • 27-12-2008 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

My boyfriend is buying me a dog for my 21st bday. Now before people start telling me about how puppies arent just cute birthday presents and how I have to be a responsible owner etc etc we have already spoken at length about this and made sure we are making the right decision in getting a dog. The question is which one?

I would have loved a siberian husky but after reading up on them I think I have decided it would be a bit too much for me to handle as a first time dog owner. They have isues with digging holes, chewing and escaping and shedding alot of hair and since we are living in rented accom I dont think it would be suitable, much as I would like to think it is. I would never be irresponsible and get a pet knowing there would be a chance I might have to rehome it a few months later because I couldnt handle it.

So Im looking for a similar looking smaller house dog with a more reserved temperament and I came across the shiba inu. It seems to tick all the boxes but I cant seem to locate any reputable breeders. Only ones I can find are on the buy and sell and similar advertising sites.

What are peoples experiences with these dogs and are there any owners that could refer me to a reputable registered breeder who is planning a litter in the next 6 months? I would be very grateful for your help and advice.

Cheers,

C :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Good luck finding a reputable breeder, I've got a shiba but that's hardly enough experience to make statements on a whole breed.

He's very clean, didn't need to be house trained, doesn't care much for other male dog's, and is unreliable off lead as he will chase every dog/rabbit/cat, all of which are meant to be breed traits.

If you're living in a rented place though any pup is likely to rip things up:o

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

I know thats what I was worried about but thinking about it theres not much for him to rip up we only have carpet in living room and a leather couch which is insured by the landlord who is pretty easygoing about pretty much anything.

He had a big dog himself while he was living there so id say he'd be ok with us having one cuz he asked us if we wanted to keep his dog when we rented the house first as he would have to rehome him otherwise. We had never considered owning one at that stage so we said no.

I was reading about the crate training method and thought it might be a good idea to use a childs wooden playpen instead so he wouldnt be so isolated when im at work.That might prevent a few disasters.

Where did you get your shiba from Bambi?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Don't have one myself, but have always been fascinated by them, and there's a guy near me who has one that I've talked to a few times about them when I've met them both out on 'walkies'. They're lovely, friendly dogs alright, but according to him their character is somewhat more independent than most dogs, more like a cat than a dog really in that they engage with you more on their terms than yours, a little "stand-offish" if you like. He did say though that as a result of this, that they didn't mind being left alone as much as some dogs might .. don't know how reliable this is though. They also moult like crazy twice a year, regular as clockwork.

sadista wrote: »

Where did you get your shiba from Bambi?

Not from a reputable breeder anyway, only meself to blame :o

Alun wrote: »
    Don't have one myself, but have always been fascinated by them, and there's a guy near me who has one that I've talked to a few times about them when I've met them both out on 'walkies'. They're lovely, friendly dogs alright, but according to him their character is somewhat more independent than most dogs, more like a cat than a dog really in that they engage with you more on their terms than yours, a little "stand-offish" if you like. He did say though that as a result of this, that they didn't mind being left alone as much as some dogs might .. don't know how reliable this is though. They also moult like crazy twice a year, regular as clockwork.

Thanks for the insight Alun, Ive read about them being fiercely independant alright, which would be fine cuz then I wouldnt feel so bad about leaving him at home during the day. I think im going to settle on the Shiba, seems like one would be easy enough to groom and train and I would need something easy as it is my first time to own a dog. Are the black and white type rarer than the normal fox like colour or is it pretty much 50/50? I would love a little fella like this one here:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/oisinoc/1cd1.jpg
    (swiped from a previous post)

If anyone can put me in touch with a breeder it would be great. Anywhere in Ireland is fine but preferably the leinster area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You can never guarantee a dog will be easy you will gain certain traits from breeds but you can get two of the same breed and one can be a little monkey and the other a little mouse.
    Puppy classes will be a good way to help you with training and also get the dog mixing with other people and dogs.

Do be careful, as said, where you get the dog from.
    I've met Shiba Inus before, beautiful dogs but do remember with a larger breed you need a car where the dog will fit in it safely, food costs are very high and the bigger the dog the bigger some vet bills like spaying/neutering can be etc.

Maybe I'm being a nay sayer but if the dog's left on it's own for most of the day on good days ( and on bad days when will it see someone? 10 hours? 12 hours later? ) then even the most independent dog wont take that well. How would you feel if you were stuck in a house for most of the day with no telly, phone, books or anything else to occupy your time? for the rest of your life? My lad is like a cat when it comes to independence but ultimately he is still a dog and he'd go mental in a situation like that I think.

Do be careful, as said, where you get the dog from.
    I've met Shiba Inus before, beautiful dogs but do remember with a larger breed you need a car where the dog will fit in it safely, food costs are very high and the bigger the dog the bigger some vet bills like spaying/neutering can be etc.

shiba's aren't a big breed by any stretch of the imagination? :confused:

Bambi wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being a nay sayer but if the dog's left on it's own for most of the day on good days ( and on bad days when will it see someone? 10 hours? 12 hours later? ) then even the most independent dog wont take that well. How would you feel if you were stuck in a house for most of the day with no telly, phone, books or anything else to occupy your time? for the rest of your life? My lad is like a cat when it comes to independence but ultimately he is still a dog and he'd go mental in a situation like that I think.

No he wouldnt be left completely on his own all day, I work long shifts but there are 3 other people living in my house who would be around him for a couple of hours here and there and are fond of dogs also so he would still be getting plenty of attention. I would love to be able to stay at home all day but I gotta work no other choice. I was just saying I wouldnt feel so bad leaving him during the day knowing that he would be a little indepent I never said he would be completely isolated all day.

My mum has had a yorkshire terrier for 5 years and she only lets him in house for an hour or two each evening and he's the happiest dog in the world, no problems and no destructive behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I stand corrected I'm thinkin of the akita inu, always get me inus mixed up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Icyitadaki

New shiba fans may find this introduction useful,
    while owners might be happy reading some tips and tricks
    regarding their training.

www.shiba.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

sadista wrote: »
    No he wouldnt be left completely on his own all day, I work long shifts but there are 3 other people living in my house who would be around him for a couple of hours here and there and are fond of dogs also so he would still be getting plenty of attention. I would love to be able to stay at home all day but I gotta work no other choice. I was just saying I wouldnt feel so bad leaving him during the day knowing that he would be a little indepent I never said he would be completely isolated all day.

JUst one thing to bear in mind in your situation as you are renting and sharing with people is that you may need to move on to another house where the landlord isn't too keen on you having dogs or you may end up moving somewhere where you aren't sharing with 3 other people who will be around during the day when you are at work. People moving into new accommodation where their landlord won't allow a dog is a big reason as to why people give up their dogs.

Also, just from my experience as a dog owner, they take a lot of time and dedication and can severely restrict your ability to do things (such as for example, deciding at the last minute to go out for a few drinks after work with your work colleagues) You say you are getting this dog for your 21st. Are you really sure you are ready for such a big committment at that age? I know for a fact that I would never have been ready for a dog at 21 even if I thought at the time I was. Even now, I can't just decide on a whim to stay out in town with friends on a mad one as I have to make sure I get home to feed the dogs etc and deciding to do things like going away for a weekend on the spur of the moment isn't an option anymore.

Just a few things to consider before making such a big decision. :)

Maybe you could try out fostering for a rescue group for a few months to see how a dog would fit into your lifestyle and how much it would impact on your life

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭odnauq

I adopted my Shiba from Sakanda Kennels in Westmeath. Owners Alec and Barbara Henry alecbarbara@hotmail.com
    Very independent dog and doesn't mind being alone during the day. Of course my Shiba was a champion showdog in his younger day and is now retired. Did you know that breeder dogs are euthanized after seven years?
    Please folks, adopt older dogs ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

. Did you know that breeder dogs are euthanized after seven years?
    Please folks, adopt older dogs ..........[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but can i ask where you got your info from??? You cant just make a comment like that, i know a lot of breeders and show people and they dont put their dogs to sleep at 7 yrs.

I believe dogs have to retire at some point. Perhaps my dog was older when I adopted him, anyway he brings me much joy and he has been healthy and happy for the past 3+ years. I will do some research on the working life of breeder and show dogs. Sorry if I have offended you and I still like to see older dogs adopted.

Still researching....If you see a breeder selling puppies from an 8 year old dog that's had 6 litters, run away. That person is only trying to make as much money as possible and doesn't care about the health of his dogs.....
    At what age do you believe a dog should retire and be homed????

Why do they need to be rehomed at all?

I have a rottweiler that i show, but once he is finished showing he wont be going anywhere, hes my pet first and will be with me til the day he dies. That goes for most people i know showing their dogs.

Yes of course they need to retire some day, but why cant they do that with the family or person that owns them? Why do you think there is a need to rehome them, sounds strange to me that you would think like that.

From talking to some people who show dog's they've mentioned having to "move them on" or "let them go" if the dog's not winning or too old to compete :rolleyes:

Well they are people who only have one thing on their mind, and thats winning.

The majority of the people i know at shows have their dogs as pets and show as an added bonus with their dog/dogs and would never move them on. Most people who show are real pet owners/lovers and dont rehome their dogs once they are finished showing.

Quote: "move them on" or "let them go" if the dog's not winning :mad:
    Happens to many greyhounds who retire.
    Back to the original request for onfo on Shibas - should a person buy a new dog from a pet store or rescue a retired greyhound? This could go on for ages and I still think people should adopt pets. You know the rescue centers are full and some dogs are euthanized. More humane than being abandoned on the highways and byways.
    I've had 5 lovely dogs in my lifetime and all were preowned.
    Happy New Year to y'all! I'm away to walk my beautiful Shiba

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement