Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Bah. :mad:

Used the IP's Platinum Plus for a few days, face a bit red after. a bit of a 'drag' on the pull. Tried to convince myself things were fine. Popped a Feather into the Merkur HD this morning, the difference couldn't be more obvious. Feather + Light pressure + Proraso = Perfection. Skin like silk, no redness, no irritation. I could have stopped after 2 passes, continued with some chin touch up.

If you have a doubt about a blade, using a benchmark like a Feather will set you straight.. and probably piss you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm still liking the IP+ Personna/Crystals but find I only get 3 days from them, after that I find they drag too much.

I've had a Dorco Korea in for the last two days and so far so good.

I have to agree with the Proraso, the pre-shave and shaving creams are
    my favourites so far. I like them more than the 3 different soaps/creams
    I've tried from Taylors or the other creams I've picked up in Boots.

Gran Hermano, when you say 'Taylors', is that Taylors of Bond Street, for sale in Boots?

If yes to the above, which branch of Boots?

Amalgam wrote: »
    Gran Hermano, when you say 'Taylors', is that Taylors of Bond Street, for sale in Boots?

If yes to the above, which branch of Boots?

Sorry I should have clarified, I have tried several of the Taylors creams/soap
    which I bought via the usual UK sites and also tried other creams/soaps that Boots sell under their own brand. Compared to all of them the Proraso is my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I have the proraso shave soap-and it is fantastic!! I've also mixed the shave soap with a bit of the shave company's shave cream, just to try my own super lather!! Worked a charm.

Now onto my not so good experiences, I bought some body shop shave soap recently (blue tub with macadamia or something like that) which I just can't shave with. Its like it provides no protection or lubrication!! I even shaved with conditioner and moisturiser/no brush while away for the weekend, and that felt alot better than the body shop stuff.

Proraso is the best value for money by far in my eyes-definatly going to invest of some more of their products to try out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hi All
    Got home today to find all my purchases had arrived on the same day
    DSCF2524.JPG
    Merkur HD eBay
    Derby Blades eBay
    Prosaro Shaving Cream 4men.ie
    Prosaro After Shave Cream 4men.ie
    Prosaro Shaving Foam 4men.ie (they threw it in free with the order)

As I type this I'm psyching myself up for the first shave.
    Have a 4 day growth in anticipation
    Will let you know how I get on (providing I don't bleed to death)

HB

Very nice, you got a plastic case with your Merkur HD. Proraso is a treat to use. Lather yourself well. Don't 'dig in' with the HD, with a good lather to support it, the blade won't need much muscle to get the work done.

I keep having to remind myself not to use as much pressure as before, not something I've accepted fully yet.

Well I gotta say, that was better than I thought it would be.
    The Prosaro is an amazing cream. It smells amazing and the tingle it produces on your skin is fantastic and helps the beard stand up.
    The Merkur is now my favourite piece of German engineering (previously it was the 1954-1957 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing Coupe :))
    It feels weighty in the hand and the short handle makes it easy to steer round the curves of your face. I have a french goatee and it tackled it better than my old Mach3 (which is presently a bubbling blotch in the fire)
    As it was my first DE shave, I have nothing to compare the experience to, but if this is just the learning stage, I'm going to look forward every day to a nice refreshing shave, whereas before it was just an annoying chore.
    Thanks to everyone on this thread for all the advice and pointers.
    Together we can show the masses the error of their ways and cast off the shackles of overpriced, consumerist, inefficient, over-marketed garbage

Cheers Again
    HB

I blame the makers of cartridge blades for brainwashing us all into thinking safety razors will leave you scarred for life.

I also had the 'that's not as bad or scary as I feared' feeling after my first DE shave and am fully converted now.

I was tempted to order some different creams today, Trumpers mainly, but them I reminded myself how happy I am with the Proraso combo of pre/post and shaving cream. I sure noticed I'd used the post shave cream with it's menthol the other day when it was cold and the wind hit my freshly shaved head!

Another convert!! Welcome to the bright side!

• Advertisement

Great hamsterboy. Once you get bored, you can do weird stuff like this..

nescafewhisker.jpg

God bless those Nescafé scientists.

Works well, if you use piping hot water, after whisking still very hot, great to use.

Great hamsterboy. Once you get bored, you can do weird stuff like this..

nescafewhisker.jpg

God bless those Nescafé scientists.

Works well, if you use piping hot water, after whisking still very hot, great to use.

Dude, thats just genius!!!! :)

HB

As someone who spends far too much time and probably money on the fine art of coffee, that's one hell of an ingenious use for a milk whisk!
    I'm so going to have to try it.
    :)
    If anyone is looking to buy a whisk. Dealextreme.com are the cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

hamsterboy, do you have a link to where you bought the razor on ebay? I cant find any at the moment. Or if anyone else knows of any good offers on a good safety razor for newbie :) thanks.

As someone who spends far too much time and probably money on the fine art of coffee, that's one hell of an ingenious use for a milk whisk!
    I'm so going to have to try it.
    :)
    If anyone is looking to buy a whisk. Dealextreme.com are the cheapest

Too much water used, a bit runny for my liking.. also, the 'physics' of it all are slighted f-cked.. the bristles of a shaving brush really need to pick up on the cream and be part of the transformation into a lather.*

The whisk came with some awful granular goo which Nescafé had attached to the outside of regular coffee jars. You whisked an airy head onto your instant coffee.

* I apologise for such a ponce like phrase..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I may have to look into getting a safety razor soon. I just shaved off the beard last night... :eek:

The skin on my chin under my beard was just burning up and I couldn't put up with it anymore. In a moment of madness I just shaved it all off. I used my Sensor Excel and some nice shaving cream that I picked up a while back in Tescos. Its made by "The Real Shaving Co."

Ok, so where should I start. I like the look of the Merkur razors but am a bit confused at all the different model numbers. :confused:

I'm biased towards a fixed, non adjustable. I would say the Merkur HD. Boots stock the Men-ü shaving brushes which are acceptable, not too floppy, good for circular lathering.

Also, have a sniff at Connaught Shaving, I have ordered off them 4 times now with no problems, well packed and quick enough, 5 working days, give or take an extra day.

Proraso for shaving cream, though if you want to buy local, just about everywhere will stock Palmolive Classic (Green) shaving cream. Not much of a smell but works well.

Yeah, I was looking on Connaught Shaving. Is the 34 HD considered the "standard" one? what do the numbers mean. :)

Numbers dont mean anything other than identifying products. So the 34c doesn't mean 34 millimeters or anything like that.
    I started off with the adjustable 'progress' and treated myself to the 34c also called the 'HD' and like both equally. Sometimes I don't wana mess around with adjusting etc so I just take the HD out of convenience!
    Invest in some proraso-i have yet to hear of anyone who doesnt like the effect it has on your skin and your shave. It is a bit menthol-y but its not a lingering smell so dont worry.
    I've bought my stuff off the shave shack, really cheap, you get 30 free blades with orders over 10 pounds and a great selection for everyone. (plus theres a 10% off code in one of the stickies)
    you won't be disappointed with your purchase regardless of where you buy-a merkur to begin with is a great idea for anyone!! Easy to use and looks/feels amazing.

Quick question to those who've ordered more than once from Shaving Shack, the 10% off code worked fine on my first order but on subsequent orders I'd no joy. Is it just on initial orders or a case of my browser/cookies causing problems?

• Advertisement

Numbers dont mean anything other than identifying products. So the 34c doesn't mean 34 millimeters or anything like that.
    I started off with the adjustable 'progress' and treated myself to the 34c also called the 'HD' and like both equally. Sometimes I don't wana mess around with adjusting etc so I just take the HD out of convenience!
    Invest in some proraso-i have yet to hear of anyone who doesnt like the effect it has on your skin and your shave. It is a bit menthol-y but its not a lingering smell so dont worry.
    I've bought my stuff off the shave shack, really cheap, you get 30 free blades with orders over 10 pounds and a great selection for everyone. (plus theres a 10% off code in one of the stickies)
    you won't be disappointed with your purchase regardless of where you buy-a merkur to begin with is a great idea for anyone!! Easy to use and looks/feels amazing.

Ah right cool. I'll probably go for that one seeing as others seem to like it so much. Yeah, I know about the discount code.... I put it in the sticky. :pac:

What blades do you get, is it a selection?
    Quick question to those who've ordered more than once from Shaving Shack, the 10% off code worked fine on my first order but on subsequent orders I'd no joy. Is it just on initial orders or a case of my browser/cookies causing problems?

Maybe if you try clearing your cache and cookies. :confused:
    I'll see if it works for me. I'll probably buy from the shaving shack... looks pretty cheap and I like the idea of that points system they have going.

tw0nk wrote: »
    hamsterboy, do you have a link to where you bought the razor on ebay? I cant find any at the moment. Or if anyone else knows of any good offers on a good safety razor for newbie :) thanks.

It was just a private seller who bought it online and in his own words "bottled it" before he even took it out of the box.
    Got it for 20 quid inc. Derbys and postage form England.
    I'd been bidding on a few, they're alway popping up now and then.
    Just checked ebay and theres nothing but Parkers for sale at the mo.
    Keep checking though and be patient :)
    Good Luck

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Nowt wrong with Parkers. The ones on e-Bay at the moment are from the Shaving Shack. It might be more reasonable to go direct to their site.

Wasn't saying that theres something wrong with Parkers BTW :)
    I'm sure they're pretty good Razors, like the butterfly TTO design.
    Might invest meself sometime

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Thanks for reply re ebay.

I have decided to order off shave shack as they seem the best value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Wasn't saying that theres something wrong with Parkers BTW :)

I guessed so.
    My one and only safety razor is a Parker, so while I'm pleased with it I have no frame of reference. For a beginner though (like me), it comes in cheaper than a Merkur, and will get you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

dbar wrote: »
    Think I'm gonna start collecting, as it seems to be the thing to do!
    Where to start lads? I know Sweet FA about the vintage stuff

The vintage Gillette models are very collectable. I have a book published in 1991 which lists all the models and their (then) value. Razors such as the Toggle in gold and unused sell for good money.

Other razors worth collecting are the Canadian Schick single edge from the 20s and of course vintage straight razors. eBay abounds with both good and bad value - Rolls razor anyone?

MediaTank, I want to get a pre-safety bar Gillette, open comb. WHat would be the classic one to get? A Gillette 'New'? Will I cut myself to shreds, or does the thing look worse than it is?

Just noticed
    Because my Merkur and Derbys give such a close shave (I mean CLOSE!!!!!!).
    Rather than having a rushed shave in the morning, I can take my time and enjoy the shave the night before, usually a two pass shave, and still have a cleanly shaven face the next morning.
    Man this just keeps getting better

HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

MediaTank, I want to get a pre-safety bar Gillette, open comb. WHat would be the classic one to get? A Gillette 'New'? Will I cut myself to shreds, or does the thing look worse than it is?

Good question, I'll look it up in the book I mentioned, I'll post the name of the book here too in case anyone else wants to buy one.

The older Gillettes AFAIK are a little different to the more recent models, whether that's the open comb design or whether it's the older carbon steel blades they were designed for. I haven't tried one :D

MT

Advertisement