Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

One more question lads.

I'm using a cereal bowl to make lather. I fill the bowl with hot water and leave the brush in it for a minute, then i empty out the water and put some proraso shaving cream in. The problem is that I can't get all the bubbles out of the lather and when I'm brushing the lather on to my face big chunks of it fall onto my chest.

Does this mean that the brush is too wet beforehand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

It sounds like you have too much water, the lather should be stiffer.
    Try shaking more water from the brush at the start, add the cream then add water a few drops at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Just thought I would post it here, 4men.ie have free delivery on orders for Paddys Day. It's available until midnight tonight - use PADDY at checkout to get it.

I would have poted this sooner but I just got around to checking my emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Picked up some Proraso pre shaving creme to use mainly after a shave as I was a bit sceptical of how it work improve a shave over all. Tried it tonight as a preshave creme after my shower and boy im after getting maybe the best shave ive ever got. Any body else mess around with pre shave lotions and such???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Glebee wrote: »
    Picked up some Proraso pre shaving creme to use mainly after a shave as I was a bit sceptical of how it work improve a shave over all. Tried it tonight as a preshave creme after my shower and boy im after getting maybe the best shave ive ever got. Any body else mess around with pre shave lotions and such???

I've used proraso religiously for my preshave routine for a number of years now. Have never felt the need to use any other preshave instead. Proraso does the job perfectly for me.

I'd tend to experiment more in post shave products tbh. Some I haven't limed, including proraso and some I've thought ok. I tend to keep going back to geo f. Trumper extract of limes skin food

• Advertisement

I rarely feel the need to use a preshave, only use it on the odd occasion when I've several days growth to shave.
    The other Italian preshave creams from 3p and Prep are very similar to the standard Proraso preshave cream.
    (maybe its my imagination but Prep might have slightly more menthol and for no real reason I prefer 3P of the three).
    I find them all too heavy to use as a post shave balm for my skin.

I've also used the Trumper's skin foods but find the best use of Trumpers is to add a dash to your lather for the final finishing pass for a close shave.

Have to admit I like the smell of the Lime skin food but like all citrus scents it doesn't linger long.

I placed a substantial order for Myrsol over the weekend which should arrive this week, am looking forward to seeing how their pre/post emulsion compares to others. I find I'm also getting more into the fresher scents now winter is hopefully over. The only Myrsol I didn't order was their lotions for those using electric razors or fighting grey hair!

I have Myrsol Emulsion, Agua De Limon and Blue. The emulsion I use mainly as a pre shave but it is good as a post save balm also. Not a big fan of the scent however.

The scent of the ADL reminds me of a boiled lemon sweet. I picked up Myrsol Bllue when it looked llike Floid Blue may be discontinued last year. It is different to Floid Blue but very nice in it's own right.

I'm interested to hear what you make of Formula K and the Antesol. Actually after looking at how many different types of Myrsol there are I'm interested to get your opinion on them all! There is the emulsion, blue, AGL, Formula C, Formula K, Formula F/Extra, Antesol, Balsamic Water, Plastic Shave and Metilsol. Thats a crazy amount of different scents.

It's great that you can get them by the litre if you like the scent of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I received my X2 1952 black tip today. Man it's a tiny little thing. And, very light. I'll need to do a few shaves to know if I like it better then The Muhle R89 Grande.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭barrybones_wx

I received my X2 1952 black tip today. Man it's a tiny little thing. And, very light. I'll need to do a few shaves to know if I like it better then The Muhle R89 Grande.

Stupid questions :o alert... how does the blade go on\in? Does it have one on already? surely not...

Stupid questions :o alert... how does the blade go on\in? Does it have one on already? surely not...

It's a TTO razor or, twist to open. You twist the little black bit and it closes and opens the flaps.

• Advertisement

It's a TTO razor or, twist to open. You twist the little black bit and it closes and opens the flaps.

Cool, clever little beast...

newkie wrote: »
    That is a possibility. You're the first person I've seen admit they like Derbys (and that's fine). I definitely like sharp blades. I disliked Feathers in the beginning but despite myself quickly progressed from Astra -> 7 o'clock yellows -> Feathers / Voskhods. Thing is I don't shave every day and have a coarse beard so after a couple of days need something sharp. Just goes to show it's a personal preference thing.

This is why the answer to every "what razor?" post is buy a sampler pack.

Also, try blades again in case your tastes change as your technique evolves.

I just tried the feathers and it wasn't a great shave. A few weepers and a red neck. I must have sensitive skin.
    So what are the milder blades out there for me to try?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I find that Feathers leave me raw after the first shave and then work perfectly for two, especially with hot water. Cold water treats me better.

Out of all the blades I've sampled I'd say Personna Platinum seem to suit me best. Usually for 4 shaves. I'll have to try their Med Prep sometime to compare.

Sliced my finger open pretty badly this morning changing blades... guess it happens to everyone once and then never again? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Ouch, I just cringed a little. Yes, I stupidly dragged my finger across a blade once. This is the problem with handling something potentially dangerous when you're tired, hungover, or distracted.

I find skin glue adhesive (like crazy glue but in a little jar with a brush used instead of a plaster) to be best for cuts and nicks to fingers and other areas that stretch and move a lot. Hope it wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Sliced my finger open pretty badly this morning changing blades... guess it happens to everyone once and then never again? :)

pressed my finger against the blade of a dovo straight to open it more once...........

Got several I told you sos from colleagues when I arrived in work with half a roll of tissue sellotaped to my finger and similar helpful remarks from my GF when she saw it... They don't understand... it's totally worth the odd nick and spurting finger :)

I have yet to manage to cut my fingers with a DE blade. I have managed to do it on three occasions with a straight razor. Two of those happened with the same razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Beginning to see the difference in blades now. After a relatively successful stint of 7 O'Clock ellows, I decided to try another brand from my sample pack. Polisilvers did not match the Gillettes to say the least.

Risteard wrote: »
    Beginning to see the difference in blades now. After a relatively successful stint of 7 O'Clock ellows, I decided to try another brand from my sample pack. Polisilvers did not match the Gillettes to say the least.

Which razor and which Polsilver blade?
    I'm getting great results for the last month with the Polsilver Super iridiums.
    Am alternating between feathers and the PSI blades in mainly a Weber or ikon DE and have found the PSI provide as close a shave as the feathers but find them more durable (unlike feathers only good for me for 2 shaves) and more comfortable. Neither blade will tolerate poor technique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Am alternating between feathers and the PSI blades in mainly a Weber or ikon DE and have found the PSI provide as close a shave as the feathers but find them more durable (unlike feathers only good for me for 2 shaves) and more comfortable. Neither blade will tolerate poor technique.

Twas actually Personna not Polisilver, which I have yet to try. I have some Super Iridiums which I may have a go with next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

That's my experience also.
    I find the Polsilver Super Iridium the best all round blade. Regularly get five or more shaves from one. The Feathers and Persona Med prep are very similar to each other, scary sharp when new but blunt after a couple of shaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

A nice scuttle popped up in a Sandycove (South County Dublin) charity shop a while back.. of course, I passed the shop in the evening and it was gone the day after. Oh well.

640_IMG_20140326_210241.jpg

640_IMG_20140326_210320.jpg

640_IMG_20140326_210330.jpg

Good value at a tenner, would be ideal to use with a nice puck of triple milled hard soap. Seems that shop often has shaving gear available.

A quick search shows the scuttle was made for Crabtree & Evelyn in the early 1980s by a division of Wedgewood.

Go for well over a tenner on eBay http://m.ebay.com/itm/271435573198

I recently used a Gillette Disposable Prep-Razor, in the: Shave Of The Day - Boards Edition thread.

I was dismantling the razor today, for safe disposal of the blade, and to punt the plastic into the recycling bin.

The blade inside is a 'Gillette Super Silver'

Pre_Op_Gillette002.jpg

I noticed, there's scope to convert the razor, with two small nuts and bolts, into something permanent, that can have the blade swapped out at will.

Deft use of a Dremel to drill out the plastc pins and on through the top of the razor head and you're set..

Pre_Op_Gillette001.jpg

(I broke off the handle) The main central pin keeps things seated and the holes for the plastic retaining plugs are recessed underneath, both parts of the razor head 'fit' into each other. Little risk of sideways movement.

I shall report back.. plastic bolts on the way.. (for something entirely unrelated, Raspberry Pi..)

IMG_20140818_164852.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Was watching everyday miracles on bbc and they had a video of the manufacture of de blades. Here's something similar

Nice to see a, 'mainstream' review site, give a nod of approval to a safety razor, no mean feat, considering the heavy backing of commercial multi blades and disposables, on the American market.

The link popped up on http://thewirecutter.com front page, sends web browsers out to http://thesweethome.com.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-razors/

Homepage > Bathroom
    The Best Razors
    May 25, 2013
    The Wirecutter
    Alexander George

For the foreseeable future, I will be shaving my face with a Merkur Safety Razor and double-sided Feather razor blades. This type of razor takes some practice, but once you get it down, no setup can match the price, durability, comfort and overall simplicity of a solid double-edge (DE) safety razor like the Merkur.

---

Neat.

Sorry if this sounds like I've been at the Cooking Sherry.. if you have problem area, like under/around the chin, or elsewhere, a gentle rub with a baby wipe before your shower/bath/shave works wonders, softens stubble/beard and tones up the skin.

This brand in particular. Johnson's Baby Gentle Cleansing.

I was using them as a degreaser/cleanser (the joys of occasional adult acne..) and I noticed the effect on the following shave.

'Euro' stores in Dublin (..and I'm sure outside of Dublin) stock a 56 pack for €1.50.

IMG_20141023_154208x.jpg

---

For the month that's in it..

IMG_20141017_132604x.jpg

• Advertisement

YouTube user mantic59 has posted an interesting review of the, Beluga Razor (prototype), which has its origins on Kickstarter..

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/257125380/the-beluga-razor-a-barber-quality-shaveminus-the-b

Advertisement