Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

That was one of the razors that kicked off my interest but at that price I'd rather buy a new straight razor. The Cobra also uses the same bades that go into the Feather Shavette instead of injector blades.

I might have to pick up an injector cheaply on Badger&Blade with some injector blades to try out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I've only tried one SE.

I had a loan of an Ever-Ready 1912 for a couple of weeks earlier this year.
    Not a bad razor and you should be able to pick one up for under 20 quid.
    Was on the aggressive side from what I can remember. Blades were available
    from Connaught in UK.

I had that type of SE before. It was an open comb Gem Micromatic.

One of these
    il_570xN.296702305.jpg

It was an aggressive little bugger but shaved quite well when you were careful with it.

An injector is a bit different to them
    normal_injector.jpg

How the blade sit in the razor
    3317710619_21c100f6ec.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I've only tried one SE.

I had a loan of an Ever-Ready 1912 for a couple of weeks earlier this year.
    Not a bad razor and you should be able to pick one up for under 20 quid.
    Was on the aggressive side from what I can remember. Blades were available
    from Connaught in UK.

Just started back to DE shaving a couple of weeks ago with a set from Shaving.ie.

It's been about 40 years since I bought a Wilkinson Sword blade, so it was nice to find an old Gilette which was probably mine from the early Seventies complete with rusty blade.

I also resurrected an Ever Ready 1912 in perfect condition which I'm looking forward to trying out once I get some blades.

Rosahane wrote: »
    Just started back to DE shaving a couple of weeks ago with a set from Shaving.ie.

It's been about 40 years since I bought a Wilkinson Sword blade, so it was nice to find an old Gilette which was probably mine from the early Seventies complete with rusty blade.

I also resurrected an Ever Ready 1912 in perfect condition which I'm looking forward to trying out once I get some blades.

Single edge blades can be had on Connaught Shaving.

• Advertisement

Rosahane wrote: »

Pretty sure these are the blades I used with the 1912.
    http://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Something interesting starters packs on www,4men.ie, both straight and double edged. Apologies for the long link but I'll leave it as it is so people can see where they're being directed to.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=jauye8hab&v=0010ZqHgiR1O6AdDKuWyZXwLrmm5RQ_CD5QtQur0Ntdcxtw9O8DsntKy05iUSz3cY_Gfw4jsRkKhDayAff2HNsgM4_i5Dr8DVDggp9kRhv0zU35vU6TSkPqkSrI-raaHkjk

Link to said items on www.4men.ie

http://www.4men.ie/m/35/men-rock-classic-barber-style-shaving-products

I would be a bit wary of the straight razor starter kit. They make no mention of who makes the razor, dont show any decent pictures of it and dont say if it is shave ready or not.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I would be a bit wary of the straight razor starter kit. They make no mention of who makes the razor, dont show any decent pictures of it and dont say if it is shave ready or not.

Likewise for the rest of their kit. Maybe I missed it but the brush description didn't even clearly state whether boar/badger/synthetic. Who makes the DE razor? Is it suitable for beginners? How aggressive?

I'd recommend the usual brands to someone starting out over these kits.
    Would help identify whether technique or kit to blame when learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Can you lather the Body Shop Macca Root shaving cream with a brush?

..with all this talk of sales and reductions over in Bargain Alerts, I'm keen to give it a try. Having said that, I'm getting 'deja vu' when thinking about it, so I might have used it years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Yup, it's pretty much the same as any other standard shaving cream e.g. TOBS, T&H etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Really liking the Palmolive shaving cream, just squeeze it onto the brush and lather away on the face. Not a bad smell, and at under a euro you can't go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

markesmith wrote: »
    Really liking the Palmolive shaving cream, just squeeze it onto the brush and lather away on the face. Not a bad smell, and at under a euro you can't go wrong!

Yeah, used it last week and it's definitely better than I expected. I think I like the idea of shave cream in a tube after using it.

Try the Palmolive shaving soap (stick type) if you haven't already. Equally as good.
    I reckon we ignore both the cream and the soap because 'they're so cheap and old school they couldn't be good'.
    The Americans pay 7 dollars a tube for the imported cream!

If you happpen to be near a Super Drug store you can get Ingram shave cream in a tube for about €2 I think. That is also pretty good stuff, especially for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm in the market for a new shaving cream. My favourite one was taylors of old bond street bowl. I've tried 2 soaps including mitchells wool fat soap, but I definitely prefer the cream. Part of the reason is because the cream works better in the shaving mug!
    Can anyone recommend a decent cream? I reckon I'll get the Proraso
    Has anyone tried Speick shaving cream? Because their after shave balm is quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

proraso isn't as good as I've heard , I usually switch between two shaving creams the Palmolive as mentioned and a bit more expensive macca root men's shaving cream @ about 13e , might sound expensive but a little goes a long way would easily get 8 months use from it , I use the big roc safety razor , yes its cheap but far from rubbish as some might claim , has a great weight to it and never had one problem using it, my prefared blade are the feather blades , I have tried dorco , astra , Wilkinson , and a couple of others but feathers are by far the best imo , there's less drag and irration .

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm in the market for a new shaving cream. My favourite one was taylors of old bond street bowl. I've tried 2 soaps including mitchells wool fat soap, but I definitely prefer the cream. Part of the reason is because the cream works better in the shaving mug!
    Can anyone recommend a decent cream? I reckon I'll get the Proraso
    Has anyone tried Speick shaving cream? Because their after shave balm is quality

The cream lathers up without any trouble. The whole Speick line is good.

Have a look at Cyril Salter shave creams. They don't get much atteention but are excellent.

Have a look at Cyril Salter shave creams. They don't get much atteention but are excellent.

Cyril Salter have very pleasant scents to choose from. A treat for your nose, as you shave.

If you're going walkies in Sandycove, South County Dublin, there's a Gillette travel razor kit in the window of the Sandycove Vintage & Classics Charity Shop for €12.

The charity shop is at the junction of Albert Road Lower and Sandycove Road, opposite the Charles Fitzerald Pub.

I Don't know if they're open today. Nice staff, nice shop. drop in and have a look.

The razor head is in good condition. There's an identical travel Gillette in the display case beside the stock room inside, for a €5. The head on that has corrosion, but the handle is fine.

qp6z.jpg

t7qq.jpg

• Advertisement

Has anyone here tried an injector razor?

So I got myself an injector (2 in fact) and shaved with one this morning. It gave a wonderfully smooth shave. It feels like a really mild razor but is really easy to use - possibly even easier than a DE. It may even replace my DE razor but I have only had one shave with it - it could very well go all downhill from here.

For someone interested in getting into safety razors an injector may be a great way to get started. They should be pretty cheap purchases on eBay and the baldes can be bought on connaughtshaving.com quite cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Proraso is my favourite, but while I'm saving up for the annual bulk order to shaving.ie I'm using Palmolive. Can't fault it, though admittedly I am also using Proraso per-shave and Trumper's Skin Food afterwards. My local Superdrug in Wexford has Ingram's at €1.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

If you happpen to be near a Super Drug store you can get Ingram shave cream in a tube for about €2 I think. That is also pretty good stuff, especially for the price.

Love to try this Ingrams, which is purported to be the ultimate menthol cream. Didn't even know we had Superdrug in Ireland, must try and find one! I presume they probably have other shaving stuff too?

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Love to try this Ingrams, which is purported to be the ultimate menthol cream. Didn't even know we had Superdrug in Ireland, must try and find one! I presume they probably have other shaving stuff too?

There is more menthol in Proraso, I find. If you start looking outside of the 'big' shave soap/cream companies at stuff made by hobbyists and small artisans you can find really strong menthol.

Queen Charlotte Soaps have a product called Vostok which is packed with menthol. Stirling Soaps also have mentholated soaps which have loads of menthol.

In case people have not seen my thread, and want to try out an injector safety razor, check it out here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057076422

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Is it me, or do the first two look rather aggressive?

You're just being a big girlie man ;)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Heh. Don't get me wrong, I'm tempted...

• Advertisement

Take one for the team.

I actually saw a post on badger and blade about a de razor that costs about 2 dollars. I'll try look for it later on for anyone interested in cheap de razors.

Also, if you're a fan of aggressive razors, you should check out the injector pass around thread....... (shameless attempt at getting more interest in the pass around)

Advertisement