Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Tried a cold shave today and it was a very good experience. I used warm lather, TOBS Sandalwood, for the first pass with a feather. Used cold water, cold razor for the next 2 passes. The razor seemed to give much more feedback I think. Face and neck sometimes feel a bit sensitive normally but feels good after the cold shave.

Need to repeat it to be sure I suppose. Could just have been a good shave and nothing to do with the cold water. One thing I definitely do know is that I had a much better feel for the razor on my skin.

Got some Proraso Green in a tube and the green splash too. Such a fresh feeling shave! So slick. Really easy to lather and just lovely and cooling on the face. The splash is fantastic too. Lovely and fresh smell and feel. Just a really clean, fresh feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

For the last couple of shaves I have put on the proraso pre shave menthol cream on before having a shower, leaving it on and then shaving after the shower. Definitely seems to soften the beard even more and makes for a better shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Don't forget the good ol' hot towel! Haven't treated myself to that for a while. I used to put on a little prorasso, have the towel soak in near boiling water, squeeze it out, then hold it on for a minute. Feels wonderful and really softens up everything beautifully.

I actually had a bottle of Total Shaving Solution lying around and I put a few drops on my hand and rubbed it onto my wet face before lather for the last couple of shaves. I let it absorb and lathered over it with proraso green shaving cream. Got a really comfortable shave. Skin felt very supple and it seemed to add a little forgiveness. Splashed with proraso green splash afterwards. Worked good I think.

• Advertisement

Got some Proraso Green splash a few weeks back and it's great. However, gets a little boring using it all the time so I've just bought some Proraso Sandalwood splash. Smells absolutely lovely I must say. There's not a massive scent off of the shaving cream but the splash has an amazing scent, especially for the price. Got it from 4men.ie.

Got a trial pack of 4 x different Gillette blades too. I like the yellows but just want to try the others as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Cortecs wrote: »
    Got some Proraso Green splash a few weeks back and it's great. However, gets a little boring using it all the time so I've just bought some Proraso Sandalwood splash. Smells absolutely lovely I must say. There's not a massive scent off of the shaving cream but the splash has an amazing scent, especially for the price. Got it from 4men.ie.

Got a trial pack of 4 x different Gillette blades too. I like the yellows but just want to try the others as well.

Is it a balm or cologne?

http://4men.ie/index.php/brands/proraso/proraso-sandalwood-after-shave-lotion-100ml-new.html?___store=smarttheme_en

It's a splash. Aftershave rather than balm. You can use a small palm full and splash it on and it doesn't overpower.

Actually, got this 4 x packs of Gillette blades. I know they are all Gillette but what's the difference in them all? I know different blades suit different faces etc but never heard of the Gillette Nacet.

http://4men.ie/index.php/brands/gillette/gillette-blade-starter-pack-20-blades.html

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I actually had a bottle of Total Shaving Solution lying around and I put a few drops on my hand and rubbed it onto my wet face before lather for the last couple of shaves. I let it absorb and lathered over it with proraso green shaving cream. Got a really comfortable shave.
    Thanks. I'm going to try that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Actually, got this 4 x packs of Gillette blades. I know they are all Gillette but what's the difference in them all? I know different blades suit different faces etc but never heard of the Gillette Nacet.

http://4men.ie/index.php/brands/gillette/gillette-blade-starter-pack-20-blades.html

The difference is likely the finishing of the blades. The coating applied to them is probably different giving a different feel when using them.

The edge bevel may be at slightly different angles, again changing feel of the blade.

Possibly even diferent steels allowing for different edge sharpness and edge retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I was in my small local pharmacy yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see they actually stocked some DE shaving stuff - styptic pencils, brush, creams, and blades. Not normally in there at all so was happy to see it as I haven't seen it before in some of the large pharmacy chains (that could have to do with the potential profit margins on multiblade stuff tho! ).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

SeaFields wrote: »
    I was in my small local pharmacy yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see they actually stocked some DE shaving stuff - styptic pencils, brush, creams, and blades. Not normally in there at all so was happy to see it as I haven't seen it before in some of the large pharmacy chains (that could have to do with the potential profit margins on multiblade stuff tho! ).
    4000% mark up , according to some.

Anyway, glad I found this thread.

This turbo charged, triple blade, cold fusion, dancing monkey 25euro rip-off nonsense has to stop!!

I must say that using a couple of drops of shaving oil (either Total Shaving Solution or King of Shaves) and leaving it sit for a couple of minutes before lathering has absolutely transformed my shaves. I know not everybody is a fan but it definitely works for me.

I can use pretty much any blade, including feathers which I previously couldn't really use without irritating my neck, and it makes the shave very forgiving. Maybe it's a case that the oil helps the glide as my lathering skill and overall technique are not optimised yet but it definitely works well for me.

A couple of drops prior to lathering is more than sufficient for me.

I actually used the oil alone for touch ups after 3 passes yesterday and it worked well but I wouldn't use it alone for the first couple of passes......

Was getting a tube of proraso sandalwood cream and saw an OC razor by Parker for 13 odd euro (Parker 26C, RRP 33 euro or so).

Bought it and have used it for a few days. It's very nice. Takes less passes to get a good shave than my trusty Muhle R89. I'd say 2 passes instead of 4.

I'm not ready for it yet though.. ...no cuts but my technique is not good enough. Face feels a bit 'raw'. Gonna put it to one side until I've honed my technique a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

A different brand blade will make a huge difference so test some out. Angle makes a big difference; angle it up from 30 to 40 or 45. Lastly lathering, practice your technique and make sure you're getting the slickest, most cushioning lather you can.

Yeah, I brought the angle up and it helped. Found it trickier to get that to work on the neck region though and that's always my trickiest area. Funnily enough, the feedback is more clear from the OC razor. You kind of KNOW that your angle is off straight away compared to the CC razor, by sound and feel. Usually a bit late though ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I got some Vokshod blades from Russia recently. Fantastic shave. Less forgiving in some ways than even Feathers but a lot smoother in other ways. Alternating between these and Feathers right now to see which is my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Used a safety razor today for the first time ever. Decided on buying a merkur 39c because it seemed to have great reviews and apparently gives an extremely close shave. I used the green prorasa cream with it. For the blade I just used the merkur blade that came with the razor. I also bought a few variety packs which will get plenty of use in the future as I have about 150 blades in total .

I was very impressed with the shave, especially how close it was. You can hear all the little hairs being sliced as you shave. It's a strangely satisfying sound. Used a 30 degree angle and let the weight of the blade glide against my skin.One area if difficulty however was around the chin and under it. Knicked myself a few times there. Getting a proper angle in these parts was a difficulty, especially on the second and third passed. And the shave wasn't quite as close as the rest of my face. Anyone have any advice for me in this regard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Practice practice practice. You need to change your angle of attack as you manoeuvre around the chin and neck. I don't know anyone who didn't nick themselves the first few times. Your technique will come with practice.

Get yourself a styptic pencil and/or an alun block to stop the bleeding.

• Advertisement

Bit off thread purpose maybe but just thought I'd pop it on here.

Got an Arko stick just to see if I'd like a stick instead of the tubs of soap or tubes of cream. Thinking of getting some Dr Harris or TOBS but wanted to dry run the stick form to see if I'd like it.

WHAT IN HELL IS THE SCENT??

I don't like the scent one bit. Don't know what the heck it smells like but it's strong....

Apart from the smell, I was surprised how easy and quick it was to lather! Seemed like good lather to me as a relative noob. Normally use Proraso. It actually gave me a really good shave.

Dirt cheap and it'd last next to forever! But the smell.....

Think I'll chance buying a stick of Dr Harris or TOBS.

If you are after other shave sticks that smell better than Arko try out La Toja and Palmolive.

Smell much better than Arko and perform great.

Tesco are selling Wilkinson Sword soap in bowls. I've seen it on sale on the Continent but never tried it. Does anyone know if it's any good?

hitemfrank wrote: »
    If you are after other shave sticks that smell better than Arko try out La Toja and Palmolive.

Smell much better than Arko and perform great.

Might well do that. Arko have me a great shave though I have to say. Rubbed the soap on my face and just used a wet brush. Great lather.

Blasted smell is strange though.

Mediocre glycerin based soap from what I remember.

Mediocre glycerin based soap from what I remember.
    Are you answering my post about Wilkinson Sword? If so, you are telling me what I expected. Annual order to http://www.shaving.ie is due shortly; just waiting for Chris to answer a question about what is in stock.

Might well do that. Arko have me a great shave though I have to say. Rubbed the soap on my face and just used a wet brush. Great lather.

Blasted smell is strange though.

Smells like urinal cakes to me. Definitely not a scent I enjoy.

Michael G wrote: »
    Are you answering my post about Wilkinson Sword? If so, you are telling me what I expected. Annual order to http://www.shaving.ie is due shortly; just waiting for Chris to answer a question about what is in stock.

I was indeed. Didn't realise there was another page.

Overall it's nothing special. If you were stuck with it I'm sure it would be fine but there is much better around.

Smells like urinal cakes to me. Definitely not a scent I enjoy.

Yeah, I had to dump it. I loved using it but the whole place stunk with the smell. Bought a palmolive shave stick and it worked fine but not as good as Arko, for me anyway. Probably just stick with creams for the moment. Just ordered some Geo F Trumper Sandalwood.

• Advertisement

Well, that's a bit of a disaster for some reason. Got the Geo F Trumper Sandalwood and just had the WORST shave since moving to DE....

Lathered well and seemed fine on my face but the blade did not cut well at all on the first pass (new Gillette Silver Blue, my go to blade). Even after 4 passes I'm still not as well shaved as Proraso (or Arko or TOBS or Palmolive even). I'll have to shave again in the morning.

One note, I normally use 2 drops of King of Shaves pre shave oil with my other creams and used it with this too. Maybe it doesn't get on with Trumper creams? Disappointed. Hopefully it was the oil that messed it up?

Face lathered.

Advertisement