Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Alamgam,
    Only managed to get that Wars cream in the post today, you should have it in the next few days, sorry for the delay...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

No need to apologise. Anything by post of that nature is a treat, doesn't matter how long it takes.

--

Just to save myself an extra post, I ordered some Proraso and Speick shaving cream. Anyone used the Speick brand before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Amalgam wrote: »
    Just to save myself an extra post, I ordered some Proraso and Speick shaving cream. Anyone used the Speick brand before?

Not the cream, but the soap is very good especially when combined with shaving cream - what mantic59 refers to as 'superlather' :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dbar wrote: »

I'm curious has anyone bought this, if so any chance of taking a photo of it comparing it to a euro coin or something, also let me know if its the lg or small model as I'm curious about the size compared to the brush I use.

It certainly seems to be the business and at around 31e its not a bad price I guess

Cabaal,
    You can double that inc. postage, I asked!
    I have the poor mans version, I got a bowl from Connaught, and it floats in the sink water, just about, the water comes up right to the lip.
    Actually, I got the one with a small handle, which causes it to dip at that end in the water, however if you put the brush directly opposite it balances out!

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm curious has anyone bought this, if so any chance of taking a photo of it comparing it to a euro coin or something, also let me know if its the lg or small model as I'm curious about the size compared to the brush I use.

It certainly seems to be the business and at around 31e its not a bad price I guess

Unless you have a €300+ brush the small one will do fine.

Many thanks to dbar for a tube of Wars shaving cream this morning. No return address, very naughty, so I can't pamper him with something in return..

warsdbaruk5.jpg

Nice compact tube, perfect for travel, not sure if the amount is security friendly, oddly the mass is in grammes and not milliliters. 65 grammes.

I read about this smelling of lavender, I don't get that at all, what I do get is a smell Irish folk might not be too familiar with, Fleur d’Oranger (Orange Blossom?), which is used in toiletries, moisturisers etc. and even pastries, biscuits, on the continent, France in particular.

The cream is quite firm and has a texture of packing foam, compared to the likes of Palmolive Classic (Green).

THe company that manufactures Wars is situated in Kraków, Poland.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cabaal,
    You can double that inc. postage, I asked!

ah crap, thats some pain

I've been using a safety razor for years but had never tried the legendary cream until this morning. Very, very nice, the tingle of the methol and eucalyptus is very pleasant on the skin. Made a nice lather but found I needed to use a lot more cream than the English ones I usually use. Luckily it's cheap!

MT

Eucalyptus, I look forward to that. Connaught Shaving sell Proraso in a large 500ml 'soft' tube. http://connaughtshaving.com/prorasopsc.html

What a beast.

• Advertisement

Many thanks to dbar for a tube of Wars shaving cream this morning. No return address, very naughty, so I can't pamper him with something in return..

warsdbaruk5.jpg

Nice compact tube, perfect for travel, not sure if the amount is security friendly, oddly the mass is in grammes and not milliliters. 65 grammes.

I read about this smelling of lavender, I don't get that at all, what I do get is a smell Irish folk might not be too familiar with, Fleur d’Oranger (Orange Blossom?), which is used in toiletries, moisturisers etc. and even pastries, biscuits, on the continent, France in particular.

The cream is quite firm and has a texture of packing foam, compared to the likes of Palmolive Classic (Green).

THe company that manufactures Wars is situated in Kraków, Poland.

That was fast! If you get anything interesting in let me know and I'll drop you a pm

That was fast! If you get anything interesting in let me know and I'll drop you a pm
    :D

Eucalyptus, I look forward to that. Connaught Shaving sell Proraso in a large 500ml 'soft' tube. http://connaughtshaving.com/prorasopsc.html

What a beast.

That's what I have. But like I said I found I needed to use more to get 'meringue'.

At the risk of turning the thread into one big thank you Circle Jerk, firmly grasping each others razors.. I'd like to pass on dbar's kindness by posting out 3 blade sample packs.

I'm basically getting rid of my loose blades. The selection goes from the not-so-sharp to 'Is there a Doctor present?'.

3 Lots of 5 - Global selection

1 x Crystal - Super Platinum - Israeli Personna (Israel)
    1 x Derby Extra (Turkey)
    1 x Merkur Super (Germany)
    1 x Feather New Hi-Stainless (Japan)
    Lot #1 has the following duplicate blade.

1 x Derby Extra (Turkey)
    Lot #2 has the following duplicate blade.
    1 x Derby Extra (Turkey)

1 x Derby Extra (Turkey)
    Lot #3 has the following duplicate blade.

---

Make a post on-thread and state the Lot you want. Send me a PM with your postal details after.

Don't be shy. I pass on any addresses collected to the Revenue, Scientologists and the Church of Latter day Saints.. :pac:

Who has found their go to blade yet? Or are y'all still experimenting?

The lack of 'feedback' using a Feather, especially with a proper lather, has cut my relationship short with 'em, against the grain with it always left me worse off, on the neck anyway.

Hated the Dorco, might as well have shaved with a canteen tray..

Love the Crystal (Super Platinum) (ordered 50), I get lovely 'skritt skritt' feed-back. I know what the blade is at.. No neck problems. No speckles just under the nostrils. There's a 'Red' Israeli Personna brand that is meant to be as nice as the Crystal (IP as well), but I've not stumbled across them.

I'd take lot #1 if thats ok

1 x Derby Extra (Turkey)

Let me know if thats ok and I can PM you details

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

At the risk of turning the thread into one big thank you Circle Jerk, firmly grasping each others razors.. I'd like to pass on dbar's kindness by posting out 3 blade sample packs.

I'm basically getting rid of my loose blades. The selection goes from the not-so-sharp to 'Is there a Doctor present?'.

1 x Derby Extra (Turkey)

1 x Derby Extra (Turkey)
    1 x Derby Extra (Turkey)

1 x Derby Extra (Turkey)

---

Make a post on-thread and state the Lot you want. Send me a PM with your postal details after.

Don't be shy. I pass on any addresses collected to the Revenue, Scientologists and the Church of Latter day Saints.. :pac:

I'd love to get lot #3 if it's still there. I've only tried Derby extras and Treet platinums.

Cabaal, that's fine, Lot #1 for yourself then. PM with a postal address of some sort and I'll mail them out. Situated in South Dublin, so, depending where you are in the country, give it a day or so.

---

Lot #1 is taken, Lot #2 & Lot #3 still available.

1 x Derby Extra (Turkey)

1 x Derby Extra (Turkey)
    1 x Derby Extra (Turkey)

1 x Derby Extra (Turkey)

---

Ok noby, Lot #3 for yourself. Drop me a PM with a postal address of some sort.

---

Lot #2 still available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I'll take Lot 2 please

Cheers tribulus, Lot #2 for yourself. That's it. All loose blades handed out. Offer closed.

Thanks for your time, enjoy your shaves.

I've still got 30 or so Merkur blades if anyone wants them, and a 5 pack of Tiger blades. Just LMK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Cheers Amalgam. PM sent.

Thanks Amalgam, I've sent a PM with the details

PM's received. Blades packed. I'll dump them into a postbox sometime this afternoon.

---

MediaTank, just a quickie, Shavemac? Looking for Silvertip, nothing too floppy, shaving cream user only.

http://www.shavemac.com/documents/home.html

I'm happy enough with the appearance and build of the Shavemac brushes, just not happy with their euro prices direct from the site, it seems, at first glace, that it might be cheaper to get a Shavemac from the US, through an online seller.

Feel free to divert me away from that brand. The Shavemac Retro line looks nice. I also like how you can order the brushes with or without a logo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

Yup I use them h.gif. You can find cheap blades on Ebay usually. Shop around online, there are plenty of places. A better/cheaper way to shave imo (not as good as straight blade but I never have time for that).

MediaTank, just a quickie, Shavemac? Looking for Silvertip, nothing too floppy, shaving cream user only.

http://www.shavemac.com/documents/home.html

I'm happy enough with the appearance and build of the Shavemac brushes, just not happy with their euro prices direct from the site, it seems, at first glace, that it might be cheaper to get a Shavemac from the US, through an online seller.

Feel free to divert me away from that brand. The Shavemac Retro line looks nice. I also like how you can order the brushes with or without a logo.

They come highly recommended.

MT

Can anyone suggest a stand for a razor and brush, more procisely a progress and a Vulfix 2235 Super Badger Brush, its awful hard to judge from pictures on-line something that is suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Cabaal wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a stand for a razor and brush, more procisely a progress and a Vulfix 2235 Super Badger Brush, its awful hard to judge from pictures on-line something that is suitable.

Looking around the various shaving fora, it looks like a toothbrush holder
    is ideal for using as a razor holder. I'm planning on checking out the
    likes of Home Store & More for a toothbrush holder that will hold a couple
    of razors (I have my Futur already and I also have a Progress in the post
    and due today).

I like Mantic59's tap shaped holder
    http://mantic59.blogspot.com/2008/03/that-cool-razor-stand.html

As for the brush, I use a separate brush stand.

Advertisement