Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

MediaTank wrote: »
    Depends on the blade, I've never had a dud Feather, but have had an occasional bad Merkur or Personna for example. About 1 in 50 I'd guess.

Odd, I have had dodgy Personna's too, put me right off.

Currently using 'no brand' Israeli blades that you get free at http://www.shaving-shack.com/ with your order. Kindly donated by Waraf. No worse than say Derby or the Personna.

My starter blades were pretty awful, Treet and Trig.. consistent in their awfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Very impressed with the Service from both Connaught Shaving and www.4men.ie - I placed my orders last Friday afternoon with both, the 4men order arrived yesterday and the C.S. order arrived today. That Merkur 34C is a handsome little item. Surprisingly small compared to the Cartridge type I have used previously, but reassuringly weighty and solid.

Decided to wait till the weekend for my first attempt, no rushing. Hate to be on the mooch again but would any of you kind gents point me towards YouTube tutorials that you found particularly useful please?

Cheers in advance -
    GD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

GD, Am on mobile without bookmarks but if you search either this forum or youtube for mantic59 you'll find his videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Mantic is the man for shaving vids tbh.

I learned a lot from it.

Cheers, thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Now that the good weather is upon us (for a few days anyway) I've done the seasonal switch from aftershave balm to skin food.

What say you?

I used some Lime skin food for the first time in a while the other night
    and noticed my skin felt great the next day. Anyone know where's the
    best place price wise to pick up GFT Lime?

I'm still rotating between mainly the Proraso, Musgo or La Toja balms
    with the occasional Clinique AS balm. Also used some of the No7 AS balm
    last weekend as it contains a SPF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Got some stuff in the post yesterday and I have to say, the Speik balm is great stuff. About 11-12 euro for 150ml.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Just ordered the following from shaving shack;
    merkur futur,
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap,
    "Zen" Luxury Onyx Pure Badger Shaving Brush;

Anyone know a place in dublin to buy shaving supplies? I'm looking for proraso Post Shave Cream. I know I can order this stuff online but a shop would be nice.

Anyone know a place in dublin to buy shaving supplies? I'm looking for proraso Post Shave Cream. I know I can order this stuff online but a shop would be nice.

Hardy fellow, starting with a Futur..!

strangeloop, here you go, http://www.thegroomingrooms.com/ are in Dublin. 16 South William St, Dublin 2. I know they stock a few of the Proraso range. I even have photos of the location in this thread..

The prices might be a bit, 'Dublin'.

• Advertisement

thanks amalgam, I'll check them out!:D

Knights - upstairs in Stephens Green Centre - have a supply of Proraso gear also.

Was in there browsing on Friday, nice helpful foreign ladies (easy on the eye).

Cheaper than on 4men.ie if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks GD!

GD wrote: »
    Knights - upstairs in Stephens Green Centre - have a supply of Proraso gear also.

Was in there browsing on Friday, nice helpful foreign ladies (easy on the eye).

Cheaper than on 4men.ie if I'm not mistaken.

€8 for a large tube of Proraso shaving cream, not too bad :)

Fajitas! wrote: »
    €8 for a large tube of Proraso shaving cream, not too bad :)

Is that the 150ml or 500 ml size?

I've just caved in and placed an order on http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/ for a new selection of creams/soaps -
    was tempted by some of the American stuff I haven't seen elsewhere and
    also some TOBS Avocado.

That's almost.. sensible. It is what.. close to £5 Sterling online, then you have Postage & Packaging.. and the waiting, CC charges or 3V etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Is that the 150ml or 500 ml size?

I've just caved in and placed an order on http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/ for a new selection of creams/soaps -
    was tempted by some of the American stuff I haven't seen elsewhere and
    also some TOBS Avocado.

I think that's 150ml. They do a small tub at 75ml. The pre/post is available in 100ml and 500ml, and I think the shave cream also comes in a 500ml tube.

Yep, that's for the 150ml of it

also some TOBS Avocado.

A fantastic cream IMHO, very,very nice in the summer months. Let's know how you find it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1191456/Sharp-practice-The-razor-heads-cost-just-5p-make-sell-2-43-each.html

Article on how the Office of Fair Trading is looking into the crazy prices
    on cartridge blades in the UK.
    A pack of four Fusion Power cartridges costs only 20p to manufacture, plus 8p for packaging. But they are sold for £9.72 - £9.44.
    An industry insider said Gillette takes the lion share - £6.28 - to cover its operating costs and make a profit. Some £1.90 goes to the retailer and £1.26 to the Government in VAT.

• Advertisement

So I just tried out my new purchases. Made a really nice thick lather with my Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap and badger brush. Lots and lots of hot water. Very careful with the merkur futur - no nicks!! Brilliant razor. Finished by rubbing in proraso aftershave cream. hhmmmm.... Very close shave and smells and feels really great. Much better results than I expected. No shaving rash!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1191456/Sharp-practice-The-razor-heads-cost-just-5p-make-sell-2-43-each.html

Article on how the Office of Fair Trading is looking into the crazy prices
    on cartridge blades in the UK.

In fairness to the big manufacturers like Gillette and Schick they spend a huge amount of money on R&D. If any of you saw that National Geographic programme on shaving you would have seen the R&D facilities at Schick.
    Mind you, they spend loads of cash and then after they've done all this amazing research they just stick another blade in the cartridge :rolleyes: Five assed monkey anyone? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhGb-z-4Lug

waraf wrote: »
    In fairness to the big manufacturers like Gillette and Schick they spend a huge amount of money on R&D. If any of you saw that National Geographic programme on shaving you would have seen the R&D facilities at Schick.
    Mind you, they spend loads of cash and then after they've done all this amazing research they just stick another blade in the cartridge :rolleyes: Five assed monkey anyone? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhGb-z-4Lug

Marketing is also a huge part of their budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

So I just tried out my new purchases. Made a really nice thick lather with my Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap and badger brush. Lots and lots of hot water. Very careful with the merkur futur - no nicks!! Brilliant razor. Finished by rubbing in proraso aftershave cream. hhmmmm.... Very close shave and smells and feels really great. Much better results than I expected. No shaving rash!:eek:

The bug bites deep! The only thing better now is to go for a straight

I think I will give the straight razor a miss:D It's an absolute pleasure now to shave in the morning...it really is!!! The red spotty rash I used to get on my neck is completely gone. Sometimes the old ways really were the best ways.

I think I will give the straight razor a miss:D It's an absolute pleasure now to shave in the morning...it really is!!! The red spotty rash I used to get on my neck is completely gone. Sometimes the old ways really were the best ways.

A straight is on my to do list. But at this point I don't see how I could get a better shave :D

Just a quick update, I got my first delivery from http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/.
    Really nice attention to detail with their service and packaging.

The Mama Bear soap I received is nice but I prefer Mitchell's Wool Fat
    or Proraso soap - maybe the Americans rate it so high as they can't
    get the better European stuff.

The Cyril R Slater and St Charles Shave range of products are quality
    and worth a look at.

I'm also trying out the Astra blades again (normal and keramik)
    and am really liking them, find them smoother than the Gillette 7 o'clocks
    but equally as sharp.

Finally, http://badgerandblade.com/vb/group.php?groupid=34 is a part of B&B you
    might not stumble across, has lots of UK/European related info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

MediaTank wrote: »
    A straight is on my to do list. But at this point I don't see how I could get a better shave :D

It's another YMMV thing. For me the best shave is when theres a couple of days worth and the straight is nice and sharp. Can't use it every day though - it needs to rest and I need to grow something back :)

Depending on growth...

3+ days - Straight

2 days - Straight maybe, but usually Slant with Feather or a.n.other

1 day - 38C \ Gillette Slim \ Tech with Wilkinsons, Derbys or a.n.other

A straight also takes time and I'm nowhere near as fast as this bloke ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuuuvuOzB7U

A straight also takes time and I'm nowhere near as fast as this bloke ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuuuvuOzB7U

Very impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

Have to say i agree. When i first started i didn't think i was going to stick with the razor but i loved the lather i got using a brush. Now after a few weeks my technique has improved and i've found a combination that works for me. I use boots teatree and witchhazel foaming facewash in the shower. At the sink i splash plenty of hot water on my face and then make a lather in a bowl with a badger brush and either palmolive cream or taylors sandalwood soap. Use a progress with a feather or a wilkinson sword or even one of the israels blades that came free from shaving shack. Two passes wtg, one xtg and then a little cleanup atg on any patches i missed (progress set at 2,4,4,1 respectively and relathering for each pass). Wash face with cold water then apply nivea sensitive balm. Derby blades and mitchells wool fat soap do not work for me at all. Consistently getting great shaves now with no neck irritation or cuts.

The two things i've learned are let the razor do the work, don't dig it into your skin or move it too quickly. And theres a difference between a perfectly presentable shave and removing ever last bit of stubble. If you get neck irritation, just shave enough so the visible stuff is gone.even though you can still feel stubble, there is almost nothing there and when you wash with cold water and add some balm you'll find there is practically no stubble left. If you want to get that very last bit of roughness you have to be very careful and be prepared for irritation to return.

Just want to say thanks to all the posters here for their advice

Advertisement