Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Take one for the team.

I actually saw a post on badger and blade about a de razor that costs about 2 dollars. I'll try look for it later on for anyone interested in cheap de razors.

Also, if you're a fan of aggressive razors, you should check out the injector pass around thread....... (shameless attempt at getting more interest in the pass around)

I read the same reviews. The Sodial razor (also called Rimei, so the first link above), is meant to be a lovely razor.

I tried to order it from Amazon about a month ago, but the seller sent me a Junjie razor, with the head all bent. I promptly threw the head in the bin and now have a nice handle for my other 3-piece razors, which only cost €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

You can get this in Boots in the Jervis St shopping centre for about a fiver. Bit aggressive but good for the price. You can also get Yuma razors in some small shop on Camden St, I think it's the Camden Casket, for a similar price. Haven't tried that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭chinwag

Anyone know if Wilkinson Sword DE Razor can be bought simply over the counter anywhere in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

chinwag wrote: »
    Anyone know if Wilkinson Sword DE Razor can be bought simply over the counter anywhere in Dublin?
    The larger Boots should have them.

Michael G wrote: »
    The larger Boots should have them.

AFAIK, you have to buy online and collect in store, E2.50 extra if purchase is not above E25, but I might do that yet. Thanks Michael.

• Advertisement

I picked one up in Trinity Pharmacy on Westland Row a while back. Not sure if they've restocked them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Boots in Liffey Valley had them a couple of weeks ago.

Boots website shows the razor is currently out of stock.

Trinity don't have the razors, only the blades.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Boots website shows the razor is currently out of stock.

Trinity don't have the razors, only the blades.

Thanks all.

Boots in Liffey Valley have about 20 of them on the shelves!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭cena

Rosahane wrote: »
    Boots in Liffey Valley have about 20 of them on the shelves!

Boots in liffey valley seem to the only boots that sells that brand of razor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I started of DE shaving using that plastic boots job. Thought it was alright, but got a proper one for Christmas (Parker 95r), and the difference is astonishing, a much better shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

I'm pretty happy with my new Merkur Progress. It's a great razor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

So didnt I leave my safety razor at home while i was visiting for Christmas. Does anyone know where I would pick up a replacement in Dublin? I don't want an expensive one as I will only leave it in a hotel somewhere. ~10 euro max.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Boots might be your best bet for a cheap one.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

Hi guys,
    Recently converted to DE Shaving and I'm loving every minute so far.A few questions that I'm sure have been asked before but any help would greatly appreciated.
    If this post is in the wrong place please feel free to move or delete.

I'm currently showering ,applying proraso green shaving and using the white proraso pre/post shave afterwards.Is this enough or should I be using a balm as well as the post Shave?
    In the past I've always applied it but with the post shave there doesn't seem to be a need.The second minor question is there any reccomendations for a face scrub of sorts?I was using a nivea aone but would love to know if there is anything similar available from manufacturers like proraso Etc as the stuff I have from proraso smells fantastic and works a treat.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Tom1991 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Recently converted to DE Shaving and I'm loving every minute so far.A few questions that I'm sure have been asked before but any help would greatly appreciated.
    If this post is in the wrong place please feel free to move or delete.

I'm currently showering ,applying proraso green shaving and using the white proraso pre/post shave afterwards.Is this enough or should I be using a balm as well as the post Shave?
    In the past I've always applied it but with the post shave there doesn't seem to be a need.The second minor question is there any reccomendations for a face scrub of sorts?I was using a nivea aone but would love to know if there is anything similar available from manufacturers like proraso Etc as the stuff I have from proraso smells fantastic and works a treat.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tom

Welcome to the DE experience Tom.
    Well your general procedure is spot on anyway.

If you find proraso post shave does the trick for you then you don't need to worry about balm. I religiously use proraso as part of my pre shave routine, but I'd personally never use it for post shave.

I am more of a fan of 1) a limey scent and 2) a more soothing effect post shave - so I tend to use Geo F Trumper's extract of Limes as my post shave. But I have tried plenty of others too.

For me the splash of after shave makes the finishing touch. At the moment I use either Floid blue (amazingly fresh sensation) or Geo's extract of lime to complement the post shave oil.

The great thing (except for maybe your wallet) about DE is the wide choice and variety of products to test both independently and in combination.

I am afraid I don't have any suggestion for you on the face scrub. I don't use it too often and when I do it's the L'oreal men expert range, which again is quite refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Used a Mach 3 for years.
    Learnt to shave with a shavette
    Then moved onto a straight.

Getting an adjustable for those mornings that a straight would take too long.

Any advice for me? Technique etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

tunney wrote: »
    Used a Mach 3 for years.
    Learnt to shave with a shavette
    Then moved onto a straight.

Getting an adjustable for those mornings that a straight would take too long.

Any advice for me? Technique etc

This is a good site......

http://sharpologist.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if there is a consensus on what the best sandalwood shaving cream would be? TOBS, Trumpers, Proraso?

I don't like the smells to be too overpowering, so for me subtle = winner.

Thanks

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if there is a consensus on what the best sandalwood shaving cream would be? TOBS, Trumpers, Proraso?

Thanks

I've only tried the TOBS and that is not a subtle scent. Fairly strong so I wouldn't suggest that - lathers great.

There is also Cyril Salter Sandlewood I think. Haven't tried it but their creams are great.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Yeah, have a few TOBS stuff and subtlety is defo not their game. Will look into that one you mentioned.
    Anyone tried Proraso Red?

I have a tub of the Proraso Red soap. I really like the scent. Nice and subtle, earthy sandalwood scent. Lathers brilliantly too, so I'd definitely recommend it. I don't know about the cream or the other brands though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I liked the TOBS Sandalwood, lovely smell from it.

Definitely recommend LOccitane's 'Cade' shaving cream - a little goes a long way, really nice fragrance, and goes very well with a new Feather blade.

I just love Trumpers Extract of Limes so much that I'm in two minds about getting a stronger scent like sandalwood or sticking with what I know!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Try out a sample pack of creams and some other stuff from Trumpers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I think I may need some help, some pointers.

After using Mach3 for what seems a lifetime I decided to have a look at what the safety razor fuzz is all about.
    So I got myself the latest chrome plated EJ and some recommended soap and stuff and today I had a go for the first time.

With the Mach3 I usually have two gos. One with the grain then one against the grain. Before every turn I lather up either with either foam or with shaving gel and hot water, doesn't really matter. I'm usually not the sensitive skin type and I don't ever tend to have spots or anything, very unproblematic. I'm actually quite happy with my skin and I get as smooth a shave as I want with the Mach3.

But with the DE razor its been a bloody disaster. Not only did I not get as good a shave as I get with the Mach3 (at ease) but its bloody bumps and spots where there weren't any to begin with - I look all over the place. No nicks at least.
    Now the feel of the razor is very different what with weight and handle and maybe its an acquired skill, but overall it feels like that's the end of that particular experiment.

I know the Mach3s are very expensive and cost is of course a factor (although I can afford them its not that), but maybe its just a thing of if it ain't broken don't fix it? Or maybe I'm doing it all wrong? Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

You may be making the same mistake I did when I switched over about five years ago. Mach3 and the like are so light that you have to keep a certain pressure on them or the head will bounce off your face. You will have noticed that your DE razor is much heavier and with most of the weight in the head. So all you need to do (or, more to the point, all you should do) is lay the head against your skin and put little or no pressure on it.

Another possibility is that you are using a blade that doesn't suite you. All blades are different. If you don't find the technique I have just described helpful, I suggest you get a sample pack of mixed blades from http://www.shaving.ie and see which suits you best. I have been using Feathers almost since I started, but it's ultimately a personal choice for every shaver.

I would never go back to Mach3 or Fusion or any of the others. I can't remember when I last had a shaving cut, and the shave is invariably super-smooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

You need to use a proper lather.
    Forget cans of foam/gel.
    Get a shaving brush and a proper shaving cream/soap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Boskowski wrote: »
    I think I may need some help, some pointers.

Watch the first 4 vids in this playlist:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2DB6D82F52BA7608

It was easy for me to make the effort to learn because mach3 never worked so well for me. If cost is no concern, you might be right to stick with what works for you. You can certainly accomplish the same results and better with wet shaving but it will take a little relearning on your part. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Thanks

Just to give a update re this: Got the Proraso Sandalwood (the red one) and I love it. Very subtle scent and the easiest lather I've ever had. Very pleased!

Gonna buy the blue Proraso on the back of this (I've used the original green before but found that the menthol scent was just a bit too much for me)

Advertisement