Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

I must be a bit like you - I was using a Muhle R101 when my Weber arrived. Maybe that's why I think it's mild ;)

It was a Med Prep I used in the Weber. I will try a Feather next and see how it feels. I'll admit it seems a lot smoother than most other razors, which I do like. The R101 shaves close but doesn't leave your skin feeling as comfortable. Shaving should be enjoyable rather than some form of endurance test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

cheers for he advice so far guys. Im looking at recommendations for a gift set that i can get my wife to get me for an upcoming birthday and I have seen some sets with razor, brush and a neat little bowl. any recommendations for what the best value one would be for in or around 150 euro?
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

cheers for he advice so far guys. Im looking at recommendations for a gift set that i can get my wife to get me for an upcoming birthday and I have seen some sets with razor, brush and a neat little bowl. any recommendations for what the best value one would be for in or around 150 euro?
    cheers

To be honest, if it were me I would not spend €150 on a set. I'd get either the Basic Essentials or Luxury set from Shaving.ie and get a gift certificate for the difference from them. Then I'd have enough to get used to DE shaving and could start upgrading the various bits and pieces.

Trying new stuff is what makes it fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

My €150 value pack ->

Proraso Pre & Post Shave Cream
    €8.95

50 Blade Premium Selection Sample
    €13.95

Edwin Jagger DE89L
    €29.95

Semogue 2013 Silvertip Badger
    €44.95

Truefitt and Hill No.10 Shave Cream
    €10.95

Proraso Aftershave Balm with Aloe & Vitamin E
    €12.95

Taylor of Old Bond Street No. 74 Victorian Limes Aftershave
    €23.95

OK.. I'm just over by almost €5.. there are places you could save e.g.

I couldn't resist the Semogue silvertip, I have the HD version of this brush and love it... but there are cheaper alternatives to be had e.g. Semogue 2010 Badger.

Replace the sampler blade pack with 50 Astra Superiors at €7.95 (nice blade) and this would bring you back... but you gotta have a lash at all the differentblade types.

Swap out the T&H cream for a cheaper Proraso soap.

Swap out the TOBS Limes for Proraso aftershave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

jpb1974 wrote: »
    My €150 value pack ->

Proraso Pre & Post Shave Cream
    €8.95

50 Blade Premium Selection Sample
    €13.95

Edwin Jagger DE89L
    €29.95

Semogue 2013 Silvertip Badger
    €44.95

Truefitt and Hill No.10 Shave Cream
    €10.95

Proraso Aftershave Balm with Aloe & Vitamin E
    €12.95

Taylor of Old Bond Street No. 74 Victorian Limes Aftershave
    €23.95

OK.. I'm just over by almost €5.. there are places you could save e.g.

I couldn't resist the Semogue silvertip, I have the HD version of this brush and love it... but there are cheaper alternatives to be had e.g. Semogue 2010 Badger.

Replace the sampler blade pack with 50 Astra Superiors at €7.95 (nice blade) and this would bring you back... but you gotta have a lash at all the differentblade types.

Swap out the T&H cream for a cheaper Proraso soap.

Swap out the TOBS Limes for Proraso aftershave.

If you swap out the Semogue brush for the silvertip made for Shaving.ie you will save the €5. The brush made for Shaving.ie does look like it could be a quality brush. 25mm knot and 50 mm loft.

It would however mean waiting until Chris is back from his holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone know of a highstreet chain (shop or supermarket) in england that stock decent DE blades? I tried 2 boots and the only blades they had were own brand, which were woeful.
    I know blades are a person thing, but hoping for a recommendation of a blade that someone has tried at least.
    Don't make me buy a poxy mach 3 (or whatever kids are using these days)

Tesco have their own branded blades.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anyone know of a highstreet chain (shop or supermarket) in england that stock decent DE blades? I tried 2 boots and the only blades they had were own brand, which were woeful.
    I know blades are a person thing, but hoping for a recommendation of a blade that someone has tried at least.

The Wilkinson sword blades available in Dunnes are pretty decent IMO. I bought some recently and they gave a pleasant shave. The Tesco brand blades as previously mentioned are decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I think the Tesco blades are Personnas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Cienciano wrote: »

Why not just buy online? There is a tremendous selection of quality blades available.

• Advertisement

Sorry, just noted you're shopping in England, Superdrug should stock the Wilkinson Sword blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

newkie wrote: »
    Why not just buy online? There is a tremendous selection of quality blades available.

Yeah, it's for when I go to england. Can't bring the blades on a plane. Because terrorists are using blades to kill people on planes :rolleyes:
    Polsilver stainless are my favourites at the moment.

I'll give the tesco ones a go, was wary of own brand after the experience with boots.

You could always post a pack of blades to where you will be staying a few days before you leave. They should get there by the time you do.

Guys, tried the cold shave routine that some posters have been raving about over on badgerandblade. It works well - not sure about the science of it, but it definitely does a job for me. Actually found the prep and lathering to be quite refreshing, and means that I don't have to get the water hot or use bowl lathering. Worth a try!

A cold water shave in winter with a mentholated soap is amazing. It really wakes you up quickly.

I'm liking the cold shaving at the minute, but not sure if it gives the baby smooth skin. Find I get the five o'clock shadow a lot quicker. That's just me though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

markesmith wrote: »
    Guys, tried the cold shave routine that some posters have been raving about over on badgerandblade. It works well - not sure about the science of it, but it definitely does a job for me. Actually found the prep and lathering to be quite refreshing, and means that I don't have to get the water hot or use bowl lathering. Worth a try!

Post a link/copy & paste for those of us too lazy to Google it? :) I've tried cold water shaving a few times and not liked it, but if there's a routine that works I'd give it another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I've always found my skin is far more irritated and it's tougher to get through beard with cold water.

Post a link/copy & paste for those of us too lazy to Google it? :) I've tried cold water shaving a few times and not liked it, but if there's a routine that works I'd give it another go.

Here ya go :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thanks. I'm intrigued by the idea of using ice-cubes between passes! One to experiment with sometime. :)

I'll probably try a regular, old-fashioned cold water shave in the morning and see how it feels.

• Advertisement

Tried it this morning, but didn't have much time so only did a with the grain and against the grain, I normally also do an across the grain. I need to take a bit of time out and do it properly. I like to keep the razor in hot water, but just rinse with cold water between passes.

Seems to do the job nicely though!

Seems to do the job nicely though!

Indeed it does! My face feels great now. Like yourself, I didn't have the time to take care with it. I've a few little red marks, but none of the irritation I'd sometimes get. Prepped with cold water and Proraso pre-shave cream, used their soap and a Feather blade and splashed with Speick aftershave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Transferred the remainder, roughly 100ml, of a Spanish Floïd Vigoroso, to one of those, 'security travel kits' you get at €2 stores.

Works well, the spray is generous with quite coarse droplets, much like the atomizers that come with the large bottles of Italian Floïd.

nvbd.jpg

lhdq.jpg

I'm tempted to try that for Alt Innsbruck. The atomizor they have for their bottles is pretty crap (or at least the one I have is). Hardly sprays the AI at all.

Just to say, again, it's a coarse spray, that suits Floïd. Your mileage may vary, regarding other aftershaves.

I reckon it's worth a shot. *The atomizer on the Alt Innsbruck is like someone who suffers from dry mouth trying to spit at you whilst having having an asthma attack.

*This may be a slight over exaggeration

Some lovely razor handles at:

Main: http://www.pensoftheforest.co.uk

Razor Handles: http://www.pensoftheforest.co.uk/shaving/shaving-razors-dehandles.html

bks9.jpg

e77y.jpg

vo76.jpg

iwb2.jpg

rmza.jpg

Not too keen on the hexagonal bolt though, oh well.

Rod Neep at pensoftheforest makes some great looking brushes too.

1134-kingfisher1-300.jpg

Has anyone here tried an injector razor?

I'm really happy with my straight razors (my DE gets very little use these days) but for some reason I'm getting an urge to try out an injector. I've tried most other safety razors so that probably explains why I want to try out the injector.

For those curious and don't know what an injector razor is, here is a good page of info. Most injectors were made by Schick but there were a couple of other manufacturers.

• Advertisement

Think the Cobra Classic is all the rage at the moment... doesn't come cheap though.

http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/cobra-classic-safety-razor.php

Advertisement