Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Amalgam wrote: »
    Heh, hard to get?! Tesco make their own brand.. just about every chemist will have some squirelled away.

Noticed Boots stock both their own brand and Wilkinson Sword
    in both razors and DE blades. Can't say I like the look/design of the
    razors but they're only around €10-15.

I hear you on the Futur vs Progress and I find I'm using the Progress more
    - especially if I want a real close shave and not have to concentrate as much as I would have to shaving with the Futur.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

- especially if I want a real close shave and not have to concentrate as much as I would have to shaving with the Futur.

Yeah, I'm currently using W/S razor & blades I got from Boots! They're cheap, but are going pretty good for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Sorry to hear that, female staff when I went in. You had a good look in the cabinet as you go in, it would be on your right, facing the doorway.

I posted about Knights earlier in the thread, that is when I saw several razors, or was it a mirage, the boxes looked quite umm.. musty, they would have been there a while.

(I know it sounds like I'm trying to make excuses..)
    Hah, no worries at all! Not your fault in the slightest :)

The only ones the chap had were in the cabinet straight ahead when I walked in, saw the boxes but didn't know what was in'em - Though they were all packs of creams/oils etc :o
    Heh, hard to get?! Tesco make their own brand.. just about every chemist will have some squirelled away.
    That's exactly what I thought when I popped on to any site selling the blades - There's a huge choice out there. I pretty much gathered yer man wasn't on the ball before he said that, and that confirmed it!

I think I'll just buy a Progress. And blame Amalgam if it all goes belly up :pac: (Joking, joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Talking of a Progress, a 'Mergress' went for $40 on Badger & Blade today.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76989

---

I remember having this years ago, I dabbled with a DE in my late teens, I remember the head might have been plastic. Basic construction, with a rod down the shaft, to add some weight.

classicfrontrj6.jpg

classicreargy8.jpg

I stumbled across a thread on Badger & Blade discussing this budget DE, I noticed an Irish member, giving their location as Dublin, having picked up the razor for €5.60. Not a bad price to experiment with. I'll PM him to ask where.

Wilkinson DE Classic... Not that bad

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=59310

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

hamsterboy, a Merkur HD relates to the weight I think, it is a heavy razor, with a short handle. I love mine.

HD = Heavy Duty for tough beards

• Advertisement

I remember having this years ago, I dabbled with a DE in my late teens, I remember the head might have been plastic. Basic construction, with a rod down the shaft, to add some weight.
    classicfrontrj6.jpg
    classicreargy8.jpg
    I stumbled across a thread on Badger & Blade discussing this budget DE, I noticed an Irish member, giving their location as Dublin, having picked up the razor for €5.60. Not a bad price to experiment with. I'll PM him to ask where.
    Wilkinson DE Classic... Not that bad
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=59310

That's the one I was just talking about and posted about buying/using earlier...

That's the price I paid too, €5.60 in boots for the razor and 5 blades.

The Futur, Slant Bar and Vision are bad choices to start DE shaving with - stick to the progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

MediaTank, you ordered the Slantbar right?
    Report Please:D

That's the one I was just talking about and posted about buying/using earlier...

That's the price I paid too, €5.60 in boots for the razor and 5 blades.

Sorry, I thought you had bought a Parker, for some reason. (cleans spectacles..)

5 blades, possibly 15+ shaves from the blade pack. A fairly sturdy DE to keep. Less than 6 euro.

Sorry, I thought you had bought a Parker, for some reason. (cleans spectacles..)

5 blades, possibly 15+ shaves from the blade pack. A fairly sturdy DE to keep. Less than 6 euro.
    Lol nah I had been previously looking at a pack which included a parker so good memory there, but I got the W/S on the spur of the moment when I saw it in Boots :D

I will undoubtedly be upgrading to a progress in the future though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We interrupt this discussion to bring you a product review:

Bought a bottle of geo. f. trumpers coral skinfood off irishbarber.com, it's not cheap at 24 yoyos for a 100 ml bottle but it sure does help with cooling and smoothing the fizzer down after a shave, I like and recommend it.

Only problem is that it's rose scented, a bit like turkish delight or something. Probably best not to throw it on just before you go out the door unless you like the idea of smelling like a hoors handbag :eek:

Bambi wrote: »
    We interrupt this discussion to bring you a product review:

Bought a bottle of geo. f. trumpers coral skinfood off irishbarber.com, it's not cheap at 24 yoyos for a 100 ml bottle but it sure does help with cooling and smoothing the fizzer down after a shave, I like and recommend it.

Only problem is that it's rose scented, a bit like turkish delight or something. Probably best not to throw it on just before you go out the door unless you like the idea of smelling like a hoors handbag :eek:

It's great stuff I use it all the time. Don't worry the rose scent fades away pretty quickly or you can just use your favourite cologne/scent. There's also a West Indian Limes version which I really like in the summer.

dbar wrote: »
    MediaTank, you ordered the Slantbar right?
    Report Please:D

Sure did, was away this week on business for a few days so only getting to the review now ;)

It's a beast of a thing, huge and has a scary gap beteen the guard rail and the balde. I popped a Feather in an got to work. Going for the Feather was a mistake, I should have used a Merkur as it's a good baseline to test out a new razor - not too sharp and not blunt.

With the SB I cut myself for the first time in 3 years, this razor reuires the most delicate touch and negative pressure to do it's job. It looks the business but I would not recommend it unless you are very used to DE razors. I'll try it next time with a Merkur blade.

BTW, shaving with it only required one pass!

MT

MediaTank, what is the reason for the slant, is it to facilitate angled strokes, or some sort of J-Hooking?

MediaTank, what is the reason for the slant, is it to facilitate angled strokes, or some sort of J-Hooking?

It's intended for tough beards, the slant of the safety bar is supposed to make it easier to shave. You use it just like a regular DE.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hi lads,
    I got a tube of this stuff which is about 99.7% full as I';ve used it for a few shaves and just find it any good compared to Lider or wars for my skin so I don't think I';ll be using it anymore. :(

http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/catalog/Tube-Omega-Shaving-Cream-147g-p-2722.html
    152a631a00fe19f2cdaaa9cb872eabbe.jpg
    This fantastic cream has a eucalyptus scent and makes a fine lather. Made in Italy, this cream is comparable to much more expensive brands and has been likened to the famous Proraso shaving cream.

If somebody wants it your welcome to it...ideally as a swap for a tube of lider or wars would be nice but if not that doesn't matter..

Cabaal, I'd happily exchange if I had any Wars left..

I'm using Speick at the moment, which has a very spiced scent, hint of cinnamon, that kind of mulled wine feeling, if there was a sweet like it, you'd be chewing it gladly.. at odds to the Proraso, which is much more active on the skin.

The scent lasts after the shave, pleasant, in an olde English manner, certainly not a 'new' fragrance.

A soft lather, takes a while to whip it into shape.

---

I have this if someone is bothered. I don't believe in this 'concentrate' lark, something has to have mass to be useful.. came with the shaving brush I purchased. Unused.

menuconcentrateea8.jpg

Stake your claim and then send a PM. I'll punt it out in an envelope.

Cream taken by who007.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The_M

I have read this thread with great interest. I have been using my late father's Gilette Super Speed, circa 1951, since we closed up my mother's house 5 years ago.

I remember using this back in the early 80s when I was out of my double blades and thinking that the shave was as good as the "High Tech" razor I had.

Used to buy Dad an Old Spice shaving mug/soap every Christmas, kinda like getting him a new tie every year.

He used 2 safety razors, one starting in 1942 when the US Army took away his cut throat, and the 1951 Gilette. I guess the Old Fella was an early Greenie!

The_M, I'm in the same position, my late father's razor is somewhere in the house, a British Gillette TTO 'Knack', with a dark blue handle. I used it ages ago, then lost it.. (same as below)

britishknack.jpg

My late grandfather used safety razors, I'm getting a relative to send over his razor(s) and two brushes, from France, the great thing about that is I have no idea what to expect, I just know they were turn to open razors.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The_M

Mines a Super Speed, with a Black handle. Still works a charm, and I can get a 10 pack of blades for $1.29. Beats the multi blades by a mile!

I remember in the early 80s watching a parody on Saturday Night Live about new razors, when 2 blades was cutting edge! <sorry!>

Started with one guy with a double blade who gets shoved off by someone with a triple blade to be ultimately replaced by someone with a "Quatra Trac" because "You'll believe anything"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hi All
    Lost an eBay auction for a gold second-hand Merkur HD but then won one for a brand new, boxed chrome HD. Got it and an unopened pack of Derby blades for 20 quid :) Ebay is always throwing up these things apparently.
    I have an antique bowl that used to belong to my dad, all I need now are a brush (have one but its pretty bad) and a good cream. I like the sound of the ones with menthol etc that have an "active " effect on the skin.
    Any recommendations?
    Can't wait for the postman to bring the damn thing, aint gonna shave till then :)

HB

Proraso has a strong menthol effect. Don't just consider that for your shaving cream. I find lubrication more important, many less expensive creams may have a better lubricating lather, Wars (Poland) works well, as does the bog standard Palmolive Classic, available in supermarkets and most likely your local chemist. No scent to speak of though, from the Palmolive. Just because it doesn't have a posh pedigree or fancy packaging doesn't mean it's not good.

How much you spend doesn't necessarily equate to a better shaving experience, I had it in mind to get a brush close to 100 euro, but after giving my Boots purchased Men-ü pure bristle brush another chance, I get along just fine with that.

has anyone bought one of these lads yet? Any feedback?

http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/page83.html

I was thinking of buying a dovo disposable off irishbarber.com just to try a straight razor out but these arent that much more expensive..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Bambi wrote: »
    has anyone bought one of these lads yet? Any feedback?

http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/page83.html

I was thinking of buying a dovo disposable off irishbarber.com just to try a straight razor out but these arent that much more expensive..

Yes,
    I got one, (Wapi) tried it once, not for me. Very difficult. You have to remebmer to keep the face streatched. I might try again when I feel up to it...

dbar, if you have PayPal, quite a few sellers on the Badger & Blade 'BST' (Buy\Sell\Trade) will ship vintage razors out to Europe. The prices seems quite stable compared to eBay, just lurk for a bit or make a 'WTB' (want to buy) post.

There are no post limits as a member to buying, you need 50 posts to your name to sell items on Badger & Blade.

Badger & Blade - BST

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11

dbar wrote: »
    Yes,
    I got one, (Wapi) tried it once, not for me. Very difficult. You have to remebmer to keep the face streatched..

And I've a lot of face to stretch :o

theres a thread linked below requesting a blades forum on boards if anyone wants to add their support. I don't want to be steering traffic away from FH&H but this discussion is a pretty good example of the posters/topics that a blades forum might serve.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055284030

Bambi, for what it's worth, I asked would safety razors and straights be 'welcome'.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59151853&postcount=130

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

As someone who has used various blades in the past and is familiar
    with them from a martial arts and fencing side, I can't help thinking
    us shavers would have more in common with this forum than a blades one.

• Advertisement

Meh, most of my exposure to blades is through martial arts but a blades forum would be about blades in all shapes and sizes (hopefully :pac:)

And in the interests of on topicness, ive been using oilatum soap for lathering duties lately( its a kind of soap for dry skin conditions, i think it was a thread on boards that put me wide to it for shaving rash). Lathers up pretty well.

Advertisement