Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged E2.00 for today's Irish Times

Options
  • 27-12-2008 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Just bought the above paper from my local Spar and was charged E2.00 but at the top of the front page it says clearly E1.80 (incl. VAT) which I only noticed when I got home!! Am I right? and if so what should I do about it?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you are right, todays is 1.80. However the independent was €2 today, as a 'weekend edition'

Possibly they charged you for the indo? Or is the saturday times not normally 2 and they typed in sat times?

If it was me I'd do nothing, it's 20c. Maybe say it the next time you are in shop

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

copacetic wrote: »
    you are right, todays is 1.80. However the independent was €2 today, as a 'weekend edition'

Possibly they charged you for the indo? Or is the saturday times not normally 2 and they typed in sat times?

If it was me I'd do nothing, it's 20c. Maybe say it the next time you are in shop

Thanks, will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

http://www.irishtimes.com/

Use this^ its free, and find something better to worry about than 20c

krudler wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/

Use this^ its free, and find something better to worry about than 20c

It's a recession pal.. look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves. Anyway I don't think the crossword is available in the online version afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You're right, it is a recession, but you went onto boards.ie to post about being overcharged 20c. In the time it took you to post that message, there's your monitor on, pc on, presumably your router for internet access ...that's another 4c or so you could have saved :rolleyes:

It's not really a consumer issue to be honest

• Advertisement

brousuka wrote: »
    It's a recession pal.. look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves. Anyway I don't think the crossword is available in the online version afaik.

"a recession" jesus why is that everyones excuse for everything these days? are we all on the bread line? no, theres plenty of things worth complaining about, 20c isnt one of them I wouldnt take the time out of my day to complain about something like that in a shop I'd look like a lunatic

Well, I wouldn't go back to complain, but if I noticed it there, of course I'd say something!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

brousuka wrote: »
    It's a recession pal.. look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.

we use euro and cent now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

I bought my Irish Times in a branch of Easons today. The paper was marked at €1.80 but it scanned at €2. I pointed out the price marked on the paper itself and was given 20 cent change!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The price indicated on the paper is merely a rrp and the shops are free to charge whatever they want.

however to avoid confusion they should cover the rrp with a correct price label.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

I saw someone in M&S being charged €2 for the IT and then mentioned to the cashier that the paper had it as €1.80. The cashier gave him the 20cent back.

I suspect that IT made a boo boo with the barcode as weekend editions are normally €2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 shifers

Exact same thing happened to me in M&S the Saturday before Christmas. The fact that it's still happening is a bit fishy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

You're right, it is a recession, but you went onto boards.ie to post about being overcharged 20c. In the time it took you to post that message, there's your monitor on, pc on, presumably your router for internet access ...that's another 4c or so you could have saved :rolleyes:

"a recession" jesus why is that everyones excuse for everything these days? are we all on the bread line? no, theres plenty of things worth complaining about, 20c isnt one of them I wouldnt take the time out of my day to complain about something like that in a shop I'd look like a lunatic

TouchingVirus - of course this is a consumer issue.
    With all due respect to yourself and krudler, the OP is dead right to point this out, and I think both of you are missing the point.

Where do you draw the line? 50c, €1, €5?
    If this happened in every Spar, I'd imagine they'd make a nice bit of money on it (Tesco/Dunnes might be a better example). It might be "only" 20c to me or you, but if it happens to a couple of thousand customers, it beings to add up. And then if it happens every day/week, obviously the effect is multiplied.

Also, what if they overcharge you by 20c on every item?

Also, when you look at it, you're actually paying over 10% more than the marked price. Many are already heading North to do their shopping. Imagine adding 10%+ to the prices we're already paying here...

The thing is, I'd suspect this happens quite a bit. Not necessarily in Spar in particular, or in relation to the Irish times, but I mean special offers not being set up at the till or price cuts not being updated on the system etc.. If you're buying 50 or 60 items in your weekly shopping you're not (generally speaking) going to notice 20c added on to a couple of items here or there. Yet if this happens to thousands of customers day after day, it is a tidy extra profit for the stores.

Anyway, I'll leave the mini-rant there :). I'll just say two more things:
    1. The fact that it's a convenience store like Spar means you're already paying more than you should have to (generally speaking) in a supermarket.
    2. If you were asked to pay 10% more on a tv advertised at €500, I bet you'd have a few words to say about it...

OP, thanks for posting about this and you should definitely inform them next time you're in the shop. All of the above said, I wouldn't be trekking down asking for me 20c back, but I'd point it out next time or even ring them and let the manager know. If they do nothing about it, report them (please!).

2. If you were asked to pay 10% more on a tv advertised at €500, I bet you'd have a few words to say about it...

Yeah because thats the exact same thing as paying 20c more for a newspaper you'll only throw away one you've finished reading it:rolleyes:

Yeah because thats the exact same thing as paying 20c more for a newspaper you'll only throw away one you've finished reading it:rolleyes:

If you're going to deliberately miss the very simple point I made above, then fair enough. In case you just didn't get it, I'll state it again. You're paying over 10% more than the advertised price.

Now, if you were out shopping and got to the till and were told to pay 10% more on the total of your weekly shopping, or on a purchase or a large electrical item/piece of furniture etc., how would you feel?

Just because the item is thrown away when you're finished with it and it's lifespan is shorter, doesn't make what I'm saying any less valid.

Where do you draw the line for being over-charged then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The RRP for the "Weekend Edition" of the Irish Times is normally €2.

It looks as if the people in the Irish Times printed the wrong price on the paper. I wonder how much they charged the retailer?

The price printed on the paper is only a Recommended price. The retailer can charge what they want for the product. If you do not want to pay the price then you can always put the paper back on the shelf

jahalpin wrote: »
    The RRP for the "Weekend Edition" of the Irish Times is normally €2.

It looks as if the people in the Irish Times printed the wrong price on the paper. I wonder how much they charged the retailer?

The price printed on the paper is only a Recommended price. The retailer can charge what they want for the product. If you do not want to pay the price then you can always put the paper back on the shelf

Fair enough if the price is usually €2 and it's only a recommended price. However, going by what the OP wrote, the price was €1.80 on the paper, and there was nothing to indicate a different price (i.e. €2) in the store (if there was and the OP missed it, well that's a different story). Therefore, he/she expected to pay €1.80 for it.

Yes, it could be returned to the shelf if you don't want to pay the money for it, but it seems the OP only noticed when they got home. As I said before, you're not really going to notice 20c if you're buying a few things. But if this happens to every person who buys the Irish Times and happens week after week, the overall effect will be considerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

So if you don't mind paying €20 for €18 of petrol, seems like a growing trend for shops to over charge items by 10c & people to scared to say anything about it, so the shops keep on doing it.

TouchingVirus, lets say 20c a day for a year, you can send me the €71.2 and I won't roll my eyes.

Thanks Publin, my point explained by you entirely! great reply post. 10% is 10% and of course this is a consumer issue.

BTW if I was short 20 cent for a packet of fags or any item in my local Spar they wouldn't give it to me, no way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Its the principle of it.

And dont just say it when you go back into the shop, simply dont go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Its the principle of it.

And dont just say it when you go back into the shop, simply dont go back.

but if its a printing error by the times why punish the shop when its not their fault??

Publin wrote: »
    If you're going to deliberately miss the very simple point I made above, then fair enough. In case you just didn't get it, I'll state it again. You're paying over 10% more than the advertised price.

Now, if you were out shopping and got to the till and were told to pay 10% more on the total of your weekly shopping, or on a purchase or a large electrical item/piece of furniture etc., how would you feel?

Just because the item is thrown away when you're finished with it and it's lifespan is shorter, doesn't make what I'm saying any less valid.

Where do you draw the line for being over-charged then?

Not at 20c anyway:D

And its not the same issue, its not even close, paying 10% of a large amount isnt the same thing as paying an extra 20c, Id have been glad to be rid of the 20c piece that will only wind up down the back of the couch anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

This works both ways when the price of the paper goes up and the shop forgets to put the new price into the system - when the saturday version of the regular paper I take goes up, it takes them weeks to catch up, even after I have told them about it!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The recession is here, the Daily Mail is availible at half the price. :pac:

Advertisement