Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

waraf wrote: »
    Doesn't appear to be any special on feather blades at the moment on Shaving Shack. Anyway, I got 30 for 10 euro delivered using some shaving points. Thanks for the replies lads.

Has he not reduced them from GBP 10.40 to GBP 6.99 for 30?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Has he not reduced them from GBP 10.40 to GBP 6.99 for 30?

Yes but 3 packs of 30 plus 1 pack of ten plus postage is:

(6.99*3)+3.49+6.00 = 30.49 GBP (approx 34 euro)

Still good, but I was just looking for the 26 euro for 100 deal you mentioned earlier

waraf wrote: »
    Yes but 3 packs of 30 plus 1 pack of ten plus postage is:

(6.99*3)+3.49+6.00 = 30.49 GBP (approx 34 euro)

Still good, but I was just looking for the 26 euro for 100 deal you mentioned earlier

Sorry waraf, you're spot on - I checked the basket I put together earlier.
    I had 1 x 30 plus 3 x 10 instead of the 3x 30 plus 1 x 10.
    Time for another espresso !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Time for another espresso !

Pull that shot!

On another note, do you guys buy blades in 100s or more at a time?

I've found that since I get 4/5 shaves out of a Feather, and I shave most days. That 100 blades lasts 15/16 months, however when I get to the end of the batch of blades 3/4 shaves is all I get. I know that blades will oxidise over time and hence get blunt. So now the most I buy at a time is 50.

MT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

MediaTank wrote: »

I know that blades will oxidise over time and hence get blunt. So now the most I buy at a time is 50.

MT

Hi MT, just curious - how do you know how long the batch was sitting in the warehouse before they shipped to you?

I've used some Wilkinsons that I know were bought in the 70's and they lasted better than some I bought a few months ago. Could be something environmental in your storage - or a bad batch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Pericles

Sorry to crash the thread, but I've been reading and am intrigued by the world of safety razors. If I got this Merkur HD and a popular blades sample pack for around €41, is that a) a good price and b) enough to get started and a good shave with my normal King of Shaves gel? Or do I have to get a brush and creams for it to be worth it?

Pericles wrote: »
    Sorry to crash the thread, but I've been reading and am intrigued by the world of safety razors. If I got this Merkur HD and a popular blades sample pack for around €41, is that a) a good price and b) enough to get started and a good shave with my normal King of Shaves gel? Or do I have to get a brush and creams for it to be worth it?

You can definitely start with HD, sample pack and your normal gel. However, I find that I can mix up a much better lather with a brush and good quality shaving cream than any gel/foam from a can. Anyway, see how you get on with just the razor and and if you have a few quid spare somtime down the line you can buy a cheap starter brush and see if you like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Tbh, I reckon you'd be better off getting the brush and creams and stick with your multi-bladed razor, before the DE razor and blades - If you can spend the extra few minutes washing your face and working up a good solid lather, you'll be well on your way to a better shave than using the HD with a gel...

If you were willing to push the boat out another 30 quid, I got the Progress, the popular blade sample pack, an Old Spice cream and a fairly cheap Omega travel brush (that does the job just fine). I also saw Boots own brand DE razor in store for €7 and a W.Sword job for €14 - But they're both pretty plastic - especially compared to the Merkurs, etc.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I got the Progress,

Actually that's a good point. Lots of people say that newbies shouldn't start with an adjustable but I think the opposite. If you start with an adjustable you can begin shaving with it set on a very tame setting and dial it up as your technique improves. Saves you buying loads of razors trying to find he one that works best for you IMO

Hi Pericles - I was in the same position about 2 years ago so here's my 2c worth.

a) yes it's a great price - you won't get a deal like that form any of the Irish suppliers. Connaught also have great service - one of my orders got delayed and they assumed lost and resent. When the "lost" package arrived I sent it back. next shipment arrived priority

b) brush and cream\soap are recommended first. Get your pre-shave routine down first so you can concentrate on technique with the DE. It's not the same as using a multiblade. Multiblades encourage pressure and that's the last thing you need with a DE.

I wouldn't necessarily go with a "cheap" brush to start as I subscribe to the "buy cheap, buy twice" philosophy and any time I step out of it I get reminded. An inexpensive but excellent brush that will work well and last for years is the Kent BK4. It's a silvertip\best badger mix and can be sourced for between £30 and £40.
    A good alternative if you think you might have problems with animal hair is the Men U synthetic. I haven't used it but I've heard it's good, though not as good as a Taylors synthetic.

Boar brushes are cheap but stiff and scratchy. If you don't mind that and intend to use soap rather than cream they're a good start. But you probably will buy a good badger brush at some point - most of us do!

The "cheap" Wilkinsons DE is an excellent starter for inexpensive and can double as a travel razor when you move on. It is plastic but the handle has a metal core to give it a bit of weight.

Gillette Slim - twist to open - are available from Ebay sellers for around a fiver plus shipping. It's one of the last proper shavers Gillette made before revising their loss leader rip-off strategy and highly recommended. Hunt around your older male relatives, there might be one in the back of a drawer somewhere -I found my fathers old one in the shed. A few minutes soak in boiling water, scrub with a toothbrush and washing liquid, drench in boiling water then an alcohol disinfectant and you're good to go. If you have an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner handy even better. Dettol works too but if you do use anything other than water and alcohol make sure it is properly rinsed, cleaned and dried before you use it.

Can't comment in the Merkur Progress but there are loads of reviews around. It may be that if you get a Progress first you'll never suffer from Razor Acquisition Disorder (RAD). You might buy Merkur Slant later and a Slant with any other razor has you covered.

There are quite a few online resources and one very good resource is here if you haven't found it already.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37

From personal experience

Merkur 38C - longer than HD, sourced from Lees Razors $35. Excellent. Price on Merkurs in the US has gone up since due to currency fluctuations so better prices from EU and UK sellers now.
    Merkur 39C - longer version of Slant, again from Lees, great when you need to clear a few days growth or your 5 o'clock shadow appears at midday.

Gillette Slim - found in garden shed, cleaned up, works a treat and great for travel.

Gillette travel Tech - again from the shed - it's small, light aluminium, very forgiving and great in tight places or quick post shave touch-ups

Wilkinsons black plastic thing. Inexpensive, works, can't complain.

Sephora pure badger travel brush. Found it for €3 in Poland. At that price I can't complain.

Kent BK4 silvertip - £28 plus shipping. Wouldn't be without it and if space allows it travels with me.

LIDER Green shaving cream. Less than 1 euro a tube from Poland. Smells great and does a wonderful job and last for ages. Might be available in Polish shops here but I imagine it would cost 3-4 yo-yos

Taylors and Trumpers creams - very good but buy them from UK re-sellers or direct. Mark-up here is running at 100% + UK price £12-£15. Irish price starts at €24

FLORIS soaps and creams - good to excellent but as above. As FLORIS count Ian Fleming as a previous customer markup here is running at 300% in some places - I kid you not!

One final piece of advice - If your current routine with a multiblade and canned goo is around the 10 minute mark budget for 20 - 30 minutes when you start with a DE and brush.
    And stop shaving in the shower until you know your technique backwards ;)

Welcome to the world of real shaving! :cool:

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your replies! Waraf has offered to post me a spare Merkur HD that he has, so taking the advice here I've ordered myself a sample razor set, a Vulfix Piccadilly badger brush, and a tube of Old Spice lime cream. I'm pretty blown away by the response here, and I want to pariticularly thank Waraf for his generosity – it's not often that a two-post lurker gets that kind of reception!

StealthRolex – I'm going to try out one or two of the creams you mention, bcause I reckon that's quite a variable thing and it'll take me a while to find what works for me. Cheers for your recommendations.

I've always been intrigued by DE shaving and I get such rapid-growing facial hair that shaving is a very frequent thing for me – it'll be nice when it becomes a pleasurable experience! Thanks again for the responses: I'll keep everyone updated as my shaving career progresses!

Well, I wouldn't say 20-30 minutes - If you wash your face in the shower, and have your brush soaking in hot water before you jump in, you can easily have it done in 10 minutes, or 15 if you can spare it!!

Well, I wouldn't say 20-30 minutes - If you wash your face in the shower, and have your brush soaking in hot water before you jump in, you can easily have it done in 10 minutes, or 15 if you can spare it!!

True, I have it down to 15 minutes now but when I started with DE first it was 20-30 - faffin' about with cream and lather bowl, getting the right amount of water in, after shower prep with skin food or some other pre-shave, shave carefully (right angle, check the pressure, oops that'll sting in a bit) with, then across, check for missed spots, after shave with osma and skin food, clean razor, clean brush, clean bowl, clean sink.

Less than 15 minutes now is achievable but getting close to 10 runs the risk of a couple of weepers. It's down to technique and when you start it takes a wee while longer.

If I'm in a hurry I do a shower shave with Nivea goo and the Gillette Slim. Fast, smooth, no blood.

On Sundays it's 30 minutes of me time with the Slant and the full works - Trumpers pre-shave, FLORIS cream, hot bowl, cold water rinse mug, skin food and later a dash of Creed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Vintage Blades LLC seem to have reductions on Shavemac brushes until June 2009 or when stock runs out, whichever happens first..

I'm not sure if the prices are competitive once P&P is included, but it looks attractive.

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/home.php?cat=148

---

To highlight an example, this seems to be a steal compared to buying it from the Shavemac website:

Shavemac 177, Handmade, Silvertip Badger - 25 mm - Faux Ivory

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=688&cat=194&page=1

---

Just a heads up, I'd happily chip in on an order if someone has an idea to buy.. I think orders over $100 have reduced P&P.

So, with my DE razor, brush, cream and more (!) winging their way towards me, I would like your opinions about which blade to use initially. I've heard that it's not a good idea to switch around different types of blades when starting off, but which one should I choose? I will have the following to choose from:
    • Feather New Hi-Stainless
    • Derby Extra
    • Wilkinson Sword Double Edge
    • Dorco Platinum
    • Merkur Super Platinum
    • Super + Platinum / Crystal ‘Israeli Persona'
    • Personna Platinum Chrome (Red Personna)
    I may be splitting hairs here (boom boom!) but I want to get off to the right start. I await your advice - cheers!

Wilkinson Sword Double Edge

Doesn't irritate. Not sadistic or a tugger, a rather noble blade. They even out well after a few shaves. Someone might say to take it easy and go for the Merkur or Derby, but why start off DE shaving with something that'll have you moaning or doubting your shaving manner from the off?

I'm using the Wilkinson a the moment, then back to the Feathers. I have IP's but they leave me red for the day.

YMMV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

So, with my DE razor, brush, cream and more (!) winging their way towards me, I would like your opinions about which blade to use initially. I've heard that it's not a good idea to switch around different types of blades when starting off, but which one should I choose? I will have the following to choose from:
    • Derby Extra
    • Dorco Platinum
    • Merkur Super Platinum
    I may be splitting hairs here (boom boom!) but I want to get off to the right start. I await your advice - cheers!

Try a sample pack from someone like Connaught Shaving. When I started shaving with a safety, I knew nothing of them and bought a fair few until I settled on some (Derby because they're cheap and very good, Feathers because they're soooo sharp).

Damnit. Just bought a '66 Slim Adjustable off ebay:(:D €35ish including shipping from the states. Looks in great nick.

I was bidding on a mint, fully boxed one in the u.k., but it's shot up to €60+ and there's days left yet. Too rich for my blood. I want to use the damned thing, not frame it:D

Agree with Amalgam on the Wilkinsons - the work well, sharp but smooth and you can get them all over Ireland if you like them - no need to wait for a shipment.

Feathers are the biz but wait until you've tried a few of the others first.

Merkurs - jury's out for me. When i started I hated them - couldn't get them to work with any razor\lather combination. Just started through my old sampler recently and the last one was fine. For me they seem to be more suited to soaps than creams.

Derby's - not bad for me but not great. Tend not to last long.

My usual rotation is between Feather and Wilkinsons. Every so often I swap in something from the sampler pack or whatever I've picked up locally.

I tend to use that Slant most of the time but for trials I put them into a straight head first.

From what I read around the various sites, blades seem to be the worst
    item for 'what suits one will not suit another'. I can't stand Feathers or
    Derbys but a lot of people have them top of their preferences.

I use the IP Crystals or Red Personnas and switch to the yellow or green
    Gillette 7 o'clocks if I want something sharper. If I'm using a DE to shave
    my head I'll use a Wilkinson in a Superspeed as they are rather forgiving.

This weeks shaving purchases for me have included so far:
    - Merkur 39c (had to give in and buy a slant)
    - Floid aftershave
    - 444 balm
    - MWF soap and dish (already had a soap refill but wanted the ceramic dish)
    - TOBS AS balm
    - Omega cream
    - Musgo AS balm

• Advertisement

From what I read around the various sites, blades seem to be the worst
    item for 'what suits one will not suit another'. I can't stand Feathers or
    Derbys but a lot of people have them top of their preferences.

Absolutely - I was really looking forward to using the Gilette's, and they near tore the face off me, wheras the Astra's hadn't gotten the best of reviews, but I found them fantastic - baby's arse every time!! I haven't gotten as good a shave since them neither.

Absolutely - I was really looking forward to using the Gilette's, and they near tore the face off me, wheras the Astra's hadn't gotten the best of reviews, but I found them fantastic - baby's arse every time!! I haven't gotten as good a shave since them neither.

Not to mention I prefer different blades in different razors - I tend to use
    the tamer blades in the Futur or HD but the sharper blades in the Fatboy
    or Progress.

Maybe variety is really the spice of life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭piaget

[HTML]

Feather New Hi-Stainless Derby Extra Wilkinson Sword Double Edge Dorco Platinum Merkur Super Platinum Super + Platinum / Crystal ‘Israeli Persona' Personna Platinum Chrome (Red Personna)I may be splitting hairs here (boom boom!) but I want to get off to the right start. I await your advice - cheers!
    [/HTML]

+1 for the Wilkinson Sword, have been DE shaving for years using only Wilkinson or Swedish Gillette blades, am trying Feathers at the moment from my Connaught sample pack. WS Blades are great, cheap and easily available, often pulled a dozen shaves per blade.
    Whats people's thoughts on Erasmic or Ingrams cream, any good!!!!, Badger and Blade posters seem to like them

I've not tried Erasmic, but I have noticed it is available in just about every chemist on the southside of Dublin. It's from Jordan, of all places.

• Derby Extra
    • Dorco Platinum
    • Merkur Super Platinum

Assuming you are new to DE shaving, don't start with Feather. Use a medium blade, (to some blunt, others sharp) - the Merkur to start with, then try say the Derby, Dorco, and the Personna's, next the Wilkinson and finally the Feather. The order I've given is roughly least sharp to most, and starting with the Merkur as a baseline.

Amalgam wrote: »
    I've not tried Erasmic, but I have noticed it is available in just about every chemist on the southside of Dublin. It's from Jordan, of all places.

Had an Erasmic shave stick about 7 or 8 years ago. Good stuff and a nice barbershop scent. Got in a local pharmacy, but they don't seem to have it any more.

il gatto wrote: »
    Had an Erasmic shave stick about 7 or 8 years ago. Good stuff and a nice barbershop scent. Got in a local pharmacy, but they don't seem to have it any more.

Available at the link below for 0.68 GBP :eek::)

pity the postage is 5.75 GBP

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/product_6843_erasmic-shave-stick-50g.html

- Merkur 39c (had to give in and buy a slant)

Have you given it a spin yet?

MediaTank wrote: »
    Have you given it a spin yet?

I'm still waiting for delivery. I only placed the order on Monday so should
    hopefully have the slant for a test-run this weekend all going well.
    I guess I'm jumping the gun a tad and should stick with the normal
    DE razors for a while more but curiosity got the better of me and I stuck
    it in with my recent 'balm order'. The chaps on B&B seem to recommend
    a sharp blade with the slants, as I'm not a fan of the feathers I guess I'll
    try one of the 7o'clocks in it to start.

I recall you picked up one some months back, are you still using it or
    did you find yourself sticking to the Fatboy?

On a seperate note, I've noticed more of the posters here appearing
    on the Coffee/Tea Forum here on Boards. (Myself, Fajitas, dbar and
    waraf) must be some crossover between making proper coffee and
    shaving the right way, maybe it's an appreciation of doing things
    the 'right' way. As both fora are easy to miss I decided to post
    today on each with a link to the other!

• Advertisement

On a seperate note, I've noticed more of the posters here appearing
    on the Coffee/Tea Forum here on Boards. (Myself, Fajitas, dbar and
    waraf) must be some crossover between making proper coffee and
    shaving the right way, maybe it's an appreciation of doing things
    the 'right' way. As both fora are easy to miss I decided to post
    today on each with a link to the other!

Without sounding like an elitest snob (Yeah... I know I still will...) it's probably just looking for for quality rather than a "It'll do" attitude. I have the time if it's done right :)

Advertisement