Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Does anyone think their skin has toned up or feels better after the switch to a DE?

It certainly exfoliates better with a DE, than using a modern disposable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I bought a cheap shaving brush and palmolive shaving cream today. I'll see how an improved preparation goes with a multi blade razor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Morf wrote: »
    I bought a cheap shaving brush and palmolive shaving cream today. I'll see how an improved preparation goes with a multi blade razor.

Proper shaving preparation is more than half the battle and even with
    a multiblade cartridge it'll help. Plus if you convert to DE shaving knowing
    how to whisk up a proper lather will stand to you.

I've noticed my stubble has changed since I moved to DE shaving - mine
    feels coarser if I don't shave for a day. As for the skin tone and health
    I'd attribute that to using proper shaving products with good ingredients
    compared to using canned goo. I know the lanolin in a lot of the products
    I've only started to use since migrating to DE shaving has had great
    results for me (not to mention the various balms!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I've noticed my stubble has changed since I moved to DE shaving - mine
    feels coarser if I don't shave for a day. As for the skin tone and health
    I'd attribute that to using proper shaving products with good ingredients
    compared to using canned goo. I know the lanolin in a lot of the products
    I've only started to use since migrating to DE shaving has had great
    results for me (not to mention the various balms!).

Technique has a lot to do with it too. You are not shaving below the skin anymore, so the stubble is more even and the course feel is due to the no hysteresis effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hi All
    I've been DE shaving about 6 months now and I really love it.
    Got myself a Merkur HD, use mostly Feathers and Israelis, Proraso Shave Cream and After Shave Balm.
    LatelY though, my shaves have been deteriorating, not always as close and my neck is constantly getting nicks, no matter how careful I am.
    I've tried different blades and it's pretty much the same..
    Has this happened to anyone else. My technique hasn't changed that I've noticed.
    Really baffled. Any help / Tips / Scolding would be appriciated...

Cheers

HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭piaget

Recently joined Badger & Blade (this is becoming an obsession:p). They have a social group called CONUK which I think is for UK, Ireland based members, they have agreed with an online shop to sell aftershave and cologne samples to members (£5 for 3 samples) quite a good selection. Might be worth a punt.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Anyone have discount codes for shaving shack, I'm due another purchase from them :)

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Hi All
    Got myself a Merkur HD, use mostly Feathers and Israelis, Proraso Shave Cream and After Shave Balm.
    LatelY though, my shaves have been deteriorating, not always as close and my neck is constantly getting nicks, no matter how careful I am.
    I've tried different blades and it's pretty much the same..
    Has this happened to anyone else. My technique hasn't changed that I've noticed.
    Really baffled. Any help / Tips / Scolding would be appriciated...

I'd try sticking to one type of blade and cream for a start. The most likely explanation is that it's a lather problem, make sure it is thick and lubricating. It may be that the cream is past it's sell by date. When using Proraso I find I have to use twice as much as I would with other creams.

MT

piaget wrote: »
    Recently joined Badger & Blade (this is becoming an obsession:p). They have a social group called CONUK which I think is for UK, Ireland based members, they have agreed with an online shop to sell aftershave and cologne samples to members (£5 for 3 samples) quite a good selection. Might be worth a punt.

Am there myself ;)

I believe that's a special sample service Connaught Shaving are running for CONUK.

I haven't seen any coupons for Shaving Shack lately, what are you looking for as I find they are not the cheapest on all.

I caved in yesterday and bought a Semogue boar brush for myself to
    go with my Semogue badger. Should be interesting comparing it to
    the Omega boar brushes.

Interesting that you guys like boar brushes, the softer the better I say. Badger all the way :)

Congrats to Gran Hermano on the 1000 post in this thread :D

• Advertisement

MediaTank wrote: »
    Interesting that you guys like boar brushes, the softer the better I say. Badger all the way :)

Congrats to Gran Hermano on the 1000 post in this thread :D

Don't get me wrong if I had to limit myself to just one brush it'd be my
    Semogue silvertip badger but I like using boar brushes with soaps for
    a bit of variety. I picked up the Semogue boar for under 15 euro delivered.

Don't get me wrong if I had to limit myself to just one brush it'd be my
    Semogue silvertip badger but I like using boar brushes with soaps for
    a bit of variety. I picked up the Semogue boar for under 15 euro delivered.

3V Visa number is being rejected by Vintage Scents, annoying.

Weird sign up for that site, I don't see why a date of birth should be an obligatory field. Mind your own business..

Only method of payment is through Paypal, which could be made clearer.

Pity, the Semogue 2000 Shaving Brush (blonde coloured boar brush) looks lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mammoo

Is that the 150ml or 500 ml size?

I've just caved in and placed an order on http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/ for a new selection of creams/soaps -
    was tempted by some of the American stuff I haven't seen elsewhere and
    also some TOBS Avocado.

I am the owner of the The Traditional Shaving Company. I was looking through my analytics and noticed I was getting quite a of of traffic referred from some "boards.ie" website that I had never heard of!

So I came along and I've seen you've been posting some very kind comments about my site and the starter kits I offer. I hope you enjoyed the different creams and soaps that you ordered. Let me know which is your favourite - I would love to be able to reward your feedback with a little free gift!

By the way I also live over on the Badger and Blade shaving forums under the same username.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Does anyone think their skin has toned up or feels better after the switch to a DE?

Absolutely. Wait until you've shaved with a DE for about six months, and you'll notice a major difference.

Interesting thread on B&B for anyone who's interested in the history of Gillette. link

Mammoo, I've seen you on B&B and we've posted on the same threads there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Amalgam wrote: »

If you stay off the goo and do the real prep yes.

If you chance using a straight (not at the barbers - the last one nicked the edge of me feltrim using a cheapo with the split DE) it can be even better.

There have been bad days too but even so the shave itself lasts a lot longer.

(note to pedants - it's "philtrum" wid a nortsoide axsent)

If you stay off the goo and do the real prep yes.

If you chance using a straight (not at the barbers - the last one nicked the edge of me feltrim using a cheapo with the split DE) it can be even better.

There have been bad days too but even so the shave itself lasts a lot longer.

(note to pedants - it's "philtrum" wid a nortsoide axsent)

I had to look that up.. Now that I know. [shudder]

Came across an interesting piece of news today. I'm guess most of the readers and posters here are buying off ebay and various commercial internet sites due to the nature of our little hobby. I'm also guess this is primarily due to the shortage of suitable outlets in Ireland.

I'm no Cracker or Tony Hill any other kind of profiler but I imagine a lot of us are here for similar reasons and all borne out of our ability to see the best in life and want the best from life without being manipulated by marketing departments and governments, as well as enjoying the challenge of learning a skill. As such I believe that if there is any truth to the stories in the attached links we will find it out.

I'll warn you now that these links have nothing to do with shaving, malt whiskey, expensive colognes, fine cigars or proper watches.
    They do however suggest that anyone in the market for any of these should maybe wait a few days or weeks before committing to any US dollar based
    purchases.

general search pattern:

http://www.google.ie/search?rlz=1C1CHMG_enIE291IE304&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=japanese+billion+bonds

specific reports:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=ayy1QKcwcGN0

http://seekingalpha.com/instablog/420590-marli/8420-did-the-japanese-try-to-dump-135-billion-in-us-bonds-on-the-black-market

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article6507161.ece

Okay - while this is not related to shaving, and I do apologies now, it does imply that if the bonds are real - the dollar may fall and fall rapidly thereby reducing the costs of our razors, blades and allied equipment if source from the other side of the pond; and if they are forgeries it means that somebody somewhere is seeking to manipulate the bond markets with the intention of collapsing the dollar.

I'll warn you now that these links have nothing to do with shaving, malt whiskey, expensive colognes, fine cigars or proper watches.
    They do however suggest that anyone in the market for any of these should maybe wait a few days or weeks before committing to any US dollar based
    purchases.

Interesting, just add fine wine and beer to the list and you have all of my vices nailed :D

MediaTank wrote: »
    Interesting, just add fine wine and beer to the list and you have all of my vices nailed :D

Only iof they're single estate or artisan hop blends ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

My second effort at using a shaving brush and palmolive shaving cream. The first was an unmitigated disaster.

I took advice from why father who used to shave with a brush but his guess was completely wrong. half a cup of water was not necessary to mix a lather.

Tonight i took a look at mantic's video on mixing a lather and i got ok results.

Soaked the brush then used a decent blob of cream. It didn't quite get as thick as i'd anticipated though. I still had a decent shave though.

Any pointers for the future? I think i shall be perfecting this for a few weeks before i make any further outlays on razors/blades/pre and post shave creams.

I believe i have a cheap boar brush based on the really strong odour from it when i had it soaking and when i used it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Morf wrote: »
    My second effort at using a shaving brush and palmolive shaving cream. The first was an unmitigated disaster.

I took advice from why father who used to shave with a brush but his guess was completely wrong. half a cup of water was not necessary to mix a lather.

Tonight i took a look at mantic's video on mixing a lather and i got ok results.

Soaked the brush then used a decent blob of cream. It didn't quite get as thick as i'd anticipated though. I still had a decent shave though.

Any pointers for the future? I think i shall be perfecting this for a few weeks before i make any further outlays on razors/blades/pre and post shave creams.

I believe i have a cheap boar brush based on the really strong odour from it when i had it soaking and when i used it first.
    To get the feeling of what you need why not start with less water and build the lather up slowly by add a couple of drops of water here and there. When the brush is soaked, squeeze out a little water before you use it and then add the water slowly manually.

After a while of doing it this was you will be quicker at judging how much water you should use initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mammoo

axer wrote: »
    To get the feeling of what you need why not start with less water and build the lather up slowly by add a couple of drops of water here and there. When the brush is soaked, squeeze out a little water before you use it and then add the water slowly manually.

After a while of doing it this was you will be quicker at judging how much water you should use initially.

This is good advice. It sounds like you have too much water. After soaking your brush for a minute or two give it a quick shake to get the excess water out. Then start whipping away at a decent size amount of cream. Keep doing this for a minute or so until all the water from the brush has been absorbed. Gradually add water about half a teaspoon at a time and whip it up for 20 - 30 seconds each time. With a decent brush I find I don't need to add much water at all after the initial whip.

Remember you are going for a whipped egg-white consistency. If you pull your brush out of the cream and you don't get nice big peaks then you don't have a good lather.

Another new vendor I've ordered from is http://www.melyus.com/products.html

He's on B&B and The Shave Den, gets great feedback, and has good prices on blades and Arko creams/soap.

I placed an order for some Arko creams and Astra Keramik blades today (I'm really enjoying these blades at the moment). He also stocks Egyptian blades, Shark brand which again are getting good reviews and are cheap!

A gift and a purchase lately.. I was in a chemist and couldn't resist buying a tube of Erasmic, it was on the shelf.. just calling to me.

If you're a fan of 'Classic Paco Rabanne', it is very like that, the scent after it has settled on your skin for a minute or so. But with an Eastern musk like sweetness tagging along.

Price wasn't too shabby, considering it was a chemist.. I wasn't questioning the value of it too much, to be honest, €2.99, 75ml.

giftsandpurchases.jpg

The cream from the tube is very much like WARS, polystyrene white, but the texture, between forefinger and thumb, has more bulk and is quite viscous.

I was given my first shaving soap, local French brand, L'Òme Selon Durance, en Provence. Sweet scent, that'll get a try during the week-end some time.

---

Freebies

Anyone want a brush? This was my first.. but it is just idling since I moved to a (blonde) Boar\Pig hair brush.

The brush has been used for about 3 /4 months. The base Men-Ü brush model. Mixed hair, no idea what it is exactly. The bristles will be steeped in a very very light Milton solution before being sent out.

freebrushjune.jpg

The brush is plain, just a red, no logo handle.

Make a request after this post, on thread please.. and I'll pop it in a jiffy and post it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

I'll take that brush off yer hands dude

Not a bother hamsterboy, send me a PM with an address of some sort and I'll pop it into a postal box.

Stalk your Postman\woman. Brush on the way..

Just browsing.. Lee's Safety Razor's are selling a rather odd Merkur Progress.

Take a look.

lhprogress.jpg

http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Merkur-Progress-Long-Handle.html

Long handled Merkur Progress. Official Merkur, or bodged afterwards?

Lee's also sell the Merkur mutation, the Mergress and the Mergress XL.

Over at https://sites.google.com/site/bobsrazorworks/ Bob's selling some rather attractive 'Bulldog' handles, which basically seems to be the Merkur HD rings on steroids.

brwbulldog.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Amalgam - have you bought from Bob?

I'm struggling a bit with my Merkur HD 34C, find it very short compared to my old cartridge razor. One of Bobs Handles might be just what I need ...

Or maybe I should just go for a 38C ? Would value opinions! Thanks.

Advertisement