Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've used my 6.99 Wilkinson Sword DE every day since Saturday and and am on my second blade. The shave takes a long time and I have nicked myself once or twice - however I'm getting the smoothest and least irritating shave that I've ever got. I think the Mach 3 cartridge razor that I've used up to now is more of a blunt (LOL) instrument that encourages a haphazard shaving style - while the safety encourages and rewards a more careful style. Also, after 20 years shaving I have only now discovered that the hair on certain parts of my face is growing in a different direction than I thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Same story for most of us! I was shaving wrong for 20+ years too. Don't be shy about changing your blade. I change mind after 2 or 3 uses. Also some blades betters suit different razors (down to the head of the razor again). Sampler packs are cheap so it's a no brainer to experiment with.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

I change mind after 2 or 3 uses.

wow, thats a lot of blades (for me). but i guess it depends on your skin. i can get away with 15 to 20 shaves on a blade, i'd say. i never cut myself, i just notice that its getting harder to cut through the hair, thats when i change it. i an totally see how a person with sensitive skin could have issues using a blade thats been used so often.

murfilein wrote: »
    wow, thats a lot of blades (for me). but i guess it depends on your skin. i can get away with 15 to 20 shaves on a blade, i'd say. i never cut myself, i just notice that its getting harder to cut through the hair, thats when i change it. i an totally see how a person with sensitive skin could have issues using a blade thats been used so often.

Coarse hair, sensitive skin, so a sharp blade makes all the difference. I'm probably being a tad wasteful by a shave or two but I wouldn't dream of trying to squeeze as many shaves on a single blade as that! When you can get 100 blades for €15 you can afford to go nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Coarse hair, sensitive skin, so a sharp blade makes all the difference. I'm probably being a tad wasteful by a shave or two but I wouldn't dream of trying to squeeze as many shaves on a single blade as that! When you can get 100 blades for €15 you can afford to go nuts.

Depends on the brand alot too I find. 3-4 the average, some dull after two, some last 6.

I can only imagine the pulling and tucking after 15-20 shaves with a blade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I got some Tesco blades (made in Israel) which are apparently Personnas and get good reviews. Now it may be my imagination but they seem more "draggy" than the Wilkinson Sword blades. However I'm still very much a novice at this and there are lots of variable involved so hard to say.

My beard hair is very coarse but not very dense in terms of number of hairs/area.

I'm still needing loads of passes in a few different directions to get the shave I want - hopefully the Feather blades that I plan to order soon will help with this.

Try out a sampler pack. Finding the right blade for your razor and your beard makes all the difference.

Feather blades are very sharp which is why they are usually recommended only once you've honed your technique. I found them great on my first razor but they don't work well on the razors I use now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I got some Tesco blades (made in Israel) which are apparently Personnas and get good reviews. Now it may be my imagination but they seem more "draggy" than the Wilkinson Sword blades. However I'm still very much a novice at this and there are lots of variable involved so hard to say.

My beard hair is very coarse but not very dense in terms of number of hairs/area.

I'm still needing loads of passes in a few different directions to get the shave I want - hopefully the Feather blades that I plan to order soon will help with this.
    I found the same. Tesco/boots were crap despite great reviews (went through a few packs of each), Wilkinson's were way better. I like the Gillettes, feathers and derbys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've Merkel 34c and love the Astras and Feathers. Didn't like the Derby or Gilette 5Oclock at all. Personna was great as a starting blade but the harder blades are better. Just bought a years supply of Astra. 50 blades for less than 8 euro. A third of the price of the Feathers.

I've a slow growth and soft hair so 2-3 shaves a week is enough. Only use a blade a max of three times. When i manscape though it's always with a fresh blade - don't want nicks or tugs down there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Orion wrote: »
    I've Merkel 34c and love the Astras and Feathers. Didn't like the Derby or Gilette 5Oclock at all. Personna was great as a starting blade but the harder blades are better. Just bought a years supply of Astra. 50 blades for less than 8 euro. A third of the price of the Feathers.

I've a slow growth and soft hair so 2-3 shaves a week is enough. Only use a blade a max of three times. When i manscape though it's always with a fresh blade - don't want nicks or tugs down there :(

Yeah Astra is the one for me. Can breeze around my face with a few passes, anything else feels wrong and always nicks me.

I have two packs of Russian blades that I got from ebay, after the Ruble incident last year(think it was recommended as a BA here) Unfortunately the blades are absolutely dirt for me.

Must actually get around to giving them away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Lads can anyone recommend a travel kit for DE shaving? I see Proraso do one but it seems to be out of stock on the conventional sites (and for silly postage money on ebay). I have a lot of overnight travel with work and am thinking it'd be nice at this stage to have a small DE travel kit i.e. a small cream, brush, post shave, in a nice case - I could bring my own razor. Not looking to spend huge money.

I have a tiny 1920 Gillette travel razor but tbh these days I bring along a spare Rocket HD along with a small tin of soap and a spare brush in my wash bag. They're so small it's not really necessary to get a smaller razor.

As for the brush I use one of these (mine is clear and I drilled a few holes in it for vents): http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-shaving-brush-travel-tube.html

This is the wash bag I got which I think is just fantastic with all it's zips and pockets: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003WBL1PC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I would say get a synthetic brush for using in a travel kit. They seem to dry out much quicker than boar or badger.

I'd take a shave stick of some sort too to save on space. Palmolive from tesco/superdrug would do nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Curious if anyone has ever tried the Gilette Blue II disposables? Picked up a pack last night at the chemists for laugh and actually had a damn good shave with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I used Blue II for years, I found it difficult to find fixed head dual blade disposables at one point, so, I used them exclusively.

I gave up disposables, I was fed up, 'tapping out' my wire like stubble and the razor itself was causing irritation on my neckline.

*cough* There's a disposable razor thread here somewhere.. ;)

SeaFields wrote: »
    Lads can anyone recommend a travel kit for DE shaving?.

Just to say, don't overlook a razor head cover, in addition to a pouch etc.. to protect you and the razor.

I bought a MÜHLE blade guard from shaving.ie a few years back and it is perfect for the task. Firm grip on the razor without any risk of damage or abrasion. Slides off with some, slick, resistance.

It should fit any safety razor head.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-razor-blade-guard.html

razorguardmuhle.jpg

Well lads, as usual from not wanting to spend a lot, I ended up spending more than I intended on a DIY travel kit.

I must add a few more bits to it (including a razor) but I bought the following:

Leather/ Canvas shaving bag

Quality seems to be very good. The only negative reviews it seems to get are those from people who think it is a conventional bag. It isn't huge but it can accommodate a fair amount with a bit of forethought. The leather smell is gorgeous.

Shave brush

This brush creates a nice lather. Feels a bit stiffer than my badger brush but does the job very nicely.

Added to the above an alum block and tube a palmolive cream, threw in a few packets of astras and its a nice collection to have 'on the go'.

The bag seems a bit overkill but very nice all the same. I'd be suspicious of a brush that doesn't tell you what it's made of. It does say natural hair so from the look of it and you saying it's stiffer than badger means it's probably boar. I have a boar brush myself as well as as silvertip badger. I like both. Generally use the boar brush when I've left it three or four days so want a good lift on the beard. Also use it travelling - probably just in my head but I think the stiffer hair means it's more resilient to being put in a travel bag.

Heads up on boar - it needs soaking a little longer than badger. Boar is hollow bristle so it needs to soak it up inside it where badger traps the water between the hairs so doesn't need as long a soak. That said if you soak either while you're showering that's plenty.

Orion wrote: »
    The bag seems a bit overkill but very nice all the same.

I'm happy out with it. I have other wash bags mostly from Christmas present toiletry sets but this one has a far superior quality to it. I was traveling with it this week and it accommodated everything I needed for shaving and deodorant, electric toothbrush, medicated shampoo and shower gel.

Yes, I normally leave everything sitting in hot water while showering anyway after seeing it in a shaving youtube video. I have a little wooden bowl at home that I put cream into and it floats on the hot water while I shower to heat it. I think it makes it a better shave but it could be in my head! There is some speculation in the amazon comments about what hair is on the brush. It did the job anyway for me whatever it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

SeaFields wrote: »
    Well lads, as usual from not wanting to spend a lot, I ended up spending more than I intended on a DIY travel kit.

I must add a few more bits to it (including a razor) but I bought the following:

Leather/ Canvas shaving bag

Quality seems to be very good. The only negative reviews it seems to get are those from people who think it is a conventional bag. It isn't huge but it can accommodate a fair amount with a bit of forethought. The leather smell is gorgeous.

Shave brush

This brush creates a nice lather. Feels a bit stiffer than my badger brush but does the job very nicely.

Added to the above an alum block and tube a palmolive cream, threw in a few packets of astras and its a nice collection to have 'on the go'.

Please tell me you didn't pay $54 for that brush. It isn't worth $5.

• Advertisement

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Please tell me you didn't pay $54 for that brush. It isn't worth $5.

Ok I will. I didn't! It was a fiver sterling. Where are you seeing 54? :eek:

Phew... I was worried you'd been mugged. When I clicked on the link, it took me to the .COM site and showed me this priced at $54.08 ->

25820714001_995d56237a.jpg

Even at £5 its a push ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads I've been using an Edwin Jagger DE89 for about three years now. It was recommended to me as a good started razor. I'm just wondering if at this point I should upgrade now. I've been recommended the Parker 24C, Merkur 39C, Muhle R41. Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

What would be the reason to upgrade? I've a Muhle R89 twist and love it.

(genuine question, what's the advantage of an upgrade)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

bren2002 wrote: »
    What would be the reason to upgrade? I've a Muhle R89 twist and love it.

(genuine question, what's the advantage of an upgrade)

From what I've read it seems that the beginner razors have a bit more coverage on them, which is safer for beginners but also leads to a less close shave. I could be wrong though.

Upgrades don't really matter... I started with low-mid priced razors, went to the mid-high priced razors, and end up back at the lower end.

Currently using an Edwin Jagger head on a Windrose H-7 stainless steel handle (ebay.co.uk) and it's a beaut. Prior to this I had been using a rather expensive ATT razor, also tried a few Ikons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Is the closeness not a measure of open comb v closed comb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

From my understanding, an open comb will allow you to remove more hair per pass. You should be able to get just as close a shave with either.

• Advertisement

hitemfrank wrote: »
    From my understanding, an open comb will allow you to remove more hair per pass. You should be able to get just as close a shave with either.

I think that used to be the case but not anymore. Technology has improved so that the difference between open and closed comb is pretty much cosmetic.

Advertisement