Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, the Greens. I'll try another one in a few days.

My Adams Apple doesn't really stick out too much either but I'm kinda cagey around it.....same around the jaw. Haven't nicked there yet but just wary as it's not a straight line like the cheeks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I don't think it's a matter of technique. Blades actually do vary; no doubt there is a reason but I don't know what it is. I'm at this for ten years now and there are blades that just don't work for me. Muhle for example ⎯ I find they drag like a blade that has been used three or four times already. I use Feathers and have done almost since I started. They are not at all aggressive, contrary to what some people say, and I get a perfect shave with the lightest touch - which is important for me because I have sensitive skin. But I have also found Tesco's own brand good; I think they are made in Israel by the company that makes Personna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Conversely I don't like the Gilettes but do like Muhle blades. Still prefer Astra and Feather. Everyone has a different face - try plenty of different blades and see what suits you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Different blades work for different faces... and razors. I used Feathers in my EJ89 but when I went to vintage Gillette razors I found they didn't work well.

Always a good idea to get a sampler and give them all a fair shake. Then you can get cheap 100 packs online.

Don't discount the Russian blades, I found Voskhod to be even better than Feathers.

The starter pack that I have had a good few different types actually. Polsilver, Gillette, Astra and Feather. Might be one other box too I think. A Muhle came with the razor as well. 5 in each pack so plenty to experiment with.

• Advertisement

Don't discount the Russian blades, I found Voskhod to be even better than Feathers.

I've heard that too. Going to give them a try next time I'm buying. Have enough blades at the moment to keep me going for a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Orion wrote: »
    I've heard that too. Going to give them a try next time I'm buying. Have enough blades at the moment to keep me going for a while though.

I love the Voskhods

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

tunney wrote:
    I love the Voskhods

I just had a lovely shave with one earlier.

Just ordered 100 Voskhod's on ebay. €14 delivered - can't really go wrong. 50 for me and 50 for a mate. Looking forward to trying them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Just ordered 100 Voskhod's on ebay. €14 delivered - can't really go wrong. 50 for me and 50 for a mate. Looking forward to trying them out.

I found that they need to be binned after two shaves but those two shaves were lovely.

• Advertisement

I've completely revised my opinion on the Gillette 7 o'clock yellow. Must have been my newbie technique a week ago. Tried another one 3 days ago and it's working out great. First pass seems 'loud' but the second and third pass are silky smooth. No nick's or anything and it's had three shaves now.

tunney wrote: »
    I found that they need to be binned after two shaves but those two shaves were lovely.

I found the same with Feathers. I think the sharper they are, the quicker they die. I never bother coaxing more than 2-3 shaves from any blade. They're so cheap, why bother?

Those feathers just don't work well for me at all for some reason. Been using the 7 o'clocks for a few days and going great. Tried another feather this evening and it was really bad. After 3 passes I was still quite stubbly and it dragged quite a bit. Threw in another 7 o'clock and it was smooth as silk, albeit after already 3 passes from the Feather. Think I'm getting sold on buying another couple of packs of 7 o'clocks. They seem to agree with me better than the feathers. Using TOBS sandalwood shaving cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I got like 400 Rapira blades for less than €24 delivered on eBay when the Russian rouble tanked a while back ( it is still pretty bad though)

I think they are fantastic. I have used a fair amount and they are all consistently sharp ( unlike Derbys with constant blunt ones). I only tidy up neck and face line every few days. But I can go a few weeks using the same blade and they are still sharp

I think Rapira is a P&G sister company

Cortecs wrote: »
    Those feathers just don't work well for me at all for some reason. Been using the 7 o'clocks for a few days and going great. Tried another feather this evening and it was really bad. After 3 passes I was still quite stubbly and it dragged quite a bit. Threw in another 7 o'clock and it was smooth as silk, albeit after already 3 passes from the Feather. Think I'm getting sold on buying another couple of packs of 7 o'clocks. They seem to agree with me better than the feathers. Using TOBS sandalwood shaving cream.

As with any blade ymmv. I don't like the 7 o'clocks at all. But love the feathers. That said I've never heard anyone complain about the closeness of the shave with the feathers. They are very unforgiving so it could be how you're shaving. The TOBS cream is fine so it's not that anyway.

btw - if you like tobs try GFT - it knocks tobs out of the water.

Probably is my technique.....still only a noob with 2 weeks under my belt. I'd say it'll be another 2 months before I'm dialled in a little better. Not nicking myself much is the only good thing :-)

Probably is my technique.....still only a noob with 2 weeks under my belt. I'd say it'll be another 2 months before I'm dialled in a little better. Not nicking myself much is the only good thing :-)

Possibly. But it could be that they just don't suit your face as well. Refine your technique with the gilettes and maybe try them again in a month or two.

There are some great videos on youtube and instructions at Gentleman's Gazette which might help hone your technique.

Some great tutorials and other information at The Shave Den forums too. Sound group of people there.

So, around a month in. Three weeks of convincing myself to stick with it despite irritation, nicks and not very close shaves....

Finally though, I'm starting to hone in and get a really close shave with no irritation, no nicks and relatively quickly too.

Not sure what exactly changed but my technique is much better and I also got some pre post shave cream from proraso and proraso shaving cream. Both red. My lather is pretty consistent now and I can't be sure whether it's proraso or just my technique but things are going very well. Maybe a combination of both. Maybe the pre shave cream. That stuff works very well after the shave too.

The first pass is still a little bit 'scratchy' but the other 2 passes are smooth as silk.

Still a noob but very happy that I stook with it :-)

Edit: Just adding that my neck is no longer irritated and I've no ingrown hairs going on there. Skin in general is much 'softer' after shaving too. Maybe the cold rinse after shaving that I do every time now and never did before helps too?

I do think maybe the TOBS cream was adding a little irritation to me as well. It tingled my neck. Pity though as I loved the scent. Need to try it again to verify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

So, around a month in. Three weeks of convincing myself to stick with it despite irritation, nicks and not very close shaves....

Finally though, I'm starting to hone in and get a really close shave with no irritation, no nicks and relatively quickly too.

Not sure what exactly changed but my technique is much better and I also got some pre post shave cream from proraso and proraso shaving cream. Both red. My lather is pretty consistent now and I can't be sure whether it's proraso or just my technique but things are going very well. Maybe a combination of both. Maybe the pre shave cream. That stuff works very well after the shave too.

The first pass is still a little bit 'scratchy' but the other 2 passes are smooth as silk.

Edit: Just adding that my neck is no longer irritated and I've no ingrown hairs going on there. Skin in general is much 'softer' after shaving too. Maybe the cold rinse after shaving that I do every time now and never did before helps too?

I do think maybe the TOBS cream was adding a little irritation to me as well. It tingled my neck. Pity though as I loved the scent. Need to try it again to verify.

Yep all about practice. I must have nicked my face about 10 times when I first started out. Now I get through it fairly quickly and closely and barely feel anything when the alum block goes on.

Still never go ATG on the neck though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

That's fantastic man. I've been doing this for 2 years now and getting a close shave without irritation is still rare for me, so fair play!

• Advertisement

The red proraso preshave is excellent. I always use it. The shea butter makes for a great glide.

Always cold rinse - it closes the pores. My post shave routine is alun block, clod rinse then a splash lotion. Old Spice or Speikh are my favourites.

Fakman87 wrote: »
    That's fantastic man. I've been doing this for 2 years now and getting a close shave without irritation is still rare for me, so fair play!

Ha, yeah, had plenty of it going on for the first 3 weeks or so though....splashing aftershave was like Macaulley Culkin in Home Alone..... as orion said, I think the pre post shave might be helping me quite a lot I think. Using polsilver and Gillette 7 o'clock yellows which are mellower than the feathers too I think? I'd probably be irritated as hell again of I tried another feather!

I'm just going with the grain too. I'd probably rip myself to shreds going against the grain or even across the grain so happy to just keep doing what I'm doing for the moment.

Polsilver and Gilette are softer than Feathers. But give it another while for your technique to bed in and try the Feathers again. You'll notice the difference in the shave.

Best routine is WTG, WTG, XTG (optional) and then ATG. The against the grain final pass gives you that BBS (Baby Butt Smooth) feeling. With two WTG passes you're reducing the chance of ingrown hairs to practically zero. Just remember don't put any pressure on the razor in any pass - let the weight of the razor do the work - that should reduce irritation and razor burn.

Ha, yeah, had plenty of it going on for the first 3 weeks or so though....splashing aftershave was like Macaulley Culkin in Home Alone..... as orion said, I think the pre post shave might be helping me quite a lot I think. Using polsilver and Gillette 7 o'clock yellows which are mellower than the feathers too I think? I'd probably be irritated as hell again of I tried another feather!

I'm just going with the grain too. I'd probably rip myself to shreds going against the grain or even across the grain so happy to just keep doing what I'm doing for the moment.

I was only free of irritation once after an ATG pass but I keep trying for that elusive second! :P
    Polsilver and Gilette are softer than Feathers. But give it another while for your technique to bed in and try the Feathers again. You'll notice the difference in the shave.

Best routine is WTG, WTG, XTG (optional) and then ATG. The against the grain final pass gives you that BBS (Baby Butt Smooth) feeling. With two WTG passes you're reducing the chance of ingrown hairs to practically zero. Just remember don't put any pressure on the razor in any pass - let the weight of the razor do the work - that should reduce irritation and razor burn.

That's great advice, thanks. I'll try two WTG passes as I do still get some small ingrowns at the bottom of my neck, however they are nothing compared to the ones I would get from a multiblade.

One thing I 'think' I notice is largely heavier stubble after around 12 hours growth? Not sure if it's real or not but it does appear heavier than what I'd have had with a Mach3 after the same period.

Definitely seems like a closer shave with DE razor for a couple of hours after shaving but it seems to come back heavier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

One thing I 'think' I notice is largely heavier stubble after around 12 hours growth? Not sure if it's real or not but it does appear heavier than what I'd have had with a Mach3 after the same period.

Definitely seems like a closer shave with DE razor for a couple of hours after shaving but it seems to come back heavier?

Remember watching a video on YouTube about this.

It's due to the fact that the single razor reduces the beard and cuts the hair cleanly off.

The mach 3 or similar multiple blade razors have the effect of almost ripping the hair out including what's underneath the skin.

Risteard wrote: »
    The mach 3 or similar multiple blade razors have the effect of almost ripping the hair out including what's underneath the skin.

Yep, and that's the main cause of ingrown hairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

A few months ago I spotted a Wilkinson Sword shave soap and synthetic brush in Tesco and thought I'd give it a go instead of the usual canned foam that I have been using for thirty years. I started to really enjoy the routine of lathering up and, after finding this forum, took the next step and ordered a DE89L razor, Badger brush and Proraso Green shaving cream from shaving.ie last week. I also got a sample set of blades to try out and so far have used a Personna, Gilette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge and Derby blades, with mixed results. I think the SharpEdge is the better one so far but it's early days. I still have some Feathers, Astras and 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (are these any different from the SharpEdge?) left to test.
    At the time of ordering, I didn't think I would need a pre or post shave cream or balm but, after a week of this system, I now think I may. I have never been one for aftershave, nor did I ever consider men's moisturising products before so I'm unsure what to get.
    Now that I have taken the plunge into this other world of shaving and the variety of products that come with it, I'm debating whether to go the whole hog and get some different pre and post shave products or whether to get something like the Proraso Pre Post cream that can be used as both, or whether it's even necessary to get anything at all. Maybe I should wait another while until I have tested all the blades in the sample set?
    Any advice is welcome!

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    A few months ago I spotted a Wilkinson Sword shave soap and synthetic brush in Tesco and thought I'd give it a go instead of the usual canned foam that I have been using for thirty years. I started to really enjoy the routine of lathering up and, after finding this forum, took the next step and ordered a DE89L razor, Badger brush and Proraso Green shaving cream from shaving.ie last week. I also got a sample set of blades to try out and so far have used a Personna, Gilette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge and Derby blades, with mixed results. I think the SharpEdge is the better one so far but it's early days. I still have some Feathers, Astras and 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (are these any different from the SharpEdge?) left to test.
    At the time of ordering, I didn't think I would need a pre or post shave cream or balm but, after a week of this system, I now think I may. I have never been one for aftershave, nor did I ever consider men's moisturising products before so I'm unsure what to get.
    Now that I have taken the plunge into this other world of shaving and the variety of products that come with it, I'm debating whether to go the whole hog and get some different pre and post shave products or whether to get something like the Proraso Pre Post cream that can be used as both, or whether it's even necessary to get anything at all. Maybe I should wait another while until I have tested all the blades in the sample set?
    Any advice is welcome!

The proraso pre/post cream with the green lid is excellent. I only use it for pre shave though. After shaving I use some witch hazel followed by Nivea post shave balm. That could be a good starting point for you as all three products together cost under €20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭MickH503

Fakman87 wrote: »
    The proraso pre/post cream with the green lid is excellent. I only use it for pre shave though. After shaving I use some witch hazel followed by Nivea post shave balm. That could be a good starting point for you as all three products together cost under €20.
    I'm relatively new to DE shaving and after a recommendation on here, started using the Proraso Red pre shave cream and it improved the quality of the shave a lot for me.

Advertisement