Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

GD, I haven't, but he gets an ok at B&B and various other forums. A member on thread has purchased from him, but their name escapes me at this point.. (4am)

I guess you know Merkur do long handles, here's the selection at Connaught Shaving:

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/merkur.html

Long handle: 12C HD - 23C - 25C - 38C - 39C

A long handle for a Merkur is 95mm / 9.5cm, measure that out on a ruler and see if it is acceptable to you.

---

Shaved with a shaving-shack.com (free with your order, non brand, Israel) blade today, along with a return to Proraso after a two week break, it made me appreciate just how pleasant it is to shave with Proraso in this weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I bought a replacement metal knob for my Progress from Bob and have
    no problems in recommending him - send him a PM via B&B.

As Amalgam said have a look at the longer handled Merkur. I have the 39c (slant)
    which is one of the long handled models and am tempted to get the 38c
    as well. I really like the longer handle of the 39c compared to my 34c HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Amalgam wrote: »
    Shaved with a shaving-shack.com (free with your order, non brand, Israel) blade today, along with a return to Proraso after a two week break, it made me appreciate just how pleasant it is to shave with Proraso in this weather.

Agree - Wonderful cream for warm summer days.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Thanks for the advice. As always - you Facial Hair Lads are most helpful. :D

GD wrote: »
    I'm struggling a bit with my Merkur HD 34C, find it very short compared to my old cartridge razor. One of Bobs Handles might be just what I need ...

Or maybe I should just go for a 38C ? Would value opinions! Thanks.

Remember with a safety razor you hold it with your fingertips at the end. So a short handle is an advantage really. I've a couple of Gillette long handle slims from the 60s/70s and find them awkward to handle.

MT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Slightly OT but rather than start a new thread...

I know most of you gentlemen probably only use the finest porcelain bowls or mugs,but in these hard times I came across a handy substitute in a Homebase store.

It's called a Hutton Dip Dish,it's a nice stoneware type bowl and does just the job for lathering...all for the princely sum of

€ 1.49 :)

dish.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

How low can you go, water buffalo.. 95 or 99 cent, I forget the specifics. Transfers the heat from hot water in a sink, to the shaving cream, very quickly.

puddingshaving.jpg

I only needed to open a finger up once, with the broken handle of a mug, to ban ceramics from the shaving experience.

That 'mini-me' pudding bowl size is very common, you can cup it with your hand very well.

I like that bowl though, I keep thinking your avatar should be eating kibbles and snout from it..

Any other colours?

I like that bowl though, I keep thinking your avatar should be eating kibbles and snout from it..

Any other colours?

LOL ...Now that you mention it Hayley has a nice small stainless steel bowl that we bring on walks..... see in this pic..

3629311809_d43e93ba53.jpg

No other colours that I could see,although they had mugs plates etc in other colours(In Portlaoise)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

anyone here use a moss scuttle for shaving? keeps the lather warm between shaves. The catch is, it's VERY expensive to buy from america. Anyone know if there is a pottery shop in Ireland selling them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

anyone here use a moss scuttle for shaving? keeps the lather warm between shaves. The catch is, it's VERY expensive to buy from america. Anyone know if there is a pottery shop in Ireland selling them?

Yes I've got a large moss scuttle and you're right they are expensive. The shipping is the same cost as the item itself. I also broke the handle off mine very early on. I e-mailled the girl who makes them and told her that the handles are way too small for the size of the thing and they break off too easily as a result but I don't know if she did anything about it.

Having said all that, if you're looking for a luxurious shave it's the only way to go. Pour not quite boiling water in the bottom and then make up your lather. Normally when I shave it's two passes max. When I use the scuttle the lather is so nice to spread across my face it's three or four passes easily :D

• Advertisement

The Moss Scuttle is a particular type of shaving scuttle. Do a search on eBay for 'shaving scuttle', and you'll find them cheap enough. The Moss Scuttle is only sold direct by the maker AFAIK.

Mt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Thanks chaps, I'll check out ebay. sorry to hear about the handle breaking off so easily waraf, you should get a refund.

Any slant users about? I gave my 39c a spin over the weekend as I'd a couple of days growth to clear and I thought it only fair to give the Fatboy a rest.
    Maybe it was the new Super Iridium I loaded (boy are they sharp) or a slip in my technique but I managed to shave too close and am paying the price
    with my first couple of ingrown hairs since I made the switch to DEs.

Those slants can be pretty aggressive but lesson learnt.

MT, I noticed you mentioned you had one but also don't use it too much, any reason?

As for scuttles and lather bowls, I'm using two bowls with the smaller fitting inside the larger one. The larger one is hand thrown
    and heavy so it holds the heat and the other is a mini cooking bowl. I fill up the large bowl with hot water and then sit the smaller one inside.
    Keeps the bowl of lather nice and warm. Might be worth asking a local potter, check those farmers/craft markets, and see if they'll make
    the scuttle or bowl you want. It'd be a lot cheaper than shipping one from the USA.

Any slant users about? I gave my 39c a spin over the weekend as I'd a couple of days growth to clear and I thought it only fair to give the Fatboy a rest.
    Maybe it was the new Super Iridium I loaded (boy are they sharp) or a slip in my technique but I managed to shave too close and am paying the price
    with my first couple of ingrown hairs since I made the switch to DEs.

Those slants can be pretty aggressive but lesson learnt.

MT, I noticed you mentioned you had one but also don't use it too much, any reason?

You've just discovered why :D Aggressive shave and one pass is enough, but it was the first time I had cut myself in years. I found that it takes too long to shave with one because you have to shave slooowly, so I stick to the Fatboy.

MT

Is it as bad as a Futur maxed out? I tried that once, 'for a laugh', start.. nick.

I don't think I've seen YouTube of a slant being used. I have been umming and ahhing over buying one.

MediaTank wrote: »
    You've just discovered why :D Aggressive shave and one pass is enough, but it was the first time I had cut myself in years. I found that it takes too long to shave with one because you have to shave slooowly, so I stick to the Fatboy.

MT

Whilst I didn't cut myself it did feel like I'd had a deep exfoliation and removed a couple of mil of skin!:eek:

I've just ordered more shaving gear from http://www.provencesante.fr/
    I was looking for Provence de Pre shaving soap and stumbled across this which after looking at the reviews gets glowing feedback.
    Needless to say I went overboard and got the cream, soap, balm and AS. Well they do have 20% off at the mo'.

Is it as bad as a Futur maxed out? I tried that once, 'for a laugh', start.. nick.

I don't think I've seen YouTube of a slant being used. I have been umming and ahhing over buying one.

Worse because of the slant. Try one you might like it. It looks very cool and dangerous!

I'm not too bothered about the coolness factor. Blood free is important to me!

Just curious, does anyone hang their razor, brush.. from the shower curtain rail \ pole?

I'll buy something and adapt it, or bodge a bit of metal lying about at home. Hell, even a wire coat-hanger might do.

---

I shaved with WARS today, along with an anonymous Shaving Shack blade. I'm a sucker for that orange blossom scent mixed in.

I'd say a maxed out Futur with a Feather would be close but I find it a different type of 'aggressive' with a different/worse effect on my skin after.
    I don't like the slant with an Astra or Iridium blade but it's fine with a Red
    Personna or similar.

Have any of you Feather fans tried the Astras (either Keramik or plain) or
    Super Iridium? From the same plant as the Gillette 7o'clocks and apart from
    the oily smell when you open them I find them great.

I was 1 click away from ordering a Dovo straight earlier, I know I'll give in
    eventually. Anyone try a Dovo Shavette, can't help thinking whilst they're easier to keep sharp it's not a proper straight.

Some of the Astras put me off, I'll get flak for saying this, but I find the packaging a bit.. 'Eastern Bloc'. It just doesn't fill me with confidence.

<-- Blade packaging prejudice.

Gran Hermano: Never judge a book by its cover etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Any slant users about?

I'm a huge fan of the slant razor, I've been using DE razors for roughly 6 months and I've had my best shaves with a slant. I picked up a Merkur 37C slant at an antique shop in the States for $12. Once I had enough experience using the Progress 570 I started using the slant. I bought a Merkur 12C last week but I still prefer the Merkur 37C over all my DE razors and I have the following in my collection.

Merkur Progress 570
    Merkur 12C HD
    Merkur Vision 2000 (waste of money but a nice addition to my collection)
    Gillette Fatboy
    Gillette Slim

I'm using a yellow feather in the slant. My favourite blades so far are Feather, Derby and the Amercian Personna.

I was 1 click away from ordering a Dovo straight earlier, I know I'll give in
    eventually. Anyone try a Dovo Shavette, can't help thinking whilst they're easier to keep sharp it's not a proper straight.

Indirectly, I've been shaved a few times with them. There's quite a bit of bend in the blade. Get a proper straight razor if you're going down that route.

Another new vendor I've ordered from is http://www.melyus.com/products.html

He's on B&B and The Shave Den, gets great feedback, and has good prices on blades and Arko creams/soap.

Another vote for this man

Ordered some blades last weekend,arrived this morning with a couple of extra packs thrown in.

Good value especially for bigger(i.e 100 blade) orders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Another vote for this man

Ordered some blades last weekend,arrived this morning with a couple of extra packs thrown in.

Good value especially for bigger(i.e 100 blade) orders

LOL that guy has some crazy pricing.

Derby - 10 blades = $8
    Derby - 100 blades = $16 :eek:

Apart from the Derby blades is there anything worth buying from this site?

DonJose wrote: »

Derby - 10 blades = $8

I guess it's becuase shipping is included.

Derby - 10 blades = $8

I picked up 100 Astra Keramik blades and a few different tubes of Arko cream. The Shark blades get good reviews but I havent ordered yet.

There's pretty much the complete Arko range, some of which I haven't seen for sale anywhere else.

There's pretty much the complete Arko range, some of which I haven't seen for sale anywhere else.

What, even in the barbers on Aungier St? :D

Heh, Ali, who gives me the knacker blade 1 special every six weeks or so.

They only sell Arko sticks. Cheaper than the website mind you.. The sticks are a tad harsh on the skin. Dry it out.

MT, they do sell.. split Derby blades though, shavette, at a guess. Hundreds in one box. Basically a safety razor blade split in half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Passed that barbers in Aungier Street today at lunchtime.

Complete Friday impulse buy, some lovely brushes in the window.

"How much for the Badger hair brush?" I ask ....

Answer from one of the lovely lady barbers - "Not for sale, display only". :(

Advertisement