Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options
1114115116117118120»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Well a slant and an open comb are going to be a good bit more aggressive than the Rocket. The Rocket was my step up from an EJ89 head. I stopped using Feathers and found Personna Blues worked best. Tha angle matters a little more and you can hear the shave which I had read about but don't remember experiencing from the EJ89.

Also while I was tempted by an adjustable in the early days, most people who have them said they find after initially playing around with it they settle on a number and never change it. Based on that I was put off getting one.

If you don't want to go vintage there's a lot of other options outside the Muhle/EJ/Merkur lineup.

Check this out:

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product-category/safety-razors/

You can also just purchase the head of the razor to experiment. I saw they even offer a 4 head pack.

For a while there I thought I really wanted an iKon heavy Stainless razor and possibly their slant. But once I went vintage, I never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,021 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Guys the head broke off my Edwin Jagger Barley as I was shaving this morning. I have it about a year and a half and it's never been dropped.

Anyone else have this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I've seen it happen before. EJ are usually pretty good at replacing the razor if you get in touch with them.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I've seen it happen before. EJ are usually pretty good at replacing the razor if you get in touch with them.

Thanks for that, I'll pop them on an email later.

I had my eye on a Muhle so I've already ordered a replacement from Shaving.ie :)

http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-r108-classic-razor.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Ryath

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'll pop them on an email later.

I had my eye on a Muhle so I've already ordered a replacement from Shaving.ie :)

http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-r108-classic-razor.html

Happened to me with a Muhle R89 two years ago I dropped it though. Got a new top plate of shaving.ie. Picked up the cheap Wilkinson sword DE at the time to tide me over. Picked up a EJ cheap on amazon lightning deals since so won't be stuck again. Change of job that doesn't require being clean shave since means it's now an enjoyable experience rather than a daily necessity. I can go weeks now with out shaving till the wife's giving out becomes to much. Let it flow for over 3 months originally but it does become a chore to keep it trimmed and groomed too. Plus she who must be obeyed really hated it :(

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    Happened to me with a Muhle R89 two years ago I dropped it though. Got a new top plate of shaving.ie. Picked up the cheap Wilkinson sword DE at the time to tide me over. Picked up a EJ cheap on amazon lightning deals since so won't be stuck again. Change of job that doesn't require being clean shave since means it's now an enjoyable experience rather than a daily necessity. I can go weeks now with out shaving till the wife's giving out becomes to much. Let it flow for over 3 months originally but it does become a chore to keep it trimmed and groomed too. Plus she who must be obeyed really hated it :(

I ordered the Muhle at 9.30 this morning from Shaving.ie and got a shipping notification at 13.00. Can't ask for better than that.

I'd a few extra items on my wishlist so got them together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I ordered the Muhle at 9.30 this morning from Shaving.ie and got a shipping notification at 13.00. Can't ask for better than that.

I'd a few extra items on my wishlist so got them together :)

yep, I ordered from them last week for the first time in a while and I'm glad to say the level of service is still top notch, brilliant service.

Ryath wrote: »
    I can go weeks now with out shaving till the wife's giving out becomes to much. Let it flow for over 3 months originally but it does become a chore to keep it trimmed and groomed too. Plus she who must be obeyed really hated it :(

that sort of thing isn't appreciated around here, I'm with the missus on this one ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I was in Spain last week and was bring carry on only. Brought aftershave with me but at the last minute decided to switch which one I was bringing as the one I had packed was in a glass bottle. I'd a TOBS Bay rum in a plastic bottle so brought that instead at the last minute.

Didn't realise until I was going through security that it was 150ml. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

Yeah, safety razors and most of the soaps etc aren't really an option if you're travelling with hand luggage only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I've carried on a safety razor on its own and either posted the blades ahead or bought them at my destination. You do have to persuade the security people that the razor has no cutting edge, so I'd only do it with a cheap razor – wouldn't risk my Feather All-Stainless.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Yeah, safety razors and most of the soaps etc aren't really an option if you're travelling with hand luggage only.

I've never had a problem taking my safety razor and have been doing so for many years. I've never been caught by security and asked about it. It's not that difficult to locate blades at your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I've never had a problem taking my safety razor and have been doing so for many years. I've never been caught by security and asked about it. It's not that difficult to locate blades at your destination.

You do now realise that next time you try to board a flight you will be stopped, taken to a small room, be interrogated for hours and then be placed on a no-fly list! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

When going through security I always have my safety razor out of the bag and on the tray with my keys. They might ask if I am carrying any blades, which I'm not. I've never had a problem going through security or sourcing blades at my destination. If it came to it I'd just use a disposable. It wouldn't be the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 padtheman

Hi all

I just got a futur. Before this i had a edwin jagger. Thought it was good but i always had a problem on my neck. Then i dropped tge razor and the screw inside the top plate broke so i saved and bougjt a futur. Huge difference in the weight but it gives a great shave. Just thought id share.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Something similar. I just got the Merkur Progress and I came from the Muhle R89. Been using it for about a year and a half and had no complaints about it but just felt that I needed something with a little extra.

I've only used the progress once (about an hour ago) and started off on the 1 setting but dialled it up to 2 by the second pass and finished at 2.5 which felt about right. Really nice weight from it and I like the slightly shorter handle. Used Arlington soap and a Polsilver Super Iridium blade (use Feathers in the R89 but thought it might be an idea to avoid them for first shave with new razor).

I think I'm going to be very happy with the Progress.

Just an update after using the progress for a few days. I absolutely love this little razor. It's smooth as silk during shaving and I can get at least the same shave, if not better, in two passes as 3-4 with the R89.

It's gentle as well (setting 3). I also love the sound feedback as it's cutting. I never really noticed much sound feedback on the R89.

Always interesting to hear different experiences with the Progress. I haven't used it in a long time (favouring the Edwin Jagger) because I found it to be quite severe on anything over '2'. I think the weight is a factor and in my case I must be applying some additional force causing a few nicks as a result.

I like the Jagger because it's very forgiving, it's an ideal 'every day' razor.

Which reminds me, I must take out the Progress for another spin soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've gone back to Mac 3 temporarily. I find my safety razor is not great on my neck. The hair there seems to grow in all directions so I can't really shave with the grain. Mac 3 seems more forgiving.

Also, I find my shaving cream dries out on my face and sometimes floats off and past my eyes :D

I suffer from dry skin anyway so I reckon my face is just sucking the moisture out of the shaving cream. I've bought some oil to wear under my shaving cream. Hoping this stops it from drying out.

Any general tips for the above problems?

Wheety wrote: »
    I've gone back to Mac 3 temporarily. I find my safety razor is not great on my neck. The hair there seems to grow in all directions so I can't really shave with the grain. Mac 3 seems more forgiving.

Also, I find my shaving cream dries out on my face and sometimes floats off and past my eyes :D

I suffer from dry skin anyway so I reckon my face is just sucking the moisture out of the shaving cream. I've bought some oil to wear under my shaving cream. Hoping this stops it from drying out.

is there a chance your lather is too dry, ie: lacking enough water in the mix?
    Also just prior to applying the lather to your face I find it's useful if you apply a fresh splash of water onto the face to ensure the skin is fully wet before applying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Inviere

Same. I found the safety razor was a better shave overall, but despite watching tons of videos on techniques, I got tired of shredding my neck every few days with it. Have gone back to a Gilette razor and a shave has gone from a two/three pass saga, to being done in less than a minute. I'll likely stick with the Gilette type, they're way more forgiving & far more convenient, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

I had the same problem. Now I just apply the lather to one side of my face, shave, re-apply the lather (with a bit of hot water) to the same side of the face and make a second pass with the razor. Then I switch to the other side of the face and repeat the same process. The shaving cream won't be on your face for any longer that 90 seconds so hopefully it won't start to dry.
    Inviere wrote: »
    Same. I found the safety razor was a better shave overall, but despite watching tons of videos on techniques, I got tired of shredding my neck every few days with it. Have gone back to a Gilette razor and a shave has gone from a two/three pass saga, to being done in less than a minute. I'll likely stick with the Gilette type, they're way more forgiving & far more convenient, for me.

I have had a similar experience. I have to shave every weekday before work. The Mach3 is just so convenient, so quick and so forgiving of my poor technique. I have two safety razors but I am not skilled enough to use them without cutting the face off myself and I don't really have the time in the morning to practise with them. I still get all the fancy shaving creams from TOBS and Truefitt and Hill so there is at least some luxury in the morning time :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I've gone back to the cartridge too out of laziness. Can't be bothered doing the prep needed for my face to achieve a good DE shave.

Splash of water and the Gillette or Boldking does a grand job. Boldking is a great razor love how each blade can move on it's own with my face

If only teh handle could be got with a DE head would be great it's just a lovely simple rubber handle

I've been using the Progress for a few weeks but only had Feather blades in it for the last week or so as I'd run out of Polsilver. Felt the shaves a bit harsh even if I didn't nick myself or have razor burn. Thought I'd give the Muhle R89 a go again with the Feather blades and it was an exceptionally smooth shave. The Muhle really is a beautifully designed razor and works really well for me with a Feather. Need to buy some more Polsilver for the Progress though as the Feathers do seem a little more rough in that.

Definitely has my experience that different razors suit different razor heads. I also found Feather/Voshkod to be a great match for a EJ89 but that Personna blades better suit the vintage aristocrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I find the Gillette tech is a great match for a feather sharp but keeps manners on her

Advertisement