Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Nah, the entire handle was palsticky and ribbed (not like the current plastic DEs, it had a nice solid feel)and of the mustard colour and I'm pretty sure it was either a Gillette or Wilkinson, no fancy German engineering for my dad back whenever or where ever he bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Jip wrote: »
    Nah, the entire handle was palsticky and ribbed (not like the current plastic DEs, it had a nice solid feel)and of the mustard colour and I'm pretty sure it was either a Gillette or Wilkinson, no fancy German engineering for my dad back whenever or where ever he bought it.

Most likely a Wilkinson then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I got a message back from Truefitt & Hill to say they dont ship to ireland (was looking for sampler packs from website).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

sombaht wrote: »
    Are the vintage razors really worth the money being asked? The one in the link below for example seems to be priced fairly high compared to say a Merkur Progress. Whats the extra cash actually getting you? A better brand? Better build quality? Or is to simply the fact that it is rare?

Not having a dig or anything, just genuinely curious.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/1958-Fatboy-Gillette-1-9-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-D-4_W0QQitemZ360136907560QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360136907560&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Cheers,
    sombaht

I think that's overpriced for that one razor.. At a guess, I'd say it has been replated too.

Prices on B&B are hovering around 80-90, boxed, with the instructions sealed in the plastic with the blades. Even then, the sale thread is hanging around a day or so.

Enough whingeing.

Urge to buy an open comb rising..

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

It does seem to be a popular razor, quite a few on ebay, though not all at that price!. I did think it was a bit excessive given that it is just the razor, no box, no instructions, no blades.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    I got a message back from Truefitt & Hill to say they dont ship to ireland (was looking for sampler packs from website).

If you are in Dublin try popping in to Nu Blue Eriu who sell the range and ask for samples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Somthing odd going on there, I ordered 2 sets off the US site
    on Monday. Order was accepted and they mailed me the following:

Thank you for your order. We will shortly have the sample pack back in stock
    and will dispatch as soon as it is available - approx two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

I just got a reply from them today to say they wont ship to Ireland and have refunded my money, how hard is to put up on the site 'ship to USA' only.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I was having a look on t'interweb for shaving brushes earlier and I came across a guy selling some of his collection of super badger shaving brushes on ebay USA. It looks like some of them are top of the line silver tip brushes but he mentions in the text that they're all used. Using a brush that another bloke has used seems a bit weird to me. What do you reckon?

Sorry I can't post a link at the minute cause ebay is blocked on the network I'm on at the moment

waraf wrote: »
    I was having a look on t'interweb for shaving brushes earlier and I came across a guy selling some of his collection of super badger shaving brushes on ebay USA. It looks like some of them are top of the line silver tip brushes but he mentions in the text that they're all used. Using a brush that another bloke has used seems a bit weird to me. What do you reckon?

Sorry I can't post a link at the minute cause ebay is blocked on the network I'm on at the moment
    I wouldn't like the idea tbh. Fancy smancy brushes can be useful in that they could produce a lather quicker but alot of the time they just have expensive handles. The brush I have is about 1 and a bit years old. I bought it from muehle-shaving.com. I may have spent nearly 100 euro on it but that was after about 2 years of shaving with a cheaper silver tipped badger brush (maybe spent about 40 euro on it or something). My point is use what your using for now and when you know you will keep shaving using de razors then buy a new more expensive brush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I wouldn't like the idea tbh. Fancy smancy brushes can be useful in that they could produce a lather quicker but alot of the time they just have expensive handles. The brush I have is about 1 and a bit years old. I bought it from muehle-shaving.com. I may have spent nearly 100 euro on it but that was after about 2 years of shaving with a cheaper silver tipped badger brush (maybe spent about 40 euro on it or something). My point is use what your using for now and when you know you will keep shaving using de razors then buy a new more expensive brush.

Oh I wasn't looking to buy I was just looking. Lord knows I've spent a small fortune on this so called cheaper method of shaving already ;)

waraf wrote: »
    Using a brush that another bloke has used seems a bit weird to me. What do you reckon?

Pefectly OK once they are cleaned and sterilised. If you buy one you should clean it yourself too.

MT

Feeding frenzy, http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1051626#post1051626

Says he will ship to Ireland (if people are happy with no insurance), I've asked for a few...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

B&B threads on shaving brush sterilization

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=78591

Seems the fungal threat is higher than an infection. (pics included)

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46318

Obligatory Mantic video link..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dRVZz83ago&feature=channel

What would a household equivalent be for Barbicide? Diluted Milton? (for baby bottle sterilization)

Amalgam wrote: »
    B&B threads on shaving brush sterilization

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=78591

Seems the fungal threat is higher than an infection. (pics included)

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46318

Obligatory Mantic video link..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dRVZz83ago&feature=channel

What would a household equivalent be for Barbicide? Diluted Milton? (for baby bottle sterilization)
    I believe you can buy barbicide in Ireland.

Here is an online shop selling it in ireland (have no idea who they are)
    http://hairandbeauty-ireland.ie/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=88_50&products_id=1273

dbar wrote: »
    Feeding frenzy, http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1051626#post1051626

Says he will ship to Ireland (if people are happy with no insurance), I've asked for a few...

I spotted what I thought was yourself posting the question I was just about to ask! That's some list you PM'd the seller looking to reserve.

The time difference could work in our favour spotting good deals before America wakes up properly.

I'm holding out for a Fat Boy or Slim Boy in a case.

I see Sluggo is selling off the monster collection he picked up in small lots, first sold tody. The collection he bought
    had some nice razors, hopefully I'll catch one of his smaller lots.
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=80044

I spotted what I thought was yourself posting the question I was just about to ask! That's some list you PM'd the seller looking to reserve.

The time difference could work in our favour spotting good deals before America wakes up properly.

I'm holding out for a Fat Boy or Slim Boy in a case.

I see Sluggo is selling off the monster collection he picked up in small lots, first sold tody. The collection he bought
    had some nice razors, hopefully I'll catch one of his smaller lots.
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=80044

Yep, 65 us shipped for the 4. Gonna keep 2 and resell 2 to anyone interested here for d same price.

dbar, I'm blaming you for my latest purchase!

I've just mailed for a price on the 3 remaining SuperSpeeds. :D
    I'm curious how the older razor compares to the modern Merkurs
    and I've a number of friends/family who I can pass a couple to
    as they're interested in what the fuss over DE shaving is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Dbar-keep me posted on the ones your looking to offload. I'd be interested in one, and would help split the shipping with you too.

Dbar-keep me posted on the ones your looking to offload. I'd be interested in one, and would help split the shipping with you too.

No worries lads, its good fun isnt it :D
    He only charged me 6 bucks for delivery...

• Advertisement

Lads,
    I am finding my vulfix brush a bit soft to work with, especially with soap, I was reading a thread on b&b and they were recommending Omega or Rooney, anyone got any ideas about this?

Oh, I also want to try tabac soap, has anyone used this as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭piaget

Have read through all this thread and am glad to see I am not the only eccentric using a DE razor. Use a Merkur I got from the Waldorf barber a few years now usually with Wilkinson or Gillette Platinum blades. Have ordered a sample blade pack and creams from Connaught after some good feedback on this forum. I will let you know how I get on. My only tip to people starting is to get a really good brush, I have a Simpson Super Badger the last 7 or so years and it was the first thing I bought. It made all the difference even using cartridge blades and gel.

PS- love all those vintage Gillette razors you guys have

piaget wrote: »
    PS- love all those vintage Gillette razors you guys have

I'll be posting pictures of mine in the other thread over the weekend - stay tuned.

MT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Just had another shave with my HD and Proraso!!

My god it has never failed to put me in a good mood!! Only did two passes but I'm grinning from ear to ear all over again!!

If you're reading this thread for the first time, MAKE THE MOVE TO DOUBLE EDGE SHAVING!! For about 30e you can get a razor,soaps and a brush!!
    This will save you a fortune on those over hyped mach 3 blades, and bring back the joy and art of shaving.....
    you won't be disappointed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BBE

Spent about the last 2 weeks reading through this thread and finally bit the bullet after all the positive comments...

Just ordered:

Styptic Pencil
    Merkur Plastic Travel Case
    Shaving Brush Drip Stand
    Merkur 570 Chrome "Progress" Safety Razor
    Pure Badger Shaving Brush
    Proraso Pre and Post Shave Cream (100ml)
    10 Feather & 10 Derby Extra & 10 Israeli Made Double Edged Razor Blades
    Taylor of Old Bond St Shaving Cream (Lemon & Lime 150g)
    Taylor Of Old Bond St Lavender Soap and Bowl
    30 Israeli Made Double Edged Razor Blades

I wanted to go for the Proraso shaving Cream but was out of stock on Shaving Shack..

Am i missing anything from this list....???

Hopefully this will be delivered before the end of the week...

BBE wrote: »
    Am i missing anything from this list....???

Looks good to me.

MediaTank wrote: »
    Looks good to me.

I placed the Order last night (Sunday 15th)

What are the chances of having the delivery before the weekend..??

Cheers

BBE wrote: »
    I placed the Order last night (Sunday 15th)

What are the chances of having the delivery before the weekend..??

Cheers

Can't say for sure , but Friday should be doable if they posted them on Monday. Depends on which postal service is used.

• Advertisement

MediaTank wrote: »
    Can't say for sure , but Friday should be doable if they posted them on Monday. Depends on which postal service is used.

I think it was the standard mail but I guess with Paddys day tomorrow, the best I could hope for would be next week

Definitely counting down the days though....so long Mach 3 cartridges.....

Advertisement