Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Corkfeen wrote: »
    So fairly good odds of finding it in Spain? I know what I'm doing on my holidays. :D

Well worth checking the local supermarkets when in Spain.
    I always pick up the La Toja shaving cream and soap sticks
    http://www.latoja.com/productos/afeitado/crema-de-afeitar/classic.html

The Nivea cream can be a little harder to find but I have picked it up in the Carrefour supermarkets around Barcelona.

Keep an eye out for the Floid range as well in the supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Amalgam wrote: »
    Just a quick out and about sighting, taken yesterday, in the window of 'Christy Bird', South Richmond Street, Dublin.

wr97.jpg

It looks like a Gem?

It's either a Gem or an Ever-Ready. It's more than like a Gem though, as they seem much more common than the Ever-Ready razors.

Pretty good shavers if you can get the blades for them.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Just a quick out and about sighting, taken yesterday, in the window of 'Christy Bird', South Richmond Street, Dublin.

It looks like a Gem?

Looks like a Gem SE to me along with a brush tube and a soap stick container.
    I had a loan of one a while back, aggressive little razor!
    Connaught stock the blades.

Looks like a Gem SE to me along with a brush tube and a soap stick container.
    I had a loan of one a while back, aggressive little razor!
    Connaught stock the blades.

I owned an open comb version of a Gem (Gem Micromatic). That was an aggressive little bugger but gave some really nice shaves.

The only I issue I had was getting blades I liked for it. The blades that Connaught Shaving sell are made by Ted Pella (I think) and are a little bit different than the single edge blades you can still buy in the US for this type of razor. I preferred the ones available in the US over the Ted Pella blades I got so when I ran out of the blades I like I just decided to sell the razor.

That said lots of people do like the Ted Pella blades and can be had for a bit of a bargain if you buy a large number of them and live in the US. There have been a few group buys on Badger and Blade of thos blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 real ballix

If you can get monsavon locally you should also look out for the Nivea shaving cream in a tube. I haven't seen in in UK or here but widespread in other European countries.
    A great product for the price

http://www.en.nivea-me.com/products/Mens-Care/product-type/shaving-Cream

They have that everywhere, and I actually thought you could get that in Ireland... I used use it, but since I got a safety razor I never used creams, only soaps... until recently again. Trying out the Trumpers samples, and the Trufitt and Hill samples... I like the Sandalwood, not the Coconut Oil, will get thru some more of them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

hfallada wrote: »
    I have a Gillette mach and can no longer get blades easily for it. Which if these razors is best for a beginner but I want to use it for years.

Merkur 34C
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merkur-Double-Razor-Safety-razor/dp/B002A8JO1Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Edwin Jagger De89bl
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwin-Jagger-De89bl-Chrome-Plated/dp/B003LW4L2W/ref=zg_bs_74085031_8

I started out with the Edwin Jagger and it was great. Both of those razors will last years (and probably decades if you want).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

So fairly good odds of finding it in Spain? I know what I'm doing on my holidays. :D

Pick up some La Toja as well - excellent creme.

MadsL wrote: »
    Pick up some La Toja as well - excellent creme.

Two euro a tube in the supermarket yesterday for either the regular or sensitive la Toja. The la Toja balm is around 4 euro a bottle. Nivea cream around 2.30 a tube. Unfortunately no la Toja sticks on the shelf so will have to try elsewhere this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 David K. Woodard

I have already been using a Merkur for the past couple of years and I will never go back to a multi bladed system, although my first ever shave was with a double edged Wilkinsion. The shaves are considerably closer and gratifying and of course the replacement blades are a hell of the lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Proraso and Floid are great for this weather :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

Hi folks Im in la belle France on mes vacances at the moment-is there anything shaving related I can pick up reasonably cheaply here?

thanks

daithi

Monsavon Bol à Raser is something you should look out for. You should be able to find it easy enough in chemists or supermarkets. Should be pretty cheap too.

bol-a-raser-monsavon-1u.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Today's iBood may be of some interest to those in this thread. http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

daithi1970 wrote: »
    Hi folks Im in la belle France on mes vacances at the moment-is there anything shaving related I can pick up reasonably cheaply here?

thanks

daithi

Nivea shaving cream in a tube and styptic pencils are easy to find in most supermarkets. I've also picked up the Williams brand of shaving creams in tubes.

testicle wrote: »
    Today's iBood may be of some interest to those in this thread. http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

I'm confused, maybe its the heat and alcohol, but the ibood offer is for Gillette fusion blades? Wrong thread me thinks. I wouldn't use a fusion if it was free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm confused, maybe its the heat and alcohol, but the ibood offer is for Gillette fusion blades? Wrong thread me thinks. I wouldn't use a fusion if it was free.

A cruel joke perhaps? I was expect a Merkur for some strange reason.... I guess it is of interest though, 35 euro for a razor and 13 blade is daylight robbery! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

A cruel joke perhaps? I was expect a Merkur for some strange reason.... I guess it is of interest though, 35 euro for a razor and 13 blade is daylight robbery! :D

I can just picture the Gillette mad men response:

Don't you mean 65 blades? Doesn't sounds quite as bad now, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

newkie wrote: »
    I can just picture the Gillette mad men response:

Don't you mean 65 blades? Doesn't sounds quite as bad now, does it?

It did cross my mind but I could get a 100 high quality feather blades for 25 .... :D

It did cross my mind but I could get a 100 high quality feather blades for 25 .... :D

25 euros? That's a pretty good price and raises a good question. Where is the best deal on Feather blades?

25 euros? That's a pretty good price and raises a good question. Where is the best deal on Feather blades?

Check ebay, plenty of 100 packs of Feathers for under 25 euro delivered.

• Advertisement

Nivea shaving cream in a tube and styptic pencils are easy to find in most supermarkets. I've also picked up the Williams brand of shaving creams in tubes.

Is the Williams brand any good? the Leclerc sotres here in France seem to have a whole range of their stuff.. I did get a few of the Monsavon shaving soaps, adnan interesting looking wilkinson sword badger shaving brush..pics later if I can work out how to do it:rolleyes:

daithi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Any chance you could pick us up a Monsavon and I'll send you payment and postage when you get home?

daithi1970 wrote: »
    Is the Williams brand any good? the Leclerc sotres here in France seem to have a whole range of their stuff.. I did get a few of the Monsavon shaving soaps, adnan interesting looking wilkinson sword badger shaving brush..pics later if I can work out how to do it:rolleyes:

daithi

The Williams cream is made by Sara Lee. It was a couple of years back but I recall trying the regular, sensitive and menthol versions. Think they only cost a couple of euro per tube and were worth trying. Scent wasn't amazing but left the skin feeling good afterwards. I preferred the Nivea cream. Give it a punt and left us know your thoughts! The Monoprix chain of stores had a good range of old school shaving gear. http://courses.monoprix.fr/RIDE/Creme-a-raser-pour-blaireau-peausible-haute-protection-a-l-Allantoine-168206

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Any chance you could pick us up a Monsavon and I'll send you payment and postage when you get home?

sure, pm me with details and I'll send you a couple..

daithi

Check ebay, plenty of 100 packs of Feathers for under 25 euro delivered.

Ever have any problem with fake or questionable quality? I see a lot of the sellers are abroad. A buy a lot of stuff from around the world, but the risk : savings ratio mightn't be worth jeopardizing a year's worth of shaves.

Ever have any problem with fake or questionable quality? I see a lot of the sellers are abroad. A buy a lot of stuff from around the world, but the risk : savings ratio mightn't be worth jeopardizing a year's worth of shaves.

I havent heard of any fake Feathers doing the rounds - if anyone else has please advise! (I know there were some fake Gillettes and Iridiums in the past). I've bought from sellers in Thailand and Singapore in the past.
    Another option is:
    http://www.doubleedgeshavingplace.com/product/feather-double-edge-razor-blades-100-blades

Use code: BB101 should come in around USD 27 for 100 blades with shipping. It will fall below the customs threshold as well.

Another option is:
    http://www.doubleedgeshavingplace.com/product/feather-double-edge-razor-blades-100-blades

Use code: BB101 should come in around USD 27 for 100 blades with shipping. It will fall below the customs threshold as well.

Thank you! That works out to €20 and they're a known vendor. It didn't get cheaper than that on eBay from my quick search. That's a great deal. Ordered!

Thank you! That works out to €20 and they're a known vendor. It didn't get cheaper than that on eBay from my quick search. That's a great deal. Ordered!

I also stuck in an order this morn for 100 - no harm in building up the reserve stash. I'll update when arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I also stuck in an order this morn for 100 - no harm in building up the reserve stash. I'll update when arrives.

The reserve stash?

Tell me about it I have about 3 years worth of blades in reserve (of various kinds). Usually when I order shaving equipment (soap, aftershave, Pro Raso, etc...) I nearly always throw in a some blades (because they are so cheap).

Now I am taking a hardline approach to all of my recent DE shaving related orders and not ordering blades!!:)

• Advertisement

I have about 18 months worth of DE blades in reserve and I very very rarely use a DE razor any more.

I have 11 or 12 straight razors that I use everyday now but I still can't bring myself to get rid of the DE blades.

Advertisement