Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Nice selection here folks:

http://www.truefittandhill.com/items_samples__shaving_cream_samples.html

use code BB09 to get a few dollars off.. has free shipping - I got every sample on the page and it worked out at €20 !! Can't go wrong!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Amalgam wrote: »
    MediaTank, I want to get a pre-safety bar Gillette, open comb. WHat would be the classic one to get? A Gillette 'New'? Will I cut myself to shreds, or does the thing look worse than it is?

The book is "The Complete Gillette Collectors Handbook", by Phillip L. Krumholz - try eBay. The double rings from before WW I are the ones to go for.

MT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Great hamsterboy. Once you get bored, you can do weird stuff like this..

nescafewhisker.jpg

God bless those Nescafé scientists.

Works well, if you use piping hot water, after whisking still very hot, great to use.

I'm new to all this DE shaving but I just ordered one of these online after seeing Mantic59 use it on youtube. It's called a Moss Scuttle and gives you hot lather for every pass. Check out how to use it in Mantic's video at the following link (go to 2 mins 20 secs): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVPqFNObhEI&feature=channel_page

moss-scuttle-1.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cabaal wrote: »
    Hi lads,
    I got a tube of this stuff which is about 99.7% full as I';ve used it for a few shaves and just find it any good compared to Lider or wars for my skin so I don't think I';ll be using it anymore. :(

http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/catalog/Tube-Omega-Shaving-Cream-147g-p-2722.html
    152a631a00fe19f2cdaaa9cb872eabbe.jpg

If somebody wants it your welcome to it...ideally as a swap for a tube of lider or wars would be nice but if not that doesn't matter..

Does anyone want this before I bin it, its going free I'll pay postage.

Cabaal,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

I'll take it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hamsterboy wrote: »
    I'll take it

PM sent,

waraf wrote: »
    I'm new to all this DE shaving but I just ordered one of these online after seeing Mantic59 use it on youtube. It's called a Moss Scuttle and gives you hot lather for every pass.........

Its been posted in this thread before, there expensive enough and work out at about 55e which includes shipping from Canada to Ireland.

I'll be getting one when I can justify it :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its been posted in this thread before....

Apologies for that. It is a very big thread and it has taken ages to get through it all. Having said that it has been well worth the effort but I have spent a fortune online in the last two days as a result. Here's the list:

Merkur HD
    Gillette Super Speed (1957)
    30 Israeli Blades
    Badger hair brush
    Moss Scuttle
    Brush holder
    Taylors Sandalwood shaving cream
    Taylors Sandalwood after shave gel
    Taylors alum block

This thread and Mantic59 have a lot to answer for ;) Can't wait for the post to arrive....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Just got my Merkur Progress and some sample blades today. I've been using the cheap Boots razor as Amalgam posted earlier:
    classicfrontrj6.jpg

The Merkur is no contest, the weight and adjustability of it gives a real solid shave. That plastic thing cut me up easily but the Merkur made it easier to have a more precise and weighty action.

Very happy with my purchase. I also got an alum block, not sure if I nicked myself today but if I did, the alum block sorted that out.\

Actually, the only thing I'm not happy about is the grading on the adjustor on the razor. Fully tight/closed it is set to 2.5 afair, ie: not 1. So I don't get a nice and tidy grading scale (obviously I can tell what setting I like by remembering, but I would have thought that it would be calibrated properly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Just wanna say thanks to Amalgam for the Men-U shaving cream and the Gillette blades - I just started using those blades myself and they are my current "go to" blade so that was doubly appreciated! Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

the only thing I'm not happy about is the grading on the adjustor on the razor.
    Gordon,
    The fixed head part of the razor has a triangle etched on the side while the removable head part of the razor has a line etched on one side.
    One thing you have to rememebr when re-assembling the head is to make sure the triangle on the fixed part of the head must "line up" with the line on the removeable part of the head. If they are not on the same side the settings will be off.

Cheers,
    sombaht

Strange, mine is the wrong way round, if I line up the line with the arrow it seems wrong, but the other way round the tightest setting is just under 1: seemingly correct.

Gordon wrote: »
    Strange, mine is the wrong way round, if I line up the line with the arrow it seems wrong, but the other way round the tightest setting is just under 1: seemingly correct.

Very common with Merkur adjustables especially the Vision series. badgerandblade.com has some tutorials on sorting it out.

Taylors Sandalwood shaving cream

Very nice cream, as are all of the Taylors. Has anyone tried Avocado?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

MediaTank wrote: »
    Very nice cream, as are all of the Taylors. Has anyone tried Avocado?

I've used a full tub of the sandalwood which I liked so much that I bought another.

I currently have a tub of their Eaton College shaving cream, I had hoped it'd be a lighter more modern scent, maybe it's the tub I got but no great
    smell at all.

I have some of their lemon and lime on the way in the post which I'm looking forward to.

I've used a full tub of the sandalwood which I liked so much that I bought another.

I currently have a tub of their Eaton College shaving cream, I had hoped it'd be a lighter more modern scent, maybe it's the tub I got but no great
    smell at all.

I have some of their lemon and lime on the way in the post which I'm looking forward to.

Eton College and Gentlemens creams are old worldy. They have a stong cinnamon and citrus smell to them. Try Lavender or Avocado for somthing modern.

MT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

who007 wrote: »
    Just wanna say thanks to Amalgam for the Men-U shaving cream and the Gillette blades - I just started using those blades myself and they are my current "go to" blade so that was doubly appreciated! Cheers!

You're welcome, glad the items arrived, always a bit worried about sending blades through the post.

There was a fair bit of machine oil on those blades, odd way of presenting them to the customer, blades without wrappers.

---

waraf, if you don't mind me asking, where did you source your shaving goodies from?

---

Gran Hermano, is it a subtle sandalwood? That scent can be powerful.. I'm intrigued.

---

Wilkinson Swords blade with Proraso this morning, oddly, first time I've used that blade brand, sharp, quite a noisy 'skritt skritt' shave. No cuts, no redness ATG. Better than the Personna, not as sharp as a Feather.

wilkinsonproraso.jpg

I've had two tubs of the TOBS sandalwood and they could not have been more different.
    One was runny whilst the other cream was much firmer in the tub and one smelt much stronger.
    It's a nice old school, classic smell and not overpowering. (The Proraso is
    still my favourite to use but not my favourite smell).

RE: the Wilkinsons I tried them a while back and thought they were good
    for the first couple of shaves but went blunt quickly.

I've had two tubs of the TOBS sandalwood and they could not have been more different.
    One was runny whilst the other cream was much firmer in the tub and one smelt much stronger.

The runny one was spolied/out of date :( All of Taylors cream should be pretty stiff, not runny.

There was a fair bit of machine oil on those blades, odd way of presenting them to the customer, blades without wrappers.

If they are the Swedish Gillettes then they come in a heavy duty dispenser this way.

• Advertisement

Any reasonably priced TOBS vendors in Dublin?

Any reasonably prioced TOBS vendors in Dublin?

Haven't seen their stuff on sale here. Of the 3 Ts, the only one I know you can buy is Truefitt & Hill in Nu Blu Eriu (or how ever you spell it). Maybe Harvey Nics?

The runny one was spolied/out of date :( All of Taylors cream should be pretty stiff, not runny.

That's what I thought myself, it was the one bundled with the TOBS brush
    as a gift set on Shaving Shack (they're now out of stock so guess it was
    old stock). The other two TOBS tubs of cream I've ordered are much
    firmer and better.

That's what I thought myself, it was the one bundled with the TOBS brush
    as a gift set on Shaving Shack (they're now out of stock so guess it was
    old stock). The other two TOBS tubs of cream I've ordered are much
    firmer and better.

That would explain it. Most shaving creams made with natural ingredients last for 12 months (one or two for 18) and in some cases less. That's why I didn't go for the 500ml tube of Proraso - I'd never get through it in a year :D

I got bitten by the shopping bug again over the last few days and I should receive a nice parcel of shaving related goodies over the next few days. Apart from stocking up on blades in bulk I ordered the following
    and would be interested if anyone here has opinions/feedback on them:

- Musgo Shave Cream - reviews sound interesting, seems to be another old school product with an unusal (not bad) smell.A Portuguese Proraso?

Taylor Shaving Cream Tube Lemon & Lime - Being a fan of the OneSource
    range of lemon or lime shower gels (that smell sure wakes me up!) I was
    interested to see how the TOBS cream in a tube compares to the tub.
    Might be handier for travelling too.

Proraso liquid aftershave cream - if it's as good as the pre/post shave or the shave cream I'll be a happy chappy.

I'm also expecting the red Personna blades to see how they differ from the blue.

Merkur 34c/HD and Dovo case - I couldnt resist seeing how it compares to a Progress.

The bathroom is slowly morphing into a barbershop at home at this stage. :D

waraf, if you don't mind me asking, where did you source your shaving goodies from?

Merkur HD - shaving-shack.com
    Gillette Super Speed (1957) - ebay USA (43 US dollars incl. delivery - didn't really need it but I like old things and I was bored surfing the web)
    30 Israeli Blades - shaving-shack.com (free with Merkur HD)
    Badger hair brush - sanguinebeauty on ebay.co.uk
    Moss Scuttle - www.sarabonnymanpottery.com/
    Brush holder - Executive-Shaving.co.uk
    Taylors Sandalwood shaving cream - sanguinebeauty on ebay.co.uk
    Taylors Sandalwood after shave gel - Executive-Shaving.co.uk
    Taylors alum block - Executive-Shaving.co.uk

Total spend: approx 195 euro (damn you mastercard lol)

Proraso for shaving cream, though if you want to buy local, just about everywhere will stock Palmolive Classic (Green) shaving cream. Not much of a smell but works well.

This might seem like a stupid question but does the Palmolive Classic (Green) shaving cream that comes in a tube smell the same as the Palmolive Classic (Green) foam that comes in a can?

Very common with Merkur adjustables especially the Vision series. badgerandblade.com has some tutorials on sorting it out.
    I think this is what you mean, meh, I'll leave it be, no biggie. Thanks though.

This might seem like a stupid question but does the Palmolive Classic (Green) shaving cream that comes in a tube smell the same as the Palmolive Classic (Green) foam that comes in a can?

No, there's next to no fragrance, it is a second cousin removed to Palmolive soap.. very very weak, a tad industrial. Low priced in the UK, I think I read it was under £1.

I'd just like to say that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, people turn their noses up at it because it is everywhere and just does what it is meant to. A silky lather that will give you protection during your shave.

Longer to work up a lather than Wars or Proraso, I find it is also a shaving cream that kicks in better on the face than in your shaving mug, so.. once you've massaged and raised the stubble a bit then stop and look at your brush, you'll find a very thick lather present.

Cheers for the purchases listing waraf, I'm just nosey as pie when sniffing out a possible bargain.. ;)

• Advertisement

No, there's next to no fragrance, it is a second cousin removed to Palmolive soap.. very very weak, a tad industrial.

Cheers for the purchases listing waraf, I'm just nosey as pie when sniffing out a possible bargain.. ;)

Darn it. I love the smell of that old Palmolive Classic in a can. It was a real old time barbershop smell. I was really hoping the cream would be the same.

As for the purchases listing Amalgam, I can post up the prices I paid if it helps.

Advertisement