Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

My Progress, sporting an Astra Superior;

3444523808_df2536f67e.jpg

3444557866_dea4aa7f29.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

That first one would make.. a great desktop wallpaper. Nicely done.

*cough*1024x768*cough*

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3389/3444544178_f476b70c93_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3654/3443714025_363464f6bb_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3353/3444523808_df2536f67e_b.jpg

Here's some more in 1024 x 683 :p

You'll have to put up with a black border on the sides though!

Unless you want the full 5616 x 3744's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Fajitas! wrote: »

Impressive pics. I take it you're not using the camera on your phone like me ;)

Seriously though, what type of camera/lens did you use to take the pics?

Here's a pic of the brushes the Barber (Ali's) at 23a Aungier Street sells. I popped up yesterday to buy a stick of Arko. The pictures are straight off a 6230.

image076i.jpg

The far (rear) right brush, pure badger, I think that was priced at 30 euro. He's getting more stock in, he wouldn't sell me the display brush. The same window display has Arko sticks and various other bits I didn't recognise.

image079n.jpg

Here's the display The Grooming Rooms have of various Proraso products. Directly on the right as you go in the door.

image073l.jpg

The tubs on the right, I didn't check if it was cream or soap. I felt like a tit taking the photo.. and went a nice colour of raspberry explaining myself to the staff member there.

• Advertisement

The Arko shaving soap stick I purchased is.. something an old biddy from the last century would have gladly used to clean flagstones.

Maybe it's because I haven't used a shaving soap before, but the lack of a lubricant does mean your face tightens after the shave, having said that, your skin is squeaky clean. The lather has a lot of volume, but is quite thin. The smell is strong, Citronella with a faint spiced undertone, I thought maybe Sandalwood. Irish folk will be familiar with the scent (Citronella) from the use of mosquito repellant.

It shaves you, but has downsides, unforgiving on sensitive skin, very soap-like, no getting away from that feeling.

Merkur HD with a Wilkinson blade. 3 passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Amalgam wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I haven't used a shaving soap before, but the lack of a lubricant does mean your face tightens after the shave, having said that, your skin is squeaky clean. The lather has a lot of volume, but is quite thin. The smell is strong, Citronella with a faint spiced undertone, I thought maybe Sandalwood. Irish folk will be familiar with the scent (Citronella) from the use of mosquito repellant.

You may already know this, but, making lather from a shaving stick is different to soap or cream. Wet beard and rub stick all over. Lather up directly on the face with a wet brush.

Having said that, it doesn't sound like a great product.

MediaTank wrote: »
    Wet beard and rub stick all over. Lather up directly on the face with a wet brush.

Ugh, I don't think I could manage that and stay happy. I daubed a wet shaving brush back and forth over the tip of the stick.

Too soap-like for my tastes, once you've hit your stride with the likes of Proraso or Wars, that richness in the lather spoils you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I nearly added the Arko soap to a basket but swapped it for Tabac soap
    at the last minute over the weekend. The Arko stick gets good reviews
    on B&B - again it may be down to it's rarity in the USA colouring the
    reviews.

I tried the Boot's own brand shaving soap stick some weeks back and
    compared to the Mitchells Wool Fat or TOBs soaps I've tried it's no use.
    I think I prefer my soaps in a bowl rather than face lathering on it's own.

I've used the green Gillette 7'oclocks this week and must say I had an
    amazing shave with one for the first two shaves using the Progress on 3
    but last night I scalped myself - think I was over tired and sloppy
    with my prep. Time for a blade swap this eve and I think I'll try another
    of the green 7 o'clocks in the FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I've got to say I find cream much better than soap and I now only use soap to create superlather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Yes, I more or less do the same, what I tend to do is buy the soap and cream of the same product, load up with the soap and then add a small bit of cream to thicken up. Works purdy good...
    Latest is La Toja - love it, its like warm milk on your face..

Sorry, I just don't have much time for shaving oils, I was given both and they're not being used.

The Nuagé Men on the far right, used once. 20ml. TAKEN

Middle. Total Shaving Solution. 10ml. Used about 3 times. Manufactured in Ireland. TAKEN

Left. Arko shaving stick, exactly 3.5cm of shaving stick. Cut with a kitchen knife from a new stick. Comes retail wrapped with one end open. TAKEN

aprilfreebies.jpg

I'd appreciate it if you are a brush user, not much point taking the Arko stick otherwise.

First person, if you could take two items and leave one or other of the oils for another member.

Items shipped out in a plain jiffy. Show your interest on the thread and fire me a PM with your postal details. Cheers.

PM sent for the shaving stick and the Nauge oil :)

Waraf, they're ready to go in the morning.

In keeping with Amalgam's spirit of giving, I have four unopened packs of Israeli blades to give away. Just PM me your address and I'll throw them in the post to you.

http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/thumb_popup.php?productid=2705

edit: still three packs left

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭piaget

I'm looking for a vintage Gillette TTO to compliment my Merkur. I am probably looking at a Superspeed as far I can tell. Read some reviews on Badger and Blade but the sales are for USA. Somebody else posted a link to safetyrazors.co.uk which seem to stock a few. I would like to get a fairly original specimen with no replating that I can use once or twice a week. Can any owners tell me what to look out for and the best place to source one and what sort of budget is realistic. Anybody ever bought anything from safetyrazors.co.uk. Recently got stuff from Connaught which were very good.

Post a 'Want to buy' at B&B with your location. Superspeeds are very common, so.. there's no scarcity there.

Thread title.

WTB: Ireland - Gillette Superspeed

A lot ship CONUS (Continental United States), but a lot will also ship abroad, but sometimes you have to ask.

I'd wager a bet you'll get a fairly quick response, either onthread or through a PM.

piaget wrote: »
    I'm looking for a vintage Gillette TTO to compliment my Merkur. I am probably looking at a Superspeed as far I can tell. Read some reviews on Badger and Blade but the sales are for USA. Somebody else posted a link to safetyrazors.co.uk which seem to stock a few. I would like to get a fairly original specimen with no replating that I can use once or twice a week. Can any owners tell me what to look out for and the best place to source one and what sort of budget is realistic. Anybody ever bought anything from safetyrazors.co.uk. Recently got stuff from Connaught which were very good.

I've a lovely one for sale on ebay at the moment. It's a completely original 1949 with original box and instructions. I'm not suggesting that you should buy my particular one but it'll at least give you a reference point. I'm not sure if I'm allowed post a link to an ebay auction so I'll PM you the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

There was a beaut of a Superspeed on B&B today, luckily I missed it
    by a few minbutes as otherwise I'd have one I don't need :D
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=85780

Amalgam is spot on with recommending B/S/T on B&B, I managed to
    quickly and easily pick up my fix of vintage Gillettes. My advice would
    be to create an account and introduce yourself on the Newbie/shave clinic
    forum and then keep an eye out for new threads offering what you're
    looking for. The time difference between USA and here works in our
    favour, most new adverts go up late at night I've noticed meaning
    if you log on before noon the next day you see them before most.
    Vintage Gillettes in good and excellent condition can move fast, another
    tip is to PM the seller straight away asking if they will ship here -
    most will ship a razor for on average an extra USD 5.00-7.00.
    I missed out on one Slim by seconds, whilst I was replying in the thread
    that I was interested if he'd ship here someone else PM'd him; hence
    my advice that if you see something you really want to send the PM
    first.

I also scored a real nice Fat Boy by PMing one of the regulars
    who I noticed had a massive collection of mint razors and asking
    if he could give me any tips on where to buy. He replied and sold
    me one of his spares. ;)

waraf wrote: »
    Impressive pics. I take it you're not using the camera on your phone like me ;)

Seriously though, what type of camera/lens did you use to take the pics?

Sorry - just saw this now!

It's a 5D MkII (Canon DSLR) and a 105mm macro lens, so I can get right in to 1:1 reproductions :)

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Sorry - just saw this now!

It's a 5D MkII (Canon DSLR) and a 105mm macro lens, so I can get right in to 1:1 reproductions :)

Wasn't sure what sort of wedge a yoke like that would go for so I had a quick look on ebay :eek::eek:........and I thought my camera was expensive at just over a hundred dollars!!:)

Seriously though - amazing pics mate

Lol, you gotta put it in to get it back out ;)

Cheers though, keep meaning to take a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

52 pages and I never even noticed ths thread.

I've been using a Merkur Futur for the last few years, with Merkur, Derby and Feather blades. Have decided Feather are my blade of choice from now on.

Soap wise I have Proraso (tube and tub), Valobra shave stick, Cella (tub), Arko stick, Vulfix Sicilian Limes, Mitchell's Woolfat, Gold Dachs and D.R. Harris Arlington soap. The Arlington is my favourite, followed by the Vulfix and Proraso.

I have a best badger Vulfix brush and a Vulfix boar bristle as well.

Aftershave I have Proraso pre/post, Nivea Sensitive, Proraso splash, Speik (amazing stuff), Tabac, Paco Rabanne (feel the burn:)), and Italian Floid.
    Also have Taylors No.74 Limes cologne, proper Brut cologne (bottle with medallion) and a ton of other colognes and Eau de Toilettes.

It's like an illness with me at this stage. Trumper's sample pack is on it's way too:o

Forgot I also have Palmolive Classic Shave cream and Musgo Real A/S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

il gatto wrote: »
    52 pages and I never even noticed ths thread.

I've been using a Merkur Futur for the last few years, with Merkur, Derby and Feather blades. Have decided Feather are my blade of choice from now on.

Soap wise I have Proraso (tube and tub), Valobra shave stick, Cella (tub), Arko stick, Vulfix Sicilian Limes, Mitchell's Woolfat, Gold Dachs and D.R. Harris Arlington soap. The Arlington is my favourite, followed by the Vulfix and Proraso.

I have a best badger Vulfix brush and a Vulfix boar bristle as well.

Aftershave I have Proraso pre/post, Nivea Sensitive, Proraso splash, Speik (amazing stuff), Tabac, Paco Rabanne (feel the burn:)), and Italian Floid.
    Also have Taylors No.74 Limes cologne, proper Brut cologne (bottle with medallion) and a ton of other colognes and Eau de Toilettes.

It's like an illness with me at this stage. Trumper's sample pack is on it's way too:o

Forgot I also have Palmolive Classic Shave cream and Musgo Real A/S.

You sir, are sick! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hi All
    Watching episode 3 of the third series of Battlestar Galactica last night when Admiral William Adama decided to remove his mustache and lo and behold, what did he use only........A Merkur Futur!!!!
    I think too much about shaving I think.
    That does it, if its good enough for Adama........ gotta get a Futur now, pair it with my HD..
    Wonder what blades he was using? :)

Cheers

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭piaget

There was a beaut of a Superspeed on B&B today, luckily I missed it
    by a few minbutes as otherwise I'd have one I don't need :D
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=85780

Amalgam is spot on with recommending B/S/T on B&B, I managed to
    quickly and easily pick up my fix of vintage Gillettes. My advice would
    be to create an account and introduce yourself on the Newbie/shave clinic
    forum and then keep an eye out for new threads offering what you're
    looking for. The time difference between USA and here works in our
    favour, most new adverts go up late at night I've noticed meaning
    if you log on before noon the next day you see them before most.
    Vintage Gillettes in good and excellent condition can move fast, another
    tip is to PM the seller straight away asking if they will ship here -
    most will ship a razor for on average an extra USD 5.00-7.00.
    I missed out on one Slim by seconds, whilst I was replying in the thread
    that I was interested if he'd ship here someone else PM'd him; hence
    my advice that if you see something you really want to send the PM
    first.

I also scored a real nice Fat Boy by PMing one of the regulars
    who I noticed had a massive collection of mint razors and asking
    if he could give me any tips on where to buy. He replied and sold
    me one of his spares. ;)

Thanks to everyone for their replies on my Superspeed query, unfortunately Waraf's razor was sold. My quest continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

hamsterboy wrote: »

want to bet they had the corners cut off them? :D

Hi All
    Watching episode 3 of the third series of Battlestar Galactica last night when Admiral William Adama decided to remove his mustache and lo and behold, what did he use only........A Merkur Futur!!!!
    That does it, if its good enough for Adama........ gotta get a Futur now, pair it with my HD..

Cheers

HB

Hi Hamsterboy, I have a practically new one for sale on ebay. I only used it twice so it's in immaculate condition. I'll PM you the link.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Sorry, I just don't have much time for shaving oils, I was given both and they're not being used.

The Nuagé Men on the far right, used once. 20ml. TAKEN

Middle. Total Shaving Solution. 10ml. Used about 3 times. Manufactured in Ireland. TAKEN

Left. Arko shaving stick, exactly 3.5cm of shaving stick. Cut with a kitchen knife from a new stick. Comes retail wrapped with one end open. TAKEN

I'd appreciate it if you are a brush user, not much point taking the Arko stick otherwise.

First person, if you could take two items and leave one or other of the oils for another member.

Items shipped out in a plain jiffy. Show your interest on the thread and fire me a PM with your postal details. Cheers.

Many thanks Amalgam. You're a true gent. Just had an extremely comfortable shave with the Nauge oil and the Arko stick. :)

• Advertisement

Hi All

Cheers

HB

I was convinced he used an Merkur HD in season 4 at some point. I was about to say he was tippling from a hip flask a fair bit in the episode, but that doesn't narrow it down much.. :D

Advertisement