Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Amalgam wrote: »
    Wilkinson Swords blade with Proraso this morning, oddly, first time I've used that blade brand, sharp, quite a noisy 'skritt skritt' shave. No cuts, no redness ATG. Better than the Personna, not as sharp as a Feather.

wilkinsonproraso.jpg

That's the blades you get free with the WS "Classic" that Gordon mentioned, and that I am still using myself.

Have to actually get myself a decent cream though, as the Men-U cream and the "Real Shaving Co." one that was part of the set I got are both fairly rubbish...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Have to actually get myself a decent cream though, as the Men-U cream and the "Real Shaving Co." one that was part of the set I got are both fairly rubbish...

Can't go wrong with Taylor, Trumper or Truefiit & Hill, or for something else Proraso.

Taylor Shaving Cream Tube Lemon & Lime - Being a fan of the OneSource
    range of lemon or lime shower gels (that smell sure wakes me up!) I was
    interested to see how the TOBS cream in a tube compares to the tub.
    Might be handier for travelling too.

It's exacty the same - just easier to measure out. If you plan to have a selection of creams then tubes are the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Where can I get Proraso in a tube? Shaving Shack only has it in a tub, that looks kinda awkward. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    Where can I get Proraso in a tube? Shaving Shack only has it in a tub, that looks kinda awkward. :confused:

Connaught has it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If you're buying the Proraso shave cream, Connaught have the 500 ml tubes in stock and it's a bargain compared to the smaller tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

MediaTank wrote: »
    Yes, you can't take safety razor blades in hand luggage :mad: I bring a disposable for travel.
    I bring everything but the blades. I bring a gillette sensor excel razor and blades too. Then I see in the local supermarket when I get to where I am going to see if they have any blades handy - if not then I still use the brush and cream etc but with the sensor excel razor.

If you're buying the Proraso shave cream, Connaught have the 500 ml tubes in stock and it's a bargain compared to the smaller tube.

Cheers! That'll do! :)

I really should wait until I wake up before I post. I clicked the edit button on your post instead of quote by accident. :o

It'll go off before to get to use it all. Stick with the 150ml tube.

• Advertisement

it goes off? What's in it that goes off?

it goes off? What's in it that goes off?

All (good) natural shaving creams have a shelf life of 12 months or less, due to the ingredients used. Proraso do add some preservative but it will still only last for 12 months once opened. You'd be very unlikey to use anything like 500ml in 12 months.

MT

Ahh right cool. I'll get the smaller tube then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

There's also the slight risk you might not like the Proraso! We're all different in our tastes. Connaught are also doing a two for a special price (Winter special as they call it) with the 150ml Proraso tubes. The tub is fine, you just swipe your brush in it.

Edit: £8 sterling for two. http://connaughtshaving.com/prorasoshavecream.html

Here's another site selling Proraso
    http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/proraso/21/72/1

The have a Proraso starter kit for €16+postage

I must be using more cream than you guys (maybe as I'm also shaving my
    head daily) but I'll be surprised if I get 6 months out of the 500ml.

Hah, he's using around a third of what I do. :pac: There's a bowl there, hard to tell if he face lathered or not.

Useless tidbit of information. Strangely, Erasmic, which a few Dublin chemists sell, comes from Jordan, of all places.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Hah, he's using around a third of what I do. :pac: There's a bowl there, hard to tell if he face lathered or not.

No wonder you buy the 500ml tubes :D

Anyone a MÜHLE user on the forum?

http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/classic/rasierer/3/rasierhobel/77/8/R_106

I've not noticed this model before, been lurking at the site for a while, waiting for an excuse to buy a MÜHLE razor.. I was tempted when I saw one lingering at Knights, lovely handles.

Edit:

Hmm, another one for the list of potential purchases.. La Toja, a brand that got a rave review on Badger & Blade, stumbled across this site offering it in Euro. Price is comparable to Proraso.

A Spanish shaving cream for sensitive skin, extra moisturiser.

Review: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55940

vintagescent.com: http://vintagescent.com/shaving-creams-c-1/la-toja-shaving-cream-for-sensitive-skin-p-10

vintagescent.com seem to stock quite a few brands not listed on Connaught Shaving. Maybe another link for the where to buy wiki.

Was walking down South William St last night, there's a mens grooming shop that sells the full line of Proraso products, if any of you prefer bricks and mortar. I didn't go in, so I don't know what the prices are like.

Another shaving cream to try is Cade by L'Occitane, it's very interesting as the 'active' ingredient is juniper berries!

• Advertisement

Whats the name of the shop MT?

Oh btw... Almalgam just got the 500th post in this thread! :D

Whats the name of the shop MT?

Imaginatively enough - The Grooming Rooms.

Ahhhh I know that place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Ive been outbid for this baby,
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360135259578&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123

Anyone (MT?),
    Is this what these are making, it does look in excellent condition, but at the mo its over the 100 dollar mark. I want to get a fatboy and superspeed.

dbar wrote: »
    Ive been outbid for this baby,
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360135259578&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123

Anyone (MT?),
    Is this what these are making, it does look in excellent condition, but at the mo its over the 100 dollar mark. I want to get a fatboy and superspeed.

You're paying for the shine at that price. Try http://cgi.ebay.ie/Old-GILLETTE-Adjustable-1-9-Safety-Razor-2_W0QQitemZ280317084436QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Barber_Shop_Collectables_LE?hash=item280317084436&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Imaginatively enough - The Grooming Rooms.

I was just looking at their site:
    http://www.thegroomingrooms.com/retail.php?p=3

dbar, have you had a look on ebay.pl for the Fatboys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

People should really try out the merkur slant bars as you can use them with a less sharp blade and still get as good as good a shave without he irritation of a really sharp blade. The blade is slightly bent (because of the shape of the razor head) so it slices each whisker at an angle instead of chopping straight through.

axer wrote: »
    People should really try out the merkur slant bars as you can use them with a less sharp blade and still get as good as good a shave without he irritation of a really sharp blade. The blade is slightly bent (because of the shape of the razor head) so it slices each whisker at an angle instead of chopping straight through.

I have one. The blade is held as normal, but the safety bar is bent, this gives a bigger gap (more agressive shave) on one end of each side of the razor. I found that you need to use the lightest touch with this razor otherwise you will cut yourself.

• Advertisement

I have one. The blade is held as normal, but the safety bar is bent, this gives a bigger gap (more agressive shave) on one end of each side of the razor. I found that you need to use the lightest touch with this razor otherwise you will cut yourself.
    yep, i meant the safety bar. I find it excellent even with the less sharp blades. I generally use it day-to-day (well every 2 or so days) with a feather though because my beard is like wire. What is your main razor?

Advertisement