Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Another Donkeyload of stuff arrived this morning from Connaught, Proraso shave cream tube, Proraso pre-post cream, Proraso soap/ cream in a bowl? TOBS bottle Sandlewood aftershave and Soap refill, loads of Crystal, Feather and Merkur Blades. Tabac,speic Soap and a No.49 Omega Brush on the way.
    Also arrived!
    Shaving Mug off ebay and.....
    My Gillette Fatboy off ebay, the crazily overpriced one. However, it looks brand new, even beside my Progress.
    Christmas!
    I can no longer Pretend this is a money saving exercise...

Does anyone know if I can Sterilise the Fatboy using the baby steam Steriliser or will it damage the finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

dbar wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I can Sterilise the Fatboy using the baby steam Steriliser or will it damage the finish?

You won't need to, just rinse before use. The razor is 'shave ready'.

Have you seen this thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055510854 Look at the amount of guys who hate shaving. If only they knew :D Anyone want to tell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

MediaTank wrote: »
    Have you seen this thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055510854 Look at the amount of guys who hate shaving. If only they knew :D Anyone want to tell?

Educating the masses on AH is futile, I tried on the last coffee and shaving thread over there!

The amount of people who hate shaving because it 'gives them a rash'
    really highlights how many people shave badly.

Postie just delivered my samples from Geo F Trumper, all very nicely packaged.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The amount of people who hate shaving because it 'gives them a rash'
    really highlights how many people shave badly.

was certainly one of my reasons for hating shaving, now I generally look forward to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Postie just delivered my samples from Geo F Trumper, all very nicely packaged.
    received mine there too with a nice little sack to put them all into.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

dbar wrote: »
    I can no longer Pretend this is a money saving exercise...
    :)

Gentlemen, there is an interesting video doing the rounds on the usual
    sites which may be of particular interest to us shavers.

It's called "Secrets of Shaving" and is a release from National Geographic.

I've just watched it and it's an interesting history of shaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Any chance of a link GH? I've found plenty of torrents but if you have a streaming or direct download link I'd appreciate it.

Today's conundrum, how do I combine my two current vices in life, coffee and shaving?

A 'Jesus Shaves' mug, the ultimate in tackiness!

http://www.philosophersguild.com/index.lasso?page_mode=Product_Detail&item=0981

• Advertisement

I've just watched it and it's an interesting history of shaving.

I watched it some time ago, and to me it seemed like an ad for Gillette.:(

axer wrote: »
    received mine there too with a nice little sack to put them all into.

Whats in the sack?

MediaTank wrote: »
    Whats in the sack?
    Small samples of each of their creams, skin foods and colognes.

Small samples of each of their creams, skin foods and colognes.

Nice.

Well after a week on Badger and Blade, I now have the following in the post:

Several Superspeeds - one a TV special
    Fat Boy boxed
    Slim adjustable boxed

I've also ordered from Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leisureguys-Guide-Gourmet-Shaving-Enjoyable/dp/143032807X

That's hopefully my shaving purchases for this week done!

I'll post up pics in the vintage thread once the postie delivers.

PS: I'm seeing several new members on B&B from this neck of the woods ;)

Well after a week on Badger and Blade, I now have the following in the post:

Several Superspeeds - one a TV special
    Fat Boy boxed
    Slim adjustable boxed

I've also ordered from Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leisureguys-Guide-Gourmet-Shaving-Enjoyable/dp/143032807X

Cool, I don't have boxes for my Gillette's other than the Stubby. The first printing of Michael's book was with a vanity press, so he must have sold a bunch of copies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Had my first shave with the Fatboy and an IP blade last night. Used Proraso soap and cream, so all firsts except the blade.
    Hummed over the setting, 1-9, I use a 1 on my progress, which is 1-5, so I figured a 2 would be roughly equal.
    Absolutely beautiful shave, the setting and blade worked very well, I was able to fly after the first pass, no cuts whatsoever. Very pleased.
    After a while I noticed that the cut was getting very agressive, the gates holding the blade down had slightly loosened. Re-tighented - no worries.
    Very happy with the Fat boy.
    Incoming - 2 superspeeds and 2 techs also some tabac soap, a new brush and a speic shaving stick.
    All good!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

just shaved with an Astra superior blade...wow, i can't believe how smooth it shaved, better than the merkurs or feathers imo! Not the closest shave but i thought there wasn't a blade in the razor at first, which given that I hadnt shaved since sunday night is quite something.

The only other difference was that I didnt blast my chin with really hot water in the shower beforehand as the immersion hadnt been on for long, so I'm guessing its the blade...gonna use the rest of the Astra pack from here on and see how it goes

Lads, I have two spare unopened tubes of Wars shaving cream. I bought a pack of four on Polish ebay and there's no way I'll get through them all before they go off. If anyone would like them just send me a PM with your address and I'll pop them in the post to you.

And the winners are.... Andrewh5 and Hamsterboy. Sorry everyone else but you were too slow ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx21nomi
    Just bought myself a slim adjustable -30e delivered. Photo doesn't do it justice, can't wait for it to arrive!!
    Needed something to pick me up-my finals started today :(

• Advertisement

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx21nomi
    Just bought myself a slim adjustable -30e delivered. Photo doesn't do it justice, can't wait for it to arrive!!
    Needed something to pick me up-my finals started today :(

Nice! How old is it CF? Good luck with your finals (mine start in a little over two weeks :eek:)

On a separate note, I just used Proraso pre/post shave cream and I have to say.....WTF? It's the same as rubbing Vick's Vaporub on your face!! When is this sensation going to go away?

waraf wrote: »
    On a separate note, I just used Proraso pre/post shave cream and I have to say.....WTF? It's the same as rubbing Vick's Vaporub on your face!! When is this sensation going to go away?
    It is supposed to be like that.

It is supposed to be like that.

Thanks Axer I gathered that. I just don't like the sensation on my face.

waraf wrote: »
    Thanks Axer I gathered that. I just don't like the sensation on my face.

I use it daily both as a pre and post-shave (great when you've a head cold!).
    I leave it on for about 3 minutes each time and then rinse it off
    as I find it too heavy to leave on my skin as a post shave balm.
    I left it on one night after a late shave and was outdoors when it was
    snowing/freezing, boy did the menthol add to the chilling effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

It has I 3 stamped underneath, from what I can gather-its a late 1963 slim adjustable, according to this....http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm#1950
    Looking forward to evening having it, and boring people with "its twice as old as me and still works!!"
    The proraso is a bit strong at times, but it does the job nicely!! havn't used the post shave balm - I just use some 'silcocks base', stuff i have left over from when I had bad eczema. Its great for moisturizing after a shave and only cost 3 or 4e for a tub I've had for nearly 4-6 years!! Not even half way through it!
    It is a bit greasy but you just wipe it off before you go out, or in my case leave it on all night-im a night shaver!

It is a bit greasy but you just wipe it off before you go out, or in my case leave it on all night-im a night shaver!

Try Trumpers Skin Food or if you can find it Art Of Shaving balm - both much lighter products, and will be better for your freshly shaved skin.

MT

Another link to a UK based site I've noticed getting good praise for the vintage stock, they also offer re-plated vintage razors.
    http://www.safetyrazors.co.uk/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=3

Prices on the new Merkurs is competitive and the vintage prices seems
    comparable to elsewhere if not cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Have you ever had a great shave and.. forgotten what blade was in your razor that day?

I had a great blue shadow shave today and didn't have a clue what was doing the cutting duties..

Pleasantly surprised to find it was a Crystal Platinum Plus (Israeli Personna). Shaving cream: Proraso.

---

My Mum goes into the Antiques Fair every year, at the RDS. I asked her to have a gander for safety razors this time, she didn't spot any, but curiously, said there was a lot of 'antique tools', as in, toolbox stuff.

Amalgam wrote: »
    My Mum goes into the Antiques Fair every year, at the RDS. I asked her to have a gander for safety razors this time, she didn't spot any, but curiously, said there was a lot of 'antique tools', as in, toolbox stuff.

There never are - I've tried. The occasional straight razor at a stupid price but that's it.

• Advertisement

New 5% off code for the shaving shack

5% Discount Voucher (excluding p&p) expires 30/03/2009

This is a site wide coupon so can be used on any of our products. We stock Truefitt & Hill, Taylors, Parker, Merkur, Mitchells Wool Fat, Simpsons, Progress Vulfix and much more!

Simply add the items to your basket, type the coupon code below into the Coupon Code box on the basket page and click the "submit" button to apply the discount.

DISC5D

I've used the yellow Gillette 7 o'clock sharps for my last few shaves
    and whilst I found the Feathers a tad too sharp these are almost as
    sharp without any tugging. I,ll be stocking up on them in bulk soon!
    http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28619

(Squire has reviews on most blades here:
    http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29705)

Here's another list of shaving links I came across this weekend:
    http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2007/04/04/book-links-second-edition/

Advertisement