Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

J
    My favourite razors at the moment in order of preference are:
    - Fatboy

Sweet, another Fatboy convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I can't relate to the KOS products, as I haven't used them, but I've certainly lingered at the rack at Boots to have a gander.

Happy enough with the shave, chin is like silk, you could not use this with a disposable razor, I don't see how you could, as you (of course) have stubble as well as skin debris etc mixing with the gel on the cutting edge and being pushed under the safety bar, that just couldn't happen with a bic, gillette etc.

Wallpaper paste is closer to the sensation, than vaseline, heat thins it out, rinsing isn't too bothersome.

I was given this by accident, the person wasn't too sure what to get me. They were presented it by staff in a shop when it was mentioned what kind of razor I use.

I'll finish off the tube, I might use it as an excuse to get some Cremo Cream, which as far as I can tell, is latherless also.

MediaTank: Sorry, just read your post, yes.. neutral, but in a, 'Meh, it's there, might as well use it kinda way'. I thought the shave was okay. Chin sides good, elsewhere passable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

MediaTank wrote: »
    Sweet, another Fatboy convert.

You know you're partially responsible, I just had to see what the hype
    was all about :D

How do you find it compared to the Slim? I'm so tempted to just swap
    back to the Fatboy after only giving the Slim one outing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Also finding it difficult to move away from the Fatboy, goes something like this:
    Hmm, Progress- Tech-Aristrocrat- OK, Just one more shave with the Fatboy, then I'll try one of the other razors the next time....

You know you're partially responsible, I just had to see what the hype
    was all about :D

How do you find it compared to the Slim? I'm so tempted to just swap
    back to the Fatboy after only giving the Slim one outing.

The Fatboy is easily the best razor I own, the Slim would be number 3 or 4 on the list. Amazing shave for a razor that was made in the 50s.

• Advertisement

dbar wrote: »
    Also finding it difficult to move away from the Fatboy, goes something like this:
    Hmm, Progress- Tech-Aristrocrat- OK, Just one more shave with the Fatboy, then I'll try one of the other razors the next time....

:)

Anyone here like pre-shave oil? I've 2 bottles of the AOS oil, oil unscented and one Lavender up for grabs gratis.

PM me if you are interested.

Lavender is gone, unscented still up for grabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's been a while, but there's a Progress en route.

Cheers all!

I dont need pre-shave anything anymore, also I've noticed it is a strange event if I see blood, some turnaround, I used to cut myself every single time with disposables and gloop...

Anyone here like pre-shave oil? I've 2 bottles of the AOS oil, oil unscented and one Lavender up for grabs gratis.

PM me if you are interested.

OK,
    Who got the nice boxed fatboy? you just beat me to it :rolleyes:
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=83527

• Advertisement

OK,
    Who got the nice boxed fatboy? you just beat me to it :rolleyes:
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=83527

All I'll say is :D

The price wasn't the best but it's Friday and I've had a bad week in work and needed
    a treat.

I'd a shave with a Fatboy and a yellow Gillette using Musgo cream last night,
    amazing shave! I decided I had to pick up another Fatboy so I'd
    have a back-up.

I thought it was you!
    Backups are essential, If you change your mind I bags it first..

I thought it was you!
    Backups are essential, If you change your mind I bags it first..

I'm spending far too much time on B&B lately, if I see anymore on there I'll drop you a PM. I think and hope my razor purchasing is under control now
    - until I want a slant bar.

I'm spending far too much time on B&B lately, if I see anymore on there I'll drop you a PM. I think and hope my razor purchasing is under control now
    - until I want a slant bar.

Trust me :D:D you won't feel fulfilled until you own at least 10 :D

Trust me :D:D you won't feel fulfilled until you own at least 10 :D

I just did a quick stock-take:

Merkur Futur
    Merkur Progress
    Merkur HD
    Gillette SuperSpeed (40's style Super Speed) - Z1 code 1954
    Gillette Flare Tip SuperSpeed - B1 code 1956
    Gillette Flare Tip SuperSpeed - B4 code 1956
    Gillette Superspeed TV Special - D2 code 1958
    Gillette Flare Tip SuperSpeed - E2 code 1959
    Gillette Fatboy - E3 code 1959
    Gillette Slim Adjustable - I1 code 1963

I'm waiting delivery on another Fatboy, think it's a 1959 as well.

All the Gillettes were picked up on Badger&Blade. I need to thin
    out the number of Flare Tip SS - I'll most likely keep the 40's, the TV
    Special and just one of the 50's Flare tips. (Just need to give them a
    all turn again and see which I prefer).

Check these guys out, based in NZ http://www.goodfella.com/collection.html
    tw0nk wrote: »
    that looks pretty cool alright, like the way each one is individually numbered
    Amalgam wrote: »
    I was close to getting a satin black one second hand. They are (apparently) milder than they look.

Looks like there is one up at the mo' on B&B for USD50 or will swap for a Futur.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=84116

Luckily my razor purchasing for this week is done :)

On another note I'm really liking the La Toja sensitive shaving cream.
    The La Toja balm has me undecided, it's heavier than the Proraso balm
    on the skin.

Well, my gear's been delivered to Waterford, but I'm stuck in Dublin... Is it worth the journey for the shave :pac:

On another note I'm really liking the La Toja sensitive shaving cream.

Milky isn't it? Not sure what minerals are in it, but the town itself has a reputation for what they put in that shaving cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Took delivery of my new Merkur Vision today and.....ehm.....well it's big. Really big (see pic below alongside my Merkur HD). I also took delivery of Trumpers extract of lime shaving soap and a pack of feather blades.
    I've been reading up about the vision on badger and blade and the general concencus seems to be that this thing will take your head clean off if you're not careful so with that in mind I decided to leave my first shave with a feather blade for another day.
    Anyway, I lathered up with the lime soap (very nice) and dialled the razor right down to almost closed and did the first pass WTG. I (happily) noticed that my head was still intact so I tentatively opened her up a bit and went for another pass WTG. Head still intact after two passes with the beast (much to my amazement) so I opened her up a bit more and went for a third pass XTG and I have to say...what a result!! Absolutely baby smooth and not a nick in sight. I've never had a shave so close with the HD and I usually do four passes with the HD, the final one being ATG. This thing is awesome!! (mind you it bloody well should be considering the price).
    IMGP0373.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

Hi all

started reading this thread a couple of weeks ago and got curious. Over the years i've shaved with disposables before moving onto a wilkinson protector and have been using a mach3 for the last ten years i reckon. My father used to use a DE before he passed away but i have no idea where it is now.

Anyway,got curious and started looking around some pharmacies. Bought a badger hair brush, palmolive cream and a wilkinson DE plastic/metal razor with blades and watched mantics videos on youtube. Quite impressed so far so have ordered a progress, sampler blade pack and two types of soap from shaving shack. Looking forward to getting to grips with them but i think regardless of how the razors work out i can't see myself ever abandoning the brush and cream/soap approach, its so good.

Also changed back to nivea sensitive from boots aftershave balm when i realised the boots stuff contains alcohol.

Anyway just wanted to say thanks for all the advice about and will post again in a week or so with any questions i have about the progress.

p.s. It occured to me that this is probably the only woman free forum on boards. How long before bgrh people start migrating? ;-)

• Advertisement

Day 2 in to DE shaving myself, already so much more happier, no more sore red face after shaving, nothing :)

After the first run of the Progress, I ended up with two nicks, but felt it wasn't sharp enough at 5, brought it down to 3, and has been perfect since - no more nicks. Am using Aloe Vera after shaving, and it's working great.

It really dosn't take as long as I thought either, which is always a bonus.

sendic wrote: »
    Hi all
    Bought a badger hair brush, palmolive cream and a wilkinson DE plastic/metal razor with blades and watched mantics videos on youtube. Quite impressed so far so have ordered a progress, sampler blade pack and two types of soap from shaving shack.

Looks like you've caught the bug. I hope you've a big credit card limit cause it's gonna take a beating....;)

My current colection is:
    Gillette superspeed
    Gillette aristocrat
    Gillette tech
    2 gillette fatboys
    Merkur HD
    Merkur futur
    Merkur vision
    2 brushes (1 pure, 1 silvertip)
    9 shaving creams
    4 post shave creams
    1 large credit card bill and a 1 very smooth face :)

luckily enough the need to experiment/purchase stuff has worn off so I won't be buying anything else. In fact I may offload half of the razors in the next few weeks as I have my favourites now. Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of DE shaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

waraf wrote: »
    Looks like you've caught the bug. I hope you've a big credit card limit cause it's gonna take a beating....;)

My current colection is:
    Gillette superspeed
    Gillette aristocrat
    Gillette tech
    2 gillette fatboys
    Merkur HD
    Merkur futur
    Merkur vision
    2 brushes (1 pure, 1 silvertip)
    9 shaving creams
    4 post shave creams
    1 large credit card bill and a 1 very smooth face :)

luckily enough the need to experiment/purchase stuff has worn off so I won't be buying anything else. In fact I may offload half of the razors in the next few weeks as I have my favourites now. Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of DE shaving.
    Am I the only one that is actually getting the financial saving from DE shaving?

I bought a progress about 3/4 years ago. Used that for about 1.5 years before buying a Slant Bar which is the only one I use now and I pretty much just use feather blades but sometimes gillette platinums if im stuck. I pretty much just always use Taylor shaving cream (although i did buy D.R Harris soap but didnt really like it as much).

Purchases to date:
    • Merkur Progress
    • Merkur Slant Bar
    • MÜHLE Slivertip brush (not used anymore)
    • Shavemac Slivertip brush (regular brush - cost me about 100 euro a year or two ago - probably are better brushes out there though but it works fine for me)
    • Shaving blade sampler pack (at the begining)
    • Lots of feather and gillette razor blades
    • An Alum Block (only got it fairly recently but it is something I use now)
    • A Styptic Pencil (never really used it)
    • A 3" handheld mirror with x5 magnification one side and normal the other side (small to carry in toiletries bag - very handy)
    • A leather razor pouch (connacht shaving - closing button fell off after about 2 months but still use it)
    • Proraso shaving cream and pre shave cream (only use the pre-shave stuff now)
    • Proraso gel for nicks and cuts (not very good imo)
    • A metal bowl from euro shop for making lather (so can be brought in toiletries bag without damage)
    • Round protective tube (very handy for transporting brush in toiletries bag)

My shaving procedure (I normally shaving in the shower nowadays):
    • Wash my face near begining of shower
    • Put on Proraso pre-shave cream after washing - leave until end of shower
    • At end of shower I create the lather
    • Then I rinse off the pre-shave cream
    • The lather my face for about 2 mins
    • Then shave one pass with the grain (leaving areas around mouth until last)
    • Re-lather and then I shave one pass across the grain
    • Re-lather and then I shave one pass against the grain only on the sides of my face
    • I rinse with hot water to get rid of lather and then with cold water (the cold water will close any small nicks etc and closes your pores).
    • I then wet the alum block and rub it gently over my face.
    • Pat dry with a towel
    • I dont moisturise or put anything on my face after that (used to at the begining just to try it but I found it made my face very sensitive to touch and thus got irritated).

axer wrote: »
    Am I the only one that is actually getting the financial saving from DE shaving?

Yes I think so judging by what I read here and on the B&B forum. I've just put my Diplomat up on the American version of ebay. Sorry to see it go but I'm on the dole these days so what can ya do....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Day 2 in to DE shaving myself, already so much more happier, no more sore red face after shaving, nothing :)
    Yeah strange, I don't seem to be getting much rash anymore and rarely a nick in sight after a while using the DE. I don't think I'm doing anything different, maybe I am subconsciously.

Gordon wrote: »
    Yeah strange, I don't seem to be getting much rash anymore and rarely a nick in sight after a while using the DE. I don't think I'm doing anything different, maybe I am subconsciously.

I think your skin just reacts to the better blade and shaving regimen, do you, like myself, have tougher stubble now?

---

My Barber, who's of Turkish origin, has started selling shaving products. Ali's - 23a Aungier Street. They have Arko shaving sticks for €2. There was a limited stock of Pure Badger shaving brushes, €30. Two very distinctive types of oversized Boar hair shaving brushes, proper, tough looking straw coloured hairs, exactly like the Omega Boar hair brushes, but not branded by them. A variety of safety blades, Derby I think, along with pre-split blades for Shavettes and a limited assortment of very workman-like Shavettes (brightly coloured plastic)

They're not bad for a haircut, they take some time with you.. and chat is optional. €8 euro for myself.

The Arko looks like this.

arkoshavingstick.jpg

---

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think your skin just reacts to the better blade and shaving regimen, do you, like myself, have tougher stubble now?
    Faster growth and slightly tougher, not quite sure if that was on its way before getting the Merkur or after now you come to mention it.

I've actually seen that barber, Amalgram - it was during my hunt for DE razors around town I came across them, but didn't pop in. Must do so.
    Gordon wrote: »

Big time, I think it's the lack of pulling the hairs from a 4 bladed razor, it's more of a clean cut. The fact we're giving some proper lathering and hydration to the beard is helping no end too, just general more thought going into the process... and it really dosn't take too much longer.

I had an accident with a ceramic mug a few weeks back, the handle broke off (hit the sink lifting it from the bath rim) and I thought I'd continue using it.. I went to pick it up later in the shave and my finger was well and truly impaled by the shovel shaped ceramic stump left of the handle, blood in large amounts.

I decided to eliminate any ceramics from my shaving experience. I picked up the following from a camping shop on Capel Street, two doors down from the AIB, beside the Pub there, but facing Capel Street, not the one on the side of Pub down the side road.. if that makes sense.

As far as I can recall, €1.99. Not too shabby, does what it has to. Functional, military green, they have blue too.

greenplasticmugs.jpg

• Advertisement

I had an accident with a ceramic mug a few weeks back, the handle broke off (hit the sink lifting it from the bath rim) and I thought I'd continue using it.. I went to pick it up later in the shave and my finger was well and truly impaled by the shovel shaped ceramic stump left of the handle, blood in large amounts.

I decided to eliminate any ceramics from my shaving experience. I picked up the following from a camping shop on Capel Street, two doors down from the AIB, beside the Pub there, but facing Capel Street, not the one on the side of Pub down the side road.. if that makes sense.

As far as I can recall, €1.99. Not too shabby, does what it has to. Functional, military green, they have blue too.

Yeah I bought a metal handelled shaving brush and I'm constantly worried that I'll break my shaving mug with it. My advice is to stay away from metal when buying a brush. Also, talking of mugs, my moss scuttle is my favourite thing in the whole world. Pour boiling water from the kettle into the bottom of it and you're in for a very luxurious shave....:D

Advertisement