Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Amalgam wrote: »
    Are they bottom heavy, or is the handle hollow?

Yes the handle is hollow which makes it slightly top heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

waraf wrote: »
    The picture above isn't the actual razor that I have it's just a pic from google. The laquer on my one has peeled off in several places so cleaning has no effect. The only thing that would bring it back to its former glory would be a new coat of laquer.

Fair enough.

MT

Yes the handle is hollow which makes it slightly top heavy

And great for shaving, the razor will do all the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I spent the last week revisiting my Progress, thought it only fair I gave the Fatboys a rest.
    Must say I've had some great shaves with the Progress so much so that I ordered the new long handled version.

I also ordered a Dovo Shavette - which I'm probably going to regret!

After trying another another load of soaps and creams, I can highly recommend the TOBs Avocado.
    Mitchells Wool Fat soap is still beating any of the others I'm using on the soap side.

Here's another supplier of shaving gear in the UK I just ordered from:
    http://timothyedwards.co.uk/

After trying another another load of soaps and creams, I can highly recommend the TOBs Avocado.

It you like the Avocado then you'll most likely dig the Lavender too.

MT

• Advertisement

MediaTank wrote: »
    It you like the Avocado then you'll most likely dig the Lavender too.

MT

I can't do the lavender, be it skin food or shaving cream.
    The scent reminds me of old folks homes and ICA meetings
    (not that I frequent either :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Merkur is getting a bit fruity..

ergonomichandle.jpg

Red: http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/product.php?productid=2892

Blue: http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/product.php?productid=2891

I wouldn't mind a thick handle. I wonder what the weight distribution is like.

It's just.. looking at it, you get the feeling someone will end up in A&E sooner or later, after shoving it up their quim\arse.

It's just.. looking at it, you get the feeling someone will end up in A&E sooner or later, after shoving it up their quim\arse.

Remind me never to let you near my bathroom Amalgam ;):D

My smut peddling aside, it looks like it would be ok. It's the modern look of it that puts me off, I don't know why it should, as long as it handles well..

Stumbled across unscented shaving cream, you'd think there'd be a larger market for it, what with allergies etc.. Truefitt & Hill.

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/Truefitt_Ultimate_Comfort_Shaving_Cream_Tube.html#a1894

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

My smut peddling aside, it looks like it would be ok. It's the modern look of it that puts me off, I don't know why it should, as long as it handles well..

The shape of it looks like it would discourage the recommended grip of holding it lightly at the bottom...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Hey Dord, I have a gillette gold tech razor that was given to me a while back that I never use. It's not in collectible condition or anything but it still works perfectly. You're more than wecome to it as I was just gonna chuck it out anyway. It looks like this one below. PM me if you want

gold-tech-case-2-10.jpg

Thanks for the offer waraf, but it'd probably just sit on my shelf for the next few months while I use up the regular blades.

One of the other lads could use it now so I'll let them have first call on it. ;)

Dord wrote: »
    Thanks for the offer waraf, but it'd probably just sit on my shelf for the next few months while I use up the regular blades.

One of the other lads could use it now so I'll let them have first call on it. ;)

No worries Dord. Amalgam, do you still want it?

I do indeed Waraf, I'm not concerned with how it looks, just the shave. I'd be more than happy to give it a home. Many thanks.

I have your details from before, just tell me if you want P&P, I can send you a clutch of stamps to cover expenses.

I do indeed Waraf, I'm not concerned with how it looks, just the shave. I'd be more than happy to give it a home. Many thanks.

I have your details from before, just tell me if you want P&P, I can send you a clutch of stamps to cover expenses.

No problem mate. I'll stick it in the post on Monday

Cheers Waraf, despite my volumes of waffle in the thread that would indicate otherwise.. this will be my first vintage razor.

Very nice to get shaving related presents.. I had to ask about the price though.

If you're going on holidays in France, the supermarket chain, Intermarché, have the following, 'Pure Badger' shaving brush on sale for under 4 euro.

intermarchefrance4euro.jpg

I was also given my first shaving bowl, plastic, cheap and cheerful, no idea what kind of soap it is, intrigued that it says, 'au lait', but that could mean moisturising in some way, lotion like, not from a cow.

monsavonintermarche.jpg

Nothing like using a 15 year + tube of Palmolive.. from a dead relative. Smells fine, still soft in the tube. I'll use the graveyard shaving cream tomorrow..

graveyardshavingcream.jpg

French Palmolive, smells nicer than the green version sold over here. Oddly, there's a royal crest on the tube, just visible.

Amalgam, there's a review of that soap on B&B if you haven't seen it already. I'm just starting to use my first French soap from Provence Sante - their aftershave lotion is great stuff with loads of good ingredients and I will buy again.

I can't do the lavender, be it skin food or shaving cream.
    The scent reminds me of old folks homes and ICA meetings
    (not that I frequent either :D )

I know what you mean, but if you can try a sample you'll see what I mean. The creams made from plants are fantastic, I include Violet, Almond, Rose and Lavender in the list. All TOBS are great.

MediaTank wrote: »
    I know what you mean, but if you can try a sample you'll see what I mean. The creams made from plants are fantastic, I include Violet, Almond, Rose and Lavender in the list. All TOBS are great.

TOBS is one brand I keep buying, I've just ordered their sensitive shaving cream
    to see how it compares to their others as I believe they have used a new
    formula/set of ingredients for it.

My new long handled Progress arrived yesterday and I used it last night.
    Feels much different to the normal shorter handled Progress but I like it.
    It's similar length to the Futur or other long handled 38c/39c and has a
    nice amount of weight to it, just need to allow for the extra heft as I feel
    it makes it a tad more aggressive but the fact it's adjustable means you
    can dial it down. If anyone is looking for a long handled razor it's worth
    a punt. (The need for both versions is probably overkill!).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My new long handled Progress arrived yesterday...........

Where did you buy the long handled version and how much did it set you back?

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Where did you buy the long handled version and how much did it set you back?

http://timothyedwards.co.uk/Brand/Merkur/Merkur-Long-Handled-Progress-Adjustable-Safety-Razor/p-70-88-249/

Razor Priced at GBP 37.95

Delivery was under a week and cost GBP 3.95.

Is it just me, or has the price of the HD and Progress crept up recently?

Talking of prices and Merkur value, would the actual razor head on the 1904 be the same as the HD? You can pick up the 1904 for as little as 16 odd euro, which isn't too shabby.

Gran Hermano, what's the weight like?

Is it just me, or has the price of the HD and Progress crept up recently?

Talking of prices and Merkur value, would the actual razor head on the 1904 be the same as the HD? You can pick up the 1904 for as little as 16 odd euro, which isn't too shabby.

I'm not sure what I paid for my Progress, think it was around the £35 mark
    so the long handled is roughly the same. Whilst I have a HD I don't have the 1904
    to compare but I too have heard the head is the same..

I'll dig out the scales I use for coffee this eve and compare the weights
    of the long and short handled Progress razors. I've a dozen others I can
    weigh up for comparison if needed. The long handled Progrees felt heavier
    than even my Progress with the modified metal end (think Mergress but
    done by CooncatBob on B&B).

Cheers for the review on the soap. A 'soft' soap with Sodium Tallowate, which seems to be a few processes removed from Tallow. So, not too gross.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_tallowate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallow

Cheers for the review on the soap. A 'soft' soap with Sodium Tallowate, which seems to be a few processes removed from Tallow. So, not too gross.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_tallowate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallow

I believe it's the tallow that makes MWF so good, tallow and lanolin. Seems that as long as your water isn't hard you can't go wrong with tallow based soaps - Tabac is another.

Forgot to add, the Monsavon was about one euro sixty.

Here's the weight comparison of the two models of Progress:
    -Progress Long Handle 99g
    -Progress Short Handle 90g

-Progress Short Handle (metal knob*) 101g

*(I purchased a Mergress type metal knob on B&B from Cooncatbob)

For further comparison:
    Gillette Fusion, non battery version, with cartridge 41g
    Gillette Slim Adjustable 71g
    Gillette Fatboy 81g
    Merkur 39c, long handle slant 110g
    Merkur Futur, satin 123g
    Merkur HD 77g

The Gillette Superspeeds seem to vary depending on year and version but range from 56 to 59g.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

Is the internet the only place where safety razors can be bought? Or does anyone know of any good shops in ireland? And where are the cartridges bought?

Knights Barber's in Dublin sell safety razors.

The Grooming Rooms also have a wide selection. Again in Dublin.

Boots have a selection of gels and shaving creams, along with blades, and a limited selection of shaving brushes. Certain branches also stock a cheap and cheerful Wilkinson Sword Safety Razor.

The Wilkinson Classic safety razor.

wilkinsonswordclassic56.jpg

You can buy blades in most chemists, along with shaving cream and brushes. Certain Tesco branches stock safety razor blades, as I'm sure do some of the other supermarkets.

If I think of other places in Dublin, I'll post.. :)

• Advertisement

Such a pity that Thomas Read is not in business anymore - what a shop. Sold straight and safety razors.

Waldos Barbershop also sells safety razors, as does The Decent Cigar Emporium.

MT

Advertisement