Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Tonight is also blade change time for me, am torn between trying out a Feather or sticking with the Crystal/Personna and trying to perfect
    shaving whilst keeping the blade/razor combo constant. Saying that
    I'm getting results equal to or surpassing a Fusion shave.

I'm the same. I'm quite happy with my results with a Merkur blade but I reckon using a Feater is like a rite of passage, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The fashion of the moment seems to be with Gillette TTO's (turn to open), but the more I use the Merkur, the more I'm pleased by the low profile head of the razor. I find myself drooling over these..

mintgillettetechdw9.jpg

A Gillette Tech. Look at the head, very low profile, meant to be a great shaver. This mint one (with card foil in place) is priced at $30.. Sorry, but give me this over a TTO any day.. Oh, and convert the price to Euro and it is less than the price of a new Merkur HD (34C). Half the price of a Merkur Progress.

hamsterboy, your first link, this seems to be it new, the following link provide it in a plastic box and with extra blades. Link chosen at random from Google.

http://www.timothyedwards.co.uk/Brand/Merkur/Merkur-HD-Gold-Safety-Razor/p-70-88-226/

Merkur have been making razors for ages though.. and that box looks a bit more old school than their current plastic boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Cheers
    Really wanna ditch my wilkinson/mach/turbo/extreme/fusion..... whatever it is I'm using at the mo.
    Would it be suitable for a first timer or does heavy duty imply only for use by men who grow brillo pads on their chin?

HB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Has anyone tried adding a couple of drops of shaving oil to their cream?
    I've started to add a couple of drops of either King of Shaves oil or
    the Real Shaving Co. oil to the cream in my shaving mug and it seems
    to reduce razor burn and any irritation. It's a lot more forgiving if you're
    going against the grain or over an area that you should have lathered more!

http://www.kmishop.com/AlphaOil-Shave-Oil-PUK_AOUM/
    http://www.realshaving.com/products/nodripshavingoil.html

Both available in Boots.

hamsterboy, a Merkur HD relates to the weight I think, it is a heavy razor, with a short handle. I love mine. It will take you a day or two to get used to it, after that, you'll be flying.

Shop around for prices, check this thread out for the suppliers most of us have used in the last few weeks, it boils down to about 3 suppliers in total.

As a person new to this myself (1 month). I would just say this to you:

1. Use a shaving cream or shaving soap, ditch the foam/gel from a can.

2. Raise the hair using a shaving brush, it makes all the difference. Circular motions on the face for a good 30 seconds or more of lathering.

3. If you don't like one type of blade on your face, change it.

Cheers Amalgam
    Will let you know how I get on (if I win it)

HB

I wouldn't bid over £20 myself, as at that point you can get some very nice razors, both vintage and new. Take your time, there's a lot out there.

Good Advice from Amalgam, to add another 'trick' I've used for the past 5 years
    or so is to always have a shower before shaving and to also gently
    exfoliate your face (facial scrub and clean hot facecloth).

Even when using a M3/Fusion, the facecloth/scrub and shaving brush
    made a big difference.

• Advertisement

Couldn't wait to finish the Wars.. cracked open a tube of Proraso (Green) shaving cream for the first time today, think of a very diluted Vicks VapoRub effect on the skin, menthol, with a leaning towards herbal and eucalyptus. Very pleasant. A silky, milky lather, light on air bubbles, good volume and brush clogingly thick..

A rough shave using a Israeli Personna, great zombie effects after knocking the head off something rather large, blade 'skipped' twice. Sharp.

Tucking into the Speick shaving cream tomorrow. Anyone that hasn't tried Proraso before, if you like an 'active' shaving cream that'll keep working on your skin after the shave, you'll love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Amalgam wrote: »
    I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has used the Proraso After Shave Balm, it has no alcohol and contains Witchhazel.

prorasobalmer9.jpg

I have that boyo, yes I find it very soothing on the skin, also helps with the nicks. I also use the Proraso pre/post shave oil, the combination works well.
    The Personnas seem to work well for me, I am going to order a lash of them. Whats the deal with the crystal/reds?

dbar wrote: »
    I have that boyo, yes I find it very soothing on the skin, also helps with the nicks. I also use the Proraso pre/post shave oil, the combination works well.
    The Personnas seem to work well for me, I am going to order a lash of them. Whats the deal with the crystal/reds?

I'm finding the Proraso pre/post cream is helping, I used it last night after
    I used a facial scrub and I left it on for 5 minutes before shaving. As a
    post shave treatment, even when I use lightly on a wet face, I'm finding
    it rather 'heavy' on my skin. I'm also still undecided on whether the scent
    is horrible or not. But the combo of pre/post and shaving cream from Proraso
    does indeed give me another great shave last night with the
    IP Crystal/Personna (blues).

Here's some info on the different IP/Israeli blades:
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=51858
    http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3056

review on the 'reds' here
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46528
    Granted the above is more info than anyone could need on the topic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Looks like I'm not the only one indulging in a fair bit of shaving related shopping ;)

I also received another delivery from Connaught Shaving today, the
    upgraded shipping meant I received this in 3 days compared to my last
    order which took 10 days.

I ordered the Proraso pre/post shave, shaving cream and shaving nick cream.
    I spotted they had the large sizes for the shaving cream and the
    pre/post shave cream in stock and they are what I ordered. Based on
    reviews of the pre/post cream I reckon I have enough for several years!

I also ordered the Mitchells lanolin soap and their largest blade sample pack so
    I have plenty of different blades to try out. I'm in the middle of
    reading this thread to see opinions on them.

Of the blades I've used so far, the IP Crystal/Personna Amalgam has
    pictured above are one of my favourites. I've used them in both the
    Futur and Progress and especially with the Progress I find they give
    a close shave with no irritation.

PS: Amalgam, I see your photo includes the most essential of shaving equipment,
    the radio for the bathroom.

Can you let us know how you get on with the shaving nick cream, I need to get something as I regularly get nicks that the Alum block cant handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I use the Proraso nick cream. Does a good job at stopping blood from gushing all over the bathroom!
    A little dab in any nick sorts it out, but it does go crusty and looks like a patch of dry skin if you don't wipe it off. Usually by the time I'm leaving the bathroom any little nick has been sorted and I wipe it off.
    Actually last week I cut my finger (small but a bleeder), and the Proraso sorted me out. Who needs plasters?

Are the Red Personna not the budget line of the Personna blades? I just notice the pack comes in a paper holder and they're generally cheaper than the blue personna. Having said that, some folk put them above the blue.. I was under the impression the blue had the extra coating.

As Gran Hermano pointed out, there's an unhealthy amount of internet dedicated to that one blade 'brand'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'm going to be awkward again, I'd really like to get one, but tbh, I wouldn't mind actually picking one up from a bricks and mortar shop, or at least just holding one before I went for it.

Someone mentioned that place in Stephens green had them - Did anyone get a price? Or what brand?

Or am I just being silly and should buy online...

Fajitas!, Knights, if you exit Boots in the St. Stephens Green shopping center, they're on your right, a bit further up that aisle, small unit, keep your eyes open or you'll miss it.

They stock Merkur, Mühle and I think Edwin Jagger.. along with a selection of (sadly) own branded shaving brushes, Silver tip and Pure Badger, depends what you're buying. As I said earlier, the brushes have a cheesy Knights logo on them, but the brushes themselves are good quality. Priced from about 35 to 80 euro.

The Merkur that I spotted were Barber pole (long), I spied a Progress plastic box, along with various odds and ends, open comb, closed and I think a slant.

The Mühle they had were shiny, very nice on the eye. No harm in going in and having a look, friendly staff, they'll gladly take anything out for you to have a look at.

That's great, cheers Amalgram.

I'll take a trip down town in the morning.

Fajitas, depending on your location you might find Knights in Dundrum Shopping centre an
    easier alternative. I know I spotted Proraso and
    brushes in their window before Christmas. (They're located near Argos.)

From what I've seen on the long Personna threads the Red Personna blades whilst
    made by the same company (maybe not same factory)
    are slightly cheaper than the Blue and whilst most reviews vary between
    favourable and just OK for the Reds most people seem to rate the Blues
    higher.

Proraso Shave cut gel: I haven't had much need to use mine. Maybe it's
    beginners luck or my pre-shave routine paying off but lucklily I have not
    need to use the Alum block, styptic pencil or the cut gel anywhere near
    as much as I thought I would. I was shaving my head with the Futur, maybe
    a tad over and ambitious, and I tried all three on a couple of small nicks
    around the ears and they all work. The gel can leave a small white residue
    behind so use sparingly. It beats tissue paper stuck to your head.
    Luckily showering/splashing with cold water post-shave seems to resolve
    any of my small nicks and means I havent needed the other remedies - yet!

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    friendly staff, they'll gladly take anything out for you to have a look at.

Very friendly staff then :D

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I use a Muhle and am very happy with it.

I used the Feather the other day. Great close shave but at a price! Definitely less forgiving than the Merkur. I'll give it a few more shaves before a final opinion.

tribulus wrote: »
    I use a Muhle and am very happy with it.

I used the Feather the other day. Great close shave but at a price! Definitely less forgiving than the Merkur. I'll give it a few more shaves before a final opinion.

;) You finally used the Feather, it wants to cut you.. I find they go downhill after 3 shaves, I start getting 'measles neck'.

I popped in to Knights Barbers in Stephens Green today, didn't find them helpful at all though.

The chap inside there kept on trying to sell me multibladed ones and said that the "two sided blades" weren't as good (Any time I mentioned safety razors, he thought I was talking about the multi bladed ones, and the small steel strings over the blades) , and they only had one in stock. I asked about longer handles because it was pretty small - I'd have large enough hands, and when I tried holding it, I found it tiny - He said they didn't make them any bigger than this (I reckon less than three inches) because they were only made as compacts... He said the blades were very difficult to order in too. :confused:

And then went back to trying to sell me the multi bladed razors...

Worth my while popping out to the other one? I'm on the other end of town, so it's a stretch out.

I'd just order online from Connaught Shaving (pay for the slightly more
    expensive 3 day shipping) or use the Shaving Shack UK (delivery about 5
    days on my last 2 orders and use the 10% off code in the sticky thread here).

Buying online will let you get the other various bits and bobs you'll need,
    get a blade sampler pack, and you'll have a decent range of everything
    to select from.

The Merkur Progress is indeed a small razor length wise but don't let that
    put you off - it's down to how you hold and use it. It's a perfect size if you
    use the techniques as illustrated by Mantic59 on youtube.
    The Futur has a longer handle but that makes it harder to control in my
    experience.

Yeah, I reckon I'll just order online, seems to be the handiest way to go - I just have a thing about actually holding something before I buy one - Even if I still buy online!

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I popped in to Knights Barbers in Stephens Green today, didn't find them helpful at all though.

Sorry to hear that, female staff when I went in. You had a good look in the cabinet as you go in, it would be on your right, facing the doorway.

I posted about Knights earlier in the thread, that is when I saw several razors, or was it a mirage, the boxes looked quite umm.. musty, they would have been there a while.

(I know it sounds like I'm trying to make excuses..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

The progress is amazing!! Definatly a must for anyone dipping their toes! It was my first one at the start of january and I just bought the 34C (Merkur HD) and to be honest I love them both. I love the simplicity of the 34c and have even loaned it out to some of the lads to try out and each one of them loved it.
    yes the handles are small, but its not something you 'need to grip' its something you use and feel from the tips of your finger not the palm of your hand. (hope that makes sense!!)
    Blades are not hard to order at all, if anything blades are the best part of what keeps the DE shaving interesting!! What blade do you use, with what cream, have you tried this etc etc. Its a never ending story, and thats whats so good about it.
    I have yet to have any of my friends use the razor and not buy one for themselves within the week!! its that good!!

The Merkur Progress is indeed a small razor length wise but don't let that
    put you off - it's down to how you hold and use it. It's a perfect size if you
    use the techniques as illustrated by Mantic59 on youtube.
    The Futur has a longer handle but that makes it harder to control in my
    experience.

I would class the Futur as having a different character to the Progress, I started with a Futur and it was a bit of a shock.. both the weight and the head of the razor, being quite domed.

Connaught Shaving take about 5-6 days to get to me, but the items are packed well and I have no complaints. 4 orders so far.

• Advertisement

Heh, hard to get?! Tesco make their own brand.. just about every chemist will have some squirelled away.

Advertisement