Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Amalgam wrote: »
    Is that up near Captain America's, more or less beside their entrance?

Yes, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Received from a relative today, word gets around..

kappussc.jpg

Very odd scent, a bit 'Tom's of Maine' in attitude, plant like, not at all fragrant. Imagine breaking open the stem of a Dandelion and having a sniff.. that's as close as you'd get, with a hint of fennel.

I've not been able to find a single revue for this version, but the other versions from the same company get the thumbs up, generally. The brand is from Germany, the tube was purchased in Barcelona.

Edit: Connaught Shaving stock it: http://connaughtshaving.com/kappusaloe.html

I also got a large can (unfortunately) of, 'La Toja', a very milky shaving foam, it smells gorgeous, very much typical of a strong Spanish scent. Sweet and flowery. If the can is anything to go by, I'll try and track down a tube of it.

Here's a Badger & Blade review of the shaving cream (sensitive version)

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55940

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Amalgam, http://vintagescent.com stock La Toja.

Based on how much I like Proraso and Musgo, I know I'll be looking
    at the old-school Spanish offering next.

Gran Hermano, I think I linked them before.. They're out in Spain, according to a review on Badger & Blade.

I'll give them a go with the next top up on the 3V card..

Gran Hermano, I think I linked them before.. They're out in Spain, according to a review on Badger & Blade.

I'll give them a go with the next top up on the 3V card..

Between B&B and this monster thread I'm loosing track of what was
    recommended where and by whom :confused:

I'm fighting the urge to fill up some online shopping baskets with what I
    call the old school European products (Proraso, Musgo, La Toja, Omega, Arko,Sir Irisch Moos, etc.).
    I'm not sure whether the reviews on B&B are biased due to the Americans
    putting them on a pedestal due to the lack of availability across the pond.

This Dutch shop seems to have a good selection:
    http://www.winkelplein.nu/barbershopsuply/

Apols if already linked earlier ;)

• Advertisement

This Dutch shop seems to have a good selection:
    http://www.winkelplein.nu/barbershopsuply/

Apols if already linked earlier ;)

That shop, noticed this picture..

gillettethinplaat.jpg

Apparently it is the only Safety Razor Gillette still manufacture, for a 'foreign market', possibly Eastern Europe, judging by the visible text. I noticed someone selling one on Badger & Blade today.

copyof82771p.jpg

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=82135

Odd, I wonder how it opens up, possibly like the Egyptian 'Lord' razors, the head just flips over, it doesn't look like a TTO. (turn to open)

Received from a relative today, word gets around..

Very odd scent, a bit 'Tom's of Maine' in attitude, plant like, not at all fragrant. Imagine breaking open the stem of a Dandelion and having a sniff.. that's as close as you'd get, with a hint of fennel.

I've not been able to find a single revue for this version, but the other versions from the same company get the thumbs up, generally. The brand is from Germany, the tube was purchased in Barcelona.

I have a tube of this bought in Germany - see the Vintage Razor thread. I don't like it makes a very thin lather.

I'm fighting the urge to fill up some online shopping baskets with what I
    call the old school European products (Proraso, Musgo, La Toja, Omega, Arko,Sir Irisch Moos, etc.).

They are all interesting products and I've tried most of them. I've tried a bunch from the Middle East too. However, IMHO the three T's still prodcuce the best shaving creams you can buy.

MT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

About 2 weeks ago I had my first shave with a safety razor (merkur progress). I had a few tiny cuts after the shave but v.happy with results nonetheless. Since then I have had another 3 shaves and getting better and better with it.

This morning I changed from the merkur blade I got with the razor to one of the free blades I received with my shaving-shack order. There is a hugh difference imo between the quality of the blades, so much so that I think I am going to just keep those blades as emergency blades if I ever run out and order myself some new ones.

So I was happy with the merkur blade I got with the razor so would have no problems ordering them again, but I might try a blade sampler pack first and experiment over my next few shaves.

Are there any blades similar to the merkur ones that you would recommend over merkur blades?

Also, do people rinse their face with cold water or warm water after shave?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

The first shave I had with a safety razor (also a Progress) was with a Derby blade, Apart from a few minor nicks I was very happy with teh blade. I switched to a merkur blade about a fortnight later and the results were disasterous!, More cuts, tugging, redness etc. Very disappointed with the results. Swapped back to a Derby and everything was back to normal. Some people swear by Merkur, but for me they do me no favours. I guess everybodies face/skin is different and a good blade for one person may not be so great for another.
    I also tried the Israeli Personna this week and have to say they come a VERY close second to the Derbys.
    Connaught shaving do a good sample pack http://www.connaughtshaving.com/popular.html £7.90 for 35 blades, excellent value.

As for the water I rinse with cold water myself.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

tw0nk wrote: »
    Also, do people rinse their face with cold water or warm water after shave?
    I rinse with warm water first to get rid of the shaving cream and then with cold water to close the pores.

axer wrote: »
    I rinse with warm water first to get rid of the shaving cream and then with cold water to close the pores.

That's the recommended way. You can then optionally use an alum block to help close the pores, and then finish with balm or skin food if needed.

Thanks, I think I will try that sampler pack out, as said before different blades seem to suit different people, anyone know what the blades are that come free as gift from shaving shack? I want to avoid those in the future when ordering. Also its a pity shaving shack have such a small selection of blades when compared to Connaught shaving, I have ordered everything from shaving shack so far and would like to stick with them.

As a side note, the way I shave is as follows:

Pre-shave: Warm water over face, sometimes soak small towel in warm water and warm face with it.

Mix up some Proraso soap with small bit of water in a cup

1. Brush soap lather on face
    2. Shave with grain one pass
    3. Brush soap lather on face
    4. Shave against grain
    5. Brush soap lather on parts of face that need another pass
    6. Shave remaining places

Post-Shave: Cold water on face. Sometimes apply moisturiser/balm

Post shave for me is a mixture of these:

Proraso post shave - leave on a couple of minutes (whilst putting away shaving gear)
    Warm water
    Cold water
    Alum block or witch hazel - leave on skin a couple of minutes (normally whilst brushing teeth)
    Cold water rinse
    Clinique or Proraso aftershave balm

Probably overkill for most but works for me.

Probably overkill for most but works for me.

Sounds sensible to me.

E2 Fatboy and I1 Slim arrived today, along with several others!

I'm grinning like a cat that got the cream. :):):)
    Just need to see if this cat still grinning after the next trim of the whiskers.

Gran Hermano, how do you find the Gillette Slim Adjustable in the hand? You can still get them in great condition for quite low prices, I'm tempted.

Gran Hermano, how do you find the Gillette Slim Adjustable in the hand? You can still get them in great condition for quite low prices, I'm tempted.

I haven't tried the Slim yet, the Fatboy has kept me busy.

You know the cheeky grin on your face as you drive home from the garage
    in the new car you've always wanted, or maybe the smile on your face
    as you head home the next morn after bedding the woman of your dreams? Well that's how I'm feeling about the Fatboy :D

I really did not want to like it and ordered it hoping I'd be happy with the
    Merkurs. I even changed what I was ordering and got a good but not
    mint/boxed one as I thought I'd try it an not like it. Boy was I wrong!
    It handles like a dream and after two shaves with a red Personna
    and the FatBoy set to 5 I couldn't be happier. I now know I'm going to end up picking up a few more! The Fat Boy gives me a much better shave than the Super Speeds, it feels closer to the shave from a Progress.

I hope to give the Slim a shot when I change blades tomorrow, the one
    thing I was surprised by is just how similar it looks to the FatBoy.
    The difference size wise is smaller than I had thought.

Check these guys out, based in NZ http://www.goodfella.com/collection.html

that looks pretty cool alright, like the way each one is individually numbered

• Advertisement

MediaTank wrote: »
    Check these guys out, based in NZ http://www.goodfella.com/collection.html

I was close to getting a satin black one second hand. They are (apparently) milder than they look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Are they available second hand?

Badger & Blade B\S\T.. One or two cropped up when I first started lurking. Handle is quite slippy.

Just a quickie as still swamped in work, I tried the Gillette Slim last night.
    I found it very similar to the shave from the Fatboy. The only thing that
    annoys me about it is I find the handle too narrow - probably because I
    used a Fatboy before.

My favourite razors at the moment in order of preference are:
    - Fatboy
    - Progress
    - Slim
    - Merkur HD
    - Futur
    - SuperSpeed

I also gave in and ordered some La Toja shaving cream and balm earlier.

Gran Hermano, what La Toja did you plump for, Regular or Sensitive?

You'll love either, it smells nice. Very Spanish.

Gran Hermano, what La Toja did you plump for, Regular or Sensitive?

You'll love either, it smells nice. Very Spanish.

Keeping true to my nature, I ordered both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Hi all,

Heading up north next week to Enniskillen, anyone have any idea where I could get a safety razor there? Or close by?

Cheers!

Evening shave, not bothered doing it in the morning. I'm using another gift from family. A latherless shaving gel from God knows where, the label seems to be Pan-European on the back. Spanish or Portugese on the front.

Carrefour latherless shaving gel with Aloe Vera. Carrefour is also a chain of supermarkets in France/Europe, it might be part of their range. A bit like Tesco. The logo matches.

carrefourmenlatherlessg.jpg

Very very eerie sensation, like shaving yourself with thinned out vaseline, great on the sides of the chin, the only drawback is, being transparent, you have to keep track of your shaving strokes. A neutral, modern odour, dull.

Merkur HD with the above and a Crystal (ASR\Israeli Personna) blade. I ended up with what Stewie Griffin threatens other folk with, a sliced nostril. The razor slipped as I was trying to get at the base of my nose, just on the edge. Shaving away from the nostril, dug in nice and proper. The rest of shave was done with a new found timidness and minty fresh gingerly strokes..

Amalgam, how does it compare to the King of Shave gels (the stuff in tubes not cans)? It looks similar. I used the KoS stuff in the past and had great results with the range and a Fusion however I found it useless with the DE.

• Advertisement

Carrefour latherless shaving gel with Aloe Vera. Carrefour is also a chain of supermarkets in France/Europe, it might be part of their range. A bit like Tesco. The logo matches.

Big French supermarket chain. AFAIK, this is made by/for Loreal. You see it a lot in the Emirates, no one I know with a safety razor rates it, which sounds like your review.

Advertisement