Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I recall you picked up one some months back, are you still using it or
    did you find yourself sticking to the Fatboy?

It was fun to try, but cut a little, so I'm sticking to the FB.
    On a seperate note, I've noticed more of the posters here appearing
    on the Coffee/Tea Forum here on Boards. (Myself, Fajitas, dbar and
    waraf) must be some crossover between making proper coffee and
    shaving the right way, maybe it's an appreciation of doing things
    the 'right' way. As both fora are easy to miss I decided to post
    today on each with a link to the other!

Yes, I'm a big coffee fan, and also cigars, wine, beer and spirits :) I must stop by the coffee forum.

MT

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

il gatto wrote: »
    Had an Erasmic shave stick about 7 or 8 years ago. Good stuff and a nice barbershop scent. Got in a local pharmacy, but they don't seem to have it any more.

i bought an erasmic stick in a local pharmacy in gorey for 1.50 recently. Nice smell and decent lather but it doesn't have a good glide imho. Similar to mitchells wool fat soap, lovely lather, bad glide. I've found the taylors sandalwood soap gives a much smoother glide. Ymmv. Been using the israeli no name blades from shaving shack, i'm finding them very good but can only get two shaves from a blade. Going to try a derby again tonight, still don't feel sufficiently comfortable with my technique to give a feather a whirl.

Hermano, thanks for the link to the coffee forum. Just bought a bialetti a few months ago and have a few questions, was wondering where to post them!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

MediaTank wrote: »
    Yes, I'm a big coffee fan, and also cigars, wine, beer and spirits :) I must stop by the coffee forum.

Ha, funnily enough, I'm a fan of my good beer myself. The best things in life and all... I'm looking at a nice o/u shotgun too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Must look at the Coffee/Tea forum. I like good coffee, but I'm very happy with my Lavazza Oro. I don't like going out of my way for beans. And I've abandoned my machine for the while, because even though I love the crema, it's never hot enough.

Back on topic, the ebayer my Adjustable Slim is coming from refunded me €1.75 because the shipping was cheaper than they expected. Now that;'s decency. Probab;y won't get it until next week though:(.

Back in Waterford we've a group 1 machine for the coffee, but back in Dublin it's a stove top pot all the way - I have having it boiled for when I'm finished shaving down to a T at this stage - Nothing like a strong coffee after a good shave to start the day tbh.

Also back on topic - I gave the yellow 7 O'Clock's a go this evening, really nice shave, much much better than the greens. Got a bit of a nick under my chin, but grand apart from that, and am like a babies arse again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

sendic wrote: »
    Been using the israeli no name blades from shaving shack, i'm finding them very good but can only get two shaves from a blade.

I can't use those blades at all, they tear the face off me for some reason. Feathers on the other hand leave me smooth with absolutely no irritation.

Sendic: I have a few unopened packs of those Israeli blades that I was just gonna chuck in the bin. If you want them PM me your address and I'll throw them in the post to you.

il gatto wrote: »
    Back on topic, the ebayer my Adjustable Slim is coming from refunded me €1.75 because the shipping was cheaper than they expected. Now that;'s decency.

I always do that. It's only right as I always just guess the cost of postage when I put an auction up.
    Ordered a tube of Speick cream from germany a while back without asking the price of postage. The shaving cream was 5 euro and the git charged me 15 euro postage :eek: (my own fault for not asking though - lesson learned)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

waraf wrote: »
    Sendic: I have a few unopened packs of those Israeli blades that I was just gonna chuck in the bin. If you want them PM me your address and I'll throw them in the post to you.

thanks for the offer man, most generous. I'll give it a few days, if there's anyone who hasn't tried them and would like to maybe they should pm you. Otherwise i'd be very happy to take them off your hands. Cheers

waraf wrote: »
    I always do that. It's only right as I always just guess the cost of postage when I put an auction up.
    Ordered a tube of Speick cream from germany a while back without asking the price of postage. The shaving cream was 5 euro and the git charged me 15 euro postage :eek: (my own fault for not asking though - lesson learned)

It's right, but I've never had the refund. Nice:cool:
    Connaught Shaving do Speik and the shipping is less than that, especially if you bundle it with a few other things (any excuse:D).

Just popped in to Boots (Waterford) today, didn't realise they had as many bits and pieces - I think it's their 'Freshwood' range for shaving, but included shaving cream (Picked one up, will give it a go soon), shaving soaps, shaving soaps in shaving bowls, talc in a black container to look manly, and shaving sticks. Had their own range of DE razors and blades along with the W.Swords, and a cheap enough looking shaving brush, didn't catch the name apart from it had an FHM award sticker on it.

Also, if you're in Waterford, Mulligans across the way have a stand for razor and brush, a brush and a pretty nice looking shaving mug, but way too pricey at €40.

Tbh, I didn't find the selection I found there in my travels around Dublin looking for 'em - Handy to know if you're interested in starting up and from the south-east.

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Just popped in to Boots (Waterford) today, didn't realise they had as many bits and pieces - I think it's their 'Freshwood' range for shaving, but included shaving cream (Picked one up, will give it a go soon), shaving soaps, shaving soaps in shaving bowls, talc in a black container to look manly, and shaving sticks. Had their own range of DE razors and blades along with the W.Swords, and a cheap enough looking shaving brush, didn't catch the name apart from it had an FHM award sticker on it.

I'm a big fan of talc on the neck after the Trumper's Skin Food has dried in. Stops irritation when wearing a collar and tie (which isn't often admittedly).
    Mine is in a green container though which isn't quite as manly as black :pac:

Hmmm, I think I'm going to have to give that black container a go then! Just gave the cream a run over there, it's not th easiest to whip up a lather with, but it smells quite nice - a bit like Davidoff's Cool Water, but not. Got a nice close shave with it too, no irritation. It seemed a little bit odd compared to other lathers though - Kind of slimey, but in a good way.

I must get my hands on some Trumpers - I've been using Aloe Vera so far, because it's completely neutral, and it works well, but must get some variety in!

I must get my hands on some Trumpers - I've been using Aloe Vera so far, because it's completely neutral, and it works well, but must get some variety in!

Hard to beat Coral Skin Food in the summer months. The West Indian Limes one is nice too.

Are they all online, or availible in any shops?

irishbarber.ie is the only shop I know of (Monaghan), so online is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Put an order in on their website for the sample pack - mine included lime, coral and one other face food as well as cream and AS samples.

http://www.trumpers.com/product_detail.cfm?ProductID=111547656

Well worth the price as they really only charge for the shipping.

Edited: looks like they've changed whats in the standard sample pack since last month
    and stuck in shower gel instead of the skin food. Maybe maile them and ask them to
    change it as they say they will on the link.

That's pretty poor. 500ml shower gel is almost £20. Skin food is a very unusual product, and having sampled it, I will order some in the near future. Shower gel is just shower gel, and if I wanted a Lime scented one, the Original Source Lime you find in places like Tesco, is hard to beat, especially at around a quarter the price. I think Trumpers are missing the point and don't know the market or who exactly it is that's made their sales go throught the roof. People who use DE razors and wooden bowls full of hard shaving soap and use brushes made from badgers, would be much more likely to find a skin food sample interesting and buyable than shower gel.

As if I didn't have enough shaving sites to spend my cash on, I just found
    a new UK site with decent pricing on TOBS and some nice starter kits

http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/mall/departmentpage.cfm/traditionalshaving/_268168/1/Starter-Kits

He's also stocking the Saint Charles range of creams and soaps which get
    great reviews on the US based fora.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

They are great starter kits. I love this one:

http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/traditionalshaving/_STA-CRE-NOR/268168/Starter-Kit---Cream

What is great is you can customise that one to have a Merkur Slant at no extra cost.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Two very good shaves the last two days,
    I've switched from Lider cream to this
    df6d60c354630a8ef4fc89a64b33cd95.jpg

Its great stuff, though costs about 10e a jar :(

• Advertisement

Haven't had a chance to shave for the last few days, early mornings and late nights... Beard is gone much much more coarse than it was before I moved on to the safety razor. Can't wait to get it off me in the morning.

Also, picked up some L'occitane aftershave balm... smells fantastic. Can't wait to give it a go.

I used a combination of Mitchells Wool fat soap and Musgo cream for
    superlather last night. It'd been a while since I'd used them both together
    but all I can say is WOW, the lanolin has left my skin super soft and I
    didn't even use any balm or post-shave treatment apart from some
    Thayers witchhazel and aloe.

Gran Hermano, where did you source the witchhazel? Does it contain alcohol?

Amalgam wrote: »
    Gran Hermano, where did you source the witchhazel? Does it contain alcohol?

After reading tonnes of threads on B&B about witch-hazel and especially
    Thayers I had to get my hands on some - there was even speculation on
    the fora there last month that Thayers were getting shills to pimp the
    products so many threads were started on it! The only place I could
    find that'd ship here was www.iherb.com Delivery costs weren't too bad
    as I ordered three different bottles and some other tea-tree products
    and delivery was around a week.

I've also used the generic witch-hazel you can get in Boots (near the pharmacy
    counter) that's around €3 but prefer the Thayers with Aloe.
    There's a couple of different types of Thayers with various amounts
    of alcohol in them. It can feel a tad tacky on the skin if you use too
    much, I get around this by using a small refillable spray bottle I picked
    up in Boots for around a euro. After a few weeks I've noticed a good
    improvement with my skin and will continue to use but as always YMMV.
    It's great for toning the skin and closing the pores after shaving and
    it will also help any redness or small nicks - especially the higher alcohol
    versions.

Here's the 3 I picked up, I haven't tried the aftershave one yet.
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=T&t=37806
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=T&t=30705
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=T&t=32145

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Beard is gone much much more coarse than it was before I moved on to the safety razor. .

I've found this too, I didn't shave for a day or two as I got awful sunburn/windburn on Thursday after working on a local beach

One of our cats basically uses my chin as a comb now. Two days of stubble and he'll spend a good few minutes working out any forehead itches..

I just got this mail from T&H:
    I am pleased to announce that Truefitt & Hill Sample Packs are now available for purchase online at:
    http://www.truefittandhill.co.uk/viewproducts.php?selection=Sample%20Packs

I also noticed Superquinn stock the Palmolive shaving cream in a tube.
    (same as this http://connaughtshaving.com/palmoliveformen.html)

They also had the Nivea AS balm half price if anyone is looking for it.

They also had the Nivea AS balm half price if anyone is looking for it.

Yeah noticed that, I picked one up :)
    Only bought it because Lidl don't appear to be stocking their balm for the last 3 weeks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

just had first shave there with merkur 34c, very nice. wasnt as tidy as i would like but thats due to me taking it very carefully. felt a much more solid and closer shave than my mach 3, and i have enough blades to do me a year. used the derbys, they didnt feel too sharp so i may give the feathers a go next.

thanks for all the info guys!

• Advertisement

Glad you're happy BP! Welcome to the club :pac:

Advertisement