Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

Ryath wrote: »
    The nivea is very nice all right and an even better bargain at €4 in supervalue at the minute.

The Nivea balms are usually only €3 in Penneys and I don't think this was a special offer either as I've seen them a couple of times at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

i'm using these super cheap plastic wilkinson sword DE shavers that come with 5 blades. i'm super super happy with it, but i was thinking of going fancy. is there a trustworthy irish onlineshop that offers nice shavers?

and yes, so far i can say that these nivea shaving balms that come in these glass bottles are really good. bought a tube of bulldog once... big mistake, strange smell and behaves awkward on the face

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Ryath

murfilein wrote: »
    is there a trustworthy irish onlineshop that offers nice shavers?

http://www.shaving.ie/products/edwin-jagger-de89l.html

Comes highly recommended the store and razor. Get your self a brush and some proraso soap it makes the experience so much better and more enjoyable than a spray can of gunk.

Currently going mad trying to decide on second DE I need to get this order done.

Ryath wrote: »
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/edwin-jagger-de89l.html

Comes highly recommended the store and razor. Get your self a brush and some proraso soap it makes the experience so much better and more enjoyable than a spray can of gunk.

thanks for the link!

hm i'm kinda not too much into brushes and soaps... currently using king of shaves alphagel which i really like. whats nice is that its full of aloe vera. you cut yourself while shaving, and when you're finished, the bleeding already stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

It's fear of this sort of thing that has my barely-used straight untouched in the drawer for the last two years http://http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fashion-and-style/11477964/A-close-shave-my-cut-throat-razor-disaster.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Ignore that article. From the very quick skim read I did of it, the author seems like he just wasn't cautious enough and didn't learn from mistakes. I mean these 3 points are bollocks
    1) You must only move the blade in a straight vertical motion. If you draw a sloppy s-line you will bleed. 2) If you deviate from a 30 degree angle on the blade you will bleed. 3) If the blade pauses on your face – if you stop and do not lift it away – you will need to ring the blood bank and ask if they’ve got your type in. Immediately.

1) Just dont go parallel to the edge and you should be fine if using a light touch. Yes a 'sloppy s-line' will make you bleed but there is no need to do this when shaving, even with a cartridge.
    2) 30 degree angle isn't great for straight razor. A much shallower angle is better - almost resting against the skin gives great results.
    3) Use no pressure, as you should with a straight razor, and you'll be fine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Michael G wrote: »
    It's fear of this sort of thing that has my barely-used straight untouched in the drawer for the last two years http://http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fashion-and-style/11477964/A-close-shave-my-cut-throat-razor-disaster.html

In fairness, I don't think you're supposed to take that article seriously!
    As such there is no tedious sharpening on a long leather strop, which, let’s face it, is only one short step away from driving around in van collecting up hitchhikers and not putting them back.
    Look at old photographs of hard working men like Charles Dickens or even Abe Lincoln and you'll notice that the only sections of the face they bothered to shave were those that could be done quickly with a straight razor – the cheeks and the upper lip. Chins? Don’t bother.

:D

There are unexpected treasures to be found in what we used to call Pound Shops, and in other unexpected places. I found Erasmic cream in Choice in Drogheda for €1.99. Lovely thick creamy lather. I'm going back to buy as many tubes as I can find. In a pharmacy in Wexford I found Nivea cream for €1.55 ― also great value.

However in Superdrug in Wexford I found some Ingrams (€1.99) which was a big disappointment. Ingrams was one of my favourites about twenty years ago, when it was widely available, but I think this stuff must have been long past its best-before date; it had a watery consistency and trickled out of the tube into the bowl. Still a passable shave though.

There are unexpected treasures to be found in what we used to call Pound Shops, and in other unexpected places. I found Erasmic cream in Choice in Drogheda for €1.99. Lovely thick creamy lather. I'm going back to buy as many tubes as I can find. In a pharmacy in Wexford I found Nivea cream for €1.55 ― also great value.

However in Superdrug in Wexford I found some Ingrams (€1.99) which was a big disappointment. Ingrams was one of my favourites about twenty years ago, when it was widely available, but I think this stuff must have been long past its best-before date; it had a watery consistency and trickled out of the tube into the bowl. Still a passable shave though.

I've used Ingrams from Superdrug and for thr most part it was fine. If it is left unused for a while the cream and liquid in it do seen to seperate for some reason, like you experienced.

When I found this happening I would give the closed tube a bit of a massage to mix the two parts back together. Always gave a decent lather but nothing exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

Most if not all of the Nivea for Men range is half price in Tesco at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Speaking of shaving creams/soaps, does anyone know where the Palmolive shaving stick can be got? None of the Tescos near me have it and it's even disappeared from their online shop.

SuperDrug if there is one near you. My local Tesco didn't have them for months but have them in stock now. They are on the same shelf as all of the travel deodorant and the likes and not near the shaving supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Read here or some other forum that Palmolive shave stick being discontinued, hence no longer in Tesco's. I think many took opportunity to stock up, myself included. Personally, I much prefer Arko, wish it was more widely available.

Only the UK Palmolive line has been stopped. It is still being produced on the continent and it should be easy to get from online retailers.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Most if not all of the Nivea for Men range is half price in Tesco at the moment.
    I was in my local Tesco this evening and saw it. No shaving cream though.

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Read here or some other forum that Palmolive shave stick being discontinued, hence no longer in Tesco's. I think many took opportunity to stock up, myself included. Personally, I much prefer Arko, wish it was more widely available.
    I was going abroad recently and bought a Boot's shave stick to avoid the airport security nonsense. In the end I never needed it. Is it any good, or should I just throw it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I was going abroad recently and bought a Boot's shave stick to avoid the airport security nonsense. In the end I never needed it. Is it any good, or should I just throw it out?
    Been a while since I used the Boots stick. From memory found it average. Nothing special or exceptional but functional. Keep the plastic container at least for Palmolive or others that don't come with one.

I used to find the Prorasso soap tubs handy for travel. No need for lather bowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

How did you get around the blades problem?

I brought a couple of those horrible disposable things with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I brought a couple of those horrible disposable things with me.

Gillette Sensor variant is my 'hand luggage' only razor unless I know I can easily pick up DE blades on arrival. Have heard of people posting blades to hotel in advance so they can collect upon arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

lizzyman wrote: »
    How did you get around the blades problem?

I'm in San Diego at the moment and I'v seen them for sale in the local pharmacy's. But, I'm using tryablade.com and having them sent to my sisters house here. Gone a bit crazy buying shaving sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

If you were headed to the states and you're bags are checked I don't think blades are a problem. More an issue for european ryanair style travel with only carry ons.

Also with checked baggage I believe alcohol (<= 1 litre) is permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Looking to get started with a DE razor, wondering have I got all I need here or does anyone have some recommendations for me?

Muhle R89 Razor
    Taylor of Old Bond Cream
    Proraso Cream
    Simpsons Cream
    Sample Blade Set
    Brush
    Brush stand
    Soap Bowl

Not sure if I've too much, or not enough. Went for three creams so I could try them all out in conjuction with the blades. Thanks for any replies given.

Looking to get started with a DE razor, wondering have I got all I need here or does anyone have some recommendations for me?

Muhle R89 Razor
    Taylor of Old Bond Cream
    Proraso Cream
    Simpsons Cream
    Sample Blade Set
    Brush
    Brush stand
    Soap Bowl

Not sure if I've too much, or not enough. Went for three creams so I could try them all out in conjuction with the blades. Thanks for any replies given.

Dude, seriously.

I have: de shaver. Blades. Shaving gel. After shave lotion.

That's all you need. Everything on top of that is "nice to have", but not essential. In my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Ryath

murfilein wrote: »
    Dude, seriously.

I have: de shaver. Blades. Shaving gel. After shave lotion.

That's all you need. Everything on top of that is "nice to have", but not essential. In my opinion anyway.

I'd disagree about the shaving gel. A brush and a nice soap or cream are one of the essentials. Yes you don't need loads of stuff a Muhle R89, brush, a tube of palmolive cream and nivea aftershave balm are all I would need but having a selection of soaps and creams is one of the pleasures of wet shaving.

Digital Solitude I'd maybe instead of getting all creams I'd get a soap bowl or shave stick. I really like proraso green soap bowl would be my go to option. The bowl you have linked to is for holding a puck of soap not for lathering. I face lather so can't make a recommendation for a bowl or mug.

I would add a styptic pen or alum block to your order. You will nick yourself or get little weepers learning. They work brilliantly literally stop the bleeding instantly.

Be careful though it's a slippery slope I'm only wet shaving a year and already probably have enough soaps and creams to do me 5! Along with two brushes and a spare EJ R89 as back up to my muhle, next purchase will probably be a stainless steel DE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

This is my Christmas gift so I'm not too fussed about a few Euro on the niceties. Will drop the creams and bowl then, thanks :)

There's a lot of stuff to look into :eek: Think I prefer computers...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Got my first safety razor today - a Wilkinson Sword with 5 blades bought in Boots for 6.99. I've been using Mach 3 and similar type razors for over 20 years since I started wet shaving at age 15.

My first experience with the safety is pretty positive. No irritation or cuts and the shave was as smooth if not smoother than a new Mach 3 blade. However it took a lot longer with the safety as I needed far more passes before i was happy with the smoothness

I'm going to give it a go anyway as the cost of Mach 3 blades really pisses me off. They do give a good shave but are are so expensive that i try to get several shaves out of one and even on the 2nd shave I notice that I'm getting a worse shave than with a fresh blade. With the safety razor the blades are so cheap that using a new blade for each shave is not a big deal.

The cheap Wilkinson Sword handle seems fine to me - I can't imagine that one the fancier handles which are several multiples of the price are that much better? However I am going to try more expensive Feather and maybe some other brand blades with the cheap handle to see if they reduce the number of passes I need.

Gordon wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't have a beard or hat, can I still post a question?!

I was reading this thread about razor prices and some helpful chappie mentioned good proper safety razors like Merkurs.

180px-Merkur_heavy_duty_safety_razor.jpg

Does anyone here use one of these? I use the 3/4 blade razors and am fed up with paying the exorbitant costs of them and am wondering if I should invest in a proper razor like this. Is it a scratchy shave with one of these things? Do you need to change the blade every day or so? How good is the shave compared to a 3/4 blade Gillette type thing?

ta

It's not scratchy when you do it right. You need to get the right angle and not apply too much pressure.

I change the blades of these things every 3-4 months. Then again I shave maybe every 1 to 1.5 weeks. I think the "best" I had was 6 months on a blade. Never bled while shaving, so I guess I could have used the blade even longer. It was shaving just fine, although when you use a new blade after such a long time you really notice the difference. The point is it was still shaving just fine :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

You'll get much faster with it as with anything it becomes second nature after a while.

Besides just a handle is the head which is going to determine the angle of the blade. Some heads are more aggressive than others, but any can be learnt and used to good effect.

Advertisement