Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

So last week I was asking about Feathers. But this got me to thinking, is there anything better? I asked around and the consensus I got back (other than Personna Lab Blues and Polsilvers) was to check out the Russians. In particular Voskhods and Sputnik blades. There's even Ladas. Anyhow, I thought you guys might be curious to have a look. I just got a sample pack last night.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/balalaikastore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

newkie wrote: »
    So last week I was asking about Feathers. But this got me to thinking, is there anything better? I asked around and the consensus I got back (other than Personna Lab Blues and Polsilvers) was to check out the Russians. In particular Voskhods and Sputnik blades. There's even Ladas. Anyhow, I thought you guys might be curious to have a look. I just got a sample pack last night.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/balalaikastore

I've tried some of those in the past and they werent bad blades, in fact rather good. I know Shaving.ie had them for a while and I stocked up on some Lapas/Ladas and Rapira.

Another to consider is the Gillette Thins Super from Thailand or Vietnam
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-X-Gillette-Super-Thin-Rasierklingen-TOP-/360421254773?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item53eac7e675

I also stuck in an order this morn for 100 - no harm in building up the reserve stash. I'll update when arrives.

Mine arrived today. All present & correct. Excellent value on the feathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Anyone recommend a good shaving soap/cream? Just finished a tub of TOBS Sandalwood, lovely cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

markesmith wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a good shaving soap/cream? Just finished a tub of TOBS Sandalwood, lovely cream.

Truefit & Hill do some good stuff... worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Cyril R Salter creams are really good and generally overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Truefit & Hill do some good stuff... worth a look.

I just got a delivery of their indian limes last week. Haven't opened it yet though, still have about 3 shaves left in my tub of TOBS Extract of limes. Looking forward to trying Truefit though.

Just went with the Truefit & Hills West Indian Limes - Cyril Salter sold out on Shaving.ie. I'll report back on the T&H, but the TOBS Sandalwood worked very well with the Feather blades and Muhle R89 :)

Use it sparingly... it's a really rich cream, a little goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 David K. Woodard

Use it sparingly... it's a really rich cream, a little goes a long way.
    Really Truefit & Hill are very good shaving creams and easily available in the pharmacy and want to say thank you for sharing this information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Wow, Dublin pharmacies sure are fancy.

I've never seen T&H in Galway

Really Truefit & Hill are very good shaving creams and easily available in the pharmacy and want to say thank you for sharing this information.

Not available in 99.9% of pharmacies in Ireland.
    Large Boots stock a very limited range of only the No 10 part of their collection.

newkie wrote: »
    I've never seen T&H in Galway

Apart from the Palmolive (great cheapie option) and the Boots own brand shaving bowl, I've never seen any type of shaving soap/cream on sale in Galway...

If there's a Body Shop in Galway you might be able to pick up some of their Maca Root shave cream.

Superdrug sells Ingram cream as well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If there's a Body Shop in Galway you might be able to pick up some of their Maca Root shave cream.

There is a Body Shop near the Butler's Chocolate shop on William St. I was only there once though, so I can't remember if they have that shave cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

MadsL wrote: »

I couldn't get it to lather properly at all, mind you that's a few years ago maybe they have improved it

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

The old version of it was awful apparently. It was reformulated around March last year so should be good now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I couldn't get it to lather properly at all, mind you that's a few years ago maybe they have improved it

That makes two of us! I've 3/4 of a tube going to waste on the windowsill because it's awful compared to the other soaps/creams I've used.

The Truefit & Hill Lime cream is nice, finding it hard to get a consistent lather with it but maybe I just need to spend more time swirling the brush around the bowl.

Lovely smell though.

• Advertisement

Maybe try face lathering... I prefer this technique with creams myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

okay chaps, just jumping on board to this thread as Im looking at getting a safety razor. I start using the paraso pre shave cream and some Taylor of Old bond cream and they are fantastic products, but im not happy with mach multi blade that im using. I would love some advice on what I razor i should be looking at getting that I hope will last me for years to come.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

okay chaps, just jumping on board to this thread as Im looking at getting a safety razor. I start using the paraso pre shave cream and some Taylor of Old bond cream and they are fantastic products, but im not happy with mach multi blade that im using. I would love some advice on what I razor i should be looking at getting that I hope will last me for years to come.
    cheers

Welcome! Have a look at www.shaving.ie they have a few starter kits for sale there. try getting a starter blade package and a razor such as the muhle r89 or the edwin jagger d89l
    .the 1 thing you'll notice is the weight of a proper razor, when you start shaving first, let the weight of the razor do the work, rather than you pulling at the mach 3 excel or whatever across your face.
    Have a look at mantic59 on youtube, he has a few good instructional videos on DE shaving.

Enjoy!

daithi

Muhle R89 seconded. Badger & Blade forums are great for advice on specific DE razors.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

I started a year ago with the Edwin Jagger DE89 Barley and it's a great little razor with little chance of any nicks. But if you're brave enough to splash out up front I have now tried nine different DE razors and the best by far is the iKon Deluxe Open Comb, that's available from Shaving.ie for €123 once Chris' hols are over.

Pricey I know but I have found it excellent, especially with Personna Super Prep or Iridium Super blades. It may well last you for ever....

:D

And now I'm wondering whether it's worth splashing out €193 on a Feather razor :rolleyes:

The iKon is fine but I have the bug... :p

And I agree that Badger & Blade is a great site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'd also vote for the Muhle R89,beautiful starter razor.
    I started a year ago with the Edwin Jagger DE89 Barley and it's a great little razor with little chance of any nicks. But if you're brave enough to splash out up front I have now tried nine different DE razors and the best by far is the iKon Deluxe Open Comb, that's available from Shaving.ie for €123 once Chris' hols are over.

Pricey I know but I have found it excellent, especially with Personna Super Prep or Iridium Super blades. It may well last you for ever....

:D

And now I'm wondering whether it's worth splashing out €193 on a Feather razor :rolleyes:

The iKon is fine but I have the bug... :p

And I agree that Badger & Blade is a great site.

You're definitely a bargain hunter. ;)

Corkfeen wrote: »
    You're definitely a bargain hunter. ;)

Ah, it's not that expensive once you cut out unnecessary spending on things like food, drink, clothing...

:o

The ikon razors are nice and I picked mine up for a bargain price direct from ikon in Thailand. I've held off on the feather razors as they're rumored to be o n the mild side.

I tend to use my Weber DEs most these days.

http://www.weberrazor.com/portfolio/sample-photos

I tend to use my Weber DEs most these days.

I got a Weber Classic a week ago and have used it a few times. I find it very mild and it needs more passes than the iKon to give me a close shave. Do you find that too?

I will try it with some different blades, but I'm a bit disappointed at the moment.

• Advertisement

I don't like mild razors - I use an R41 every now and again ;)

The two Weber models I have are
    ARC Bulldog handle Weber 3-piece safety razor
    Polished head with Wave handle Weber 3-piece safety razor

I would not describe them as any milder than my ikon but they are smoother.
    For comparison I'd use a Progress on 4 for a similar shave.
    Blade wise I mainly use with a feather or Med prep.

Advertisement