Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

DamoElDiablo, nice, what does the shaving cream smell like, any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's a mild, pleasant scent, I really don't know what I could compare it to though!
    It made a nice creamy lather almost effortlessly. I face-lather, and had no problem with the brush either, which confused me with the review of the brush on badger and blade, where they said it wasn't much good for face-latherers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

In case anyone is wondering how to dispose of the used blades safely...
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=54746

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

dbar wrote: »

Nice.

I just use an old jar. I've got 3 years worth of blades in it, with room for another 5, and it's not a big jar!

I suppose the added benifit with using a can is that you can just drop the thing into the recycling bin when you're done, as it should all be recyclable, whereas with the jar you'd have to seperate the blades and the jar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Just arrived in the post:

Gillette Super Speed
    Pure badger brush
    Taylor's Sandalwood shaving cream

Right so, I'm off for my frst DE shave. Will report back shortly. I wish the alum block I ordered had arrived before now....

MediaTank,
    Im too lazy to dig through this loooooooong thread, you have a 1940's Gillette (blank), what is it again? and by the way is it time to split off a seperate thread for vintage stuff a 'show and tell', buy and sell jobbie as there seems to be a lot of interest.

You can start us off with pics of your vintage stuff:D

waraf wrote: »
    Right so, I'm off for my frst DE shave. Will report back shortly. I wish the alum block I ordered had arrived before now....

Ok thoughts on my frst DE shave:

1. Wow I didn't decapitate myself
    2. Arghhhh razor burn
    3. Thank the lord for after shave balm.
    4. I need practise.

Ok in all seriousness I am amazed. I don't think I've ever had a shave as close as this in my life. It did take 5 passes but the first two don't really count cause I kept mising my face with the blade due to the fact that I was holding the razor at the wrong angle. I thought that I was going to cut my face to bits but I only ended up with a couple of minor nicks on my neck (which I didn't even feel during the shave). The Gilllette Super Speed appears to be very easy to use (i.e. not aggressive) and very forgiving for the complete novice. Taylor's sandalwood cram whips up into a lather in no time. The smell wasn't really to my liking - very soap like which I wasn't expecting. All in all though I'm am very impressed with this DE shaving lark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Congrats waraf, you're sounding converted.
    If you're doing 5 passes you'll really need to lather well between passes.
    From what I've read the Super speed is not aggressive and rather forgiving, sounds like a good one to learn on.

I remember too well how after my first DE shave I too was thinking,
    "that's not as scary as I thought it'd be" as well as "great shave".

Quick edit to add: what blade did you use? (Apols if I missed you mentioning it)

Ok in all seriousness I am amazed. I don't think I've ever had a shave as close as this in my life. It did take 5 passes but the first two don't really count cause I kept mising my face with the blade due to the fact that I was holding the razor at the wrong angle. I thought that I was going to cut my face to bits but I only ended up with a couple of minor nicks on my neck (which I didn't even feel during the shave). The Gilllette Super Speed appears to be very easy to use (i.e. not aggressive) and very forgiving for the complete novice. All in all though I'm am very impressed with this DE shaving lark.

Sounds good. Stick to 2 passes for now, until you get your technique down pat.

• Advertisement

MediaTank,
    Im too lazy to dig through this loooooooong thread, you have a 1940's Gillette (blank), what is it again? and by the way is it time to split off a seperate thread for vintage stuff a 'show and tell', buy and sell jobbie as there seems to be a lot of interest.

You can start us off with pics of your vintage stuff:D

I'll fire up the digital SLR later :)

MediaTank wrote: »
    Sounds good. Stick to 2 passes for now, until you get your technique down pat.

Yeah I remember Mantic saying that on one of his videos alright but I'm way too impatient for that. I went straight onto blade-buffing on my fifth pass :D

Yeah I remember Mantic saying that on one of his videos alright but I'm way too impatient for that. I went straight onto blade-buffing on my fifth pass :D

Ouch!

MediaTank wrote: »
    Ouch!

Funnily enough it wasn't sore at all. Apart from a tiny bit of tenderness on one spot on my neck I'm actually fine. The razor burn was gone in ten minutes too. My face must be dead hard (in contrast to the rest of me ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

While you're talking scents, I just wanted to ask the thread what shaving cream do you think smells the most old-timey? (i.e. like the smell of shaving cream you'd get in an old barbershop)

I really like Tabac. Although you have to use more cream to get it nice and rich, compared with Taylors for example. But I love this old timers fragrance it leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

probably the only time anyyone on boards talks any scents ;)

Just curious, what 'wish lists' have other members got?

On my list to buy at some point, in no particular order.

Gillette Tech. I love the low profile head, meant to be a mild shaver though. Bakelite or metal shaft, military or non military issue. I'll grab whatever I can. Not as 'fashionable' as other Gillettes, you can get them mint quite easily for a fair price, hovering around $15 to $25-$30 tops, boxed. The box the WWII version supplied to troops comes in is a delight. There's also a civilian and military version from WWI, presented in a hard canvas case.

Gillette 'New'. A mighty beast, very hefty. Open comb though, which I fear.. Prices are low to fair, they are often quite scuffed.

Gillette Super Adjustable. Lovely lovely shaft on this, black pastic with a diamond engraved pattern, long and short version. Late 60's version has a full metal razor head, the underside is metal. The version from the early 80's has a plastic underside, everything else about the head is metal. Identical in character to the 'Fatboy', but pops up mint and boxed for about $25-$45. Push comes to shove I would get this over a Fatboy.

Gillette 'Fatboy'. Overpriced at the moment, I feel. You just need to shave after all.. I would probably plump for a second hand one.

---

If money was no object..

Gillette Aristocrat & Gillette President Lovely diagonal milled pattern on the shaft, stumpy, plain, but in a subdued class kind of way. If I have money to piss up a wall at some point, I will probably get one.

Oddities..

Eclipse Red Ring. Lovely razor, probably English. A unique head and a beautiful bakelite box.

That's about it, used to shave, not big into just staring at something on a shelf, boxed.

I'm still debating whether to get a used, good as new (in box with instructions, etc) or old but replated/rechromed when I get around to picking up a couple of vintage razors.

I'm contemplating these two as a starting point:
    Fat Boy
    Slim Boy

I like the 195 but they are silly money and I'm not sure why I like them - maybe the rarity!

The Rockets look interesting as do some of the English made razors from the same time as the Fatboy.
    I've also seen some interesting military issued shaving kits that look
    interesting but couldn't see myself actually using.
    Am tempted to go for this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/GILLETTE-ROCKET-CASE-BLADE-HOLDER-INSTRUCTIONS-MINT_W0QQitemZ120386872505QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item120386872505&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

As several have said, the prices on B&B and Shave Den are much better than ebay.

I like the 195 but they are silly money and I'm not sure why I like them - maybe the rarity!

[cheesy grin] :) That seller.. the one selling the 195, the amount of aggro and flak he has got on Badger & Blade.. Selling a few 'Fran-ken-razors' on eBay. Basically one type with another bit bolted on, from another razor. Also stuff with visible cracks in the handle and seemingly, solder or welding marks!

Here you go:

It was listed as a normal sale at one point, but with this, he's probably just listing it to give a big F--- Y-- to the various forums that were reporting him en masse, to eBay.

• Advertisement

They buyer bought it with his first post on B&B, there's hope for us all!
    You'll find me doing cartwheels if I pick up a bargain like that.

I think I'll stick to B&B's and the Shaving Den's "For Sale" sections
    not only to avoid the mad prices elsewhere but also less less likely to
    get a dodgy razor. Pity some of the sellers on the fora ship CONUS only.

Yeah,
    What does that mean? I assume US - Canada only?

Continental United States, usually excluding Alaska and Hawaii. 50 states.

UPDATE: Smyths toys are selling piggy banks that are basically big Cans with a slot in the top for coins, the beauty is; they cant be opened without a tin opener so basically its a sealed tin, I got the Cars one for 3 yoyos. It will last forever and a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Are the vintage razors really worth the money being asked? The one in the link below for example seems to be priced fairly high compared to say a Merkur Progress. Whats the extra cash actually getting you? A better brand? Better build quality? Or is to simply the fact that it is rare?

Not having a dig or anything, just genuinely curious.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/1958-Fatboy-Gillette-1-9-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-D-4_W0QQitemZ360136907560QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360136907560&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

sombaht wrote: »
    Are the vintage razors really worth the money being asked? The one in the link below for example seems to be priced fairly high compared to say a Merkur Progress. Whats the extra cash actually getting you? A better brand? Better build quality? Or is to simply the fact that it is rare?

Not having a dig or anything, just genuinely curious.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/1958-Fatboy-Gillette-1-9-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-D-4_W0QQitemZ360136907560QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360136907560&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Cheers,
    sombaht
    They are far from necessary.

Many people that start DE shaving really get into it and end up spending a fortune on stuff (but then again probably no more than if they continued to use a mach3). I have only ever bought 3 razors - a wilkinsons sword DE razor (didnt know any better at the time), a merkur progress (learned how to de shave using this but have never used it since) and a merkur slant bar (my main razor since it works so well).

sombaht wrote: »

They are just desirable. People like them and buy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Just noticed that the razor above is very similar to the one I had my first ever shave with. It was my dads and the head of it was pretty similar but the handle was a mustard colour and of some sort of plastic material. I've tried googling it before but never found it, anyone know what I'm talking about ?

If it was like this:
    progress.jpg
    then it was a Merkur Progress, but I'm probably way wrong here though...

• Advertisement

I also thought of the Progress when I heard the description of similar head
    but cream plastic on handle.

Advertisement