Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Haven't seen season 4 yet but it was defo a Futur. Will post a pic if I can get one
    Would love if he had a HD too, just like me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Waraf, not a bother, the Arko stick is an odd beast. I'll be using it this evening..

A Merkur Vision, without a doubt.. for that season anyway, Season 4, I think is an open comb Merkur Heavy Classic.. Pilots or Season 1, a Gillette DE of some sort.

Bladeless for the scene.

(see attached) Adama and his Merkur Vision.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

I bow before your razor knowledge Amalgam. Could have sworn it was a futur.
    Still, nice to see he's one of us :)

I'm looking at shaving stands, Connaught are limited in their choice when it comes to certain items, I might try http://www.shaving-shack.com/ this time, see how they are, for a change.

Any valid shaving-shack discount codes floating around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Just read the whole thread. Posted yesterday before I read it. Nice to see so many appreciating a good shave with quality products.

Although I have alot of different soaps, creams and aftershaves, I never really bought into too much of the "lifestyle" on the wetshaving forums. I fully understand the passion people have for it, but I had my own reasoning. I decided about 3 years or so ago that Gillette multiblades were a rip off and liked the idea of a nicely engineered razor (and cheap blades). I bought the Futur and intended to buy another, but have been very happy with it so didn't bother ordering a different one yet. I generally use Feathers or Derbys with the razor dialled into 3.5ish.

I wanted to shave the way my Grandfather and father did(until he swtiched to disposables, yuk!), so I have tried to keep my shaves as functional as possible. Even though shaving was a real skill in 1920, using a 1904 Gillette, a brush and soap was the equivalent of a Mach 3 and Gillette Gel today. As a result, my initial forays were 2 passes with a boar brush and Proraso. Since I moved to a badger brush and generally hard soaps. I also use only 1 pass for everyday shaving, a combination of with the grain and across the grain. It generally leaves a pretty smooth result, with no irritation and has the benefit of having a little more stubble the next day ad no red patches to shave over.
    If I was going to something special (wedding, night out, job interview) I would still use 2 passes.

As far as a routine goes, I generally shave after a shower. Either way, I douse my face for 30sec or a minute with hot water. While I do this, I run the hot tap on the brush. I whip the brush over the soap until a little lather is produced and then lather the rest up on my face. I find the extra brushing on the face stands the bristles up more, rather than painting on a lather created in a bowl. I then shave with the grain, using a diagonal stroke (as in the blade is horizontal but moves down and across the skin) on the larger areas. I use across the grain under the chin and on the moustache and against under my bottom lip and nose.
    I run my fingers over to check for any rough patches. If I find them, a dab of lather with my finger and a few swipes with the blade.
    I then rinse with warm water and then slosh cold onto my face. If it's been a rough shave (rarely), I use the alum block at this stage, leave for a minute and rinse again. Pat dry and apply an alcohol based aftershave like Speik etc., or a balm.

I have it down to 5 minutes if I'm in a hurry, or 10 if I have the time. If I'm really taking my time and do a second pass, 15 minutes.

All in all, I'm glad I made the move and after a few years, I don't see it as anything unusual anymore, just a shave (which was my original intention). I couldn't contemplate using multiblades and goo anymore. Wouldn't feel like I'd even shaved.
    And even though I've achieved my intention of making DE wetshaving a functional proess, that doesn't mean I don't love all the stuff I buy:)

By the way, I find the Arko stick gives a very close shave. Need to be careful as it doesn't lubricate or protect as much as some others, but overall, for €1-€2, it's fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Any other fans of the Astra Superiors? I tried the normal ones before moving up to the Superiors, and they were great, but the Superiors are even better.

They're definitely giving me my closest shave yet - I've not tried the Feathers yet, but these are damn sharp. A bit of a strong smell of motor oil off'em, but that's gone after a few seconds.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I've not tried the Feathers yet..

You're missing out. I was fearful of them when my skin wasn't used to the DE, but I look forward to shaving with them so much now, a good shave tunes you up for the day.

I'll give them a go eventually, but I got a huge selection of blades I wanna work through before I try them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm not a fan of the Feathers - if I want a sharp blade I'll use the Gillette
    yellows or green 7 o'clocks. The Feathers seem to cause me too many
    weepers and irritation whilst the Gillettes are just that little less sharp
    but a lot sharper than the likes of the IP Crystals or Red Personnas.

Has anyone here tried the Proraso soap in a bowl? I took delivery of
    the Green Tea and Aloe soap recently and it's replaced MWF as my
    favourite soap. This is great stuff, better than the cream IMHO.
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=P&t=27633

I've also got the Tabac soap to try out. That's my soap buying done for a while ;)

I'm still liking the La Toja sensitive cream, Leon on vintagescent is a gent
    to do business with and I'll be ordering again. He's also got some nice brushes
    in and I'm fighting the urge to buy. I've also asked him to look at
    stocking Musgo as his delivery time/charges seem better than the UK.

I tried out the Omega boar brush that Connaght sell cheap, they get rave
    reviews on B&B and the usual fora especially for using with soaps.
    It sure is different to a badger brush and they STINK at first but I've been
    assured the smell goes in a few days. It stinks like creosote so hopefully
    the Proraso preshave menthol will help kill the pong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Any other fans of the Astra Superiors? I tried the normal ones before moving up to the Superiors, and they were great, but the Superiors are even better.

me :D
    Bambi wrote: »
    just shaved with an Astra superior blade...wow, i can't believe how smooth it shaved, better than the merkurs or feathers imo! Not the closest shave but i thought there wasn't a blade in the razor at first, which given that I hadnt shaved since sunday night is quite something.

Good stuff! :D

Ended up getting a last minute train outta Dublin, so I'll be missing my shave in the morning. Bah. :pac:

Has anyone here tried the Proraso soap in a bowl? I took delivery of
    the Green Tea and Aloe soap recently and it's replaced MWF as my
    favourite soap. This is great stuff, better than the cream IMHO..

I was tempted, I wanted to get the cream in the bowl too, seems handier than a tube. I don't know why I didn't at the start. 8 Euro in the Grooming Rooms, by the way, which isn't too shabby, considering online it is a penny short of 5 Sterling, excluding P&P.
    I'm not a fan of the Feathers.

:(
    I'm still liking the La Toja sensitive cream, Leon on vintagescent is a gent
    to do business with and I'll be ordering again. He's also got some nice brushes
    in and I'm fighting the urge to buy. I've also asked him to look at
    stocking Musgo as his delivery time/charges seem better than the UK.

What sort of time for delivery? I swore Musgo was stocked there. Odd.
    I tried out the Omega boar brush that Connaght sell cheap, they get rave
    reviews on B&B and the usual fora especially for using with soaps.
    It sure is different to a badger brush and they STINK at first but I've been
    assured the smell goes in a few days. It stinks like creosote so hopefully
    the Proraso preshave menthol will help kill the pong.

I am angling for a boar brush at some point, my grandfather used one, it always had a particular smell, a bit like straw, a tad earthy, not gross, but not exactly pleasant either.

I find the badger fine on soap and the Vulfix is known to be a soft badger. However, I think everyone should have a boar bristle, if only for the sake of a change from time to time. I quite like the scrubby feeling. And they're cheap. Reason enough I should think:D.

I ordered from Vintagescent on a Monday and got my delivery on the Thursday,
    delivery was only €6. He is not currently selling Musgo
    as he thought it was easily available everywhere. I'll probably pick
    up one of the Semogue brushes when I'm restocking my La Toja.
    These brushes look like great value and get good reviews.
    http://vintagescent.com/shaving-brushes-c-5/semogue-2015hd-shaving-brush-p-22

The bad smell from the Omega brushes passes in a day or two -
    this is not the usual brush smell but rather the 'new' boar brush smell which is real bad.

The white Proraso soap is unusual, it not as hard as the other soaps I've
    used it's more like a much harder version of TOBs cream. The MWF was
    drying out my skin too much so the Proraso soap is the perfect alternative
    as it's nice and moisturising.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

bah been reading this thread for a few days and just jumped in with the Merkur 34C HD and a few bits and pieces from Shaving Shack. i can only imagine this is gonna get more expensive along the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

bah been reading this thread for a few days and just jumped in with the Merkur 34C HD and a few bits and pieces from Shaving Shack. i can only imagine this is gonna get more expensive along the way...
    It has been very cheap for me but im in the minority I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Yeah it can get expensive alright but as hobbies go it's not too bad. If you're not too flush with cash and you want to add to your collection you can just buy some soap or cream for around a fiver. Then when you are feeling flush you can go for a new/antique razor so it's a pastime that suits all budgets. Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of DE shaving :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Since I got my merkur progress back in January I've been shaving on 0.5 - 1.5 (1.5 most of the time), I';ve changed it upto 2-2.5 now and I have to say I'm getting a close shave without the third pass.

Though I did manage to cut myself twice, I suppose I should have experimented more before now :)

Also I got 4 new tubes of Lider yesterday off of ebay.pl, I previously bought two tubes of Lider and two of WARS but I'm not a fan of WARS.

d4_2.JPG.jpg

As such I now have one tube of wars never used remaining if anyone wants it, (it normally costs about 2-3e but I'll give it away for free)
    PM me your address and I'll send it out to you :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    Also I got 4 new tubes of Lider yesterday off of ebay.pl, I previously bought two tubes of Lider and two of WARS but I'm not a fan of WARS.

Hi Cabaal, I've tried Wars but I haven't tried Lider. Does Lider they smell / perform better than Wars in your opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

waraf wrote: »
    Hi Cabaal, I've tried Wars but I haven't tried Lider. Does Lider they smell / perform better than Wars in your opinion?

In my view it does, for the sake of the few euro I';d recommend buying some of ebay.pl as its cheap as chips to try it.

I also think Lider makes a nicer lather then WARS

Cabaal wrote: »
    In my view it does, for the sake of the few euro I';d recommend buying some of ebay.pl as its cheap as chips to try it.

I also think Lider makes a nicer lather then WARS

Does Lider smell of limes or anything? I'm just asking cause of the green packaging (although it comes in blue too AFAIK)

I'm a fan of WARS, the only thing that might disappoint is the size of the tubes, 75ml.

There's a hint of orange blossom with a classic Barber scent underlying.

Cabaal, I'll take it if it is going.. no problem if it is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Just cracked open a Gillette 7 o'clock and felt a slight smoother effect, as opposed to raspy from previous blade which I can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I won an auction on Ebay for a '59 Gillette Fatboy and got it in the post yesterday. What number settings would you recommend using. I was in the States last month and had a great time in antique shops shopping for double edged razors, found a nice Merkur slant edge for $12. I also stocked up on US personnas at walmart, great razor and great price, 10 blades for $2.19.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10318835

I put in a bulk order for both the yellow and green Gillette 7 o.clock blades last week I was that impressed when I used the ones in my sample pack. They're my go to blade when I fancy something sharper than the red Personna or IP Crystals.

I tend to use the Fatboys on 4 with the sharper blades and 5 on the less sharp. I'd say that's a similar shave for me to a HD or Progress on 3-4.

I just had a great shave with a Fatboy and a green 7o.clock.
    I forgot to add a couple of packs of the grey/black 7o.clocks to last weeks order for comparison.

Got my Trumpers sample pack yesterday. Very impressed (with product and service). First and foremost, the legendary Trumpers Limes. Love it. Really sherbety scent. Lasts exactly zero hours though. The Lime shave cream is also nicely scented, but not quite as much kick as the Vulfix Limes.

The Sandalwood blew me away. I got a sample of the cologne and skin food and used both. I expected a duller, less complex woody scent. It's like a less in your face Opium by YSL. It's gorgeous.
    I never tried the much vaunted Skin Food, but I have to say I'm impressed. Lighter than a balm, leaves the skin smooth, no sticky residue and I thought it's soothed well. Again, the sandalwood scent is lovely.

I sniffed the Wild Fern cologne as well. I specifically asked them for a sample. Liking it. I might try it later.

If anyone thinks they might splash out on some Geo. F. Trumper stuff, order the sample pack first. For €5.50ish, you can make an informed decision rather than blind buying and there's enough little vials and bottles to keep you occupied for a week. Great stuff:D

Amalgam wrote: »
    Cabaal, I'll take it if it is going.. no problem if it is gone.

Nope I still have it, PM me your address and I'll get it sent out on Monday

The GFT sampler is great, I've ordered another as they are handy when
    away travelling.

I think I'll order a large bottle of the skin food in Lime next time.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    Just cracked open a Gillette 7 o'clock and felt a slight smoother effect, as opposed to raspy from previous blade which I can't remember.

Popped one in myself this morning, but had just shaved with an Astra Superior, so am looking forward to it tomorrow.

Advertisement